Options

SpyParty: It's My Party And I'll Spy If I Want To

World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious peopleRegistered User regular
edited September 2013 in Social Entropy++
spyparty-allchars_4x3-sm.jpg

SpyParty is an asymmetric multiplayer espionage game, dealing with the subtlety of human behavior, character, personality, and social mores, instead of the usual spy game explosions and car chases.

SpyParty is very early in development, but it has been playtested a lot, with more to come, including occasional public playtests, and eventually internet playtests.

openburst-crop.png

Step one: sign up for the beta! It's $15.
Step two: RTFM!

From the FAQ:
Do I have to have friends to play, or is there a central server and I can play other people?
There’s a central lobbyserver, so you get to see everybody who’s currently playing, or waiting to play, or just hanging out and chatting with the really awesome and helpful beta community. It’s pretty ugly right now, but it works. It looks like this if you’re curious.

What platforms does it run on?
It is a Windows game, but it actually runs really well on MacOS using an amazing piece of free magic called Wineskin. A lot of beta testers play on MacOS with Wineskin, and one of them wrote up a really nice and easy tutorial in the beta forums walking you through installing everything you need with screenshots and links and everything, and there are a bunch of people who can help you get it set up if you get stuck. Wineskin works so seamlessly that even the game’s auto-updater works in it. It’s kind of crazy, actually.

Is there a single-player mode yet?
Not yet. Well, there’s Practice Mode, but that’s not really a game, it’s more of a way to get used to things as a newbie, or hone your skills as an advanced player. Eventually there will be a single-player mode, but not for a while. However, as I’ve said, the community is incredibly cool and supportive, so come on in, the water’s fine!

Can I read more, or watch a video before I decide?
Definitely! The manual is here, and the Welcome post, which contains the tutorial video, is here. There are also tons of videos on YouTube, and people streaming the game all the time, so check those out too.

Can you take my money some way besides PayPal?
Sadly, right now, no. I know a lot of people have trouble with PayPal, and I’m going to add Amazon and Google at some point, hopefully soon. A couple things, in the meantime: 1. You don’t need to register for a PayPal account in most countries, you only need a credit card; 2. I’ve found PayPal’s email support to be terrible, but their phone support to be actually really good, so if you are having troubles you might try calling them.

Wait, slow down, I came here from the internet, what the heck is this game?
SpyParty is an asymmetric multiplayer espionage game. One player is a Spy at a cocktail party, trying to accomplishing missions while simultaneously trying to blend in with the other guests. All of the missions have subtle tells associated with them, and all of the other guests are AIs controlled by the computer. The other player is the Sniper, looking in at the party from afar, wishing he or she could order a nice gin and tonic. Because the Sniper can’t order a gin and tonic, somebody at the party is going to get shot, and hopefully it’s the Spy. The Sniper only has one bullet, though, so observe the behavior of the people at the party and choose wisely. If this sounds somewhat familiar, you might want to read this FAQ, where I talk about games with similar mechanics.

What’s the deal with this Early-Access Beta?
After over a year in closed beta, SpyParty is finally open to everyone. It’s a paid beta, which is helping me fund the development of the game. I realize paid beta’s aren’t for everyone, and that’s okay, if you’re more comfortable holding off until the game is done, that’s great, you can still follow along with the progress here on the blog or at the social media outlets on the sidebar. I literally have no idea when the game will be done, most likely years from now. It takes a very long time to tune and balance a game that’s trying to be as deep and competitive as Poker or Go. On the other hand, if you like the idea of getting early-access to the game, helping it evolve, and of course getting the final game when it’s released as part of the deal, then this might be for you.

Can I ask more questions?
Of course! I answer a bunch in the comments below, and feel free to add yours if you don’t see it already, and check out the real big FAQ, although it needs a fresh coat of paint.

Personal addendum: I have worked the booth for this game as a volunteer/superfan for two conventions (PAX Prime 2012 and Evo 2013) and will likely be working it at PAX Prime 2013 as well. I'm happy to tutor anyone who wants lessons!

Users:
kate (World as Myth)
smarthero (Abracadaniel)
infidel (Infidel)
greyghost (Grey Ghost)
blake (Blake T)
maxabillion (QuestionMarkMan)
mully (mully)

kQwcZLJ.png
World as Myth on

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    bananabread

• Options
    Also I totally installed Parallels on my laptop so now I can play this without any weirdness and probably used a 360 controller while I'm at it.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Spy Party, where you look for the dude palming everyone's ass

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I AM NOT A SPY

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    PTEUyEt.jpg

please tell me this outfit will survive the graphical leap

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i will totally get in on this action this weekend

• Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    that fucking plaid jacket

yeah I shoulda mentioned, the graphics are terrible right now and it don't even matter none

kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    video tutorial from the wonderful spectacular developer, chris hecker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=a_MIqQKhyH4

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    I'm super interested in this game and super concerned it won't run on my garbage old computer.

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh man am i gonna play this game

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Very disappointed that thread title wasn't "It's My Party and I'll Spy If I Want To"

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I'm super interested in this game and super concerned it won't run on my garbage old computer.

this game runs super well on almost anything right now, but I'm going to see if I can get checker to point me/us to an official minspec

kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Very disappointed that thread title wasn't "It's My Party and I'll Spy If I Want To"

it's too good.

kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Judging by my ability to interpret behaviors in real-life, I feel I would be profoundly terrible at this game.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I am down for noobing up this game tonight if anyone else is!

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    @Aneurhythmia

SpyParty says:
    there's nothing official but it runs on netbooks right now!

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular

this game runs super well on almost anything right now, but I'm going to see if I can get checker to point me/us to an official minspec

Cool. I just have an old Frankenstein's monster of a computer. I bet the GPU is more powerful than the busted old single core running the machine. It can run random modern stuff but then totally chokes on things like Source engine and flash.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    banana br
    bananabread

fuck you dan

• Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    i am curious
    dangerously curious

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    this is a fantastic game that i am really bad at and avoided playing at all opportunities because i am bad at it and also life

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    reminds me of facade in a way

remember facade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFTwTU7giow

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah Mully I remember Facade

also this game looks neat

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    did anyone actually do anything in facade except hug one or both of them repeatedly until they threw you out of the apartment

also I wanna be a party spy

• Options
    JerkbotJerkbot some kind of hypnotist Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    the sudden realization that I have money to buy this game and nothing else to buy has set in
    i've wanted this game since it was announced
    i should buy this game

Jerkbot on
    VyQGM.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I have this! I haven't played for a while though.

I think my username is Blake or something fucking original like that?

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    banana br
    bananabread

fuck you dan

dananabread

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Abracadannabread

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    This looks super fun, I might have to get in on it too.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Who hasn't played this yet?

Face me!

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I remember seeing this when it was waaay back at the start of development, and it still sounds pretty nifty. I think I'll pick this up tomorrow night!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    FYI, if any of you are playing on Macs and get some weird black texture pop-in, you'll need to download gfxCardStatus so you can force your computer to use Integrated graphics only.

Also this is super fun and I am the best (worst) spy

• Options
    @questionmarkman is your handle the same?

kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    it seems awesome, but I got paid and immediately became poor as insurance/car payment went this same paycheck

• Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    @questionmarkman is your handle the same?
    Nope! Maxabillion

• Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    I'm down to play this game later if anyone else is interested.

My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    Who hasn't played this yet?

Face me!
    I'll play you, infi.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    @blue map what's yer handle?

kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    This is a fun game just don't play kinderparty because after playing spy and sniper twice each he'll declare victory after only one more round as sniper.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    @blue map what's yer handle?
    @World as Myth I'm bluemap in game.

My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493