As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sonic the Hedgehog: The Ultimate Date Movie

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Found out last night that my Sonic 3 battery still works! Woo-hoo!

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    I thought Sonic Dash was just Temple Run with Sonic. If that's the case, I'll just stick to Temple Run.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Just give me a remake of Sonic Advance 2 in HD and we can call it even SEGA.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »
    Sonic Generations had an exceptionally good PC port. Barely had an issue on it.

Apart from the Multiplayer utterly breaking and preventing me ever getting 100% cheevos? :I

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    It was just as spotty on the 360 version.

• Options
    bobwocobobwoco Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Speaking of Sonic Generations, apparently the mod porting Unleashed's daytime levels into Generations PC just got released.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBE2EFNQoEo
    (not sure why the video doesn't want to embed itself)

http://www.sonicretro.org/2013/03/sonic-generations-unleashed-project-mod-released/

Dear god that looks pretty.

bobwoco on
    Steam ID: wocobob
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Unleashed with a Mid-Air Instadeath QTE or two removed? Yes, please.

Edit: Wow. Comparison between the console version and the mod.

GQ7wNE1.png

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    empire city might just be the greatest 3D sonic level period. Of any game. My opinion has not wavered since Unleashed was released.

• Options
    And hey, to drum up a little support for such an underappreciated game, the original trailers:

Original Leak:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2atOJMpqDYk

Reveal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmkZpXZ0G8A

And a dash of Empire City for good measure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAvpqKVQaDY

I've loved the game since launch. Great title that got overlooked so badly. It's great that people will finally get to play these levels, I think they were much better than anything Sonic Colors ever offered up.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    I started out really liking Unleashed (even the werehog levels), but the late parts of the game like the second Tornado QTE-Em-Up and Eggman Land really tainted my entire opinion of it.

It'll be nice to play the fun levels again with the 360 controller, an improved engine, 60 FPS, and 1080p.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    bobwocobobwoco Registered User regular
    S&ASRT is 50% off on Steam today, along with a hidden 50% sale on all the Sonic games on Steam.

Steam ID: wocobob
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    As if Generations wasn't already the best 3D sonic game. The unleashed mod is fantastic! The visual quality is magnificent on my rig.

Can't wait to see how the people trying to build new stages from Sonic Colors assets make out.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think the Wii version has caused confusion and thus tainted concensus on Unleashed.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    The color powers are somewhat essential to the Sonic Colors experience, so they would have to do a lot more programming to get all the powers to work, no?

EDIT: Oh, TSR said assets.

edzepp on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    I'm hoping that the ultimate outcome of all this modding (aside from reenvisionings of previous 3D Sonic levels, of course) is a level creator that makes it easy to build Sonic Colors Game Land type levels.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I think the Wii version has caused confusion and thus tainted concensus on Unleashed.

You're forgetting the much bigger taint.

werehog.png

I've said it before, but I've seen more convincing/scarier werewolves on Disney shows from the 80s.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

You're forgetting the much bigger taint.

I've said it before, but I've seen more convincing/scarier werewolves on Disney shows from the 80s.

The Manhog was dumb, but I will cop to enjoying playing as him.

Just not for 10-20 minutes at a time.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    For the most part, I liked the werehog levels when they focused more on puzzles than platforming. Plus I really liked the look and music of the night lev-"BUMBUM BUM BUM, BWEEEE!"

When they let me listen to the level music, that is.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    I'll admit I adore the hogwolf boss music, which is kind of a jungle beat/retro jazz freakout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwMqmr04CJ8

...though it sounds more Donkey Kong than Sonic.

• Options
    Also this was the loveliest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlrJN3PG_m4

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ShatterShockShatterShock Registered User regular
    I never played Unleashed as I was so horrifically burned by Sonic '06 and Secret Rings that I didn't want to ever play a Sonic game again until Generations, but do you think fan reception of Unleashed would've been better had they, say, put Knuckles in The Werehog's place?

• Options
    I never played Unleashed as I was so horrifically burned by Sonic '06 and Secret Rings that I didn't want to ever play a Sonic game again until Generations, but do you think fan reception of Unleashed would've been better had they, say, put Knuckles in The Werehog's place?

Quite possibly. As a story/concept the hogwolf thing starts stupid and is horribly executed.

• Options
    Play it if you get it for free or bum it off a friend who has it. But don't pay monies for it, even if it has rad daytime stages.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

Most likely, or at least less if it's executed correctly.

Oh, and if you get the chance, play Sonic Colors.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited March 2013

I wondered the same thing at first, but I don't think it would work. The way the Werehog's platforming works is so different (read: slower) from normal Sonic platforming that it'd just feel bizarre to have Knuckles (or whoever) in those levels.

That said, the platforming isn't bad. The unexplained stretchiness of the Werehog actually makes grabbing onto ledges much easier than in other platformers of this type. It also takes some of the frustration out of those balance-on-beams sections.

The primary problem with the Werehog levels is one of pacing. The levels should have focused on the decent platforming, broken up by sections of mindless, goofy combat. Instead, the levels focus on mindless, boring combat, broken up by sections of decent platforming. Most of the enemies are just powerless grunts anyway, which have no chance of ever killing you. In fact, most of the battles themselves are completely optional. When going for speed, I realized you could just run past 75% of them.

But perhaps the worst consequence of the pacing (which others have pointed out) is that the music suffers. Iizuka (the composer) did some great work in this game, but the great night themes are constantly being interrupted by the battle theme. Not only that, but the battle theme actually gets good after a minute or so! Too bad you'll only be hearing the intro over and over and over again. It kills me to think how good the music in the night sections could have been if the battle theme wasn't constantly starting.

And yes, overall Sonic Unleashed (360/PS3) is an underrated game. The daylight levels are great.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    The best part of this mod is the Classic Sonic support. He feels quite a bit different in 3D, and he retains his physics in 2D. Makes the game extremely difficult in some places, but that's awesome because it's momentum-based.

Plus he looks awesome in those levels. Empire City is great as classic sonic.

• Options
    I didn't realize there was Classic Sonic support in here - didn't notice any in the trailer? Does it keep the regular Modern perspective? I imagine it plays a lot like Adventure?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    You unlock Classic Sonic when you beat the game as Modern Sonic. It plays really more like Classic Sonic in 3D. He keeps all his physics and momentum. He lacks the quick-step and boost, and can't spindash or he'll crash the game, but he can roll and use the lock-on (which is necessary because virtually no levels would be beatable without it). Some of the quickstep lane-change segments are way harder because you have to manually steer, and he has momentum just like in 2D, but overall I find his game to be charming. The best parts are the 2D bits, which play like the genesis games now. With the lack of boost, you have to rely on momentum in quite a few spots to throw you far enough to reach a trick ring to get to a higher path.

they went in and made a few of the longer straight aways take place from a side perspective, like the intro to Dragon Road. Those segments still retain the old level layout, but you can't steer anymore and they're kinda hastily done. There are sections where you'd normally slide under blocks where you have to roll as classic sonic, which is tricky. And Jungle Joyride seems to be unbeatable at the very end because you can't out run the rising block. but everything else is gravy. Classic Sonic controls way better than modern sonic when walking on water, because his max speed is much lower. Also, running in 3D towards enemies and jumping without air dashing will keep sonic in a ball, that lets him hit multiple enemies and can fling you very far if you figure out how to exploit it.

Great bonus feature. You can also unlock super sonic for both.

EDIT: Also, the hidden secret for finding wentos has been found out...
    doppleganger races

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    KoramaKorama Registered User regular
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    But perhaps the worst consequence of the pacing (which others have pointed out) is that the music suffers. Iizuka (the composer) did some great work in this game, but the great night themes are constantly being interrupted by the battle theme. Not only that, but the battle theme actually gets good after a minute or so! Too bad you'll only be hearing the intro over and over and over again. It kills me to think how good the music in the night sections could have been if the battle theme wasn't constantly starting.
    Yeah I totally agree with that. The music in recent Sonic games has been so good that it's a shame if it gets interrupted by battle themes (Unleashed), short annoying jingles (Colours - particularly when playing as Super Sonic) or if it gets thinned out by the boosting effect.
    I've said it before: while boosting, the sound should get fatter, not thinner. I believe the first Burnout games did something like that. Generations appeared to try that - there are slightly different versions of the BGM for Green Hill and Sky Sanctuary that are seamlessly switched to while Sonic is going fast. But it still gets ruined by the boost "wind" sound effect.

By the way, Iizuka is the head of Sonic Team, not the composer. He didn't have much to do with Sonic Unleashed at all (got a "Level Design Special Thanks" according to Wikipedia).
    The genius behind the Unleashed and Colours soundtracks is Tomoya Ohtani (plus colleagues, listed in this interview here).

Rex Dart wrote: »
    That said, the platforming isn't bad. The unexplained stretchiness of the Werehog actually makes grabbing onto ledges much easier than in other platformers of this type. It also takes some of the frustration out of those balance-on-beams sections.

And yes, overall Sonic Unleashed (360/PS3) is an underrated game. The daylight levels are great.
    If only the balance-on-beams sections later in the game didn't have spikes at the sides that instantly throw you off and kill you when you make the slightest mistake...
    But overall I enjoyed the Werehog gameplay. I agree that Sonic Unleashed HD is underrated. After the turd that was '06, Unleashed was a revelation and laid the foundation for Colours and Generations.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    OK so impressions; this is awesome

And without all the padding, Unleashed would've been 30 minutes long.

ED AND GUESS WHAT

Over a year of struggling with the broken ass Multiplayer and fighting through crash-to-desktops to fully accomplish the requirements no less than 3 full times, and with a little help from @pablo_price, I got Time Attacker

Vindicated.png

This is a big one for me. I finally beat you. Got this great feeling of closure. Nnng. This feels so great. :D:D:D

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    So, warning about the Unleashed mod. If you haven't already unlocked level-specific achievements (Walk on water, Look both ways, etc), playing these levels is going to unlock them for you.

I'm kind of annoyed that the mod didn't flip those variables to prevent them from popping or provide prior warning or something.

Edit: To be clear, the levels themselves are pretty great. They don't feel as polished as the Generations ones; there's lots of little details like lock-on targeting the wrong thing, or certain checkpoints not extending across the whole road, or the ice sled going wonky when you quick step, or Sonic randomly clipping through a building in Empire city and then blasting upwards, or Sonic's shadow disappearing in Dragon Road, or the road suddenly turning and sending you off a previously invisible cliff in Empire city without warning. Basically things that recall some of the worst parts of previous Sonic games.

But other than that, they're quite good.

Frem on
  • Options
    I think Sega has been spying on my dreams because TSR pointed out in the Sega Digital thread that Sonic The Hedgehog Remastered is a thing that exists. It's Sonic 1 rebuilt in Taxman's Retro Engine (the same thing that the recent Sonic CD release used). 60 FPS, true widescreen, time attack modes, a remastered soundtrack(?!), and probably a few other goodies.

It's only been announced for mobile platforms so far, but Sega would have to be bonkers to withhold it from PCs and consoles. Sonic 2 is probably coming too.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    This thread title is fucking hysterical.

My friend was telling me about the mod and how they went as far as making music for the hub portion of Generations. That's quality work, I was impressed (gave it a listen via YouTube).

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Sonic Racing Transformed console updates
    Networking

• Vehicle collisions in online races handle high latency much better.
    • X360 - Increased timeouts to allow for less network errors.
    • Rating reset issues should be resolved.
    • -100 Rating Penalty for players who quit races intentionally (even for router resets).
    • Starlight Carnival - Road shader adjusted to prevent 'driving in the sky' issue.
    • Super pick-ups in arenas should work in all cases now.
    • Rare issue leaving players unable to return to lobby addressed.

Difficulty

• Tuned the difficulty of Traffic Attack, Ring Race, and certain Race events in World Tour.
    • Corrected certain traffic attack gates not giving you extra time.
    • Made the ‘Skip event after 3 failed events?’ option appear on all difficulties.

Achievements

• Team Sonic - Made achievable in local gameplay so this is easier to get.
    • Yokozuna - No longer unlocks when you only beat Sunshine Tour Expert Ghost.
    • ‘Beat someone 500 points higher than you’ sticker no longer awarded unless criteria met.
    • 'Meteor Strike' No longer triggers incorrectly.

Misc
    • Time Attack – Multiple exploit fixes.
    • Online play - Multiple exploit fixes.
    • Co-op swap weapon slot now allows you to swap if you already have a weapon.
    • Improved front end leaderboard caching.
    • In-games triggers now handle physics tunnelling better for very fast players.
    • incorrect HUD showing ‘Lap 2’ cases addressed.
    • Improved motion controls for Wii-U
    • Favourite character in license no longer incorrect.
    • Hot-Rod physics effect in Arena's clamped.
    • Occasionally being able to drive through Swarm attacks corrected.

Audio
    • Announcer should now say correct finishing position in high latency games
    • All-Star music volume level corrected
    • Reverb effects removed when audio disabled.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    A bit disappointed that they are doing Sonic 1. It's a good game, but it seems very pedestrian compared to later games, not to much it being one of the most re-released Sonic titles out there. After doing Sonic CD, it feels like a step backwards, but maybe that's because Sonic 2 is my favorite and I want to see that released first.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Yeah, most of my excitement over the announcement is knowing that Sonic 2 is next down the pipeline. Hopefully even Sonic 3 and S&K.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I played so much Sonic 2 when I was younger, but never beat it. I could make it to Death Egg Zone and beat Silver Sonic, but never could figure out how to take down Robotnik's robot afterwards. Then I'd use up all of my few remaining lives. The lack of rings is brutal.

I'd love a version of Sonic 2 with level select.

• Options
    Im about to blow your mind cause...

Sonic 2 DID have a level select!

• Options
    Didn't the Genesis games kick you back to the title screen after you beat an act using the Level Select cheat? Or maybe that was just Sonic 3, because I remember trying to use it to get past Carnival Night Zone.

I was so frustrated with that level as a kid that I would periodically rent the game in hopes that the rental cartridge had a save file with Ice Cap or Launch Base.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, most kids then didn't know all you needed to do was to just use the D-Pad to control the spinning red barrel to get past that part. I was one of them and kept on jumping on the darn thing timing it right to push it far enough to slip out underneath.

This discussion has been closed.