As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Voyage [chat]

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    No, wait, my next task will be the most boring ever.

• AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    Repoast:

I think you might find this amusing

so the singapore anti-corruption bureau tried to nail down a senior civil servant for receiving oral sex in exchange for business favours

in singapore law, it's not necessary to prove, in corruption cases, that any favours were actually given. if it is proven that there was some unexplained 'gift', the onus is on the defendant to prove that it was a legit gift and not a bribe: there is a presumption of guilt, not innocence. this is a longstanding legal standard created to fight guangxi networks in the old days

but

their main witness changed her story on the stand to that the senior civil servant forced her to give him oral sex

whoops, now it's assault instead of corruption, and a much higher standard of evidence is required! And, you know, what with changing her story and all, the witness is unreliable. Out the case goes!

they couldn't get him for assault either, even though it has to be one or the other, either he forced himself or her or he didn't :rotate:

Isnt that the thing though? The witness has proven to be unreliable, so what proof is there that she isn't lying again?

she worked for a company that could potentially have received favours that the civil servant was in a position to grant

so if the sex was voluntary, then it was corruption under singapore law; if it wasn't voluntary, then it was assault. well, it has to be one of them. but the prosecution can't prove which one it is, and the usual elevated standard in corruption doesn't even help
    Guilty until proven innocent in corruption cases is one of those things that makes perfect sense but still feels wrong.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    The only good use of the -gate suffix I've seen outside Watergate itself was a scandal about the process of women being impregnanted with other couple's embryos: Surro-gate.

Gods yes. This gate usage aggravates the hell out of me. Also, people referring to the Beltway when referring to government districts or elites etc anywhere outside of the US.

Dammit NZ reporters just call it "Thorndon", since that is the actual name of that suburb and where most of them live and work.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Guilty until proven innocent in corruption cases is one of those things that makes perfect sense but still feels wrong.

it's for when the techniques for arranging patrons and payoffs far outpace investigation and judicial capabilities

traditional mechanisms like simply inculcating a complicated network of friends in the bureaucracy who can then be relied on to enforce each other's loyalty are very, very, hard to root out

aRkpc.gif
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    note that the accusation still requires the prosecution to prove that the bribe actually took place

what is removed is the need to prove that anything was reciprocated. it's just assumed that something was reciprocated - verbal promises, etc. - and we may never find out what it is.

aRkpc.gif
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I just woke up from a dream about two bros I knew in Germany. We had all taken a trip back to Germany and were repacking our stuff at the end of the trip in a comedy of errors.

Now I'm awake and I miss them because I am bad at staying in touch with people. I need to send them Facebook messages tomorrow to say hi.

Also I don't want to be awake right now argh.

Americans don't belong in chat at 1:59 AM. It disrupts the natural ecosystem. 1:59 PST is British chat, which renews the delicate balance of a thread (soil content, oxygen, and so on) before another day of Americans water buffalo-ing all over it.

Why am I awaaaaake

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Americans don't belong in chat at 1:59 AM. It disrupts the natural ecosystem. 1:59 PST is British chat, which renews the delicate balance of a thread (soil content, oxygen, and so on) before another day of Americans water buffalo-ing all over it.

Why am I awaaaaake

I have no idea.

That makes two of us. : c

• SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    British chat!?

Damn americans, we all look the same to you don't we?

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

Why am I awaaaaake

'cause

fuck gendered marketing
    I was going to say "foreigner chat" for maximum flippancy but I had insomnia once before and looked in the chat thread and several British formers were all sitting there having this polite discussion about something or other.

Ever since I have thought of the middle of the night as being the British empire's custody of [chat].

Elldren wrote: »

Why am I awaaaaake

'cause

Hey

I'm not like you, engaged in a war to the death against sleep

Sleep is my pal

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    This is not an endorsement of baseball, it's just a sweet catch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xiqjbrX9DE

• SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    I wonder why I am awake too. The guy next to me in class fell a sleep and then whent home. It takes all of my willpower to not do the same. 8am lectures are the devil's invention.

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I have been sent here to infiltrate the great country of Britania

Why am I awaaaaake

'cause

Hey

Sleep is my pal

I was sleeping, and then my roommates woke me up at 3:30.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    man I want Dynasty Warriors 8

Cinders wrote: »

Why am I awaaaaake

'cause

Hey

Sleep is my pal

I was sleeping, and then my roommates woke me up at 3:30.

No one should be woken up at 3:30

It's loutish

Steal their accents and smuggle them back

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Oh, and for your English people, whatever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pDTiFkXgEE

• ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Oh, so apparently we Europeans are gonna cap bank bonuses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21608938

Suits them fat cats fair and square, I'd say.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
    But how will the bankers fund their hookers and blow?

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    But how will the bankers fund their hookers and blow?

They'll find a loophole. They always do.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    Spirit of the law means jack and shit to those guys if they can twist the language like a nerd's nipple they will.

We just need to behead a CEO or five, put the fear of society back into them.

• ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Well, if the shareholders think the bankers deserve it, they can get double a years salary as bonus.

Without checking this up at all whatsoever, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this probably encompasses most if not all existing bonus schemes, so it wouldn't end up being much of a cap for anybody.

But hey. Maybe we can lower the allowed bonuses the next time the economy hits the shitter.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    British [chat]? Let's mix things up a bit.

Hello!

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    good day!

ftOqU21.png
    what's up?

ftOqU21.png
    oh capping bonuses.

somebody remind me why the hell the bonuses matter.

ftOqU21.png
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Abd, the one time you can legit say good morning and you do not do it.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

Steal their accents and smuggle them back

Nooooooooo

the source of our powaaaaaa

we've been over this. Morning is when I get up. I got up a few hours ago.

Also it's midday here.

ftOqU21.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    It was past twelve for him.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    oh capping bonuses.

Because the bonuses make up the majority of absurdly inflated executive pay.

Casual wrote: »
    oh capping bonuses.

Because the bonuses make up the majority of absurdly inflated executive pay.

and we care why

ftOqU21.png
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    oh capping bonuses.

Makes the public feel like action is being taken against fat cats.

This discussion has been closed.