As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Calling it now, River Song is Mrs. Claus

ButlerButler 89 episodes or bustRegistered User regular
edited November 2014 in Social Entropy++
Welcome, welcome all to the new Doctor Who Thread! Marvel at its low page count! Gasp at the endless posting possibilities! Become exasperated with the florid prose of the OP! Check out my sweet new hat!

PeterDavison460.jpg

Doctor Who is the longest running science fiction show of all time, celebrating its 50th anniversary this Year Of Some People's Lord 2013. I will leave the explanation of the show's premise to the superior hive mind known as Wikipedia:
The programme depicts the adventures of a Time Lord—a time travelling, humanoid alien known as the Doctor. He explores the universe in his 'TARDIS', a sentient time-travelling space ship. Its exterior appears as a blue British police box, a common sight in Britain in 1963, when the series first aired. Along with a succession of companions, the Doctor faces a variety of foes while working to save civilisations, help ordinary people, and right wrongs.

DW recently wrapped up its seventh post-reboot season with a cliffhanger ending so cracking that I won't dare spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it. The eighth season doesn't start until next year, but for now we have the 50th Anniversary Special in November and the Christmas Special to look forward to.

And now, here's me with the news.

- Matt Smith, the eleventh actor to play the role of The Doctor, has announced he will be leaving the show - and thus regenerating - in the Christmas Special. Smith had this to say about his departure from the show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61nyEjH8Xik

- At least one previous Doctor (David Tennant, the Tenth) has been confirmed for the 50AS. Surprisingly, Tennant and Smith got on famously on set. I can't imagine what they could have had to talk about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Em8lmmTNkA

- In the past few days we have been intrigued, elated, and crushed (in that order) by the rise and fall of a rumour that a staggering 90 of the 106 lost episodes had been recovered and were safely resting in a shipping container. At this point it looks pretty much debunked, though some are arguing that the BBC is trying to keep their possession of the tapes under wraps until they can announce it officially for the 50th anniversary. Believe what you will, but caveat emptor.

- The Regenerations Boxset, consisting of all regeneration episodes/stories from the entire run of DW to date, is set to be released on June 24th. I didn't like the idea of this boxset when I first heard it, since regeneration episodes lose a lot of their impact when watched in isolation from the rest of the show. But I have to admit that as a physical object it looks really cool, plus there's a lot of extra material in there beyond the episodes themselves. Not sure if want.

- A quick quote from the Regenerations Boxset article I linked:
This Regeneration set is only one of a number of Who projects we've been working on for the 50th - but I'm sworn to secrecy... for now!

Hmm. Hmmmmmmm.

Butler on

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Oh hold the fucking phone.

From that Tennant/Smith video:
    TENNANT: The show has a particular place in people's affections. So when you're, kind of, the face of it... it's an unusual set of pressures that brings. Eighty-nine percent of which are wonderful, lovely, positive things.

SMITH: Eighty-nine?

TENNANT: Eighty-nine percent.

SMITH: (Laughing) That's a very specific amount!

TENNANT: Yeah! Yeah.

That is a very specific amount, Mr. Tennant.
    a rumour that a staggering 90 of the 106 lost episodes had been recovered

Very specific indeed.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Look, it'd be nice, but let's leave our hopes on low for the moment. Lifting them and smashing them too often isn't good for anyone.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    :^: It is a fine hat..

Here I was going to give it another hour.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Geth, set hat to "tin foil".

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    For those that haven't seen Dr. Who, I actually started watching it because of Craig Ferguson.

A couple of years ago he did a Dr. Who special. The day before the special he started with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfCaxb2yB60

Then the next day was the special.

Then of course, there was the song and dance he prepared that he wasn't able to air that night (though I think he did get to like a year later or something):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9P4SxtphJ4

All the seasons since they restarted in 2005 are currently on Netflix as far as I know.

• Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    i like peter davidson

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »

TENNANT: The show has a particular place in people's affections. So when you're, kind of, the face of it... it's an unusual set of pressures that brings. Eighty-nine percent of which are wonderful, lovely, positive things.

Very specific indeed.

Butler stop
    You need to quit Da Vinci Coding this
    Give up this poisonous dream

• Options
    WAIT WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO MATT'S HAIR

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I don't know if you noticed but it got in his eyes a lot

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    although really I guess it was just that one fucking strand

• Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    hey check out that gnarly scar on his head too

he looks good bald actually, he has the head for it

• Options
    Nuzak wrote: »
    hey check out that gnarly scar on his head too

he looks good bald actually, he has the head for it

I've got one of those, it's just the place where the hair parts
    Though his may be a badass scar, what do I know

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Butler isn't as good as he used to be. I think we should get him to un-regenerate. The mad guy with teeth and curls was way better.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    WAIT WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO MATT'S HAIR

He's in Detroit. He had to cut it off to use as currency in their terrifying post-apocalyptic society.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I really wish they would get some new episodes on netflix.

• Options
    I know list articles are usually just click-bait, but this one is pretty interesting:

10 What-Ifs That Could Have Changed The Course Of Doctor Who

Makes you wonder what kind of Doctor Who, if any, people are watching in parallel universes.

• Options
    Maybe one with 90 more episodes because they sure don't exist in this universe

• Options
    :-[

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Valeyard question:

Is the Valeyard a form of the Doctor (sort of a 12.5) that will then die and regenerate into 13, or is he a separate being that somehow splits off from the Doctor during the regeneration from 12 to 13?

If it's the latter, I'd totally be down with James Nesbitt playing both 13 and the Valeyard since we're probably not getting another season of Jekyll.

Lars on
  • Options
    If I recall, he was a potential future version, either the 12th or 13th, who stopped calling himself the Doctor and took on the title of Valeyard

• Options
    edited June 2013
    He's said to be somewhere between the Doctor's twelfth and final incarnations. It's not exactly specified how or why, but it's generally thought he split off during the twelfth regeneration and was given a kind of temporary existence by the High Council. His whole thing was to get the Doctor executed because he was promised the Doctor's remaining lives, ending up in a kind of "I'm a real boy now" scenario.

Edit: The original intention, though, was for him to be the very last Doctor, corrupt and evil because of what he'd seen and what he'd done.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    OmnibusOmnibus Registered User regular
    Yeah, I always figured that he was a sort of evil variant of the Watcher. Time Lords can, for some reason, sometimes "project" semi-independent parts of themselves to do stuff. The Valeyard might have gotten out from under the Doctor's control or something.

• Options
    I thought he was from a possible future that the Time Lords sort of extracted and brought to the "present" of the show at the time

I don't think he like, split off from the Doctor and then there were two of them standing there

• Options
    One thing I forgot to comment on re: the end of Season 7:
    River points out that she is still visible to The Doctor despite Clara, who she was kind of using as a human VPN to the real world, having walked into his time-scar. My guess here is that there are fragments of Clara we haven't met yet and she was routing herself through one of them.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Butler wrote: »

Very specific indeed.

If I can get my hands on more Troughton adventures or even believe I will, then I'm willing to go down this crazy rabbit hole with you.

We can make the Doctor Who equivalent of Masonic conspiracy videos, and it will be glorious.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Actually the Doctor Who equivalent of Masonic conspiracy videos would just be us talking about Omega or the Valeyard wouldn't it?

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I thought he was from a possible future that the Time Lords sort of extracted and brought to the "present" of the show at the time

I don't think he like, split off from the Doctor and then there were two of them standing there

It's not explicitly stated how it happened, just that he's... Oh, screw it, let me find the quote. I'm bound to get it wrong.

Ahem.
    The Master wrote:
    There is some evil in all of us, Doctor – even you. The Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say you do not improve with age.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I love how the Master throws an insult into that exposition

"So here's what's going on oh and by the way in case you've forgotten fuck you"

• Options
    The Master in Trial of a Time Lord was fantastic. Just appearing on the Matrix screen, being all U MAD TIEM LORDS

Definitely one of my favourite appearances of the Ainley Master.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    I also love the "Even you".

When, you know, the Doctor's a good guy, but he's been ALL KINDS of dickish over his career. It isn't exactly finding a collection of snuff films being found in Mr. Roger's basement in terms of contrast, what I'm saying here.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    You know. Trial of the Timelord isn't great, but it's not nearly as bad as history treats it. And it's got some really brilliant moments within it.

And man, it's some great Anthony Ainley as the Master.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    So this is a thing I'm kind of ridiculously tempted to buy.
    Following the huge popularity of the Eleventh Doctor range, The Wand Company have created an authentic Tenth Doctor Sonic Screwdriver Remote Control.

Painstakingly 3D scanned from the original screen-used prop, kindly loaned to The Wand Company by David Tennant himself, this Tenth Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver is a faithful clone, CNC machined from aluminium, crammed full of technology and is a fully functioning gesture-based universal remote control that looks, feels and works just like the real prop – utilising sound effects from the BBC archives.

• Options
    So I finished a huge project this morning, and by celebrating I kinda screwed around drawing random stuff. And somehow I ended up trying to make an old Target Books Doctor Who cover. I thought you guys might dig it

5c787da4-97c1-4d45-a733-ac1ccae8fdf7_zps5f56665f.jpg

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    So yeah I finally watched the finale.
    Are we finally going to get the Time War story that I have always wanted?

• Options
    Browsing around the internet, I'm always a little surprised when the Ninth Doctor is referred to as "the grumpy one" or "too serious" or fan art group shots have him scowling in the back or whatever.

Yeah, he wore black, but he was smiling like...all the time. A huge smile, at that.

Heck, the "Everyone lives!" scene probably has the Doctor more ecstatic than any other scene since. He was also a total fanboy around Charles Dickens and was basically always cracking jokes when Mickey or Rose's mom was around. He's even excited and smiling during his most dire circumstances (the "Doesn't that scare you to death?" speech).
    He was even smiling and positive during his regeneration.

Fantastic.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    So I finished a huge project this morning, and by celebrating I kinda screwed around drawing random stuff. And somehow I ended up trying to make an old Target Books Doctor Who cover. I thought you guys might dig it

5c787da4-97c1-4d45-a733-ac1ccae8fdf7_zps5f56665f.jpg

Norton claims there is a trojan hiding in this link. Mind rehosting it?

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Doctor who and the large wooden horse

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    dspimonidspimoni Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Browsing around the internet, I'm always a little surprised when the Ninth Doctor is referred to as "the grumpy one" or "too serious" or fan art group shots have him scowling in the back or whatever.

Yeah, he wore black, but he was smiling like...all the time. A huge smile, at that.

Heck, the "Everyone lives!" scene probably has the Doctor more ecstatic than any other scene since. He was also a total fanboy around Charles Dickens and was basically always cracking jokes when Mickey or Rose's mom was around. He's even excited and smiling during his most dire circumstances (the "Doesn't that scare you to death?" speech).
    He was even smiling and positive during his regeneration.

Fantastic.

Dr. 9 was not so much grumpy as incredibly moody. I still remember how he turned into a crazy man when he saw the Dalek in "Dalek". He has a much wider range of highs and lows. Honestly, I prefer that to incarnations that hardly seem fazed by anything.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Eccleston will be vindicated by history, I think

• Options
    Sometimes I forget that there's a whole world of dramatic readings and fanfics out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuOK7X3HYeI

This discussion has been closed.