As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So much joy! So much excitement! So much congratulations! [Weddings and Getting Married]

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Thought we'd sorted out plane tickets to Saint Lucia for our honeymoon, but United couldn't coordinate with Caribbean airlines and didn't think it'd be a good idea to let us know that before obliterating our entire reservation. :unamused:

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Hey so aaaaahhhh

I got married last night.

Surprise!

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Congratulations!

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    AAAAH congrats you guys! Just saw the update on Facebook and immediately came to this thread to see if you were talking about it :grin: the photos look great, such a nice couple!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    RIP keith/#pipe

• Options
    edited August 2014
    It was a surprise!
    we've been talking about it for quite a while and my wife (so weird) had always said her ideal wedding would be throwing a big party where the guests bring the food and we just walk out at one point in fancy outfits with a wedding commissioner and surprise everyone.

My parents are visiting from AUS so we figured it was a good time!

with help from a close friend who organizes film shoots for a living and knows all the right people, we threw the whole thing together in about a month and spent less than $2000. More than half of that on the venue.

it was beautiful and wonderful and we're super happy. We spilled the beans to a few friends who had skills we could utilize. A pastry Chef friend made us an incredible cake. We got two kegs of craft beer for the price of one (minus the staff discount), @Bombardier took some photos with my camera, another friend supplied a PA system for music, my wife made her own dress.

My mum feels kind of cornered right now, and guilty that she was there and the rest of my family wasn't, and one of my brothers feels upset and like we didn't invite him. Everyone else in my family is stoked, though and those two will get over it.

We set up a honeyfund for gifts and a blogger with a custom domain (davidandkailey.com) so people can send us their photos and video and with info about gifting etc.

I highly recommend having a surprise wedding. Minimal planning stress, no debt, very little bullshit.

photos to follow :)

#pipe on
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    #pipe you're a pretty cool dude and I hope you and your wife (!!!) have a wonderful life

Sounds like you guys had a pretty wonderful marriage party wedding surprise thing!

• Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    I fully support the wedding you guys had. It was an awesome way to do things! The venue and everything was amazing.

I hope the night was better after we left with your family. Our parents had similar problems with ours but got over it, and we had a big party when we visited them for all the family/friends in Ontario. No point in dragging people across the globe spending tons of money when we can go to them for less (and have a second party)!

Also I almost thought you were going to start your announcement like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AziJW9p2amM

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    He should have. @#pipe, get everybody back and do the wedding again.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    I hope someone got a photo of my cufflinks

• Options
    After being super cloudy and overcast all day, it cleared up just at the right time.
    1495193_10152589770780873_3751369876154928859_o.jpg
    Please don't use this as a "reason why this generation is bad because they're taking cellphone photos instead of watching" thing

I specifically asked everyone to film the thing so I could make a video for people who weren't there.

10472698_10152589811195873_2182300123469877099_n.jpg

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Dude.

Duuuuuuuuude.

Many hugs and high fives.

• Options
    Did anything turn out from your camera? It was getting dark so quickly.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Y'all are a lovely couple and look so happy together! Congratulations!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    bombardier wrote: »
    Did anything turn out from your camera? It was getting dark so quickly.

Both of the above are from your photos. There are more that turned out good, although I haven't had any time to process anything.

• Options
    Dang I had that on like a million ISO. They look good!

• Options
    ha ha yeah they're pretty grainy, but just fine!

Gonna print that one of the two of us and give framed prints to our mums!

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Pipe you're p. much the coolest guy I know

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    #pipe wrote: »
    I hope someone got a photo of my cufflinks

Please tell me they were these: http://junosama.deviantart.com/art/Simpsons-Piggie-Cuff-Links-276222436

• Options
    They were!

Not nearly as good quality as those ones, though. They were a gift from my sister in law.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Pipe you're p. much the coolest guy I know

I don't know him at all, and he's easiest the coolest guy I know.
    Well, maybe @JoeUser or @Usagi give him a run for the money, but nobody I actually know is close.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    ahhhhhhh so happy for you! So excite! Ahhhh!!!

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Squarespace site set up and waiting for us to pay for the year of hosting, invitations designed and waiting for the finalized squarespace url, venue solid, dress fits great, so that's all good! Tomorrow I have to call a caterer and get a price, determine if we want catering or to try to do it ourselves, still have to order rings (something like this I think, with engraving), book a tux, buy a tie, start accumulating alcohol (which we are doing ourselves), collecting decoration items... all while starting school back up with a full five day a week schedule. I'm getting really excited though! And nervous! Mostly excited!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    #pipe you're the worst looking banana I've ever seen.

Pretty dapper human, though.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    So my girlfriend spent all her vacation time on cons this year and I probably won't be able to take her on a vacation somewhere nice and beachy to get away from it all during the middle of winter.

So I figure I should probably spend the money I was saving for that on a ring! Turns out ring shopping is difficult! I know she likes rose gold, I have no idea what her ring size is(she doesn't wear rings) and she's an awesome, punny, artistic woman with a killer fashion sense so I really want to nail it and get something unique, but I want to do it stealthy-like and blow her mind instead of shopping with her.

Aaaaand after six hours I'm coming up blank. Anyone want to hit me with their favourite rings for inspiration? I know this has come up before in the thread!

( @Infidel you asked me how it was going in the love thread, it is going well as you may assume by the content of this post!)

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Invites all printed, for a total cost of around ten pounds, most of which was on little buttons to decorate each invite.

Having an artistic fiancée is awesome, you guys.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I ordered some paper fans for my wedding off etsy and they arrived yesterday and the quality was suuuuuper shitty.

I had ordered them thinking colored labels with our names on them would be attached to the side of the handle. They arrived on a separate sticker sheet. The fans are just fans.

The etsy person is refusing to give me a refund because the items have been "personalized" and it says on her listing that she doesn't refund personalized items.

and I am stinking mad because no they aren't personalized, they are shitty white fans with no stickers on them, you can easily resell them to someone who also loves shitty white fans

I wasn't even asking for a full refund, just for the fans

I disputed it on Paypal and she has escalated to a claim

Paypal hasn't asked me for an explanation, only her and she doesn't even mention that she fucked up with the labels

So mad

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm going to a wedding reception on Saturday. The big draw is that at 8.45pm they will unveil 500 Cornish pasties.

My friends may or may not be planning to show up at 8.40.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Anyone want to hit me with their favourite rings for inspiration? I know this has come up before in the thread!

Boone Rings is where we got our wedding rings and my wife's engagement ring; that link's for stone settings if you want to go that way, though he makes all sorts of other ones.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I got mine made at Zoara - got to pick out each diamond I wanted in the setting so I verified mine were all ethically sourced! ^.^

I've also looked at Gemvara and a bunch of places on Etsy, though I wasn't looking for an engagement ring so much as a combination of an engagement/wedding ring without 2 separate bands

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Blurgh, sorry that vendor messed up so badly, Viv. That's got to be infuriating! Hopefully you can get your money back.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Thanks Didge!

At this stage I don't mind (much) if I lose the money. It's more the time I wasted waiting for them that could have been spent sourcing better quality ones. Obviously a refund is ideal but I'm not going to let it bother me more than I already have. I've calmed down and we've already found alternatives anyway.

The main thing is that I wouldn't normally be such a stickler for quality nor so nitpicky about every little flaw, but these are being given out to guests and stuff - I want them to be ACCEPTABLE at least. And these weren't. Oh well. We'll sort it out.

In the meantime I hope your last leg of wedding prep is going smoothly! :D

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    0fgR8e1.jpg

SHE SAID YES! WOO!

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Anyone want to hit me with their favourite rings for inspiration? I know this has come up before in the thread!

Boone Rings is where we got our wedding rings and my wife's engagement ring; that link's for stone settings if you want to go that way, though he makes all sorts of other ones.

I got mine from Boone as well. I got a titanium ring with an African Blackwood inlay. It came in great shape when promised. There are some really cool and nerdy options there too.

If I'd had the scratch, I would have gotten the dinosaur bone/meteorite option.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I feel like dinosaur+meteor is maybe not the best symbolism for a wedding band.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Oh, this one is pretty cool if you want a stone that's a bit of meteorite, rather than the usual jewels:
    meteoritesphere.jpg

Also, I'd bet this one looks amazing under the right light (perhaps? maybe your hand gets in the way?)
    quadric.jpg

If you want unique, this one is not something I've seen anywhere else, though at that point it feels as if it's getting to be all about the maker showing off how fancy his ring-making equipment is..

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Our five year anniversary is coming up next month and my wife wants this solitaire enhancer. It's pricy, but worth it for her.

pZALE1-13468744t400.jpg

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Finally got this paid for: http://www.cjamesgauthier.com/ I was going to replace the landing image with a picture of us once we actually paid the hosting, but my fiance likes it so much that he asked me to leave the pokemon halloween picture there. I still have a bunch of stuff to add to it, like finishing up the out of town recommendations and stuff, but it's a solid start. We used his name for the website because once we're done he can just take it over as his professional page to try to get freelance work or whatever.
    Which means I also got invitations ordered! Hosting cost over twice what the invitations did because Groupon had a vistaprint deal last week for $27 for $70 of printing. If we get them on time, they look good, and we mail them out relatively post-haste once we get them, that has them out the door 7 1/2 weeks before the event... which is relatively acceptable, I was worried it was going to cut a lot closer than that. We're still trying to nail down food options and basically all the caterers I have emailed, contact form-ed, or called have failed to respond which is REALLY annoying me

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Wow, great rings all!

Guess it's PA rings day, we just picked up our bands this afternoon (ahh 3 months!)
    XYPy32W.jpg?1

Battletag: Noggin#1936