Options

[Hesher] The Unbearable Filth of the Soul

• Options
    TerribleMisathropeTerribleMisathrope 23rd Degree Intiate At The Right Hand Of The Seven HornsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Absurðr wrote: »
    Also, Mayhem as in black metal Mayhem, with Hatebreed??? ...
    I believe so, @Absurðr. However, this was beginning of Winter 1997 and I admit that I'm not at all certain. I can assure you it was sXe hardcore band and trve, grim BM band. Either way, the crowd was pretty much an even split of huge/weird Heshers and crazy crew-bros.

EDIT: Wrong. I'm like 99.9% sure that it was a Misfits & Sick Of It All & H2O show, in reality. That actually makes waaaaaay more sense and is an actual show that I have found internet records of actually happening in November of 1997, unlike my (imagined) Mayhem/Hatebreed show. I do remember now that some of my Milwaukee friends were at a Mayhem show earlier that year (severed cow's head was mentioned, I believe), and I recall that I was kinda into the first Hatebreed release that came out that year. However, I was way more into Sick Of It All (I was even more into Black Flag, The Exploited and G.B.H.) which would have been the primary reason I was at that show to begin with.

Edit:
    Yep: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/rotting-christ-mainman-feels-sorry-for-megadeth-s-dave-mustaine/
    That's hilarious!
    Everything 8.5 or higher is worth the money, 8.0 and up if you're already a fan of the style/artist :) Between 7-8 usually means something is decent or good but I wouldn't go out of my way for it. I just felt this was the most accurate way of ranking things, that there was a lot of stuff worth hearing or successful at what it set out to do, but not necessarily memorable or exemplary.

Buying everything 7.0 or higher would be expensive indeed!!! But again, the text is always more important than the score. I've had lots of people tell me that they seem to love albums I review around 6.5-7.0 and use the reviews for that reason...which is perfectly A.O.K. I've never met two metalheads that agree on everything, and I'm honored that people give something I write the time of day, even if their tastes do not align with my own. It's all for the love of the metals.
    This is why I'll never get caught up with FtDR ... :# It is very expensive trying to keep up, but less so in digital format which, given the dirth of good CD shops anywhere near me, is pretty much how I get all my music.

I usually spring for as low as 7's because you and I rarely have the exact same rating and so I've come across too many gems at 7's to ignore! The exception being the disappointments from bands I really like that still rank 7's.

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I generally scan sales at distros and Amazon, and then every other month I put in orders for the new stuff I loved.

I can't fuckin' believe we're getting a Septic Flesh AND Vader soon...also a new Impaled Nazarene, Mekong Delta, Holy Moses, among others.

autothrall on
  • Options
    TerribleMisathropeTerribleMisathrope 23rd Degree Intiate At The Right Hand Of The Seven HornsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I wish I could both awesome and agree on so many posts!! Those are not mutually exclusive conditions!

Edit: Can I get some tech thrash/prog thrash recommendations, please ... seriously ... anyone!! I have the following:
    Deathrow - Deception Ignored
    Watchtower - Control And Resistance
    Coroner - R.I.P., Punishment For Decadence, No More Color, Mental Vortex
    Artillery - Fear of Tomorrow, Terror Squad, By Inheritance, B.A.C.K., When Death Comes
    Toxik - Think This
    Realm - Endless War, Suiciety
    Terrahsphere - Third in Order of the Sun
    Obliveon - From This Day Forward, Nemesis, Cybervoid, Carnivore Mothermouth
    Mekong Delta - Lurking Fear, The Music Of Erich Zann, Wanderer On The Edge Of Time (yes, I'm working on getting the '87 s/t, and The Principle of Doubt
    Vektor - Demolition, Black Future, Outer Isolation

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    i have determined that whenever my day starts with ceremonial castings, everything is going to be awesome

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    So I've definitely read some peoples dislike of new Mastodon here. Well their latest track is about as "new" as any they're made so far.

Interesting how vastly different their song writing is now.

Campy on
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    The Hunter album itself in a vacuum was pretty crappy... It sounded much better though when I heard them play it live. Not sure what I think about this new track yet. Overall though I kinda burnt myself out on Mastodon personally.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    So I've definitely read some peoples dislike of new Mastodon here. Well their latest track is about as "new" as any they're made so far.

Interesting how vastly different their song writing is now.

The chugging riff at the intro sounds a bit like something off Leviathan, but I find myself disliking the vocal performances more and more as they grow as a band. And, that chorus... yeesh... awful.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That new Mastodon tune is alright, they seem to be driving the chorus parts into more radio friendly territory, at least on this one. More amusing are the comments on the SoundCloud posting. 'This part has a real black metal feel?' WTF? No, no it doesn't.

• Options
    NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    So it took me a few listens, but I'm really loving The Satanist, I dunno why I couldn't get behind it before, but there are days lately where I can't go without listening to it. It's right up there with Xanthochroid'sIncultus for being one of the greater albums of the past few years.

Heard the new track Titan, I think it's called, by Septicflesh my ears are still recoiling from the pure pleasure.

Also Back from Beyond by Massacre is pretty great also, They have a music video for their song Back from Beyond which I kind of stumbled on, i'd link it if it hasn't been already, but i'm at work. I like the aggressive feeling of the album so far.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    New Mastodon track - meh

Vocals channel the Melvin's in the verse and straightforward 80's hardrock on the chorus. Nothing too impressive there. I dunno, to my ears, it appears to be a very recycled, simplified version of what they used to do, maybe trying to (badly) increase their radio friendliness and cash in a bit. I don't find it heavy at all and to me it is devoid of any unique riffing or even catchy hooks. I'm already more bored than I was with Crack the Skye.

Count me out, but I'm already not a huge fan.

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    I really disliked the new Massacre album, but already covered that in a review. I felt it was incredibly lazy and derivative, also a little monotonous (though I was never a fan even on their 'classic' album).

I'm also still enjoying The Satanist!

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    That new Mastodon track is aight, but for me they're not a singles band. I'll listen to it in the context of the album and judge it again then.

New Primodial on the way later this year.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    The Satanist is the best DM album Behemoth has put out for sure. "Ora Pro Nobis Lucifer" has killer riffing and drumming. I wish all of their songs managed to be this driving and intense. All of their previous albums have individual songs or moments in songs that I can point to and say "that was awesome," but this is the first album that I listen to straight through and appreciate the holistic view.

Edit: Also, the vocals when Nergal is all like "this universe has never been enough" on "The Satanist" are so awesome.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    autothrall wrote: »
    That new Mastodon tune is alright, they seem to be driving the chorus parts into more radio friendly territory, at least on this one. More amusing are the comments on the SoundCloud posting. 'This part has a real black metal feel?' WTF? No, no it doesn't.

I blame SUN BAT HER.

• Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    Am I alone in my mild dislike for FFDP? I don't rabidly hate them, but I think the vocals are a bit played out. Oddly I didn't hate Volbeat at first, but they seem to be taking the same track now vocally. I dunno. Maybe I'm just old now.

• Options
    No, Five Finger Death Punch is terrible.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    At the risk of coming off "rabid" - if the vocals were the only flaw they might be capable of redemption. Five Finger Death Punch fucking sucks on nearly every level, in basically the same way as Avenged Sevenfold, Kill Switch Engage, and Trivium, or Nu-Metal/Bro-Metal. Their music is soulless clone shit, dumbed down for mass consumption. Their unoriginal, unconvincingly executed crap just sucks down dollars that should go to better bands. Literally the only possible upside is if they happen to inspire one to check out metal bands that are actually good.

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    At the risk of coming off "rabid" - if the vocals were the only flaw they might be capable of redemption. Five Finger Death Punch fucking sucks on nearly every level, in basically the same way as Avenged Sevenfold, Kill Switch Engage, and Trivium, or Nu-Metal/Bro-Metal. Their music is soulless clone shit, dumbed down for mass consumption. Their unoriginal, unconvincingly executed crap just sucks down dollars that should go to better bands. Literally the only possible upside is if they happen to inspire one to check out metal bands that are actually good.

Let's not forget Hatebreed!

(I realise they're covered by the description, but I really dislike them.)

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    SNIP...

Need to listen to more of these guys. I have only have the one album of their's, but I absolutely love it.

• Options
    Campy wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    SNIP...

Need to listen to more of these guys. I have only have the one album of their's, but I absolutely love it.

They're one of my favourite live acts, and their live album is great. I really like how it gives a few older songs (Fuil Arsa and Gallows Hymn) a bit of added venom.

All the places that we've been
    Through all the years
    All our kin
    Who feel and think like we do
    HEATHEN TRIBES

• Options
    edited April 2014
    I decided to check out the other Deathrow albums in a blind attemptt o satisfy my Technical Thrash hankering. Upon first listen, I'm pretty damn happy I finally gave them a go. Not far off the quality of Coroner and superior to most of Artillery's releases, except By Inheritance. A little sloppy in spots, a little derivative and goofy early on, and very 80's "bright" production (which is to be expected), but high quality Thrash nonetheless.

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Five Finger Death Punch just fucking sucks. It's an indisputable fact, opinions don't even factor into the discussion. It's shit music for when 'Army of One' commercials stop sending Godsmack a paycheck.

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I decided to check out the other Deathrow albums in a blind attemptt o satisfy my Technical Thrash hankering. Upon first listen, I'm pretty damn happy I finally gave them a go. Not far off the quality of Coroner and superior to most of Artillery's releases, except By Inheritance. A little sloppy in spots, a little derivative and goofy early on, and very 80's "bright" production (which is to be expected), but high quality Thrash nonetheless.

I actually think the first two Artillery releases are catchier than the old Deathrow discs, which are not technical and brilliant like Deception Ignored but nonetheless have that rough Teutonic charisma I so loved from the period. The worst Deathrow is the fourth and final album, not that it's particularly bad, but a staggering disappointment. But what WOULDN'T be a disappointment after Deception Ignored? I could double fist bottles of absinthe while being massaged by angels and it would be disappointing after that.

Also @TerribleMisathrope there is unfortunately not a wide variety of tech thrash.

Try Skeptic from Poland, a tech death/thrash hybrid. Or Theory in Practice, who are even more intense.
    Aspid from Russia.
    The first few Psychotic Waltz or Sieges Even albums, not quite so 'thrash' but a little bit.
    Also try the Spiral Architect album, it's essentially Watchtower 2.0 from Scandinavian all-stars.

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I will check that all out for sure, @autothrall. Thanks!

I agree: Life Beyond does not live up to Deception Ignored, but the step down from No Color to Mental Vortex was pretty big as well. Expectations matter a great deal in assessing any given experience, therefore I'm probably enjoying Life Beyond a good deal more than you because it is far better than I was anticipating, which is probably the opposite of how you encountered it.

Agreed, the first two Deathrow albums are Teutonic thrash cut from a mold we both love. While I didn't call it out explicitly, when I said "better than most", I was mentally assigning Artillery prior to By Inheritance rough equivalency to early Deathrow. However, Coroner prior to No Color is clearly the best back catalog of any Technical Thrash entity, at least in R.I.P., and Punishment For Decadence. If nothing else, those two incredible albums can actually lay claim to being brilliant Technical Thrash, but it is a stretch to call early Artillery or Deathrow such, though both of them have plenty of upside anyway as Thrash albums.

Oh hey, I was on MA and I found out that Coroner reformed and began touring again in 2010, riding a huge wave of popularity vastly eclipsing what they experienced before disbanding due to their cult status (thank you Internet). Who knows, maybe they'll find it in themselves to produce another great album or two at some point, although if they can't make a filler-free, brilliant album they should absolutely leave their incredible legacy intact and just tour their classics.

Edit: On a completely different topic (and this is not just for auto): I recently discovered a pretty good album of new Heavy/Speed Metal of the Occult variety. MA has their genre completely wrong, but check out Black Magic's debut: Wizard's Spell. Got the Satanic theme, along with pretty good riffs. The production is very appropriate and gives one the sense that Wizard's Spell is an 80's release that is only now seeing the light of day, yet this is a 2014 release. Here's a YouTube Playlist of the album: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?feature=c4-feed-u&list=PLOKMpbyL5AcvG-TGlCbj-z7DB07RWLdMh and if you don't have time, here's a sample vid:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I2QReq_MtI&list=PLOKMpbyL5AcvG-TGlCbj-z7DB07RWLdMh&index=5

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    I won't hold out much hope for a new Coroner album, as I understood they were just reforming for fests and gigs, but hey wouldn't that be something? Someone from another blog interviewed Tommy a few years back, and he wasn't even aware that some of their albums had been repressed without the band's permission, and was not happy about that.

I'll have to agree to disagree: I still quite enjoy Mental Vortex, there are some brilliant songs on there that I still listen to all the time. "Pale Sister" is fuckin' amazing. The same for even Grin, that's where they dumbed it down for the groove/industrial metal aesthetic but I still like that album more than Life Beyond, which for me is pretty goofy and scatterbrained sounding.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    autothrall wrote: »
    I won't hold out much hope for a new Coroner album, as I understood they were just reforming for fests and gigs, but hey wouldn't that be something? Someone from another blog interviewed Tommy a few years back, and he wasn't even aware that some of their albums had been repressed without the band's permission, and was not happy about that.
    Shit - that's a huge no-no. I'm sure he was pissed because they got 0 residuals from the re-pressings! I remember reading that Celtic Frost got fucked time and time again on that sort of bullshit. That leads me to the conclusion that Noise Records is a rather exploitative label and even if they used to support really good bands that is incredibly shitty behavior on their part. I'm not counting on Coroner producing anything new in the future either, but how fucking cool would that be?
    autothrall wrote:
    I'll have to agree to disagree: I still quite enjoy Mental Vortex, there are some brilliant songs on there that I still listen to all the time. "Pale Sister" is fuckin' amazing. The same for even Grin, that's where they dumbed it down for the groove/industrial metal aesthetic but I still like that album more than Life Beyond, which for me is pretty goofy and scatterbrained sounding.
    It's all good: eye of the beholder and all that.

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    Nobody loses when we're all listening to 80s thrash metal!

Yeah, Noise, like most labels, had problems with a lot of its artists...bittersweet, because they alone were responsible for releasing about half the best European metal albums of the 80s.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Too true!!

Holy fuck!! I'm getting super pumped up about the new Sceptic Flesh!!!

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I dig what I'm hearing on the new old Converge

Edit: Damn it, I still haven't listened to that album yet.

Gim on
  • Options
    That Converge album came out in 2012. It is still killer though.

• Options
    I was actually really lucky. I grabbed the limited edition of it which is a handback art book and the band signed it at their last Dublin show.
    pFoCf.jpg

They're incredibly nice guys with nothing but time for their fans.

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I'd love to see Coroner re-issue their catalogue so I have a hope in hell of acquiring it...

• Options
    edited April 2014
    You mostly collect vinyl, right? Otherwise I would be surprised if you were having problems finding their stuff, but what the hell do I know, right?

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    Mmmmmm I've got the #003 out of 500 copies of Légendes split (Monarque, Forteresse, Chasse-Galerie, Csejthe).

• Options
  • Options
    Hilarious!!

Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Say what you want about Varg, but I could listen to him talk for hours. For whatever reason, I find him fascinating.

• Options
    AbsurðrAbsurðr Näkrå maximum fucking hellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Finally looked at the lyrics for the new Behemoth, turns out it's "Hence I transfix in bliss ov flagellation" and not "I transmit in peals of flatulation."

My lyrics are always better.

I'm seeing blurbs around that Anhedonist broke up, including on MA, but can't find the announcement. That's a bummer!

Dark Descent Records has a 4'x3' Mitochondrion Antinumerology flag that's kind of sick

Absurðr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular

I liked one of the Trivium albums before they became Metallica clones. KSE is ok at times but I won't go out of my way to listen to them.

• Options
    yakulyakul Registered User regular
    the best sound cloud comments on that mastodon track are the ones that come parroted straight out of marketing and interviews

also wow that chorus is bad. Hunter grew on me, but this is more curl of the burl garbage