Options

[Ni No Kuni] Ghibli + Pokemon = awesome?

Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
edited January 2013 in Games and Technology
ninokuni_logo.jpg

Official Site: http://ninokunigame.com/

Platform: PS3
Release Date: Jan 22, 2013
MSRP: $59.99 (or $99.99 for the largely unavailable special edition)
Exclusive DLC:

Griffy (Amazon):
Griffy02._V391263153_.jpg&token=FCD8805A539778594DC85A036A0DFB67878F3F24&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=hero-quick-promo&pf_rd_r=0TVB0CAJARM34YKWR1R0&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=1390355862&pf_rd_i=B007A7UJ4S

Gold Hurley (Prima Guide): http://www.amazon.com/Ni-No-Kuni-Wrath-Official/dp/030789598X/ref=bxgy_cc_vg_text_a

Gamestop/Best Buy: ? I'm fairly sure these two also come with exclusive familiar DLC, but can't find anything on their sites.

The story of Ni no Kuni revolves around thirteen-year-old Oliver, a resident of Motorville, whose mother, Allie, suddenly dies after rescuing him from drowning. A doll, given to Oliver by his mother, is brought to life from his tears and reveals itself to be a male fairy named Drippy, who gives Oliver a book that allows him to use the power of magic and enter the world of "Ni no Kuni," a reality parallel to his own. In Ni no Kuni, Drippy says Oliver may be able to find his mother, Allie. Using the newfound power of magic, Oliver and Drippy venture into Ni no Kuni. There, he befriends Esther, Swaine, and other alternative versions of people (and animals) he knows.

We've waited a long time for this, and sadly the DS version is unlikely to ever make its way here.

Reviews:

GamesMaster: 95
IGN: 9.4
Mutliplayer.it: 9.3
GamePro.de: 93
Eurogamer: 9
VideoGamer: 9
Strategy Informer: 9
OPM UK: 9
OPM Benelux: 87
Edge: 8
Metro: 8
games(tm): 8
Game Informer: 7

Video Reviews:
IGN

Important early game bug info! (spoilered just in case, no story spoilers present though)
When you get a quest early on for the wand, don't save immediately! Or at least use a back-up save. Apparently, many people have saved at this point and the save gets corrupted.

Vincent Grayson on

• Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    I almost bought a PS3 just for this game...but alas I couldn't justify it. I think I'll have to buy and borrow my friend's though. I am obsessed with all things Studio Ghibli. I thought there was a thread for this awhile back though...

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Played the demo, preordered right after. Can't wait for this game.

edit: it is unbearably beautiful. When I walked out onto the world map in the demo I said "wow"

Literally said it.

Out loud.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    I saw a poster in gamestop for this. I was going to look it up later but forgot, what is the deal with this game? The poster looked neat but I figured it would probably just be some bland game I had never heard of.

Is there substance there?

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    10 minutes ago they just released some remaining collector's editions on the namcobandai online store.

http://store.namcobandaigames.com/store/namcous/en_US/pd/ThemeID.24355600/productID.253168700/Ni-no-Kuni-Wrath-of-the-White-Witch-–-Wizards-Edition-Club-Namco-Exclusive.html

I nabbed one. 100$ gets you a hardcover copy of the spellbook, a drippy plush, the soundtrack, art cards, collectible coin, and two special DLC critters.

These will probably go very fast.

Edit: If you don't see a "Pre-Order" button on the right side of the screen, then they're likely out of stock.

Entriech on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Not sure if I'm going to like the combat based on the demo (it's sort of an ATB menu-based system where you can run around the map but can only control one character at a time) but it has gorgeous graphics & music and hundreds of monsters to collect & add to your team. Will definitely be picking it up since we rarely get AAA JRPGs these days.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    The combat seems pretty Tales-y to me, really. Not quite the same, since you're not stuck on a line until you free run, but similar.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I saw a poster in gamestop for this. I was going to look it up later but forgot, what is the deal with this game? The poster looked neat but I figured it would probably just be some bland game I had never heard of.

It's Factor 5 + Studio Ghibli. Which if those two names mean anything to you means this game looks flippin' fantastic.

I have heard that the actual gamey bits are rather... blah. And this kinda was my feeling on the demo as well. Not bad, but nothing really jumped out at me. The demo also had the problem of not explaining anything. I died on the boss because I didn't know I could actually move my character, I thought it was just a real-time version of Pokemon at first.

That said, I had the exact same experience as Blackjack, only I'm pretty sure I needed to change my pants upon seeing the overworld. This thing visually looks like a high-res version of Dragon Quest VIII, which was also made by Factor 5, and I loved how that game looked as well.

I feel kinda dirty for admitting this, but I'm totally playing the graphic whore card here and buying it almost purely on that. So long as the actual game doesn't completely shit the bed, I will be 100% content.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I really don't like Ghibli's art style at all; truth be told I think it's some of the worst out there.

Still getting the game tho. It looks mighty fun.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Ni_No_Kuni_01-610x343.jpg

That's an actual screenshot (lower resolution than in the game). Not promo art.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options

It's Factor 5 + Studio Ghibli. Which if those two names mean anything to you means this game looks flippin' fantastic.

I have heard that the actual gamey bits are rather... blah. And this kinda was my feeling on the demo as well. Not bad, but nothing really jumped out at me. The demo also had the problem of not explaining anything. I died on the boss because I didn't know I could actually move my character, I thought it was just a real-time version of Pokemon at first.

That said, I had the exact same experience as Blackjack, only I'm pretty sure I needed to change my pants upon seeing the overworld. This thing visually looks like a high-res version of Dragon Quest VIII, which was also made by Factor 5, and I loved how that game looked as well.

I feel kinda dirty for admitting this, but I'm totally playing the graphic whore card here and buying it almost purely on that. So long as the actual game doesn't completely shit the bed, I will be 100% content.

Oh, I thought it was just Ghibli-esque. I didn't realize it was ACTUALLY Ghibli.

That's pretty neat, I'll have to check it out. I don't mind whoring out for graphics on a game if they are truly stunning. Obviously having superb gameplay married with stellar graphics is ideal, but as you said so long as the gameplay isn't bad or just meh I would be interested.

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I really don't like Ghibli's art style at all; truth be told I think it's some of the worst out there.

Why are you always so wrong about everything. :(

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    @Vincent Grayson you have maybe 10 minutes to make an ACTUAL OP before I lock this thread. You can't even write a paragraph describing the game? Come on.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options

Why do you keep calling my opinion wrong? It's MY OPINION ABOUT ART for crap's sake; the single most open ended subject for opinions on the planet. I'm not saying you can't like it; I'm just saying I don't.

• Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    I am probably buying this. I am so behind on my jrpgs backlog but goddamn this looks so great.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    @Vincent Grayson you have maybe 10 minutes to make an ACTUAL OP before I lock this thread. You can't even write a paragraph describing the game? Come on.

Sorry, I'm at work and figured I could just put it together when I got home.

• Options

Why do you keep calling my opinion wrong? It's MY OPINION ABOUT ART for crap's sake; the single most open ended subject for opinions on the planet. I'm not saying you can't like it; I'm just saying I don't.

If you had just said "Eh, I don't care for Studio Ghibli's style" that would have been the end of things.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    This looks like a pastoral, good natured, lovely game in the mold of Chrono Trigger. I am sorely tempted to get a PS3.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    Wow, I'll really need to look into this if people are actually contemplating buying an entire game system for it.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular

If you had just said "Eh, I don't care for Studio Ghibli's style" that would have been the end of things.

I have never agreed with Magic Pink and he's still right about this one. It's just art. You can hate it for free.

I love ghibli btw.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options

I have never agreed with Magic Pink and he's still right about this one. It's just art. You can hate it for free.

I love ghibli btw.

To be fair one phrasing implies that others who do not agree are somehow inferior ("Truth be told I think it's some of the worst out there" likens people who like the art with "the worst out there"), while the other phrasing allows for both sides to hold their opinion equally ("Eh, I don't care for Studio Ghibli's style" stands as a statement entirely based on personal opinion).

You are absolutely right in that art is entirely subjective though.

(Yes I find phrasing in the english language and implied meanings to be fascinating :P)

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular

You're right about the opinion issue, Magic, but Chocobo is unfortunately right too. :P

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Wow, I'll really need to look into this if people are actually contemplating buying an entire game system for it.

Well, to be fair, there are other PS3 exclusives and console-only games I'm interested in, this is just helping tip the balance. I've been a happy PC man this gen, and I haven't missed out on much, but what I have missed has mostly been on PS3. 360 has Halo and Gears, and I'm not sure what else.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

I love ghibli btw.

To be fair one phrasing implies that others who do not agree are somehow inferior ("Truth be told I think it's some of the worst out there" likens people who like the art with "the worst out there"), while the other phrasing allows for both sides to hold their opinion equally ("Eh, I don't care for Studio Ghibli's style" stands as a statement entirely based on personal opinion).

You are absolutely right in that art is entirely subjective though.

(Yes I find phrasing in the english language and implied meanings to be fascinating :P)

Right but he fixed that. Also its Magic Pink. We should know him by now. He doesn't mean the full implications of what he says. It gets tiring when people can't adapt to others quirks.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Planning on getting the PSN release of this, although the file size has me doubting that decision (19GBs).

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Nobody planning on getting the awesome book who hasn't already ordered? Good because you wont get it anymore. We had to preorder from amazon germany at the start of december, one of the only places with any left to order anywhere. Fortunately the book is only available in english.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Planning on getting the PSN release of this, although the file size has me doubting that decision (19GBs).

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Server Error

Error:
    We are unable to perform the selected action. We apologize for the inconvenience.
    Error Number: SIT_000002

Guess I'm not getting that awesome edition.

Ed; ah they don't ship to UK anyway.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Dang, why can't this stuff come out for PC. Studio Ghibli is the best at making things.

Also: I do genuinely think Ghibli's human character designs are extremely stale/reused in all of their films. That said, everything else they do, from fluidity in animation to breathtaking environments, more than makes up for simplistic human character designs.

• Options
    WydrionWydrion Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I don't think that their designs are reused, they're just often very plain. You could say that Akira Toriyama's art is stale/reused, but he's basically crafted the entire atmosphere of Dragon Quest, and most of the characters (besides a great chunk looking like Goku/Gohan in different outfits) are differentiated in more ways than the way they're drawn.

Their choice here to make Oliver plain is an aesthetic choice, and also, the framerate and cel shading in this game are phenomenal, so I support whatever decisions they make art-wise to make the game run smooth like butta.

(edit: afterthought:
    If you want to get into 'reuse' of animation/art assets, look no further than Disney, I'm sure you've seen the youtube videos where they copy entire scenes and paste them into other films. I don't think Ghibli has ever done this, and they're considered to be the Disney of Japan.)

Wydrion on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Enc wrote: »
    Dang, why can't this stuff come out for PC. Studio Ghibli is the best at making things.

Also: I do genuinely think Ghibli's human character designs are extremely stale/reused in all of their films. That said, everything else they do, from fluidity in animation to breathtaking environments, more than makes up for simplistic human character designs.

Yeah, that's exactly what I think too but I have to say I've never seen one of their movies so I haven't been able to see the animation in action. The environments I think are just on par with other really good things I've seen but they don't stand out head and shoulders above or anything. The only thing I've been exposed to of them is their human character designs (although I literally see them everywhere) and they're just really dull.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    It's their attention to detail with regards to motion/animation that made them famous MP. You should have a look at a few in motion and you'll understand more. Their movies flow.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I'm going to, now. This is literally the first I've heard of it; I thought it was always the art style that people were praising and was pretty much left "huh buh whu?" at it.

Is there anywhere you can get them subtitled rather then dubbed tho?

edit: Whoops, hold up, I did see Mononoke. It was ok, I guess. It was many years ago.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

Yeah, that's exactly what I think too but I have to say I've never seen one of their movies so I haven't been able to see the animation in action. The environments I think are just on par with other really good things I've seen but they don't stand out head and shoulders above or anything. The only thing I've been exposed to of them is their human character designs (although I literally see them everywhere) and they're just really dull.

Having seen a lot of animation in my time, I can say you are missing out on some of the most elaborate and extremely well done animated features in existence. I'm not talking about plot, here. But just the animation mechanics and quality. Some of their plots are a bit nonsensical or even absent, but all are beautiful. I have no doubt this game will be also.

Go watch Spirited Away or Howl's Moving Castle, both are some of the most detailed, highest quality animation you will find anywhere.

• Options
    The australian publisher for ghibli (and most anime) is good about always including subs. I don't know anything about other countries.

• Options
    The australian publisher for ghibli (and most anime) is good about always including subs. I don't know anything about other countries.

America kind of hates subtitling but I'll dig around.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    OK so this is the first I've heard about it but a ten second googling reveals nothing but good things and that CE is amazing but I am poor and also inundated with important IRL work and the thing is rare as all fuck anyway so here's the deal...

If it's still available at this store I'm looking at this time tomorrow, I will preorder it. If not I'll wait a while and get the regular edition.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Spirited Away is a pretty good showcase I think. For a more homely sort of animation, there's a kitchen scene in their latest one that gobsmacked me with the smoothness of the motions and the elaborate detail in them. Just some girl preparing food in a kitchen and I'm amazed at it because it displays such a high level of skill and professional flair.
    I love good animation.
    I think the earlier ones are still good even though they are more static when you realise what they achieved with the technology available at the time. Most of the high detail in the older ones were all hand drawn rather than the correction/extra detail they use hand drawing for nowadays.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I'm going to, now. This is literally the first I've heard of it; I thought it was always the art style that people were praising and was pretty much left "huh buh whu?" at it.

Is there anywhere you can get them subtitled rather then dubbed tho?

edit: Whoops, hold up, I did see Mononoke. It was ok, I guess. It was many years ago.

It's the art style overall I think. The character designs, on top of the animation and the backgrounds.

One of the reasons I think they go for more plain main characters is because of how fanciful they get with the other stuff in most of the movies. (Spirited Away is a great example of this) It's a beautiful contrast between worlds.

Also despite the plain designs they are very expressive with the characters faces and gestures. As for subtitles I am pretty sure most of the DVD releases in the US have Subtitles as an option on them. At least I'm pretty sure 90% of my collection is that way. That being said most of the dubbing work is actually done by Disney and is quite well done.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Eurogamer gave this a 9/10

I consider that a hearty endorsement

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Yeah the attention to detail in their animation is expressed in their characters movement as well, which translates into extremely visceral displays of emotion, especially when creatures or people get mad or upset.

Morninglord on