As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sam will kill him if he tries anything [Consenting Hobbits Again]

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    It really annoys me that they don't announce when the midnight screening tickets go on sale.

Also the movie premieres the day before I fly off to england.
    I'm going to be tired on that flight.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Bought my ticket for wednesday.

Still really pissing me off that they don't have midnight screenings for this one.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I have a pact to see all of these movies with my best friend so I'll have to wait a few days past the release date for her to fly home for Christmas

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »

Still really pissing me off that they don't have midnight screenings for this one.

Got my tickets for Monday, they're showing all three movies back to back.
    Should be a good time. If not, it'll still beat being at work.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    This was probably the most videogamey and one of the most excessive movies ever made

To describe some of the action scenes in words would make one sound like a madman

• Options
    If you think Legolas sliding down the stairs on a shield was silly, hoo boy, I have bad news for you

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Was it at least entertaining?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Yes, yes, it was

The action is always visually clear and you can follow it very well, there's also no droning loud noises

It's only superficially related to the book at this point, though, a lot of the stuff I expected to see was missing

• Options
    I do think though that some of the ideas from Tolkien's work are actually well represented in the first half

The second part is one giant action setpiece but I didn't get tired of it because it is so well executed compared to other movies

It has this very heavy videogame vibe though

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I think I will probably be grumpy about it but will still like it enough to get the extended edition when it comes out in the hopes it has more of the real shit.

I really hated snowboard Legolas, but I thought mumakil Legolas was okay, so I'm shooting for not throwing anything at the screen.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Psykoma wrote: »

Got my tickets for Monday, they're showing all three movies back to back.
    Should be a good time. If not, it'll still beat being at work.

I'm going on Monday too! 9 hours of Hobbit awesomeness in 3D! I don't even really care much about the 3D.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    surfing legolas is just a silly sidebar for me, but surfing legolas wasn't the action norm for LOTR

i'll probably go see this but i'm pretty down about how little excitement i have for it

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    surfing legolas is just a silly sidebar for me, but surfing legolas wasn't the action norm for LOTR

i'll probably go see this but i'm pretty down about how little excitement i have for it

I didn't even bother with the second one. Doubt I'll bother with this one.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

Desolation of Smaug was worth it for the barrel scene alone.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Why does everyone bring up the surfing of the shield and not the surfing of the giant elephant?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Why does everyone bring up the surfing of the shield and not the surfing of the giant elephant?

you can't surf on a shield!

It's completely unrealistic

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Something I liked about the movie:
    Thranduil as a character is much closer to the Elves of the Silmarillion than the other Elves we've seen in the films so far. He's barely morally superior to Thorin. Kinda puts Galadriel refusing the ring into a new perspective in the context of the movies.

Platy on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I thought the barrel scene was one of the worst in the film

• Options
    While we're at:
    Everything involving Dain and his war company was excellent. My two favorite moments in the film were the Dwarven army approaching over the mountain and the Dwarves using formation tactics during the battle.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    I thought the barrel scene was one of the worst in the film

I don't understand this. It was great cinematography, great characterization, an interesting take on an otherwise boring part of the original narrative, and was downright fun.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Well aside from the unedited pixelated GoPro footage in the middle of it

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

Desolation of Smaug was worth it for the barrel scene alone.

i actually liked the barrel scene, though i don't think i'd have patience for it were i to ever re-watch

but i found desolation to be infinitely more tiresome than the first hobbit overall. the rest of the movie specifically made the barrel scene no longer a notable setpiece of any interest and instead recast it as the first salvo in the movie's war on my patience

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    the Hobbit movies feel like they are taking action queues from Sucker Punch

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    What I really liked in the Hobbit films is how they took the world Tolkien had written and really made it seem bigger and more complicated than the original narrative. That the elves, lake town, the orcs and goblins, and pretty much every other one dimensional force in the original books were given actual motivations and depth made me pretty happy.

I did not like what they did to Radagast, in my mind he was always a burly lumberjack wizard, but I can see why they wouldn't want to confuse the audience due to similarities between him and Beorn. The dragon fight scene was kinda wonky a bit in that Smaug is clearly useless. I enjoyed the roller coaster ride through the Lonely Mountain but it all seemed rather unneeded for the plot.

Aside from those two things I've enjoyed the films. I grew up with the Hobbit, it was something my grandmother read to me as a kid and that I read and re-read as a young adult. They are more lighthearted and silly than LotR but they should be. The Hobbit was a kids book, Lord of the Rings wasn't.

Enc on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    While we're at:
    Everything involving Dain and his war company was excellent. My two favorite moments in the film were the Dwarven army approaching over the mountain and the Dwarves using formation tactics during the battle.

I didn't like the movie as a whole that much, but there were a lot of good individual moments and scenes, and that was absolutely one of them. Especially
    dwarves in formation.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    EDIT: Double post. Have a LotR themed joke:

What did the drunk hobbit say when he walked into the wizard?

Saruman, I didn’t see you there!

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Nothing about the hobbit movies bothers me as much as the second one not having an ending

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I am less unequivocally enthusiastic about the Hobbit films than I am about the LOTR films, but a lot of the complaints people make about stuff in Journey and Desolation really confuse the hell out of me.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    hey check this out

you can get Fellowship of the Ring for free today on Google Play

https://play.google.com/store/movies/details/Lord_of_the_Rings_The_Fellowship_of_the_Ring?id=rAUJN48IHXw&hl=en

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Sweet! All my DVD editions of the trilogy are back at my parents' place (also may not actually be mine per se, I forget)

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I saw this. I hate 3d. Creature design Hells of cool. I liked it better when the orcs spoke English.

This movie felt very disjointed. People, armies, everything just shows up, often in the nick of time.

Best bit: Christopher Lee said Sauron in a totally dramatic way.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I posted a bunch of stuff to Facebook that I'll just copy and paste here:
    - So when is the fan edit if these movies going to come out? I think there's two pretty coherent two hour movies in here.
    - Between this and Sherlock, I've decided that if you need someone to scrunch his face a lot and look exasperated, Martin Freeman is definitely your guy
    - These movies are a pretty good counterexample if you know anyone who complains about the stuff they left out of LOTR (well, sorta)
    - the title is pretty descriptive, because it pretty is just the Battle of the Five Armies
    - one thing about these movies being so drawn out is that you lose some of the emotional punch (like I still tear up at the end of FOTR, and I've seen that move close to 2 dozen times, and it didn't happen even once in this movie).

• Options
    Maybe you should have left that on Facebook.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Uh, okay?

I don't think that "there's not enough plot here to support the run time" is exactly a controversial statement about these movies.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    It makes me sad but I left the theatre feeling like I just watched a genuinely bad movie, and I went in quite excited for it, because I love the lord of the rings world.

Like, just poorly shot, edited, written... just bad. Getting ready for work so holefully I can get into more detail later but man this movie just bummed me the heck out.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    After seeing the 3rd movie I'm still wondering what the point of Tauriel was. I guess the series would have been a bit of a sausage fest without her but they didn't need to add in all the elf/dwarf romance guff.

• Options
    Enc wrote: »
    Maybe you should have left that on Facebook.

no it's a pretty good post

• Options
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    After seeing the 3rd movie I'm still wondering what the point of Tauriel was. I guess the series would have been a bit of a sausage fest without her but they didn't need to add in all the elf/dwarf romance guff.

to be really boring and a bad character, i guess.

• Options
    hey guys, i'm here now, here to glow. hi.