Options

Go find the new Shadowrun thread, this one has been hacked by elves

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I was pissed the go players ran out of new dialogue like halfway through my run.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I was pissed I couldn't romance Crafty.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I was pissed I couldn't romance Crafty.

Oh, that reminds me of one of my favorite little things in these games--Dietrich's reaction when your female PC says you and Monika were more than friends.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    It's just one thing in particular that's time sensitive:
    At some point Strangler Bao will send you an email about Maximum Law shooting his mouth off about your running activities. Bao asks you to handle it, at which point you can convince Law to stop (easily) or kill him. If you ignore it, Bao just goes and kills Law.

Did I miss anything major apart from
    well, Law? Who I never used anyway.

I guess I could reload, but it doesn't seem that major. I feel like I'm past the 'open world' part and approaching it getting back to the plot.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    oh yeah, I should probably go back and actually play the dlc at some point

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I didn't do Dragonfall's extended cut yet either. Maybe I should go back and do that before HK's DLC.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I didn't do Dragonfall's extended cut yet either. Maybe I should go back and do that before HK's DLC.

the extended cut is...I don't want to say it's a new game because that's overstating it but it's a lot more than 4-5 extra bonus missions. it gives you a lot of new options in existing missions and just really kicks the experience up a notch overall

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    So, when are they doing a Battlerun, Eighth World Adventures game? :razz:

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    So, when are they doing a Battlerun, Eighth World Adventures game? :razz:

tp6mptuz66hn.jpg

One of my favorite sourcebooks of all time, for any RPG. :)

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Dont want to be that guy, but the magic cycle works every 7000 or so years. Itd still be the sixth world of magic in 3050~.

Unless you're talking about worlds in plural, then by all means, eighth world it is.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Is ... is that Battletech ... meets Shadowrun?

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Is ... is that Battletech ... meets Shadowrun?
    Yes. It was a parody sourcebook that Catalyst published in April 2009. I own a physical copy of this. :D
    BEST EVER
    An Eighth World Adventure
    A product 45 years in the making! Though most of those years were concurrent!

As BattleTech celebrates its 25th anniversary and Shadowrun celebrates its 20th, the visionaries at Catalyst Game Labs have, for the first time ever, brought these two worlds together! Join us in a universe that combines the best of two fantastic game universes in a tournament to decide who is the best warrior of all time!

Many warriors have fallen, and only four remain in the Best Ever Tournament: Kieran McCool, the wily immortal elf who pilots the most feared 'Mech on the battlefield; Asmodeal el Angel de la Muerte, the Manei Domini blood mage who is so evil that his mere presence destroys all photons in the immediate vicinity; Nadja Daviar, a refugee from the 21st century who has lost none of her wiles or extreme sex appeal; and newcomer Jonas Hadry, a MechWarrior and battlefield commander so charismatic and beloved that it seems that possibly the deck was a little stacked in his favor.

The Best Ever is a bold venture that bridges two universes. Exciting, visionary, and often a bit deranged, this is the project that no one was asking for but everyone will love!

Contains a summary of the new Eighth World setting, nine new character archetypes, and a roleplaying adventure that involves your characters in the excitement, glamor and sheer ludicrousness of the Best Ever Tournament.

The Best Ever is kind of compatible with Shadowrun, 4th Edition, and A Time of War: The BattleTech RPG, elbow grease to make fully compatible not included.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    #swoons

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Dont want to be that guy, but the magic cycle works every 7000 or so years. Itd still be the sixth world of magic in 3050~.

Unless you're talking about worlds in plural, then by all means, eighth world it is.

Sometimes it gets stuck though and maybe throws things off. Didn't go down normally in 4th world, and came up too fast in 6th?

• Options
    I'd need to read earthrun or whatever the fourth world rpg was to remember what happened then.

6th world started normally for the first 50 or so years, but yes, there is an exponential speed up because the bug spirits are about 70~years too early, even with an expectation of the Chicago incident.

Possible reasoning would be the 2-3billion people still living on the planet. (remember there was the big VITAS 1 and 2 die offs in the 30s and 40s)

Who knows what weird shit would be out and about with 6billion around on that theory.

Also, another theory is Haley's comet happening about 50years after the awakening doing Haley's comet things.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    I'd need to read earthrun or whatever the fourth world rpg was to remember what happened then.

6th world started normally for the first 50 or so years, but yes, there is an exponential speed up because the bug spirits are about 70~years too early, even with an expectation of the Chicago incident.

Possible reasoning would be the 2-3billion people still living on the planet. (remember there was the big VITAS 1 and 2 die offs in the 30s and 40s)

Who knows what weird shit would be out and about with 6billion around on that theory.

Also, another theory is Haley's comet happening about 50years after the awakening doing Haley's comet things.

I always thought the Canon explanation was
    The Great Ghost Dance fucked things up by spiking the level of magic early.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »

I always thought the Canon explanation was
    The Great Ghost Dance fucked things up by spiking the level of magic early.

I only really know Shadowrun from, well, these games. But my impression is that it's also really not helping that the Megacorps are meddling with things they really Ought Not To Meddle With.

Hong Kong and, to only a slightly lesser extent, Dragonfall are basically all about that.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Though aztech was the one into blood magic , what are the other companies messing with?

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Though aztech was the one into blood magic , what are the other companies messing with?

Hong Kong's main antagonist is, I believe, on the board of the economic council of corporations or whatever that rules the place and they're sacrificing people's luck to some supernatural thing that only keeps getting stronger and is starting to leak out further and further into reality.

Dragonfall is not quite so obvious an example. Dragonfall's main antagonist doesn't actually own a Megacorp any more. But they were on the board of one and they do still have access to a whole lot of resources with which to do something... ill-advised.

So it's not just Aztechnology. And I'm willing to bet that in a cyberpunk universe like Shadowrun there are a bunch of other corporations getting up to something heinous and destructive without getting stopped by a ragtag band of Shadowrunners.

• Options

As far as out and out dastardly things, Aztech tops the list with its blood magic.
    Renraku had their Seattle Arcology incident because they've been pushing AI like no one's business. Think Paranoia, and then think the AI just didn't fucking care after that.

There's alot of dirty stuff, but those two top the list.

Ares Macrotechnology while they did do marvelous work fighting the Bug Spirits, are left with a pretty big black eye what with detonating a nuclear bomb in Chicago trying to contain the things.
    Ares was also under attack for trying to develop a spirit weapon. Numerous runs destroyed alot of the research and applied tech of that. 'cuz y'know... bug spirits are bad, but fuck you if you try to kill other ghosts...

Evo Corporation started super racist as Yamatetsu (a Japanacorp) then after 30 or so years of infighting the new CEO managed to flip the company culture to Transhumanism and equality for all. At this point, Evo's got a pretty clean resume as Evo, but they are suspected of the nanotech issue of Cognitive Fragment Disorder leaking every where, and also the Mars Base went offline for 130 days in the late 70's so... probably bad news coming.

Horizon is also kinda clean, but they've been linked to trying to stop Technomancer rights that led to a Las Vegas massacre as well as executing liberated Aztlan POWs during the AzAm war in Bogota. Not quite blood magic, but yea.

NeoNet is centered in Boston, had an iridescent dragon escape a lab, crash into the Boston Green Monster stadium and showered most of Boston in that multicolored rain. Boston Lockdown ensues. I don't think NeoNet is gonna be a AAA in 6th edition after this. lots of CFD issues arising.

Saeder Krupp is owned 100% by Lofwyr. I don't have any 3rd edition splatbooks so I have no idea what they've done, other than being the biggest bully on the block sabotaging companies that they then buy for dirt cheap.

Mitsuhama Computer Technologies (MCT) was surgically eviscerating technomancers to figure out how they worked. Medical footage was leaked in the summer of 2070. Oh and they are intrinsically meshed with the Yakuza

Shiwase and Wuxing haven't really done anything ''super bad'' that I know of. Shiwase does well, even with the infighting between its blood related CEOs. Wuxing makes b.a.n.k. with its feng shui magic in transportation and marketing and on the stock exchanges.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    If it's a triple A megacorp, it is without a doubt involved in some sort of world-breaking awful magic shit. For example:
    Ares is now deliberately implanting insect spirits into human hosts.

S-K, MCT, and NeoNET all have cybermancy clinics to make cyberzombies. Although it is very likely that all of the triple-As have this capability at this point. Aztechnology probably has one, but this was not specifically name dropped anywhere except a novel.

Wuxing is deliberately fucking with the feng shui throughout all of Asia.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    What about good ol' Saeder-Krupp?

Yeah, sounds about right. Nothing overtly evil, just cutthroat.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    That's news to me about Ares, @Hahnsoo1 .

There is definitely a split between Damien Knight, Arthur Vogel, and Gavilan Investment (the Aurelius family and Nadja Daviar aka Big D's Voice)
    I'm wondering which side is backing that or if it is an unknown cabal.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Run by a dragon. Inherently nefarious.

• Options

But unlikely to inflict direct harm on the planet.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular

I still would never work for them . Never deal with a dragon and all that.

• Options

I still would never work for them . Never deal with a dragon and all that.

If I'm at a job fair and Lofwyr asks me to sign up, I don't think I'd tell him no.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    getting noticed by a dragon means you've done goofed, anyways.

you know you're fucked anyways, so just treat him like you would any other johnson at that point.
    be audacious with your terms to whatever deal you're making and tell the dragon it'd be pretty fucked up to twist the wording to give something completely different than what's negotiated, especially if other dragons heard about it.

He thinks you are amusing and you get better terms or lets you live.
    He doesn't like you saying no or your terms, and well, you were dead anyways.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    best to wipe 'em all out, I say

• Options
    The dragons or the Megacorps?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I'd be totally with you on that, Jars.

They certainly don't make their case when Big D was assassinated, Hestaby takes up Big D's mantle of looking out for metahumans (as much as dragonfolk do, when they decide to) and then get's her horde taken, lair destroyed, and ostracized from the dragon community at large.

But there is something Out There that we need them to help fight against. Something scarier than Bug Spirits and Sheddim.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options

Porque no los dos?

• Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Is it weird that I am a bit annoyed at SRHK's dialog boxes all being on the right-hand side? I feel like I'm gonna strain my neck just looking at that side. Maybe that's weird and maybe I should just move my chair or monitor so that I'm aligned with the dialog, but I feel like it could've used more of the screen.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular

Porque no los dos?

I think dragonfall fleshes that out pretty well.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    PhantPhant Registered User regular
    At the very least it feels like the dragons, while Machiavellian, have less tolerance for the kind of stuff that would fuck things up for _everybody_. You can't say the same for some of the (trans)humans.

• Options
    true that phant.

if only because the dragons are the ones that will be around long enough to reap the rewards and sorrows of what we do.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular

There are worse things than the dragons, which the dragons naturally keep at bay. You really shouldn't want to wipe them all out, convince em to ally and be a bit more generous (for mutual benefit), only problem with that is you have to be powerful enough to earn their respect and that's going to entail at least first embarrassing one of the other dragons to impress the one you want to treat with. Fucked if you do, fucked if you don't - pretty much why you don't want to deal with a dragon but the irony in that shadowrunner truism is the world doesn't really have a choice, it has to strike a deal and you're included in that deal whether you like it or not.

The mega corps? You could wipe out pretty much every mega corp (assuming you are defining this as the AAA level of corps running the show) and some A or AA rated corp would just move into its place. Can't really beat the system without dooming the world to be unequipped to fight back against awakened globally and astrally spanning threats.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular

There are worse things than the dragons, which the dragons naturally keep at bay. You really shouldn't want to wipe them all out, convince em to ally and be a bit more generous (for mutual benefit), only problem with that is you have to be powerful enough to earn their respect and that's going to entail at least first embarrassing one of the other dragons to impress the one you want to treat with. Fucked if you do, fucked if you don't - pretty much why you don't want to deal with a dragon but the irony in that shadowrunner truism is the world doesn't really have a choice, it has to strike a deal and you're included in that deal whether you like it or not.

The mega corps? You could wipe out pretty much every mega corp (assuming you are defining this as the AAA level of corps running the show) and some A or AA rated corp would just move into its place. Can't really beat the system without dooming the world to be unequipped to fight back against awakened globally and astrally spanning threats.

I feel like there's a timely metaphor to be made in upending a global order that the average person understands as malignant, unaware of the far more dangerous forces such an action would unleash.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Whistleblower Run...
    Talk about a shit show, indeed. I stuck with the job(and gave Tir the data), but I feel like that was the wrong call.

Sheesh, that was not a pincer battle I was looking forward to fighting, though.
    (The Seoul boys weren't an option.)

Incidentally, Racter is still my hero.
    718AEC38952F1D23564087212D3A08FA80D5902F

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I still don't understand what I'm supposed to feel betrayed by in that run.

This discussion has been closed.