As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CHAT]ow the Hedgehog. Please crit my OC?

• Options
    franciumfrancium Registered User regular
    Is tracing actually good to practice cartooning?

• Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    I would say copying a piece has a lot more educational value than tracing. At least with copying, you sort of have to understand how the original artist works. Tracing tends to be a purely mechanical process.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Not really, Maybe if you did it with some higher intent you could get Something out of it, but I doubt it would be truly useful. Doing the mental strains required to accurately copy something without tracing it is what boosts your skills.

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Hey if it worked for Ralph Bakshi, it should work for everyone, right?

• Options
    im gonna try some hyperrealistic pencil drawing instead. plenty of time for cartoons later.

• Options
    KallistiKallisti Registered User regular
    Oh my god Katie's work is amaze-balls, seriously solid, go animation peoples!

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Just watched an episode of Game of Thrones, ended up being super angry afterwards.
    Then I watched the next, ended up being happy. I swear, Game of Thrones is making me bipolar. This shit isn't healthy man.
    edit: and yea, Katie is doubleplusgood. Definitely who I'm rooting for.

m3nace on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    AAAAAAAAH one of my 38 Studios coworker's games is on the front page of PA! Looks like they did a Penny Arcade Report on it. It's been getting a lot more attention lately - really exciting!

It's Tower of Guns...the guy who made it - Joe - is an art/tech genius, and an all-around great dude. He made the game completely by himself. Go check it out and support him! :D (you can pre-order it for $5!)

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Looks pretty neat!

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Five bucks seems really low for what sounds like a really cool concept. I'll probably give it a shot.

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    It's Sunday here already, so Happy Father's day to all you fathers.

• Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Nevermind

ninjai on
  • Options
    bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    Pretty cool, I just earned my 8th year here badge.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    That means you should be up for it soon too MT since I remember us starting here together. Grats in advance.
    Oh, and happy fathers day back atcha.

bebarce on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    June 16th, 2013

Dear Diary-

Welp, today I finally found out why kneeling, rather than merely bending down from a standing position, is the preferred posture when vomiting.

Blowing flecks of pepperoni out my nose certainly is an experience I've not had before.

Happy Father's Day!

-AoB

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular

D:

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I've got a seinfeldesque streak for vomiting going on. have not vomited since the 90s

• Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    So we're talking about vomit now?

I just have a really bad gag reflex. I used to have quite the stomach for bad smells and such, but now I smell a trash can from 100 feet away and I feel sick.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    if anyone else likes alcoholic apple juice
    Angry Orchard's Apple Ginger is delicious

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    My roomate buys that stuff all the time! (It is very delicious)

• Options
    bebarce wrote: »
    That means you should be up for it soon too MT since I remember us starting here together. Grats in advance.
    Oh, and happy fathers day back atcha.

I just got my 8 year badge too! Have I really been coming here for 8 years?

I could have done two B.A.s in that time... or one really long B.A.... or started a B.A., dropped out, then started over again only to be frustrated by how young everyone is.

• Options
    ChromatomicChromatomic Mr. DCRegistered User regular
    Then you adopt them under your wing and show them how to truly value their college experience by winning the class cup in a series of challenges!

• Options
    I'm going to write a bad screenplay about being older and in college. I'll make sure it stars Leonardo decaprio.

• Options
    Even the cheer leader?

• Options
    You can wait for your 20 year badge at which you have been able to return to college to help your Daughter conquer her fears, throw multiple radical parties and pull off a Triple Lindy.

• Options
    brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    My wife just posted this to Facebook due to my daughters ever expanding musical taste, she is pretty awesome:

999247_10151740946964734_97287594_n.jpg

brokecracker on
  • Options
    I'm really going to have to start downloading the clean versions of the songs I like if I'm going to get my kids to enjoy quality music. Until they reach that nebulous age in which I determine they can handle hearing the word "fucking awesome" without being scandalized. 5 is definitely not that age btw.

• Options
    AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    What about wordless music like jazz, classical? I loved watching Fantasia as a kid.

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    francium wrote: »
    im gonna try some hyperrealistic pencil drawing instead. plenty of time for cartoons later.

You might want to google Charles Bargue and the sight size method of drawing. There's a lot of great educational information out there for learning to draw "hyper-real"

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Avraham wrote: »
    What about wordless music like jazz, classical? I loved watching Fantasia as a kid.

well....

Fantasia-Night-on-Bald-Mountain.png
    still gives me the creepy chills

bebarce on
  • Options
    AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Night on Bald Mountain is one of the scariest things you'll ever see that doesn't involve violent combat, blood, or physical destruction

scared the daylights out of me at age 5(?)

Avraham on
    :bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • Options
    Avraham wrote: »
    Night on Bald Mountain is one of the scariest things you'll ever see that doesn't involve violent combat, blood, or physical destruction

scared the daylights out of me at age 5(?)

Yeah I mean on the whole my kids are pretty awesome, but if my kid can't handle Gargamel from the Smurfs movie, I doubt she'll be able to handle a mountain sized demon wraith that plays with the souls of the dead each night.

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    It is your duty to acculturate your kids and pass on the traditional unintentional childhood nightmare fuel.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Man, I'm sad. When I deleted my old Facebook account I forgot to tell a really good internet friend of mine from Peru that I was gonna be switching. When I went back to find her and send a request its like she doesn't exist anymore. I found her on twitter but it looks like she never uses it and its private.

We've never actually met and we probably never would've. Now that I can't find her, I dunno. Its weird.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    this went dark places
    Scosglen wrote: »
    It is your duty to acculturate your kids and pass on the traditional unintentional childhood nightmare fuel.
    still have terrifying nightmares about the Skeksis from Dark Crystal.
    Thanks for letting me watch that when I was like, four, parents

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    This is really cool: Brad Muir and Mark Hamer from Double Fine talk through the design process behind the concept art of Massive Chalice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q1NWrfLiLM

• Options
    14:54 is totally Atlantis: the Lost Empire

• Options
    So, I'm the new Art Director for the weekly magazine at work. Fantastic!

• Options
    this went dark places
    Scosglen wrote: »
    still have terrifying nightmares about the Skeksis from Dark Crystal.
    Thanks for letting me watch that when I was like, four, parents

As a kid for me it was "The Gate" but if we're talking things that were intended for children, then definitely the "Hand Face" scene from Labyrinth. As an adult my fear stems from Bowies boy bulge.
    crotch-gif.gif

• Options
    edited June 2013
    My nightmares stemmed from Little Nemo in Slumberland. Not sure why they made a kid's movie that terrifying.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pGAt0GQ703U#t=327s

edit: damnit, timestamps don't work? Anyway, start from 05:24

m3nace on
This discussion has been closed.