As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Microsoft Targeting MGS4 and Final Fantasy?

• Options
    El VientoEl Viento Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    edit: Oh, and maybe another 150 million for the Star Ocean franchise. JUST IN CASE

I don't want to see another Star Ocean on any console ever again.

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    JJ wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »
    Einhander wrote: »
    wasn't Kojima the guy who said he hates ports?

Considering the many ports of Snatcher and Policenauts, I doubt it was him.

Yeah he said that.

I'm not dredging up the interview again because any fan should have already read it by now.

I don't doubt that, but I'm not a fan, but if he DID say it, that son of a bitch is a liar. Between Policenauts and Snatcher, there are like... 30 versions across multiple platforms and formats.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    jimenex wrote: »
    So without exclusives...will there really be a difference between the xbox and the ps3? I mean, I see Konami porting MGS4 to the xbox but it's impossible for Halo 3 to appear on the ps3.

Two VASTLY different situations. Bungie is basically 1st Party with a dash of 2nd party sesoning, While Konami is a 3rd party developer.

*sigh* I thought we got this out of the way in the first/second party thread. A second party studio is an independant developer developing games for a first party publisher. Bungie is completely owned by Microsoft, so they are first party (no basically or second party seasoning about it).

Anyway, this is just speculation from an employee of Microsoft. I mean seriously, the guy works in the Germany office of Microsoft, does anyone with common sense think that he'd be anywhere near involved in discussions with Square Enix or Konami.

Final Fantasy XIII isn't being ported to the 360. MGS4 may end up being ported eventually (a year or so after the PS3 release) but there's a very good chance it'll be an even far worse port than the MGS2 Xbox port (since the MGS4 engine was built from the ground up for the PS3 and wouldn't exactly be easy to port).

Einhander: White Engine is exclusive to PS3. The only time it's ever been referred to as multiplatform is in the interview with Sakaguchi, who would know as much about it as us (so it was idle speculation).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Yeah he said that.

I'm not dredging up the interview again because any fan should have already read it by now.

I don't doubt that, but I'm not a fan, but if he DID say it, that son of a bitch is a liar. Between Policenauts and Snatcher, there are like... 30 versions across multiple platforms and formats.
    Well, that was a long time ago. He said that after MGS2 turned out a mess on the Xbox.

JJ on
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Final Fantasy XIII isn't being ported to the 360. MGS4 may end up being ported eventually (a year or so after the PS3 release) but there's a very good chance it'll be an even far worse port than the MGS2 Xbox port (since the MGS4 engine was built from the ground up for the PS3 and wouldn't exactly be easy to port).

you have liek the coolest crystal ball ever.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    soapofdurdensoapofdurden Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I could see MGS4 being put on the 360. Maybe not as a simultaneous launch with the PS3 version; more like a release afterwards like what they did with MGS2.

FFXIII...not bloody likely I'd say. But whatever; after the disspointment that was FFXII, I just don't care.

soapofdurden on
    Xbox Live: soapofdurden, Twitter!
  • Options
    davidbarrydavidbarry Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I can't wait for the day when there is only one video-game console to choose from.

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • Options
    El VientoEl Viento Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    White Engine is multiplatform in the sense that it started life on the PS2 before moving to the PS3 as soon as they got devkits. Your point still stands however as Sakaguchi was pretty much out the door at Square before development began so he wouldn't know much about it.

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    davidbarry wrote: »
    I can't wait for the day when there is only one video-game console to choose from.

It will be an Atari 2600, the only console our robotic slave masters will allow us.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    PenguinSephPenguinSeph Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I can.

They're would be price grouging and everything. Games would be like £100 without any compitetion.

It would be horrible.

PenguinSeph on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Einhander: White Engine is exclusive to PS3. The only time it's ever been referred to as multiplatform is in the interview with Sakaguchi, who would know as much about it as us (so it was idle speculation).

I don't understand this part. If Sakaguchi knows about as much about it as us, how are you saying that it's exclusive to the PS3?

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    El Viento wrote: »
    edit: Oh, and maybe another 150 million for the Star Ocean franchise. JUST IN CASE

I just want to see Star Ocean 1 and 2 remade for the 360 goddamnit.

The only thing in my mind that would be acceptable, as far as the Star Ocean series goes.

All 3 and beyond can go die in a fucking fire.

Transporter on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

That would be very bad.

When game companies compete, gamers win.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007

That would be very bad.

If they're not too busy calling each other idiots on the interweb.

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Sonos wrote: »

you have liek the coolest crystal ball ever.

I like to call it common sense. These are the facts:
    a) Kojima hates ports, so if he's forced to port it to the 360, he isn't going to let it get near anyone in Kojima Productions (so another Konami team would be porting it).
    b) The MGS2 port to the Xbox relied completely on brute force to get it to work (meaning, the Xbox's hardware was so much more powerful than the PS2's, that they just threw it onto the Xbox without tuning it).
    c) The MGS4 engine is built especially for the PS3's hardware. If they had to port it to the 360, they'd have to completely re-work a lot of the code.

If you look at those facts, it's pretty easy to realise that a MGS4 port would probably end up as a complete mess.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I don't understand this part. If Sakaguchi knows about as much about it as us, how are you saying that it's exclusive to the PS3?

Or knows more, probably.

I really suspect it's 50/50 on whether or not FFXIII goes multi or not. There's a hair under ten million 360s in rotation at the moment and the 360 sold the best in the States this past holiday season. Really the only reason the GaijinBox isn't selling in Japan is because there's a percieved lack of "Japan" games for it. If XIII goes 360 to capture the international market it'll also kickstart the 360 market in Japan.

And remember folks: Dragon Quest IX is on the DS. Anything can happen now. Anything.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I could see MGS4 being put on the 360. Maybe not as a simultaneous launch with the PS3 version; more like a release afterwards like what they did with MGS2.

FFXIII...not bloody likely I'd say. But whatever; after the disspointment that was FFXII, I just don't care.

FFVII and FFVIII were both ported to the PC, and FFXI was multi-platform. I wouldn't say that it's beyond the realm of possibility that FFXIII could be ported to the 360 if the PS3 doesn't perform as well as Square expects it to.

But yeah ... probably not likely.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nickle wrote: »

That would be very bad.

If they're not too busy calling each other idiots on the interweb.

But Sony's "Yo Mama" jokes against Microsoft were the main reason I wanted to buy a PS3. :|

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well... Sakaguchi did used to be the boss of Square. He spent a huge portion of his life there, and the game industry to mere developers (not Nintendo/Sony) in Japan isn't as rabidly secretive as it is with Western companies. I imagine Sakaguchi still has numerous friends at Square and they undoubtedly chat about their work. What if he and Nomura met for lunch or something and Nomura said "Oh, we're porting White Engine to xbox360 too," when he talked about Lost Oddesy or whatever.

The man is connected, and the exact way he phrased it in the interview was "The last I heard, it was.." which suggests he's just heard it off someone working on the game. I'd be inclined to believe him. If that means FF is coming to 360 is a completely different matter - they could be testing the water for a port or just testing the power of the console generally.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    edited March 2007

a) Kojima hates ports, so if he's forced to port it to the 360, he isn't going to let it get near anyone in Kojima Productions (so another Konami team would be porting it).
    b) The MGS2 port to the Xbox relied completely on brute force to get it to work (meaning, the Xbox's hardware was so much more powerful than the PS2's, that they just threw it onto the Xbox without tuning it).
    c) The MGS4 engine is built especially for the PS3's hardware. If they had to port it to the 360, they'd have to completely re-work a lot of the code.

If you look at those facts, it's pretty easy to realise that a MGS4 port would probably end up as a complete mess.

I can sum up a, b and c with three words followed by a period:

companies like money.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Xbox Dreisechtig

this name is sooooo much better

Ranced on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

companies like money.

At the end of the day, that shit won't matter. MGS sells a lot and makes a lot of money, and that's not down to just us, the hardcore, that's down to the more casual Joe public players who won't know how much the Xbox version sucks. By that logic, it being on 360 at all will undoubtedly be damaging to the idea of MGS being a flapshipn PS3 title.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Hey now, you take that back :xI loved XII to pieces and I'm going to pick up Revenant Wings the day it lands in the States.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

companies like money.

And if there was one company who has money, in ample supply, it would be Microsoft.

Plus, they have 10 mil consoles out there. That increases the potential buyers by more than double.

I dont think that Konami are going to be all over Kojima though. I mean, they arent desperate for money and porting it isnt exactly the most crucial thing in the world. I imagine if they do they probably say to him 'hey, port MGS4 to the 360 so we can sell more'

'i dont like ports'

'well give us the resources to get someone else to port it while you work on some crazy stock market game'

'ok'

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    IllyriaIllyria __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I can.

They're would be price grouging and everything. Games would be like £100 without any compitetion.

It would be horrible.

Well the way things are today is hardly ideal either. You're basically gonna be completely broke if you want to play, say, Super Mario Galaxy, Halo3 and MGS4. Only one console would probably lead to monopolistic practices like you describe, but two would certainly be a lot better for our collective wallets than three.

Illyria on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] alley.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007

companies like money.

At the end of the day, that shit won't matter. MGS sells a lot and makes a lot of money, and that's not down to just us, the hardcore, that's down to the more casual Joe public players who won't know how much the Xbox version sucks. By that logic, it being on 360 at all will undoubtedly be damaging to the idea of MGS being a flapshipn PS3 title.[/QUOTE]

you of course could be dead on but so could I by saying Konami will be tempted to make double or more by porting it regardless of what one of their developers thinks. If one of their premiere developers gets a bit testy say, "Here you go I bought you this yacht."

pretty soon Snake will be $3 at the drive thru in this years new smash "Snake's Big Bumpin' 2: The Octagon of Burgers" if you toss around enough yachts.

edit: effed up the quote dont feel like changing it

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    PenguinSephPenguinSeph Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Illyria wrote: »
    I can.

It would be horrible.

Well the way things are today is hardly ideal either. You're basically gonna be completely broke if you want to play, say, Super Mario Galaxy, Halo3 and MGS4. Only one console would probably lead to monopolistic practices like you describe, but two would certainly be a lot better for our collective wallets than three.
    Dude. Buy 1 or 2 depending on your fund and then wait until after the gen. Then, the remaning consoles will be really cheap.

PenguinSeph on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Yeah he said that.

Yeah because he sure does own Konami, rite?

I mean seriously, what the hell? You honestly think Kojima chose to port those games, as if his opinion really mattered back then? It wasn't until Metal Gear Solid 1 that he started gaining a lot of influence within Konami, before then he was just another designer within Konami. Oh and for the record, he's hated ports since Konami ported Metal Gear 1 to the NES and just so happened to ruin it.

Death of Rats: Because all we know is that it's PS3 exclusive? The rest of what he was saying was just speculation.

El Viento: Uh the earliest form of the White Engine was the engine that ran the FFVII tech demo a couple of years ago. I mean sure, FFXIII moved from the PS2 to the PS3 but I'm pretty sure they started from scratch once they got their PS3 dev kits.

SpaceDrake: So you're saying that Square Enix will port the game to the 360 so that they can boost 360 numbers? :| Me thinks that even if it were, most Japanese people would get the PS3 version.

As for Dragon Quest IX appearing on the DS, what's your point? The DS is massively successful in Japan (and more recently over the globe), are you seriously trying to compare it to the 360?

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I can.

It would be horrible.

I thought of the 3 consoles there were really only two you needed to buy anyway: One for power (it doesn't matter which), and one for strange new fun. I just need to decide which of the two I want to buy, PS3 or 360. The exclusives were really tipping me towards the PS3, and I never really liked the Xbox consoles. In light of recent events, though...*shrug* I'm a sucker, and I'll probably own all three.

Nickle on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I care less and less about Final Fantasy after each game. FFXII was a decent RPG but it just failed to elicit any hype from me, before or after I played it. I'm definitely more interested in MGS4, which is also much more likely to land on the 360 eventually, considering that 2 of the 3 MGS games were ported to different consoles last gen.

Zek on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ranced wrote: »
    Xbox Dreisechtig

this name is sooooo much better

Please tell me that's what they call it.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Well... Sakaguchi did used to be the boss of Square. He spent a huge portion of his life there, and the game industry to mere developers (not Nintendo/Sony) in Japan isn't as rabidly secretive as it is with Western companies. I imagine Sakaguchi still has numerous friends at Square and they undoubtedly chat about their work. What if he and Nomura met for lunch or something and Nomura said "Oh, we're porting White Engine to xbox360 too," when he talked about Lost Oddesy or whatever.

The man is connected, and the exact way he phrased it in the interview was "The last I heard, it was.." which suggests he's just heard it off someone working on the game. I'd be inclined to believe him. If that means FF is coming to 360 is a completely different matter - they could be testing the water for a port or just testing the power of the console generally.

He did used to be the boss at Square, before he nearly ran them into bankruptcy and was removed from his position (after that, from what I can tell he floated around in limbo until his contract ran out).

Basically, porting the White Engine to the 360 makes no sense. Why? Because they just licensed the Unreal Engine for the purpose of 'multiplatform development'. Like I said earlier, not going to happen.

Sonos: You realise that Kojima is on the board at Konami, right? And that he's already pretty well off?

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2007
    Exclusives will be a part of consoles for a good, long while. Unless Sony and Microsft entirely stop making first/second party titles.

That, and secondary features of the consoles themselves would be your reason to buy one over the other.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    IllyriaIllyria __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Nickle wrote: »
    I can.

It would be horrible.

I thought of the 3 consoles there were really only two you needed to buy anyway: One for power (it doesn't matter which), and one for strange new fun. I just need to decide which of the two I want to buy, PS3 or 360. The exclusives were really tipping me towards the PS3, and I never really liked the Xbox consoles. In light of recent events, though...*shrug* I'm a sucker, and I'll probably own all three.
    Exactly, but there's always just a handful of games on either the 360 or PS3 that look so compelling that you can never be fully satisfied with either choice. For me personally, the 360 had everything I would want but then BAM! Sony goes and announces Little Big Planet.

In an ideal world, Sony and MS would just merge or something and make it so we don't have to buy two expensive consoles just to play all their games. Their consoles are already comparable enough as it is that there really isn't a necessity for there being two of them from a technical point of view (unlike the Wii).

Illyria on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] alley.jpg
  • Options
    notagamenotagame Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kojima doesn't own MGS, Konami own them. If the ps3 continue to sell like it does now, Konami would be really tempted to port MGS4 to the 360 since there would be 2~3 times the potential customers out there.

notagame on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    I care less and less about Final Fantasy after each game. FFXII was a decent RPG but it just failed to elicit any hype from me, before or after I played it. I'm definitely more interested in MGS4, which is also much more likely to land on the 360 eventually, considering that 2 of the 3 MGS games were ported to different consoles last gen.

Metal Gear Solid :Twin Snakes was more a remake than a port though.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »

Metal Gear Solid :Twin Snakes was more a remake than a port though.

Yeah, which is even better than a port.

Zek on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    jimenex wrote: »
    So without exclusives...will there really be a difference between the xbox and the ps3? I mean, I see Konami porting MGS4 to the xbox but it's impossible for Halo 3 to appear on the ps3.

Two VASTLY different situations. Bungie is basically 1st Party with a dash of 2nd party sesoning, While Konami is a 3rd party developer.

*sigh* I thought we got this out of the way in the first/second party thread. A second party studio is an independant developer developing games for a first party publisher. Bungie is completely owned by Microsoft, so they are first party (no basically or second party seasoning about it).

Anyway, this is just speculation from an employee of Microsoft. I mean seriously, the guy works in the Germany office of Microsoft, does anyone with common sense think that he'd be anywhere near involved in discussions with Square Enix or Konami.

Bolded to explain why common sense is not what people should rely on, as common sense is stupid. Don't rely on it people. Don't use it in arguments. Don't appeal to its authority, it doesn't have any.
    Use facts and figures.

There are some things which have changed how business works on a global scale. These things are the following:
    The internet.
    Airplanes.

If this guy is good at negotiating, they could have flown him over. He could also be involved through video conferencing, email, voice ip. Both of these options have the monetary cost of chicken feed to a large multinational company like Microsoft.
    In todays modern world, trying to play the geographical card as a reason why someone can't be involved in something is a bit 1960s. Ironic from someone trying to promote the ps3, touted as the future of gaming.

I don't care about the rest of your argument, or anything else really. Just what you said struck me as really ignorant of how modern businesses work.

edit: oh yeah, Tekken 6 too please microsoft!

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007

companies like money.

At the end of the day, that shit won't matter. MGS sells a lot and makes a lot of money, and that's not down to just us, the hardcore, that's down to the more casual Joe public players who won't know how much the Xbox version sucks. By that logic, it being on 360 at all will undoubtedly be damaging to the idea of MGS being a flapshipn PS3 title.

What, did the casual gamers buy this shit out of the MGS2 XBox port or something? No, they didn't, you can't discount word of mouth. It's not like casual gamers are mutes or anything.

Aside from that, the absolutely immense amount of work that would be required to port MGS4 to the 360 would cost money. It's not like it's fucking popping into existence, it would take time and effort in spades considering how vastly different the two consoles are. After that, it's a balancing act. Do they want to spend a shitton of money to put out the best possible port at the risk of it being subpar and having shitty sales, or do they spend a touch less money to put out a half-assed port that sells even worse? They might break even, and that's if they're lucky with it, but Microsoft doesn't generally gamble with their money. If they do something, they do it because they know they can win.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Unco-ordinated, I think people would have reacted better if you said that FF13 most likely won't be ported from the PS3. Even if, in your view, the curent situation makes it unlikely it would be ported, it's not outside the realm of possibility. There could be a huge transfusion of cash, Kojima could have a change of heart, upper management at Konami could pull rank, etc.

Saying flat out that it won't be ported in the face of that possibility (however small it may or may not be) makes you sound like Terrorbyte.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293