As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A [Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes] thread!? Now available?! It can't be!

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I couldn't even figure out how to finish the side mission to eliminate the two targets without getting spotted.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Nobody can see you if they are all asleep! Which is actually how I beat MGS4 with no alerts. And also no kills.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I am about to step into the world of hard and I am a little nervous.

Really excited to have surround headphones and the companion app though. Honestly not sure how I would be at this game without the companion app.

I have found that throwing empty magazines can be a good way to split guards up if you are going for some isolated take downs. I have a specific strategy for two target side mission that I can't wait to try :)

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    That's no fun! second playthrough is fuck the stealth pile on the murder

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    One thing that had helped a bunch is getting used to how much more vertical GZ is. Being able to hop to the other side of walls or man high fences to avoid detection is huge.

I mean, it's no Assassin's Creed but I did evade pursurers by climbing on a box, jumping off of that box to grab a ledge and then pulling myself on to the roof of a building and going prone there.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Ugh. Why did I try and rescue the two prisoners? I killed them both without getting detected, but I figured I'd try and grab the prisoners before I called in the chopper.
    I got spotted. I could have had an S rank! D:

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    The companion app is a little more finicky on the 360 version, still trying to sort that out >:
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I think I like Metal Gear so much because rarely do fan theories provide so much entertainment.

But how would they make that giant-ass hole in his chest from GZ cleanly vanish? =P

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    Fuck yeah. Got the S rank trophy and the trophy for extracting both targets in one go.
    Go team!

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    One thing that had helped a bunch is getting used to how much more vertical GZ is. Being able to hop to the other side of walls or man high fences to avoid detection is huge.

I mean, it's no Assassin's Creed but I did evade pursurers by climbing on a box, jumping off of that box to grab a ledge and then pulling myself on to the roof of a building and going prone there.

Also, bullet penetration is definitely a thing in this game. I killed two guards I had tagged earlier as they walked behind a canvas divider. I haven't checked other materials yet, but I'm sure heavier guns can punch through some of them.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Also, bullet penetration is definitely a thing in this game. I killed two guards I had tagged earlier as they walked behind a canvas divider. I haven't checked other materials yet, but I'm sure heavier guns can punch through some of them.

Oh man I hadn't thought to try that! Definitely going to give that a go next time I play.

I have to say this is the first MGS game where I feel like a super soldier. Normally I feel like a super spy, sure, but big boss is a legendary soldier, the complete package. I think between the reflex mode, the new aiming and the increased lethality on the guns, big boss finally feels like the killing machine he is supposed to be.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    The vamp and screaming mantis boss fights were rad with the whole how on earth I can't kill/look at them and then I remembered about those syringes. Made me feel like a big smart guy

Also crying wolf freaked out and ran around popping the hood as I shot her in the face while lying under a truck

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I know exactly what truck you are talking about. That truck is OP.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    The box wasn't bullet proof enough.

• Options
    So, we know in Phantom Pain we will be able to build MSF and, unlike GZ, have multiple helicopters at the very least.

My hope for Phantom Pain is that we will, finally, be able to issue orders to our MSF soldiers and fight alongside them in battle. The idea started with Portable Ops, but really it was nothing more than being able to swap out who you were playing and some out of combat perks. Peace Walker greatly expanded this, letting you actually send and lose soldiers on Outer Ops missions, have them air drop supplies for you during a mission, and kind of get the feel of fighting alongside them via the Co-Ops stuff. But still, Big Boss has never really felt like a leader of men in any of the MGS games.

My hope is that you will be able to give orders to your soldiers to do things like attack bases, do raids, cut power to places, cause distractions, etc in real time, in the same game world as Big Boss, via orders you give them with your iDroid. You could charge in with them if you want to take a rambo approach, you could have them lure guards and then run away in a jeep, cause a distraction on the other side of a base, attack the nearby power station to cut power before your infiltration run, blow open a wall to a base with a tank, etc. They should fight with the enemy AI, expanding on the systems that were in place in MGS4, and should be able to win and lose, succeed or fail, and die. I hope they take each soldier having an individual face in GZ and keep for Phantom Pain. I want your soldiers to be distinct and you to be unhappy when you lose them, making you make tough decisions about how much you want to risk them to make your own life easier.

I think there is a lot of potential here.

• Options
    Gah. A rank in the main mission. I was off by like 400 points too.
    I don't know why people keep saying this game isn't worth the price. There's so much content in this thing.

• Options
    Konami did a really bad job of handling their PR, made it seem like they were trying to pull a fast one, and game media outlets did a crappy job of reporting the actual length of things.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    It was the reports that you could speed run the main mission in 5 minutes if you skipped all the cutscenes and ignored everything except completing it, plus people referring to how if you didn't do side stuff it was still only like 2 hours or something.

I mean, I beat South Park: Stick of Truth in 11 hours having done 100% of the content the game has, and that game was $60, so yeah. For $30, I have no problem with the content that is in MGS:GZ.

There can be legitimate concerns about length of games, especially ones that are at a $60 price point, but for a $30 game, this seems to have plenty of content, and what's really important is the quality of the content.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I never heard any of that "glorified demo" bullshit from anyone who had actually played the game. It's the internet outrage machine at work. There's this portion of users who lose their shit over any little thing, like they're addicted to being outraged. Then you have thousands of people repeating these complaints who have no actual firsthand experience with what they're even complaining about.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The game is totally worth it, the story mode is the contentious point. There are folks who buy Call of Duty for the campaign, there are folks who want that one run of MGSV.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    If I could sidestep the arguing about the price for a moment, I want to talk about GZ's tone.

You know I've been reading a long of online articles about GZ and how some people like it and some don't and you know I feel that they both have merit.

A lot of people complaining are saying that GZ doesn't feel Metal Gear. That it seems to be going for a more serious tone but given the history of the game, Kojima made not be able to do the subject matter he's dealing with justice.

And you know personally, I don't know what my opinion is. Kojima is very hit or miss at times and I feel that the reason that I was able to ignore some of the more heavy-handed aspects of the game was because it was wrapped in so much riduculousness.

Now don't get me wrong. I feel that Kojima should make the game he wants to make and if you want storytelling in games to mature you do need people(especially in the AAA space) who are willing to make these kind of games.

So...I guess at the end of the day I'm saying I respect Kojima for trying and I think more people do need to try, but I'm not 100% he'll be able to pull it off.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    If I could sidestep the arguing about the price for a moment

People were arguing?

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Arguing/discussing whatever.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I applaud KojiPro for making a game that seriously comments on Gitmo. It has its problems, but at least they're trying.

It reminds me of Papers, Please in that the stuff it's talking about, while behind a layer of fiction, is still very real and very devastating.

• Options
    Katsuhiro 1139Katsuhiro 1139 Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=95547B2A1EC506C8!217

On the subject of "Kill 'Em All" runs, myself and my friend iDan were tooling around the base causing a bit of mayhem, when I accidentally stumbled upon this crafty (if ill-fated) Fireteam.

Zulu Two, I commend your nearly-successful ambush.

I do not, however, commend your inability to detect the conspicuously beeping C4 charges located right behind you.

Katsuhiro 1139 on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    So I haven't read any reviews or anything for GZ. What's the basic opinion? I understand that there are people who aren't satisfied with the quantity of story, but the game itself is worth picking up?

• Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    So I haven't read any reviews or anything for GZ. What's the basic opinion? I understand that there are people who aren't satisfied with the quantity of story, but the game itself is worth picking up?

Absolutely.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »

If you love MGS, it is entirely worth it. Hell, it's just worth it in general. The actual story mission can be done suuuuper quick, but there is more than enough content in the game to justify the price point, IMO.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Nobody can see you if they are all asleep! Which is actually how I beat MGS4 with no alerts. And also no kills.

I remember sneaking through that first area in MGS4, and coming across a shootout between mercs and insurgent guys. I figured if I tranq'd the insurgent guys, then the mercs would think they won and move on. Nnnnope. I sat and watched from my hiding spot, wide eyed and horrified as the mercs executed every single sleeping guy... I felt like such a jerk.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    I am glad that they give you much tighter ammo constraints on your tranq gun in ground zeroes.

Tranq everyone and everything that moves was strong enough to carry you through all of MGS games before, and it is nice to mix it up.

• Options
    CQC FEELS awesome in Ground Zeroes. It was fine in the other games, but the ability to slam enemies into objects is awesome, or off of cliffs...

• Options
    The only thing I don't like about CQC in GZ is that, as far as I can tell, you have to be perfectly stationary to get the mash R2 series of strikes to come out. If you are moving your just get a quick slam instead.

And hitting L2 doing the series of strikes is the only way to steal someone's gun, which is like my favorite thing to do.

It's not horrible but it makes things slightly more finnicky to do than it needs to be.

• Options
    I bought the Legacy Collection to replace my HD collection that was busted when I bought it.
    Guess I'll be doing that during the easter break.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    As a complete aside, the ANN review had a thread that devolved into a 6-page argument over whether Kojima's treatment of rape in Ground Zeroes was appropriate/done for the sake of titillation/insipid shock value

Having heard the (very fucked up) tapes, I can see where they're coming from but I don't think it's really all that gratuitous at all. It's interesting to read about objections to the actual game content besides the whole price point which everyone went up in arms against (and which I honestly think has drowned out any possible publicity/discussion/outrage surrounding how exactly GZ explores its themes).
    Then again this is the same review that claims Ground Zeroes is not Metal Gear enough or something and complains about the lack of boxes

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    The main argument often used in these cases is flawed from the get go, it simply doesn't apply to GZ.
    The standard complaint of a "girl in a fridge" syndrome and the like is that it's supposed to anger and drive the protagonist towards the antagonist. Here, Big Boss is discussing openly with Kaz simply killing Paz themselves to shut her up. Would they have gone through with it? We don't know, but Kaz's reaction to see Paz is not relief of a comrade's rescue, it's rage at a traitor.

GZ theme about war and torture being intrinsically messed up and horrifying is consistent. It does not begin and end with the sexual content. Paz death is sad and conflicting, because Big Boss had sad and conflicting feelings towards Paz. She was not a romantic interest really, and he likely would have killed her if situations had been slightly different.

It all ties in with the fact that Big Boss isn't the hero he used to be. He's becoming more and more like the people he's fighting, a demon.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Agh! How do you skip cutscenes? Can you not skip the opening scene?

• Options
    Ah, figured it out.

• Options
    Select -> Skip.

It's been an option since MGS4, which is ironic since that game always gets made fun of for long cutscenes.

• Options
    Took me a while to figure out what the select button was, I am still not used to that touch pad in the middle of the PS4 controller at all.

• Options
    Ffffffffffffffuck!

So goddamn close to 0 kills/0 alerts, but a fucking guard woke up an i didn't notice because i was loading prisoners on the chopper. Flipping dangit...

• Options
    My only beef with the game play of GZ so far is that the checkpoint system kinda... blows.

I was trying to sneak out via truck to complete a mission and accidentally hit someone, got caught, and died. So I reload at the checkpoint. With no truck. Surrounded by guards with only the tiniest bit of cover between me and them. Great.

Gives you good incentive to not get caught I guess :P