As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Ys]: Adol Made a Thread

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Since I don't have a Vita and don't plan on getting one anytime soon, I don't have much to say about Celceta aside from the videos of it, which look good. Hopefully we'll get 1.) a Vita TV release in the US and 2.) this game patched so it works with the Vita TV.

SteevL on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Oddly little talk about Celceta in here, are people just not buying it?

I'm a few hours in and still not sure how I feel about my first Ys game. The combat is fun, but I still feel that status ailments are too punishing. Especially since I just got to my first real dungeon (I guess?) where you don't heal just by standing around. That was a bitch. Also thought I was underleveled for the boss of that place because I was hitting him for like 8, then I went and grinded a few levels to come back and find that no, that's just part of this fight. Interesting. That fight also made me wish the party AI was a little less stupid.

The status ailments (which are abnormally frequent in Celceta, compared to past Ys games) can be mitigated by upgrading your armor to give resistances, or by just slapping some immunity accessories on. Mostly the first, as accessory slots are valuable, in my experience. Triple skill EXP gain? Yes please. Or by bringing along a shitload of curatives, since this game doesn't limit how many you can carry (something I'm not such a huge fan of).

They did a much better job in Celceta than in Seven of making the characters who aren't Adol fun to play as. The first four are all a blast for different reasons, which is nice, since in Seven I basically only played as Adol or archer-of-the-moment since Dogi, Mishera, and Geis were just too slow, and the kid pissed me off. They also did a much better job giving the various skills reasons to be used, which is awesome, and the skill leveling system makes a lot more sense. The more expensive a skill, the fewer uses it takes to level, generally, and there are only 3 skill levels, unlike in Seven where I think the limit was 10, and I'm not sure I ever got a skill there. Each skill also noticeably changes its effect with each level, unlike in Seven where the effect wouldn't change until level 5.

So far the boss fights in Celceta haven't been as good as the ones from Seven, overall, and the addition of regeneration and lifesteal have made the game generally easier, but I'm okay with that. I'm regretting starting on Hard instead of Nightmare, but there are future playthroughs for making things awful on myself.

And, most importantly, the music has been overall good :P Though I have to say that the boss themes I've heard so far haven't been as good as the ones from Seven, I am probably a bit biased. The main boss theme is definitely good, and the crater's overworld song is pretty great. The last dungeon I went through had music that reminded me of the original Ducktales, which seemed out of place in Ys, but was still enjoyable.

I really goddamn hope the Vita TV comes to the US so I can play this on my couch, with a controller. My hands hurt quite a bit from the time I've put into this in the last week, as does my neck from looking down at the Vita, though that's more the fault of my putting a buttload of hours in than of it being on the Vita.

Edit: I am having trouble getting Adol to learn new skills, though, which is annoying, and this early in the game's lifespan it's hard to find out why.

What info I can find says that skills unlock at a certain character level, and the chance to learn them increases based on whether enemies you're fighting are higher level than you. I'm not sure where I can go to find some significantly higher level enemies, though, and my Adol is sitting at level infinity because he's always there.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I binged pretty hard and got through Ys II. Its definitely a more tightly put together game than I, but I don't think I enjoyed it as much. Just way too much backtracking and most areas were way to huge and confusing. I think I spent more time in the final dungeon than I did the rest of the game.

That said, it was a nice little story. Origin/I/II make for a nice package. If anything, it wrapped up so well that I'm in no rush to move to the later games. I can't decide if I should do IV or III next, but I think I could use a little break either way.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    If you're committed to doing the whole series, I recommend getting all of the games made pre Seven and Memories of Celceta ones done first, as it's hard to go back after that. So III and VI.

Beat Celceta! Overall the bosses were a little disappointing, but honestly this has had probably the best story out of the Ys series, probably due to it being the most recently produced.

I think the main issue with the bosses, though, was that the gear upgrading system, while nifty, introduces a huge range of possible power levels for any given point in the game. The difference between a weapon with no upgrades and one with a bunch of attack, absorb, and crit on it is just too big for them to tune boss fights very tightly unless they tune them to the maximum possible upgrade levels, which would've been prohibitively grindy. They did a fantastic job making the non-Adol characters more fun to play than they were in Seven, which I appreciated. I'm not sure where to place the music just yet. I'll have to give it some more listens.

I'm holding off on a Nightmare/platinum run until we (hopefully) get the Vita TV over here, though. 30 hours hunched over a handheld has convinced me that I'm getting a bit too old to be hunched over a handheld for 30 hours.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Really early in Ys Celceta. Just got Adol's second skill, so I switched over to Duren to earn his second skill. He ended up earning his second and third skills back to back.

How does this system work? I thought it was based on some formula that takes kills and character level and enemy level and adds in some random numbers, but I have no clue.

• Options
    As far as I've been able to figure it out from my searching, this is how it works:

At level X you gain the ability to learn a given weaponskill (let's say level 10 for Duren's Phoenix Kick for the sake of example)

Once Duren is level 10, every time an enemy dies (possibly requires him to get the killing blow? Not sure) he has a chance to learn Phoenix Kick based on his level relative to the enemy's. The farther the enemy is above him in level, the higher the chance, and vice versa for if he's higher level than the enemy.

Thus if you're underleveled you'll learn skills basically as soon as you possibly can, but if you're overleveled you might not see skills for a while. I'm not sure how big the curve is, or what the exact minimum levels for the skills are, though. I do know that my Adol went through a pretty bad drought for like 10-15 levels or so, and then learned like 6 skills over the course of 3 dungeons. That's what led me to do some research on this, but the game is still so new that there isn't a very strong consensus.

• Options
    Ah, okay. That would make sense. It's kind of an odd system. I wonder why they did that.

• Options
    I haven't touched anything in the Seven/Celceta battle system, but if I can go from Origins to I/II I don't think I'll have trouble going back to III/VI from those two.

Though I am worried about touching V, even with the translation. It seems just a bit too dated. Did anybody put some more time into it?

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
  • Options
    I've played through a bit of the Kefin, and it's far from awful, at least IMO.

It's got a lot of obtuse 90s japanese game design going on, but on the bright side it has some really good animation. I think the basic sword stab is like 7 or 8 frames. This also makes each action a bit clunky, but so far it's also not hard enough that I care a whole lot.

But I am a pretty diehard Ys fan, so YMMV. If you do play it, be keenly aware that there are a lot of screen-sides that are mostly obscured by buildings that wouldn't be a path in most games that are in Kefin.

• Options
    Is there anything ridiculous and confusing puzzle-wise? There were definitely some moments in I/II that I wouldn't have ever figured out without a FAQ. The translation is new so I can't imagine there's much around in the way of walkthroughs.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Like I said, it's very 90s japanese game design. There is minimal handholding, and a lot of times you need to be pretty thorough in talking to townsfolk to get the direction you need, but nothing so obtuse that I've had to walkthrough yet, anyway, and I'm about 1/3 through the game, judging by key item acquisition.

Just put several more hours into it only to have the game reboot very near what I assume was the end -_-

Guess I'll beat this tomorrow, not today.

Kainy on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    I beat Ys V last night. Pretty fun game, but it doesn't look or feel anything like a Ys title. It was much closer to the Soul Blazer games (Illusion of Gaia for those in the west), which isn't a bad thing. But, again, it really doesn't feel at all like Ys.

• Options
    Yeah, that's the feeling I got from the bosses, too.

Re-finished it. It's a shame that the boss fight against the commander is significantly better than the two that follow, but at least there was one really solid boss battle in the game.

It's a shame they didn't put more spells like the most basic one in, or really tell you what the effects of the various magics were. There was a lot of neat stuff buried in it , it just ended up being unnecessary because of the parallel level system and the fact that casting sword was all you really needed :P

Still, I enjoyed the Kefin story. Not bad for an SNES era action RPG, and seeing the beginnings of the Terra character was neat, Ys VI having been the one that really got me going on the series. I'm glad to finally have played some version of all the games. Now I know the whole tale... of Adol's first like 9 years of adventuring.

I wonder if Falcom will ever actually finish the meta-story they've got going with the
    ancient winged race that Eldeel, Feena, Reah, and Alma are all from (to name the ones I can think of off the top of my head)

• Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I am at 99.5% map completion in Celceta and it is driving me up a damn wall. :(

Looking at my map the missing 0.5% is certainly "you didn't hug the edges close enough at these five random places" and I can't find them and raaaaagh.

bss on
    3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    bss wrote: »

Looking at my map the missing 0.5% is certainly "you didn't hug the edges close enough at these five random places" and I can't find them and raaaaagh.

IIRC there is a tiny bit by the volcano that you can't get until the very end, but yeah, you need to edge hug pretty hard.

Look for anywhere on your map where the border of the path is even the slightest bit translucent, and hump those walls some.

• Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    Kainy wrote: »
    bss wrote: »

IIRC there is a tiny bit by the volcano that you can't get until the very end, but yeah, you need to edge hug pretty hard.

Look for anywhere on your map where the border of the path is even the slightest bit translucent, and hump those walls some.

Yeah, I popped the slice of map in the last dungeon before going for what I missed (the last dungeon is somehow 0.2%, if anyone else is wondering); I eventually found all of the missing corners and whatnot. Next gripe: counting the chest up to the approach to the final boss, I'm one treasure chest short, and I can't seem to find any missing ones in dungeons, so it looks like it's time to put on the Sacred Beast Collar and hop around the entire overworld.

I really, really liked this game so that's why I'm trying to plat it, but man, being a completionist kinda sucks sometimes.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I'm maybe 5 hours into this, but so far the music is not impressing me. I'm not into the characters or story, and the combat is mashy and uninteresting.

But the music is what's disappointing me the most.

I'm probably partly to blame because Ys Celceta is one of the reasons I got a Vita, so my expectations were really high, but I was expecting something better on pretty much all fronts.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Celceta's music was, in general, not the greatest compared to the rest of the Ys games, yeah.

The combat can be really technical and awesome, it just doesn't really need to be on normal difficulty. I'm not sure whether Hard or Nightmare help make it so you actually have to use the system or not.

I really liked the story, but I really like the entire series, so even snippets of Adol's pre-Ys I life are enough to keep me going.

• Options
    Starting Celceta after playing the games in plot order may have been a mistake. There are so many new systems compared to Origins that its nearly overwhelming. I wouldn't really call that a complaint though. I'm just trying to figure out this crafting and upgrading business. The new combat flow with skills>extra attacks is pretty satisfying as well.

The single greatest thing is having NPC teammates run off and pick up straggling items for me sometimes. I want that in every game.

• Options
    That reminds me that I should dig up my PSP and play Ys 7, which also has NPC teammates!

• Options
    MorinokoMorinoko Registered User regular
    I´m playing Ys I on PSP, just killed the damn bat boss, had to try it like 20 times.

Besides that, the game is great!

• Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    So after letting it sit in my backlog since the 2013 Winter Sale I finally decided to fire off Ys I & II Chronicles+ on Steam a few weeks ago. The series has grown on me scarily quickly and finished both I & II (Normal runs) and am now working on finishing my first Oath run (Normal, too). I also picked up Origins during the aforementioned sale and will probably tackle that next. Really enjoy the action, story, and music from what I have played so far. I'm sure that opinion will change when I start playing Nightmare runs but for now I like it.

Also, a question: Is there a better deal out there than $35+ for a used PS2 copy of Ark and $20 for a new copy of Seven? That is what I'm seeing on Amazon and just want to be mindful of other options to fuel my mini-obsession at the most reasonable rate possible.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    Sadly that's probably about what you're going to pay, although I say "sadly" in the least sad way possible. Ark has some of the best dungeons in the entire series, and Seven is just flat out my favorite by a fair margin. If you have to choose one, choose it!

• Options
    Heh, Ark of Napishtim is probably my least favorite of the most recent Ys games, although I've get to play my copy of Ys 7. I t The music didn't grab me like the other games in the series, and it felt like they improved the combat with Oath and Origin. It probably doesn't help that the voice acting in Ark was not very good.

That being said, I don't regret playing it. I'm surprised it goes for so much.

• Options
    There are "cheat" codes you can enter in the menu to have the original VA and cutscenes, which I imagine helps, as I've never played it otherwise.

They changes they made in Oath/Origin were definitely for the better, though I do like how the 3 swords in Ark of Napishtim actually fight differently, which gives some nice variety in the melee combat, though since using magic is much rarer until later in the game, it kind of HAS to have a bit more variety.

• Options
    fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Kainy wrote: »
    There are "cheat" codes you can enter in the menu to have the original VA and cutscenes, which I imagine helps, as I've never played it otherwise.

They changes they made in Oath/Origin were definitely for the better, though I do like how the 3 swords in Ark of Napishtim actually fight differently, which gives some nice variety in the melee combat, though since using magic is much rarer until later in the game, it kind of HAS to have a bit more variety.

I'm pretty sure the original VA doesn't work for EU versions. I have a Pal PS2 copy and just turned the voices off ASAP.

I would agree that Oath and Origin were basically just more polished versions of the same combat and I prefer both of those games to Ark. The balance in Ark sometimes felt a bit more rough in terms of sudden difficulty spikes. When I was losing against a certain humanoid duel boss in Ark, I needed to grind stats to get through, because some of his attacks were close to impossible to predict. In contrast, when I was losing in Oath, I generally needed to play better and dodge- it just felt a lot more fair to me.

fedaykin666 on
  • Options
    Any tips on the final boss of Ys I ?

I´m equipping time ring, hugging the wall and running in circles trying to hit him and sometimes manage to lower his HP to 25%, but I still get killed after a while.

• Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    Morinoko wrote: »

I´m equipping time ring, hugging the wall and running in circles trying to hit him and sometimes manage to lower his HP to 25%, but I still get killed after a while.
    Do you have the silver equipment on? That helps a lot, and I don't think it's explicitly pointed out anywhere in the actual game.

Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Yeah, Ys I's final boss can be a whole bag of 'em sometimes. It must've taken me a hundred tries just to come out ahead.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    BastilleBastille Surrey, BCRegistered User regular
    Watch a few videos of people doing time attacks. Best thing I can recommend really. Sticking to the edges but making sure you take advantage of the opporturnities to deal damage to him will result in a victory eventually.

• Options

Possibly level if you aren't max level, and make sure you realize that his pattern is completely a pattern, so his movement is 100% predictable. Use that to take large chunks out of his health every opportunity you get.

Basically that fight is a do or die situation. Any time you waste waiting will generally just bite you in the ass later as you run out of platform and/or get stuck by holes.

• Options
    Thanks, guys. I will check out the time videos tomorrow and try again.

Lork, yes I have the silver equipment on and level up max, thanks

When you start Ys 2,does it imports your save game, or you start from scratch?

H

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Ys II is a fresh start - you won't have your weapons, equipment, accessories or key items except the Books.

Also this thread has gotten me listening to the soundtracks for I, II and Origin again. I really should move on to Oath in Felghana soon...

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Be prepared for possible anger if you watch some videos from other versions of the game. They're all the same fight and mechanics, but every one looks infinity easier by virtue of the asshole not moving like he just shot two speedballs up his eyes. If he and his attacks just moved 20% slower, like they do in every other damn version, he wouldn't be that bad.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Thanks, guys. I will check out the time videos tomorrow and try again.

Lork, yes I have the silver equipment on and level up max, thanks

When you start Ys 2,does it imports your save game, or you start from scratch?

H

An Adol tradition is that at the end of every adventure, he tosses all of the awesome magic artifacts he's acquired in the trash, and starts over from nothing.

Well, or on the way to his next adventure he gets shipwrecked and loses almost everything.

This pays off in Ys Seven when you're stripped of all your gear and made to fight a miniboss halfway through the game, as Adol is used to being totally awesome without anything but a rusty butterknife and a paper plate for a shield.

• Options
    ahahaha, awesome!

Hey, I finally did it! (after watching a YouTube video of a guy beating it in 1:30 minutes).

Some proof:
    xmxpwpqm85c3.jpg

Excited about Ys II, but I guess I need to finish some other games in the backlog that I´m in the middle, before starting a new one (I´m in the exact same situation in Crisis Core and Minish Cap (on the flying boss))

thanks for the encouragement!

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    ahahaha, awesome!

Hey, I finally did it! (after watching a YouTube video of a guy beating it in 1:30 minutes).

Some proof:
    xmxpwpqm85c3.jpg

Excited about Ys II, but I guess I need to finish some other games in the backlog that I´m in the middle, before starting a new one (I´m in the exact same situation in Crisis Core and Minish Cap (on the flying boss))

thanks for the encouragement!
    Congrats on taking down that nuisance. Believe me, it was frustrating for me as well. It took me a while to get around to Ys II myself, but it was worth it. Falcom got really tricky with some puzzles, though; pay attention, and if you're stuck try to talk to everyone important and use every item you have.

• Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Didn't see this mentioned yet but I guess Origin on Steam now has its own trading card set that was released a couple of weeks ago.

http://steamcommunity.com/market/search?q=Ys+Origin

You might get lucky and snag the Goddesses profile background crafting reward with is actually selling for $5 to $10 on the Steam Marketplace right now.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    ...Welp. Guess I gotta go finish Hugo's story now.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    So.. i just finished Ys II.. it was a lot more enjoyable than 1 and the final boss, less annoying, but a little bit easy (i killed him in my first try, at level 53).

So, what about Felgana, should I start right away with that one, or should I try some other games from my backlog first?

H