As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dungeons and Dragons: Neverwinter] It might have become Winter.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Hey guys. @Erlkönig pointed me to this thread. I, uh, like this game. Kind of a lot. I'm scared. I'm on xbox one and know nothing of it. Will try to read through this thread and learn some stuff. Think I just hit level 11 and in the 2nd real area? There was a skirmish event in the first one, didn't see one in the second. Ya, that one. Playing a control wizard.

Also, 2 purple lockboxes dropped and I got all excited. I have to pay to unlock them?

Also got a dungeon key for the daily or whatever, not sure what that is. Joined a que, stayed up for awhile, it popped. Did the first dungeon (it auto levels you up?) There was no chest at the end that was lootable? Was fun, got a lot of stuff. Felt useful the whole time.

Tommatt on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    As soon as I have time, I'm going to jump in on the xbox to see what improved. The only day I had time this week all the servers were down.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Created a nercomancer-like sorcerer (level 8 I think?) or whatever it's called. Man, having not played DnD since 2nd edition (and Baldur's Gate) this shit is alien to me. I have some Destiny to do tonight but if you see me otherwise online, invite me and tell me WTF I'm doing out there.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    What's the equivalent of a Paladin, the Cleric ?

Cleric is very heal and magic based, no melee at all

The Paladin equivalent is actually the Paladin class that we should be getting at some point.

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Tommatt wrote: »
    Also, 2 purple lockboxes dropped and I got all excited. I have to pay to unlock them?

Just toss them or vendor them. Yes, you have to buy keys from the Zen market...what's inside is rarely worth the cost of the key, especially for a new player. Once you get established and start earning plenty of in game AD, you can often trade it for Zen and buy some keys...but for right now, I would save your AD and get to level 60.

Here's a guide to CWs that I made for the PC, but it should still be relevant to the Xbox1.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    BTW, on Xbox the auction house search functionality is horribly broken. If you've the patience to sift through results manually, you can get nifty deals like a level 38 blue weapon for 10 AD.

• Options
    Look for purple and blue crafting assets then...if people are confused as to how to price stuff, you might get some steals.

• Options
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Look for purple and blue crafting assets then...if people are confused as to how to price stuff, you might get some steals.

If I had AD to spend, yeah. I don't think anyone really "gets" how much AD they'll have/do have. Especially since the UI for it is so broken it simultaneously tells you "you can't refine any more today" and "you've refined 0 today!"

• Options
    I just learned how to jump hahahaha. I'm level 13, and just figured out how to jump in this game.
    Tommatt wrote: »

Just toss them or vendor them. Yes, you have to buy keys from the Zen market...what's inside is rarely worth the cost of the key, especially for a new player. Once you get established and start earning plenty of in game AD, you can often trade it for Zen and buy some keys...but for right now, I would save your AD and get to level 60.

Here's a guide to CWs that I made for the PC, but it should still be relevant to the Xbox1.

Tell the googles to put this search result up higher! I was looking for guides and surprised i didn't stumble across this one. I was at that site.

• Options
    @ironzerg question about your guide, why did you pick fight one? I've read that the difference is barely noticable maxed in other guides. Not sure if it's been buffed, or if those weren't very good, just curious.

• Options
    A couple updates ago, Cryptic nerfed the damage bonuses of Wizard's Wrath, Arcane Enhancement and Blighting Power, which made Fight On more attractive. Plus, the bonus is "always on", which I like.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Is there a way/place to store stuff in case I make another character? I have a ton of low level drops for a fighter. Also, how many character slots DO I get (Xbox) ?

EDIT: I'm also looking for Scourge Warlock build advice or should I start with a different character to learn about the game?

jefe414 on
  • Options
    There's the bank. You have shared bank slots that you can use. Or you can mail the items to yourself.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    The only bank I found requires a guild?

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't realize there were tellers next to the guild bank guy

jefe414 on
  • Options
    There's a player bank as well

• Options
    jefe414 wrote: »
    The only bank I found requires a guild?

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't realize there were tellers next to the guild bank guy

Haha I started typing this the other day but never finished it
    There's the bank. You have shared bank slots that you can use. Or you can mail the items to yourself.

There's a bank? I swear I looked and all I saw was a guild bank.

Also, I noticed there's an overflow bag. How does that work? Should I just vendor everything or is stuff worth putting up on the auction house?

Got a question. I'm level 18 and have finished all the quests and the dungeon in the tower area. The next area is level 20, I haven't skipped any quests or content, but it appears I'm behind on levels. What do I do now?

• Options
    I'm not supposed to have enough gold at level 20 to get a mount right? Or am I doing something horribly wrong? I have 2g I think

• Options
    Eek. You should be closer than that. I think I had closer to 4g when I was a bit over lvl20. I didn't even use a mount though until I was a bit into the Neverdead area.

• Options
    I think I got my mount ~22 or so. I also looted everything till that point, no matter how crappy. Hell, I still loot treasure, 'cause it stacks.

• Options
    I loot everything but only because I picked the artifact that let's me summon a shopkeep every 3 minutes.

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I loot everything but only because I picked the artifact that let's me summon a shopkeep every 3 minutes.

What? I don't think I've picked an artifact, or I didn't realize it. I've looted everything sometimes I've had to disband some stuff to make room, and haven't bought anything but tool kits or whatever they are to open chests. I must be doing something wrong.

• Options
    There's a quest at around lvl22 from Knox I think that has Artifact in the name. Once you complete it, you are given a choice of three Artifacts. The shopkeep one is clearly the best. Like by a mile.

• Options
    There's a quest at around lvl22 from Knox I think that has Artifact in the name. Once you complete it, you are given a choice of three Artifacts. The shopkeep one is clearly the best. Like by a mile.

Also every guide I found says it's absolutely awful. Clearly those authors enjoy being poor.

• Options

Unfortunately, it is terrible. Selling a bunch of junk becomes far less useful the higher level you get. And gold comes much easier and faster, and isn't used as much as you would think. I have literally thousands and thousands of gold just hanging out on my characters. I don't even pick up junk items to sell anymore...heck, I don't pick up much of anything.

The stats are also really, really bad. Gold gain and movement are essentially a waste, and once you get to level 60+ and your Artifact becomes a big part of your build, you'll realize it :(

The Lantern or the Waters is a far, far better choice. It's also by far the cheapest of the three "free" artifacts (they're available from other places, BoE), so if you really, really had to have a portable vendor, you could just buy it from the AH.

• Options
    I just assumed by the time gold became useless I'd have picked up a higher level artifact anyways.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    So hey, so it seems Spellstorm doesn't get anything as good as that MoF group +15% damage passive? That's... Nuts. That's an absolutely massive group benefit.

dporowski on
  • Options
    Can someone give me a quick basic rundown on runes/enchantments so I don't waste anything?

• Options
    I just assumed by the time gold became useless I'd have picked up a higher level artifact anyways.

Ya I just got the quest at level 24. Werid how they don't send you back to town. I wasn't really playing when I popped 22 which I think you said you get it at, just kind of logging in to invoke and work on my professions in between stuff, and got 2 levels. Well, I guess I did do some stuff playing while streaming on twitch to show a friend what the game was like.

I'm thinking of going with the same one, as like you said, by the time I really care about what artifacts do, I'll have gold, and be looking at the AH or in games means. From now to 60, it's just leveling, and not having a full inventory and getting money in the first place is going to help more. I can't think of how many minutes I've spent to run to a place just to vendor. I used a scroll earlier, and thought maybe it was like a hearthstone in WoW, but nope, consumable. The one thing I've always hated about DnD games, everything is a consumable.

Not having to waste time is more valuable than any stat gain while leveling.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    So... How about that Steal Time, eh? Hits like a truck.

Can I take it that I'm doing my job as a CW if:

- Holy shit numbers everywhere
    - OH GOD MANY LITTLE THINGS CHASING ME
    - Somehow not dead?

Really not used to a role where "piss everything off and lock them down" is hand in hand with "squishy".

dporowski on
  • Options
    At the end game, Artifacts are exceptionally rare drops, or cost hundreds of thousands to millions of Astral Diamonds. The Dragonborn Pack (the expensive one) also comes with a "free" artifact. If the Xbox version has access to Icewind Dale, you can use it to get more class artifacts if you level up a second class, but that's the only other source of free artifacts.

Plus, when you consider the time and cost involved to upgrade artifacts, switching these things out isn't necessarily a trivial decision.

Trust me, don't pick the Whole Realms Catalog if you're thinking it'll be easy to replace later on. Also keep in mind you're going to be packing three Artifacts at level 60, and two of those are going to be primarily for the stats.

But the Lantern is a fantastic artifact for DPS focused classes, and the Waters is great for a more defensive class, like a tank or even a healer.

• Options
    Almost makes it worthwhile to level characters to get the artifact and send it to your main.

• Options
    Once you unlock a class artifact, any of your characters can claim it from the Rewards Vendor in PE. Keep in mind you can't use them for refining purposes.

• Options
    Once you unlock a class artifact, any of your characters can claim it from the Rewards Vendor in PE. Keep in mind you can't use them for refining purposes.

Oh heck, I meant the basic ones. That's good to know though.

In other news, while killing the designated loot pinata (white dragon in the mountains) I got my first >50k crit. The next two points definitely go into ice knife, 'cause damn.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    I'm finding the early zones in this to be really linear in design. Does the game and zone design open up more towards max level?

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    I'm finding the early zones in this to be really linear in design. Does the game and zone design open up more towards max level?

Zone design hasn't changed much at least up until 54. You're going to a quest hub, completing a couple of kill quests there, maybe an instance, and then going to the next hub. The scenery changes but the basic flow doesn't. The gameplay is satisfying enough that I don't really mind repeating it.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options

Zones get less linear, imo

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Honestly, since you can punch through a zone in ~2 hours or so, the linearity isn't bothering me. I'm about to go into the Chasm, and I expect that that plus the next zone (Rothé valley?) will have me to 60, give or take a dungeon run here and there. Levelling is the fastest I've ever experienced in this type of game.

Edit: I mean, all my navigation IS currently "follow the magic sparkly line" anyway

dporowski on
  • Options

Yep. They're all linear. Each zone does have a nice, D&D-flavored story line to it, so take the time to read your lore entries and you'll enjoy it a lot more.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    I downloaded this on XB1 the other night and my rogue is up to level 15 or so. Running around and stabbing things is pretty fun, but I'm finding the economy side of things really opaque and confusing and I'm not sure I can be bothered; I think I'm just going to stick with adventuring.

On that note, Xboners can add me and we can go dungeon some dragons.

If I'm not already on your friends list, ADD ME. I've got a lvl 20ish Hunter that needs friends. (I have a lvl 16 Cleric but she only gets played when my brother/cousin are on)

Let me just say that I love playing as a Hunter/Ranger. The ability to switch between melee and ranged is exactly what I wanted and there is just enough control/healing to make it the best jack-of-all-trades class. I think I might have to start making paragon choices. Which Paragon Path is best for a Hunter/Ranger who wants to stay able to do everything?
    Pretty sure you're on my list, so I'll shoot you an invite next time I see you on. My Rogue is level 38, and stabbing people is pretty fun.

I, uh ... don't know how to jump. I've just been using my dodge roll to get up places. How do I do that?

Also, where exactly is the bank? I kinda asumed that I was expected to carry everything on my back.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227