Options

[Ni No Kuni] Ghibli + Pokemon = awesome?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    My Tales of Symphonia just didn't come, ever.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Wait, what? Pokemon? This flew under the radar for me: it's a monster catching RPG?

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    Wait, what? Pokemon? This flew under the radar for me: it's a monster catching RPG?

It's a traditional JRPG, but combat involves a system akin to FFXII's (with movement and semi turn-based action), wherein you summon monsters to fight. The characters can fight themselves and cast spells, but the monster catching comes into play wherein you have up to three monsters per character that can be swapped in, with different affinities, abilities, etc.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I have a feeling that you don't capture them but instead make some sort of story based contract with them. But I'm only basing this on gut intuition from a few screenshots here and there.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I have a feeling that you don't capture them but instead make some sort of story based contract with them. But I'm only basing this on gut intuition from a few screenshots here and there.
    Nope.
    After Esther officially joins your party, you gain the ability to recruit familiars by defeating creatures, impressing them with your prowess, and then having Esther play her Serenade song to lure them over to your team. Note that you don’t get to choose which creatures you want to turn into familiars—they’re the ones that choose you. The odds that a heart will appear over the head of a defeated creature vary by their type, landing at around 25 percent for the most docile creatures and going down to 4 percent for rarer and more powerful creatures.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Neat. Not the first time my hunches have been off!

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Ah, that's also like Dragon Quest! Some monsters chatting you up after battle. Also like some Shin Megami Tensei.

Edit: Demo installed!

Edit: Oh, "ni no kuni". Otherworld. Duh.

Wait, Old Father Oak?
    1066335-prof_oak_thumb.jpg

Edit: Rune-magic?

lostmagic3.jpg

Edit: Book-version is so expensive.

Edit: Time-limits, boo.

Take Heart rune for loading-screens.

Brrrian's evasion is crazy.

Edit: I'll eat a piece of fudge, then I'll stop a volcano.
    Oliver is basically Isaac Lightbrad.

PLA on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know if the Namco store is timely? I've had it preordered since the Ninostarter happened.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Damnit, too little time. Snow Blower hits multiple enemies in a line. Neat! But if I use it against the boss, Brrrian just ends up pathfinding until he gets himself beaten up.
    Oliver could solo this with enough time.

Edit: Hmm, I need to figure out how long it takes before I can stop defending. Or just mash the button more. Sometimes I think I've stopped, but I haven't. Cutscenes are very disrupting, it seems. One of my Snow Blowers was ignored when the tutorial popped up. I do wish I could default to Defend/Evade instead of Attack, especially with Oliver's mostly useless Attack.
    Went much better after changing Esther's dumb no-attacking tactic, though.

Edit: I want to know what the rune-twig says. Bet it's a clue.
    Metamorphosis seems complicated. I wonder how difficult it will be to do the whole maximal stats-thing in this game.

PLA on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Renzo wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Beezel wrote: »
    Pre ordered this last night from amazon. They're not doing release day delivery with it I'm imagining

They were just not anymore. :(

I had to order from Newegg, which will delay the thing by 2 days extra at least. I REALLY hate Newegg but I did get it for 12$ off...

I did the same thing. I'm fine with getting it later since I'm getting it cheaper.

I'm getting it later because they screwed up my payment information and refuse to fix it so the order gets prepped, then cancelled, I have to WAIT for that to happen, they have to put it through again without the discount THEN I have to call them again and request the discount. It's a fucking joke. Their Customer Service is laughably bad.

Haha holy shit.

Reminds of of when they shipped out copies of Madden instead of Mass Effect 3. They made a lot of friends that day.

To be fair, Madden and Mass Effect 3 are fairly similar games.

Also, I can't wait for this to come out. Is it bad that I preordered the guide book solely because I want that exclusive gold familiar that comes with it?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    I've not pre-ordered the guide but am blowing a chunk of money and credit on the Wizards edition. Drippy having a banging welsh accent and mannerisms has only made me more excited for it.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    Maybe I should spend more money than I should. Maybe I should.

Argh.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    I love Studio Ghibli, never been this tempted to get a PS3.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    PLA wrote: »
    Maybe I should spend more money than I should. Maybe I should.

Argh.

You can't. Not unless you want to spend a stupid amount on Ebay or somesuch place to get the Wizard's Edition. It's sold out through Namco and that's the only official place you can get it.

Esh on
  • Options
    You mean now right? Cos it was available at stores of all kinds of wonderfully different hue and color and variation but not, alas, anymore.

• Options
    It's still offered in a few places. But I think I'll skip it.

• Options

Where?

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Esh wrote: »

Where?

I too would like to know this.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Damn street dates. I picked up a copy of this today at a local Target and practically skipped down the aisle with joy at my early find, only to have the cashier's computer tell her she couldn't sell a product they had in exchange for legal tender. They distributed this for the purpose of selling it, no?

Congrats, Target and Level 5. Now neither of you is getting my money.

• Options
    Yeah, how dare Target not breach their contract with Level 5. God, they're such bastards, expecting you to wait three whole days for a video game.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Exactly, this guy gets it.

• Options

Where?

Local places. Sorry.

• Options
    I'm here for you, Darlan.

camo_sig2.png

• Options

Where?

Local places. Sorry.

You can't see it, but my face shows a lot of disappointment right now :(

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I spent a bit of time on the demo (Father Oak) not because there was so much content, but because I kept getting my ass handed to me. The GT review pretty much confirms that this is indeed a Level-5 game (DQ8 was ridiculous in some fights - although I did enjoy exploiting the Bell enemy that continually summoned foes).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options

Where?

Local places. Sorry.

Are you in Europe or something? Are these small time mom and pop places that ordered them themselves to resell it? I thought Namco's site was the only place you could officially buy it.

• Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    Is anyone else's Wizard edition listed as shipping after release? I preordered in Aug, kind of wierd.

Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    Is anyone else's Wizard edition listed as shipping after release? I preordered in Aug, kind of wierd.

Mine is as well, but I ordered it on Thursday.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    You talking about that line of red text in the order summary? Mine says that too with a June preorder. I'm not worried about it at the moment.

• Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    I'm seeing some other forum posts that all WE's ship after ship, haven't found something from Namco themselves.

Also they're using Digital River, getting prepared for some dented boxes.

Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    Ton's of lets plays out here (gaming sites seem to limiting to first two hours), and I'm pretty sold now on playing this with the English dubbing. Japanese voice-acting and subtitles are good for some games, but seeing as this is a Ghibli project, the voice acting work for the English release is bound to be good all over.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    ED! wrote: »
    Ton's of lets plays out here (gaming sites seem to limiting to first two hours), and I'm pretty sold now on playing this with the English dubbing. Japanese voice-acting and subtitles are good for some games, but seeing as this is a Ghibli project, the voice acting work for the English release is bound to be good all over.

Depends on who does the dubbing. Typically for their theatrical releases Ghibli got Disney to do it, which is known for phenomenal voice acting for the most part. I'm curious if they got Disney on board for this as well or if it's some other company.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I've heard some of the english acting. Drippy is scottish.
    This is all I needed to hear. I will be replaying this game in english for that.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    I'm just glad for a game that will be "fun" to play both in the gameplay and content. Flipping through my game catalog - all my games are rated M. Shame. . .I'm sure I'll have as much fun with this game as I did with the last Level-5 RPG I played.

For what its worth this game is #1 on Amazon right now. I'm sure a bit of that has to do with late minute flurry, but still ranking is a ranking. Sadly, I'm unlikely to get the game until tomorrow evening. I'm tempted to run to Gamestop tomorrow afternoon and see if they have copies available and just refuse delivery on the Amazon order.

• Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    This is all I needed to hear. I will be replaying this game in english for that.

Drippy is Welsh.

Bang Tidy!

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Adda wrote: »

Drippy is Welsh.

Bang Tidy!

Look.

English. Amusing accent english.

Okay.

That's my two categories of english.

Wait I have a third.

French.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    This is out tomorrow? Damn. I can't buy it yet but it's on my shortlist, though perhaps that's a good thing. I'll be able to read some opinions first. The last Level-5 RPGs I've played (Rogue Galaxy, Dragon Quest, White Knight Chronicles) left me heavily disappointed by the end.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Critically it's been getting rave reviews. I've had anecdotal reports that it easily is one of the top jrpgs of this generation, up there with xenoblade, valkyria chronicles, and persona 4.

I've never actually played a level 5 game so I don't entirely know what to expect. Some people say it's pretty damn hard/complex at times, which seems at odds with the younger skewing cast and aesthetic.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    If it's Level 5 I expect a few things:

1. Gorgeous graphics (obviously, we get that)
    2. A somewhat cumbersome but appealingly drawn inventory system.
    3. Really fun gameplay
    4. Grindy as fuck

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    This game really snuck up on me. I had no idea It had a creature capturing mechanic, and the positive buzz has made me very interested.

Everyone always mentions Pokemon, but they forget about the other Ghibli supported creature capturing JRPG, Jade Cocoon.