As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] The Ballot Box isn't even half empty.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    ronya wrote: »
    SNP in Westminster seems interesting to me - if they coalition with the Tories they'll be as savaged as Lib Dem has been, but the Tories want to devolve more fiscal autonomy than Labour does according to the released proposals

SNP would not form any type of formal coalition with the Tories. It would be political suicide for them.

50+ SNP MPs (which I do not think is likely) changes everything. It means "Screw your 'devolution' plans here's the demands from the people of Scotland you've got 2 years to implement it and you better hope your lot vote to stay in the EU"

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    it was political suicide for Lib Dem too, and they did it anyway

I think being obliged to actually use taxation powers would be generically suicidal for the SNP, simply because trying to balance their new and old support groups would be difficult. if you run off disenchantment of other parties, you had better keep the magic running for yourself

Salmond had unassailable 79 group credentials, but Sturgeon doesn't

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    The following is an actual quote from the actual Alex Salmond when he opened a Lidl store yesterday. Not the Angry Salmond tribute account but the actual Alex Salmond
    “This is my first supermarket opening. There were a number of reasons to open the store – staff have raised cash for good causes, I’m impressed by the new store and because Lidl isn’t Asda.

I think a person's reaction to this quote would sum up their reaction to Alex Salmond himself in a nutshell.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    It's quite entertaining to watch the leadership of both Labour and the Conservatives draw exactly the same lesson from the referendum: do everything possible to make sure the Scots vote yes next time.

Entertaining in the Blackadder Goes Forth sense, of course: I'll be utterly gutted if - or as it increasingly seems, when - an ancient union that has done many worthwhile things of which we should be extremely proud is broken up because of a bunch of clueless professionally political non-entities who seem to be physically incapable of perceiving how disconnected they are from us and how alienated we are from them.

My country, which survived Napoleon's empire, ended the African slave trade, transformed the world economically and politically, survived 2 world wars, stood alone against the fascist tide, dismantled the greatest empire in the history of the world as peacefully as could reasonably be expected, introduced a welfare state, free education and free healthcare despite being economically devastated... my country is being blindly taken to the breakers by a bunch of geese who wouldn't be able to keep a job as a call centre manager in the real world, because they simply can't imagine that they might be wrong about anything, that anything might be more important than they are, that the people don't think of them as any kind of leaders or even trust them to so much as successfully take a shit in a toilet without 6 special advisors to point their arses in the right direction.

So I feel that my "neither of them deserve a vote" position is vindicated.

As is my "Put the whole boiling of 'em into a skip and shoot it into the fucking sun. Yes, that means you too Farage, you disgusting blathering toad's anus." position.

V1m on
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    The following is an actual quote from the actual Alex Salmond when he opened a Lidl store yesterday. Not the Angry Salmond tribute account but the actual Alex Salmond
    “This is my first supermarket opening. There were a number of reasons to open the store – staff have raised cash for good causes, I’m impressed by the new store and because Lidl isn’t Asda.

I think a person's reaction to this quote would sum up their reaction to Alex Salmond himself in a nutshell.

And lo, though he had been banished to his northern realms by the salamander, the puffin, and the loon, our brave hero conquered the tyrant trump and set his sights firmly on the beastial walton empire as his next target.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    So more data from the YouGov poll ( the one that showed a lower SNP percentage)

http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/297966-scots-would-vote-yes-if-referendum-was-held-now-according-to-times-poll/

52% Yes if referendum held today. Apparently a "generation" is about 6 weeks.

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    V1m wrote: »
    It's quite entertaining to watch the leadership of both Labour and the Conservatives draw exactly the same lesson from the referendum: do everything possible to make sure the Scots vote yes next time.

Entertaining in the Blackadder Goes Forth sense, of course: I'll be utterly gutted if - or as it increasingly seems, when - an ancient union that has done many worthwhile things of which we should be extremely proud is broken up because of a bunch of clueless professionally political non-entities who seem to be physically incapable of perceiving how disconnected they are from us and how alienated we are from them.

My country, which survived Napoleon's empire, ended the African slave trade, transformed the world economically and politically, survived 2 world wars, stood alone against the fascist tide, dismantled the greatest empire in the history of the world as peacefully as could reasonably be expected, introduced a welfare state, free education and free healthcare despite being economically devastated... my country is being blindly taken to the breakers by a bunch of geese who wouldn't be able to keep a job as a call centre manager in the real world, because they simply can't imagine that they might be wrong about anything, that anything might be more important than they are, that the people don't think of them as any kind of leaders or even trust them to so much as successfully take a shit in a toilet without 6 special advisors to point their arses in the right direction.

As is my "Put the whole boiling of 'em into a skip and shoot it into the fucking sun. Yes, that means you too Farage, you disgusting blathering toad's anus." position.

Your country will still be there. It was the people who did the good things, and some of the bad. And the people will still be there.

And it's not as if our political leaders were wonders before. We may have been early in stopping slaving, but we were keen on doing it until then. We fought fascists... but some of us were fascists ourselves, and some still are.

I've never been proud of my nation. But the people are alright, mostly. And will continue to be no matter what happens.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Police cautions 'to be scrapped' in England and Wales?!
    Grayling sleepwalking into a police state it seems, where fines are the answer to everything.

To quote a comment on that article:
    The current system of official caution works, the caution goes on your record and any subsequent misdemeanors are looked at with the knowledge of previous behaviour in mind. This will lead to fine after fine for repeat offenders without the courts being involved. It might save some money, but will not tackle the behaviour.

• Options
    poshniallo wrote: »

Your country will still be there. It was the people who did the good things, and some of the bad. And the people will still be there.

And it's not as if our political leaders were wonders before. We may have been early in stopping slaving, but we were keen on doing it until then. We fought fascists... but some of us were fascists ourselves, and some still are.

I've never been proud of my nation. But the people are alright, mostly. And will continue to be no matter what happens.

That's like saying I shouldn't care if my parents get divorced because they're still my parents.

• Options
    poshniallo wrote: »

That's like saying I shouldn't care if my parents get divorced because they're still my parents.

My parents' divorce was the right choice for them and made both of them happier. Made me and my sister happier too.

And divorce is probably a terrible analogy, but if you're going to make it, are you an adult or a child in this mental picture? Because what you wrote is an adult reaction, and it sounds like you think the child's one is the appropriate one.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Posh that's ridiculous and I think it's be better for us all to move on.

Merkel has announced she would accept the UK leaving the EU if it meant migrat rules stayed in place.

Cameron is playing with fire and I really hope he's less magnifying glass over ants than his moon faced posh boy tableau leads me to believe he is.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Posh that's ridiculous and I think it's be better for us all to move on.

Merkel has announced she would accept the UK leaving the EU if it meant migrat rules stayed in place.

Cameron is playing with fire and I really hope he's less magnifying glass over ants than his moon faced posh boy tableau leads me to believe he is.

What exactly in my post is ridiculous? I would really like to know, rather than you declaring it so, clasping the last word greedily, and 'moving on'.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    Chancellor Angela Merkel would rather see the UK exit from the European Union than compromise over the principle of free movement of workers, according to the German magazine Der Spiegel.

Mrs Merkel is alleged to fear that the UK is approaching a "point of no return".

Downing Street would not comment on the reports.

Mr Cameron wants to renegotiate the terms of the UK's continued membership before holding an in-out referendum.

The prime minister said that freedom of movement would be "at the very heart of my renegotiation strategy for Europe", but Mrs Merkel is said by the magazine to have made clear she will withdraw her support for the UK's continued EU membership if he continues to push for migration reform.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29874392

I have a lot of problems with the way the EU works today, but I really really like the idea and want it to succeed. I also think that the EU and UK are better together than apart.

Thirdly, a UK exit from the EU would justify another independence referendum in my opinion. And maybe not just for Scotland.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    I want the EU together too, particularly because so much of the anti-EU rhetoric is just completely false.

But whatever happens, I'll be inordinately proud of political unions that are able to handle dissent and even dissolution peacefully. The norm for almost all of human history has been violence in these situations.

Hell, think of it as divorce becoming legal - a shallow reading looks at that as sad, when it's actually a sign of great social progress.

• Options
    I find the divorce metaphor overdone and not entirely useful.

Peaceful dissolution is obviously a good thing and a sign of a mature society. However, that doesn't make it not an imminently idiotic thing to do from a financial, social, and increasingly security point of view.

And in an age where there are people dying in Ukraine for their right to maybe, someday, join the European community I find it the insulting for people like Cameron and Farage to be playing so fast and loose with the UK's membership.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    I find the divorce metaphor overdone and not entirely useful.

Peaceful dissolution is obviously a good thing and a sign of a mature society. However, that doesn't make it not an imminently idiotic thing to do from a financial, social, and increasingly security point of view.

And in an age where there are people dying in Ukraine for their right to maybe, someday, join the European community I find it the insulting for people like Cameron and Farage to be playing so fast and loose with the UK's membership.

OK, good point. The divorce metaphor wasn't mine, though.

The rest of your post I completely agree with.

• Options
    Sorry, Posh, just a general commentary on the term. It bugged me during the Scottish referendum too.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    Since stories are cropping up about discontent among labour MP's about Ed Milliband, I thought I'd ask what you guys make of him?

As someone who would vote Labour if I could, I can't help but feel a bit disappointed in Ed. I had no real issues with how he was elected, or his general capability, it's just that he's failed to make any real impact or have much of a presence. I can't remember many of his policies at all. I can't really put my finger on what it is about him either, it just seems that he isn't really leading with a strong positive and realistic message.

Still, would be a damned shame if Labour lost to the tories again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29946827

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Labour won't lose to the Tories, the Tories didn't even win out of the paltry 30-odd% that votes. But the vote that resulted in Ed winning was either rigged or genuinely a case of mistaken identity. The man doesn't have the appearance or personality to lead a country and could only hope to achieve that position purely through the anti-voting of Tories and Lib Dems. He's a complete non-entity. What does he stand for? A leader should have made this clear by now, he should have strong beliefs and instead he's busy doing stupid things with pasties and giving coppers to the homeless.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    altid wrote: »
    Since stories are cropping up about discontent among labour MP's about Ed Milliband, I thought I'd ask what you guys make of him?

He's an over-privileged, utterly disconnected spineless worm with no redeeming features. I challenge anyone to make a substantiative difference between him and David Cameron or to convince me that they could both swap jobs and names tomorrow and anyone would even notice.

V1m on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I've been really worried that Ed will Kinnock it next year.

• Options
    Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    I don't mind Ed so much. He doesn't seem like a dick, which is about enough for me. Really though I wish there was more confidence in him, cause even though I'm no die hard Labour person, I'd like to see them win the GE more comfortably than they will (if they do). Ultimately he's a wonk, but there are worse things to be; I'll settle.

2LmjIWB.png
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    You can level many critisims at Ed Milliband but being indistinguishable from David Cameron is not one of them. That is assuming you've been paying the slightest bit of attention and haven't just decided to throw your hands up and declare "they're all the same" in a fit of cynicism.

He's without a doubt the most left wing leader labour have had since Kinnock. His main catch phrase is "cost of living crisis" which is shorthand for we need to start redistributing some wealth before a loaf of bread is only within the reach of millionaires. He is arguably the only one doing this while the Tories are trying to hide impish grins while cutting everything up to and including tax on big business in the name of "austerity". Meanwhile the lib dems have forgotten they will cease to be a political entity for a generation after the next election and are trying to act like the sensible middle ground.

Ed lacks the charisma and statesman like image to be a national leader but then so does Cameron so nothing lost there. We haven't had a charismatic statesman in charge since Tony Blair and look how that worked out.

• Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    I'm writing this as a drunk man on a bus, so infer what you will. My opinion of Ed is a 'leftie' who is far more interested in making a right wing.point for 'middle England' rather than truly standing for either the working class or the left

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Ed seems fine to me. But then he reminds me of people I know. I also didn't get fully why people apparently hates the NZ Labour leader who just lost an election so my judgement is off perhaps.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    So I'll post the BBC link when I get off mobile later, but George Osbourbe has emerged from his EU chrysalis with a solution to the EU payment that rivals the wisdom of Zeus himself.

They'll pay in two sections over 2015, adding up to 76something million pounds and the EU will apply 2016's rebate to cover the additional billion quid.

Georgie is claiming he's halved the bill, but to my mind he's haut signed up for an extended installment plan.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    altid wrote: »

He's an over-privileged, utterly disconnected spineless worm with no redeeming features. I challenge anyone to make a substantiative difference between him and David Cameron or to convince me that they could both swap jobs and names tomorrow and anyone would even notice.

he has vastly more core convictions than david cameron relating to his politics because his father was a pretty dedicated marxist

hes pretty ideological

if he was standard slimy new labour type like blair he wouldnt be having anywhere near the difficulty he is

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Casual wrote: »
    You can level many critisims at Ed Milliband but being indistinguishable from David Cameron is not one of them. That is assuming you've been paying the slightest bit of attention and haven't just decided to throw your hands up and declare "they're all the same" in a fit of cynicism.

He's without a doubt the most left wing leader labour have had since Kinnock. His main catch phrase is "cost of living crisis" which is shorthand for we need to start redistributing some wealth before a loaf of bread is only within the reach of millionaires. He is arguably the only one doing this while the Tories are trying to hide impish grins while cutting everything up to and including tax on big business in the name of "austerity". Meanwhile the lib dems have forgotten they will cease to be a political entity for a generation after the next election and are trying to act like the sensible middle ground.

Ed lacks the charisma and statesman like image to be a national leader but then so does Cameron so nothing lost there. We haven't had a charismatic statesman in charge since Tony Blair and look how that worked out.

Sometimes I like to imagine what would have happened if Gordon Brown had called an election in 2007.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    So I'll post the BBC link when I get off mobile later, but George Osbourbe has emerged from his EU chrysalis with a solution to the EU payment that rivals the wisdom of Zeus himself.

They'll pay in two sections over 2015, adding up to 76something million pounds and the EU will apply 2016's rebate to cover the additional billion quid.

Georgie is claiming he's halved the bill, but to my mind he's haut signed up for an extended installment plan.

We will also be handing back that rebate so we will be paying the full amount.

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    edited November 2014

We will also be handing back that rebate so we will be paying the full amount.

Yeah I know. Such load of bullshit coming out of the government over this thing.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

He's done neither. He doubled the bill by intentionally not factoring in the UK rebate then claimed to have gotten a 50% discount.

Basically he set up a straw man and expecting a pat on the back for knocking it down. Meanwhile while he's setting up his "I fought the EU and won" victory parade the rest of the European finance ministers are scratching their heads and reporting that the matter of the UK bill didn't even come up in discussion and the matter of the UK rebate was never in doubt as it was confirmed weeks ago in October.

Basically the Tories are once again assuming we are incredible idiots who they can throw a fish to and we will slap our fins together in delight.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    So: Milliband

What the shit?

As far as I can tell there appears to be a cabal within Labour set on toppling him and replacing him with Alan Johnson, who has explicitly and repeatedly said he doesn't want to be party leader

• Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

What the shit?

As far as I can tell there appears to be a cabal within Labour set on toppling him and replacing him with Alan Johnson, who has explicitly and repeatedly said he doesn't want to be party leader

Because a man who couldn't hack it as Shadow Chancellor is obviously the man fit to lead the country.

• Options
    Poor Ed.

At least he seems to actually give a shit about people.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »

What the shit?

there is mad discontent internally in the labour camp

milliband has been not consulting the shadow cabinet about stuff and making random policy pronouncements etc

there is much salt

thus standard labour factionalistic bullshit inc

whereas the conservatives are just sitting there trying to work out if they should either piss off the ukip tories by pivoting away from ukip or make themselves ukip lite and not really justify the difference while pissing off the more centrist old cons

its a gloriously impossible choice and i am getting a boner at their discomfort

meanwhile the lib dems sit there sadly with what few things theyve done being completely ignored as their party vanishes into oblivion

next election gonna be real funny

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Feels like a really bad time for a coup. Wouldn't that rob Labour of any pre-electoral momentum they might have?

• Options
    Feels like a really bad time for a coup. Wouldn't that rob Labour of any pre-electoral momentum they might have?

Well Labour did just hire a couple American Democratic Party strategists.

So at leasts it's consistent.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

Well Labour did just hire a couple American Democratic Party strategists.

So at leasts it's consistent.

I figured Nixon would have taught them that a mid-stream or near-term leadership change can be really damaging.

This is being pretty reductive and dishonest, but it's mainly for lulz. :P

This discussion has been closed.