As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Canadian Politics: The North shall rise again?

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I saw a quote where Harper said that we will not be intimidated, and that we'll be tightening security restrictions.

That's sounds like we're pretty intimidated if we're going to be restricting all Canadians because of this.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    In a news conference yesterday, RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson noted the police currently cannot charge anyone who has yet to commit a crime, and suggested there needs to be a change.

Pretty sure that the RCMP not being able to charge anyone who hasn't committed a crime is the system working as intended, Bob.

FFFFFFFffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

EDIT: Actually, I should correct myself earlier, because this isn't going to be a problem for me & I shouldn't pretend that it is.

I'm White Guy living in Small Town with No Religious Affiliation. Cops here ain't going to give me any trouble. Expanding police powers like this is going to make life Hell for First Nations people, especially those living in cities, and it's going to make life Hell for Muslims.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I suspect it will also make life hell for voters in non-Conservative-stronghold ridings next year. By pure coincidence, of course.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Richy wrote: »

I can't overstate how much I appreciate someone like Peter Mansbridge being sort of the de-facto face of Canadian news. The man is a national treasure.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    So there's all this stuff about MPs giving Vickers a standing ovation and I just want to make an observation about it.

This guy has been doing his job there for years, and I wouldn't doubt it if someone told me that nobody'd ever so much as said hi to him. But there's an incident, and he shoots and kills someone, which is something that any decent cop/person would try to avoid as best they can, and he's being celebrated for it. All the other security personnel who also did their jobs but weren't so "lucky" as to have to shoot and kill a person, they get nothing but to go back to being ignored.

It's a small thing, but maybe also a sign of our twisted priorities.

hippofant on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    My view is that they're applauding Kevin Vickers for almost definitely saving quite a few lives rather than for taking one.

I do agree that, in addition to Kevin Vickers, other first responders and security personnel should also be talked about.

Edit: I think Geth's comment is saying that, for instance, I should mention the member of parliamentary security that, unarmed, attempted to grab the perpetrator's gun with their bare hands, probably buying crucial time. Or the multiple citizens who attempted to save Cpl. Nathan Cirillo's life, and stayed with him in his final moments.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    Every news report I heard mentions that Vickers gives credit to his theam, and the extract I heard of Trudeau's speech in the Commons thanked him and his theme.

sig.gif
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Every news report I heard mentions that Vickers gives credit to his theam, and the extract I heard of Trudeau's speech in the Commons thanked him and his theme.

Are you drinking right now too Rich?

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I personally have heard stories of other first responders (such as that parliamentary security person who attempted to grab the perp's gun) and the civilians on hand at the war memorial.
    Very much part of why I'm so proud to be Canadian right now.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular

Goddamn, and I tought CNN was going too far already!

I spent the evening in Otawa. I'm glad to report, the atmosphere was.. exactly the same as usual :)

Just good ol' Ottawa. The only change is than you can't go on parliament's lawn for now. Even there, the guards looked more bored than menacing.

A single police officer was patrolling the monument were the shooting occured. Frankly I feel than even that was not neccesary. Anyone trying anything funny would had got his/her ass kicked by the crowd for sure!

They're is so many flowers than they're is barely any space left for more.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I hope that in addition to the calm and measured reporting Canadian media did on the shooting, Canadian politicians can take a calm and measured approach to any potential changes to parliamentary security and national security that they decide to implement in response to this and the other incident.

If we're going to set a good example for the Americans and others it needs to be in substantive actions that don't fall too far into the ever present slippery slope that such acts of terror present us security versus rights and freedoms wise. I for one would be heartbroken to see Parliament Hill in the long term become a fortress rather then the open seat of our democracy that I fondly remember visiting a few years ago.

488W936.png
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    So, this is why I loathe the word terrorism.

In Ottawa, a man took a gun, killed another man, injured several others before ultimately being taken down.

Near Seattle, a teenager took a gun, killed another student, injured several other before ultimately taking himself down.

In California, a man took a gun, killed two police officers, injured several others before ultimately being arrested.

These three events are essentially similar in the amount of fear and terror they distributed, yet only one of these events is labelled as terrorist?? The students in the cafeteria were just as terrorized as the MP's hiding in their offices. But we label them differently.

Despite being essentially the exact same attack, only one of them will be used as justification to amend laws while the other two will be hand waved away as the work of "mentally ill" individuals. Two of these attacks will be placed out of sight and out of mind, while the third will be constantly bombarded at as in an attempt to guilt us into accepting the slow removal of our rights and freedoms.

Despite having a very high profile mass shooting in Canada, we still aren't the country with the most amounts of mass shootings this week!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5mLjKI968g

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Couldn't agree more with @Corehealer and @quovadis13.

Quite frankly, I'm more worried about what Harper will do than I am about another shooting occuring.

Edit : Sweet! I just saw on the news than parliament's lawn has been re-opened to the public.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

So Jian Ghomeshi got canned from the CBC and now he's suing them for 50m and has hired some kind of PR firm. Sounds like he was playing 50 shades of grey with a young woman and she cried foul in some way. Not the first time he's been accused of being a creeper. CBC can't catch a break, I don't care for his droning on for 5 minutes to ask a question style, but he was one of if not the most popular show on radio for them.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    I'm not going to judge firmly, one way or another, but it kind of looks like a CBC executive got their knickers in a twist over consensual bdsm/some other freaky but otherwise fine sexual business.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/10/26/jian_ghomeshi_no_longer_with_cbc.html

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I remember reading a few stories of him allegedly sexually assaulting women a year or so ago.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Wow, that's pretty crazy.

Hard to say what's going on with exactly 0 details

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    I haven't read it yet but here's a post by jian on facebook

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I remember reading a few stories of him allegedly sexually assaulting women a year or so ago.

And that's bad. But it's not necessarily the thing that happened here.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Somehow I doubt the guy's story.

Whenever topics like that come up, and the guy insists that it may have been unconventional sex but it was totes consensual omg, 90% of the time it later turns out he was abusing his SO.

Maybe this will prove the exception to the rule, but probably not.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Like I said, not judging one way or another, but it looks a little off from both sides.

Like, if the allegations of abuse from a year ago weren't enough to fire him then, why fire him now with no stated reason? also the thing ender said.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Like I said, not judging one way or another, but it looks a little off from both sides.

Like, if the allegations of abuse from a year ago weren't enough to fire him then, why fire him now with no stated reason? also the thing ender said.

I can't find any links to anything about sexual assault in the past - though admittedly, I didn't look that hard, and Google's currently flooded with the new story.

But at the same time... if he committed a crime, then..., and otherwise, then....

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    I think there is not enough info out there to say one way or another. I personally like him and hope this comes out being true. Consensual BDSM is a lot more common then most people think.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    on his Facebook post, he mentioned giving proof of consensual happenings. My first thought was the MRA type of consent contract, but then I realised it's far more likely he meant sex tapes that show the before and after (discussion of what's to happen and agreement of safe words, to the use of safe words and the ramping down from there).

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Ech, that's some pretty nasty stuff.

Interesting to note, the star claims they have been speaking to some of these women since last summer, while Jian claims that this only started earlier this year.

Sooo... yeah, that doesn't look good at all.

Edit: Here's the XOJane story

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    now that there's more information, namely the allegations of not one but three women, I'm leaning more against the guy.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Isn't today the Toronto metro mayoral election? If so, good luck!

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »

It's municipal Election Day in a lot of places today

GO VOTE!!!

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Are there any local Canadian rules or restrictions on what can be discussed?

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options

They don't need luck, they need a miracle. Last I heard, the only good candidate was in third place, after the far-right crazy guy and the guy who's entire political strategy was erasing his organized-crime-linked drug-using abusive brother's first name from the electoral signs. WTF, Toronto?

sig.gif
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »

Interesting to note, the star claims they have been speaking to some of these women since last summer, while Jian claims that this only started earlier this year.

"
    I don't know. That has a totally "jilted girlfiend " vibe IMO but that might just be me. I don't get the "ugh, he's absolutely terrible in every conceivable way but I will continue to not directly say no and keep attending things with him."

As pointed out in the article, having "no game" as she put's it is not a crime.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Voted last week, we got a new mayor and stuff in Winnipeg.

Was going to make a post about some of our municipal shit but the shooting turned me off discussing dumb shit. ;)

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    tylerinthetubtylerinthetub Registered User new member
    Of all the stuff flooding the news about Gomeshi, the thing that is going to stick with me is that I found out he was in Moxy Fruvous. And now I will be humming "king of Spain" for the rest of the day.

Also I can't imagine CBC didn't have their lawyers take a good hard look at his contract before the firing, I haven't seen it substantiated anywhere but apparently it's common practice to have on air personalities sign some kind of "morality" contract enabling their employers to fire them if they make the employer look bad. I don't work in this industry though so I'm just repeating hearsay.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular

They don't need luck, they need a miracle. Last I heard, the only good candidate was in third place, after the far-right crazy guy and the guy who's entire political strategy was erasing his organized-crime-linked drug-using abusive brother's first name from the electoral signs. WTF, Toronto?

Yeah, if you'd told me back in March that the polls would look like this I'd have laughed my ass off. I'm just baffled at this point.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Disco11 wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »

"
    I don't know. That has a totally "jilted girlfiend " vibe IMO but that might just be me. I don't get the "ugh, he's absolutely terrible in every conceivable way but I will continue to not directly say no and keep attending things with him."

As pointed out in the article, having "no game" as she put's it is not a crime.

That article was a year and 4 months ago, it wasn't what got him fired.
    We don't know exactly what allegation did get him fired, and those will probably come out during his lawsuit.
    After reading his 'explanation' for his firing, there was nothing in there which was convincing me.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Gomeshi is a fairly well-known creep and sleazeball, at a minimum. There's no shortage of tales about him, with folks I personally know being warned about him when he's attending events. You know, the whole "don't get yourself alone with him, don't turn your back on him, etc."

There are likely sufficient allegations of sufficiently horrifying nature that it would be suicide for the CBC to be on this guy's side once they all break. I'll bet that we'll shortly be wondering why they were supporting him for so long when we find out how far back these allegations stretch.

I mean, sure, we may find out that this is all untrue and a very co-ordinated smear campaign launched by spiteful exes. But keep in mind:

kebcep8um33h.jpg

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Shouldn't Falsely Accused be part of the Reported bucket?

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Infidel wrote: »
    Shouldn't Falsely Accused be part of the Reported bucket?

I have personally had two people close to me accused of rape. One was by his ex wife and I had to speak to police as he was with me on a road trip on the date he was accused. The other was by an ex lover that absolutely ruined his life on a complete lack of evidence. Both had severe repercussions on them even after they were proven false.

Because of that, I take any sort of accusations with very large grains of salt until I have more to go on.

That being said, I was not aware he had a reputation of being a creep. Rough sex and BDSM are one thing. Sexual assault is a totally different... I just hope he get's judged on what he did wrong and not his choice of Kink.