As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Don't Starve!] ...or get eaten by anything horrible. (But you totally will.)

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    The giants are the worst thing they ever added to the game. It's some serious "welp, I guess I'm fucked" bullshit.

I wish this wasn't true, but it is.

The giants would have been cool as optional bosses that you could choose to summon. Their current implementation just make them into bullshit game enders if you are not prepared.
    I haven't played in a pretty long time, but I don't recall them being a huge deal. My standard protocol is to gather some survival gear, book it to the nearest wormhole, and flee into the wilderness until it blows over. If I don't have the resources to be able to rough it for a couple of days, I feel like my death is deserved. I don't think I've had to do this in summer yet, though.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    The giants are the worst thing they ever added to the game. It's some serious "welp, I guess I'm fucked" bullshit.

The giants would have been cool as optional bosses that you could choose to summon. Their current implementation just make them into bullshit game enders if you are not prepared.

Terraria model, eh? A good point, but having certain types stalk you over time is interesting.

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    blah

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »

I haven't played in a pretty long time, but I don't recall them being a huge deal. My standard protocol is to gather some survival gear, book it to the nearest wormhole, and flee into the wilderness until it blows over. If I don't have the resources to be able to rough it for a couple of days, I feel like my death is deserved. I don't think I've had to do this in summer yet, though.

Key part being "if you are not prepared", though in fairness I guess that can be said for a lot of the game. The Deerclops will actively target your buildings, trying to destroy as much of your base as possible, as will the dragonfly through liberal use of fire, that then spreads even further. The Bearger is probably the easiest to deal with, and I have never met the Goose/Moose.

• Options
    Goose/Moose leaves you alone. Mostly. Just give it wide berth.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    I think the problem with the giants is, unlike just about every other threat in the game, there's no lesson to take away from them & nothing you can really do to prevent them from ending your run prematurely (though in fairness, the same is true of McTusk, as far as I can tell). You just have to cross your fingers and hope one doesn't wander your way until you're ready for it.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »

Key part being "if you are not prepared", though in fairness I guess that can be said for a lot of the game. The Deerclops will actively target your buildings, trying to destroy as much of your base as possible, as will the dragonfly through liberal use of fire, that then spreads even further. The Bearger is probably the easiest to deal with, and I have never met the Goose/Moose.
    I'm pretty sure the Deerclops won't actively seek out your base if you aren't in it. As soon as you hear the stomping, you grab a few days' worth of food, a stack of wood, and whatever other tools and critical supplies you have on hand and then run away as far as you can as fast as you can. If you use a wormhole or two it won't usually find you. Then you just have to survive without your base for a few days until it blows over. This doesn't really require much preparation above and beyond what you should already be doing to deal with any number of other threats. You don't need some special plan for killing a giant. If you have no food, no healing items, fraying sanity, and the hounds are overdue for an appearance, then you might die out in the wilderness, but you were already hanging by a thread in that case. The giant was just a catalyst.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The secret to that one is always have a secondary base and accept your main one might get trashed and ruined

• Options
    edited October 2014
    The Ender wrote: »
    I think the problem with the giants is, unlike just about every other threat in the game, there's no lesson to take away from them & nothing you can really do to prevent them from ending your run prematurely (though in fairness, the same is true of McTusk, as far as I can tell). You just have to cross your fingers and hope one doesn't wander your way until you're ready for it.

Well I do consider the giants to be a bit outsized as threats. A couple of the major ones can't be evaded or killed without extremely specialized information and resources.
    Beargers will go to sleep after you feed them a quantity of honey and you can leave him alone until the season change despawns him (or kill him).
    Ash has the same effect for the Dragonfly.

With luck, exploration will locate the Glommer statue, which you'll want to mine for the Old Bell blueprint. And you'll want to visit it during the full moon to build a few Bells.
    Old Bells will three-shot a giant. One bell is one giant kill. But you need to be able to pin them in place while the summon takes effect. Either use one of the methods above, a sleep item or the Ice Staff to accomplish this.
    A large enough stack of gunpowder can also weaken a giant enough so you can just reap it for drops with one swipe.

Moose/Goose is evadable. Just don't come near it or fuck with the kids or nest. Even the babies are dangerous fighters in their own right. You may want to kill one for fun, but the drops really aren't worth it. Just try to place its nest away from your base. (I actually hate geese and moose. Worst animals ever. I almost want to murder this giant on the principle of the thing.)

Deerclops is the easiest to kill in a direct confrontation, but he has no built-in way to put him to sleep. Comparatively, the other giants can knock your weapon out of your hand or just do insane amounts of damage. I think there's a limit on the number of swipes it'll use on your buildings, but that's little comfort if you like playing SimCity like I do.

The easiest way of killing McTusk is to track him into a flock of ever-ubiquitous Pengulls, which he'll foolishly attack. He'll get swarmed by them and die. With luck, you'll get some of his nicer drops.
    McTusk has the ability to track you within a certain radius, but you can break his lock on you if you run far enough. Run serpentine if he does attack you. He can't kill you at all if you're playing evasively.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Question for Don't Starve peeps: herding beefalo.

I've got a map where there's a huge beefalo herd on this tiny little grassland, terribly near some killer bees and not much else - not an ideal place for a camp. Far to the north (or what I consider to be north) is a vast grasslands with two beefalo on it, next to some meadow, with a thick forest within striking distance and a wormhole that'll pop me out right next to prime mining territory. That is camp town.

Is it possible to get the big beefalo herd up to the northern grasslands through use of the beefalo horn? If I (patiently) get them to follow me all the way up there, will they stay or will they overnight back to their previous home?

Any advice would be awesome.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Chance wrote: »

I've got a map where there's a huge beefalo herd on this tiny little grassland, terribly near some killer bees and not much else - not an ideal place for a camp. Far to the north (or what I consider to be north) is a vast grasslands with two beefalo on it, next to some meadow, with a thick forest within striking distance and a wormhole that'll pop me out right next to prime mining territory. That is camp town.

Is it possible to get the big beefalo herd up to the northern grasslands through use of the beefalo horn? If I (patiently) get them to follow me all the way up there, will they stay or will they overnight back to their previous home?

Kill them until you get the horn.
    Blow the horn and they will follow you.

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular

But once I've gotten them to the vast northen plains, will they stay?

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular

Don't know if it's changed but back when I was playing a lot, you can herd them somewhere and then build walls to keep them in.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular

I believe every couple of minutes, the game calculates herds. They will try to walk back to their old home, but if you get them far enough away, when herd calculation happens, they will get a new home. So drag them up there and block them for a while and sooner or later, they will latch on to the new spot.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I think that members assigned to a given "herd" move towards the geometric center of the group. So they try to regroup halfway if split.
    The behavior is weird and tends to break though. I've had the occasional Beefalo teleport into remote locations, so give them a bit of room.
    Merging herds is possible, but I suspect that Beefalo breeding is capped out at a certain population density. So having herds spread out is a good idea.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    ?.jpeg
    Fuck McTusk and all that he stands for. Lots of running and dodging to survive this.

• Options
    How, uh

How did you survive having 0 hp?

• Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Looks like Don't Starve is on sale, along with the Reign of Giants DLC. I'll be getting the DLC tonight! Woo!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    How, uh

How did you survive having 0 hp?

No

Fucking

Clue

• Options
    edited October 2014

Twenty Sided on
  • Options

Hmmmmm, indeed.

I think it was really I had [0 < health < 1]

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    If you signed up for the Don't Starve Together beta, watch your inbox. They're sending keys to everyone who signed up from now to the 15th. I just got mine today. :D

Man in the Mists on
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    See I'd sign up, but I'd need somebody to actually play with. I don't really fancy playing with randoms, and I can't really recommend the game to my mates while the actual multiplayer is still in closed beta.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    I'm waiting on a finished release.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Just figured I should remind people that it's now possible to buy into the multiplayer beta through Steam for 5 bucks per two keys. I've been playing with a couple of friends and we've had a lot of fun so far, but the lack of caves and RoG content will certainly limit the longevity of the game until they are released. If you love the game enough to want to play a limited version of it with your friends I can recommend it! If not, then you might as well wait until you get it for free some time in January.

Vic on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    @nexuscrawler and I gave it a spin yesterday, and the group dynamic is neat. Even with total vanilla settings, early survival is challenging, in part because of the number of people who need to be fed on the same amount of food as you'd find in a normal game. But, at the same time, it makes those later days when you end up spending the whole day messing around with the crockpot a little more important/productive.

• Options
    Just figured I should remind people that it's now possible to buy into the multiplayer beta through Steam for 5 bucks per two keys. I've been playing with a couple of friends and we've had a lot of fun so far, but the lack of caves and RoG content will certainly limit the longevity of the game until they are released. If you love the game enough to want to play a limited version of it with your friends I can recommend it! If not, then you might as well wait until you get it for free some time in January.

I do see the multiplayer as something thats going to push modding in a totally new direction that'll produce interesting results.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    @nexuscrawler and I gave it a spin yesterday, and the group dynamic is neat. Even with total vanilla settings, early survival is challenging, in part because of the number of people who need to be fed on the same amount of food as you'd find in a normal game. But, at the same time, it makes those later days when you end up spending the whole day messing around with the crockpot a little more important/productive.

The wolf attacks are no joke either. I was far from base when the second one hit during our last game and had to run for my life with a torch to get back to base. Because they kept spawning as I ran we ended up fighting at least 7 at once, of which one was a red wolf. We managed to survive, but half the base burned down and we each got bit more than half a dozen times .

Vic on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, I was going to say something about that and forgot, our first hound attack was 8 hounds. Luckily I had a free range treeguard and he dealt with them pretty readily, but one of those was a fire hound who lit nearly an entire forest on fire when he went down. We now have like 4 full stacks of charcoal (which seems to be a more efficient fuel in a fire pit since you can stack them to 40 instead of 20 like logs?)

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I was wondering what sort of systems would be in place to prevent griefers from simply, for instance, stealing all of the food or setting everything on fire. In my very first session I got my answer; there aren't any and somebody did exactly that. He seemed awfully proud of himself, too, which is kind of sad. I guess my fears about playing with randoms were justified, and it looks like if you're playing with pubs you really don't want to drop anything unless you're ok with never seeing it again.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Is don't starve together going to feature anything that adds to the single player experience?

Also my understanding is that eventually it will be free for everyone. The wording on the page seems a bit confusing.

• Options
    There's a handful of items thats are new for the multiplayer

right now it's a pared down version of what you get in RoG. There's no caves and no dlc content. I'd assume they're going to be rolling in the newer features slowly as the beta goes on.

• Options
    Oh yeah, I was going to say something about that and forgot, our first hound attack was 8 hounds. Luckily I had a free range treeguard and he dealt with them pretty readily, but one of those was a fire hound who lit nearly an entire forest on fire when he went down. We now have like 4 full stacks of charcoal (which seems to be a more efficient fuel in a fire pit since you can stack them to 40 instead of 20 like logs?)

Charcoal stacks efficiently, but you only get one per tree.
    Whereas you can get, like what, 1-4 logs and pinecones from one tree if you just chop them down conventionally.
    It definitely takes less time to burn down a forest than chop it down though.

The one new multiplayer feature is the Ewecus, which you can only really fight if you have two people ganging up on it.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    So I've been getting back into this, I don't have reign of giants or don't starve together. I've built both of the recipe maker science things, working on the magic thing, and trying to find some damn beefalo for manure and meat. I'm on day 16 with my current character and I sort of don't know what to do. I need silk and besides burning down a forest I don't see a good way of getting it, I haven't been down a wormhole yet. Mostly I'm worried about winter, I assume I need to find the stuff to make a winter coat so I don't die when it's cold and I don't really know where to get the ingredients. I haven't been traveling so far I couldn't get back to my base camp which is probably a mistake, I should probably start ranging farther afield.

edit: I assume you still need to get Reign of Giants separately to have its stuff available in Don't Starve together.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    So I've been getting back into this, I don't have reign of giants or don't starve together. I've built both of the recipe maker science things, working on the magic thing, and trying to find some damn beefalo for manure and meat. I'm on day 16 with my current character and I sort of don't know what to do. I need silk and besides burning down a forest I don't see a good way of getting it, I haven't been down a wormhole yet. Mostly I'm worried about winter, I assume I need to find the stuff to make a winter coat so I don't die when it's cold and I don't really know where to get the ingredients. I haven't been traveling so far I couldn't get back to my base camp which is probably a mistake, I should probably start ranging farther afield.

Silk is pretty simple. You need to find a couple of nests and drop 3 or 4 traps at the edge of it. You don't need to bait them, just walk on the creep and the spiders will come out to chase you. Run them under your traps and reset them. Keep doing this until the nest is empty and you should have gotten a couple of silk. If the nest is tier 3, meaning it has 2 humps on it, you can destroy it for a ton more silk and take the eggs and replant the nest. It's a chore and it can take up most of a day doing this, but it's the best way to get silk.

As for winter, here's what I do. Early in the game, I gather twigs and grass like mad. Like, way more than you'd think you'd need early. Then I burn down a small forest for some charcoal. I put up 8 drying racks. I do 8 because the next step in my plan is to hunt any koalaphants that leave tracks near me. Woe be unto any koalaphants that wander near my den. He'll drop 8 meat, which I can dry in 1 go. Large jerky lasts forever. I don't usually eat it, I just keep stacking it up during the summer while I feed myself on berries and stuff I can make out of all the dead spiders in the crock pot. Once winter finally hits, I usually have a stack of 24+ large jerky and a handful of small jerky. I coast through the winter just trying to stay warm until the thaw.

The winter coat is no big deal. You can make rabbit earmuffs and a breezy vest out of all the koalaphant trunks. If you're playing Wilson with his magnificent beard, that and a heat stone will be enough to take care of you during the freeze. If you can find a winter koalaphant, you can upgrade the breezy vest to the winter coat and he'll give you 8 more meat.

Anyways, that's how I do it because I find the goals concrete and achievable during the summer. But there really is no right way to do it. Sometimes I manage to get silk fast and early and I have a huge apiary. Honey is another foodstuff that will not go bad on you. Sometimes I find a swamp early and I use the reeds to put up a birdcage. I don't really understand beefalo and poop. Farming seems like a real pain in the ass for very little return and the food spoils fast. But it works for some people, so who knows?

• Options
    I think there are some great new mechanics in RoG though and despite my better judgement, I find myself using the custom world generation options quite a fair bit. It does make the game a bit easier when I'm not really in the mood for getting ground into paste.

I do however love full moons and the constant light for shaving beefalo as well as turning all flowers into evil flowers, that's some good shit right there.

I usually have a few different saved games going, at any given time: one RoG save, one regular save where I found Maxwell's Door and created an encampment near it so that I can keep trying at that, and then one save I like to refer to as Can't Starve, Won't Starve where I set all the food items to "lots" and hounds to "less" so I can explore and mess around with the crockpot and learn new stuff with each of the characters without being too stressed out about animal attacks. I definitely prefer to learn stuff by doing rather than relying on the wiki, though sometimes it is hard not to. The giants are not as much of a problem as they seem initially, imo. I tend to try to lead them off into other areas or pit other mobs against them - - treeguards, beefalo, and pengulls all work well for that.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Ah man I forgot the traps. And I'll be honest, I've never survived long enough to find a koalaphant. I've only seen Beefalo like once.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    I have a save in front of maxwell's door with the seras mod and can never seem to get past the archipelago. Between purging the spiders on the first island and attacking bees on the second.....I should just burn down that bee island, fire solves everything.

• Options
    The Archipelago is reasonably simple if you are diligent with the divining rod...but there are definitely islands in the archipelago that are better off left to burn, haha.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Farming + Birdcage is great if you can get some dragonfruit seeds if I remember correctly. You can also use the good farms for veggies to use in the crock pot to help stretch your food supplies out some. But really, you just want them for dragonfruit production.