As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Payday 2] Steal Things, Shoot Mans, Repeat as Necessary

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I've been trying the Clarion out a bunch with the tech headshot bonus and it at 40 damage. It's not a bad gun at all, honestly. It's got insane stability and the fire rate is extremely good, so I can just 2-shot pop tan with a burst fire that takes about as long as using most other guns. I haven't got all the mods for it yet, so I'm missing a little bit of accuracy, but I think that'll make it a lot better.

Only problem is that its smaller magazine size and less total ammo compared to the CAR-4 makes it a bit of an unfortunate competitor. You can kill things nearly as quickly with the CAR-4, and do it for longer before you need to reload or grab more ammo, and the CAR is better at busting dozers because of the 60 ammo mags too (if you have to do that).

The clarion does have a really good ammo pickup amount, though. I can't remember exactly what I was getting, but it was much more than I'm used to getting with the CAR-4 and I didn't have aced Fully Loaded. I think with that skill aced you might be completely self sufficient for ammo.

So it's a fun alternative to the CAR-4, but doesn't quite have enough other pros to be outright better in any area.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I hardly ever go through 30 rounds before compulsively reloading so the 60 round mag on the car-4 has never been much of a bonus

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Somebody has been reading my diary:

http://www.overkillsoftware.com/hotlinemiami/

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    So definitely a heist.

I'd also bet there's at least 4 masks because obviously.

Otherwise not sure what else would be in that DLC.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Maybe a new weapon if we're lucky.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Baseball bat for melee?

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Baseball bat for melee?

If they really announce that then I can tell you with a 100% guarantee that the new "heist" is actually an interactive trailer for the new overkill "hotline miami" game, comming 2020.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    I hope the heist is neon as fuck.

Like if I don't finish it with eye strain it's not garish enough.

• Options
    SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Heroth wrote: »
    Syrdon wrote: »
    the G3 is... well, its okay i guess? its either an Eagle heavy or if you use the 'DMR barrel kit' basically makes it a M308 with ten extra ammo capacity... Although once again it seems quite abit less accurate than the M308 (both ADS/Hip-firing) and it also seemed to have a worse 'damage' drop off? although that might've just been in my head... i guess a plus is you can roll it without a trigger mod so you can go single/auto fire on it for emergencies.
    Fairly sure only shotguns have dropoff. As far as accuracy goes, I haven't felt much difference between the M308 and the G3. I'm fairly sure you can get the G3 to the 119 damage breakpoint to take grays out in a single headshot (DW tans are at 91 for 2 head shots, otherwise 80), and I believe you can get the M308 to that as well. So long as you can get them over whichever of those 3 breakpoints appeals to you most at any moment, you've developed a relatively interesting weapon.

Having played with both of them a bunch, either works as a loud replacement if you're bored of the CAR-4. The other weapons in the DLC are pretty crap it seems, although I'm fairly certain they'll all work just fine in overkill and maybe deathwish if your aim is good.

Yeah, the thing with the G3 was when i was going for the dozer kills, so no DMR... i had it on 40 damage with the tech and enforcer tier bonus's so i should've been one-shot headshotting SWAT/White helmet FBI dudes (i was doing transport park hards for dozers) but it wasn't consistent... i was one-shot headshotting them sometimes and then others i was forced to two shot them... so it might've been bugged or i was somehow 'missing' the head because of accuracy, although they where staggering like they'd been hit in the head and the shots defiantly looked like they where hitting the head but i might've been mistaken.

Yeah i've mostly been using the Gecko instead of the Car-4 just to shake things up but i'd really *love* it if overkill actually buffed the gecko and *all* the other guns upto the Car-4...
    Hmm, weapon mod dependent at least, the spreadsheet agrees with you, although it has the G3 at 42ish damage. Running one of the hud mods that gives you enemy health might give a bit more insight there. If they're running around at 1 health, you hit a rounding error or something similar. If they're at half health, you scattered into the body, etc. That scattering is actually one of the things that really bugs me about payday 2. The bullets go in a cone, but the gun doesn't, so you're guessing where the bullet went.

Syrdon on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Found out about an interesting bug today. If you pick up a bag while standing it destroys your concealment, which crouching will fix. If you pick something up while crouching you're fine. What a silly system.

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    A steak! wrote: »
    Found out about an interesting bug today. If you pick up a bag while standing it destroys your concealment, which crouching will fix. If you pick something up while crouching you're fine. What a silly system.

Interesting, although I do know that carrying bags increases your detection, and the more valuable (heavy) something is, the higher your visibility.

• Options
    As we all know squatting makes you 100% more invisible and quieter.

• Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    A steak! wrote: »

Interesting, although I do know that carrying bags increases your detection, and the more valuable (heavy) something is, the higher your visibility.

It doesn't, actually... apart from going slower so making your movement harder, it makes no difference on your actual detection.

Apart from an quirk similiar to what a steak! mentioned,
    Carrying bags has no influence on your detection against civilians. Against non-civilians, if you pick up the bag while crouched, your detection also remains unchanged. If you pick up the bag while standing however, you have a minimum detection delay multiplier of 1 instead of the usual 2 and a detection range of 40 instead of 20, so you are spotted from twice as far. Even with a detection risk of 3, this means a distance of 32 meters (equivalent to the detection range of a person with 69 detection risk). Entering the crouched stance at any point after picking up the bag while standing gives back the normal modifiers (which apply even when standing up again afterwards). The weight of the bag makes no difference.

from http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=267214370.

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    As we all know squatting makes you 100% more invisible and quieter.

Only when wearing a suit. I see a fucker crouching in my kitchen with a ballistic vest though? Now THAT warrants an immediate police call!

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited September 2014
    http://www.reddit.com/r/paydaytheheist/comments/2gcnfn/visiting_overkill_the_response/

Not really any 'new' info, but some stuff there i guess... engaging cynical mode for a minute but what exactly was the reason for his visit?

Heroth on
    1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    It's a bit funny considering HoxHUD is, in a way, cheating (and before you ask, yes I stopped using it). As of the current version it tells you: How many enemies are alive on the map, what phase the assault is in (build, sustain or fade), how many baggable items there are, and enemy health values. Some of its' features could be considered helpful more than cheating - like telling you how many pager calls you have left - but all of what I just listed is information you can hardly obtain this way without HoxHUD, thus giving you an otherwise unobtainable advantage.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    and yet without it i'd consistently fail since i can't hold down a button for 10 seconds

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    It's a bit funny considering HoxHUD is, in a way, cheating (and before you ask, yes I stopped using it). As of the current version it tells you: How many enemies are alive on the map, what phase the assault is in (build, sustain or fade), how many baggable items there are, and enemy health values. Some of its' features could be considered helpful more than cheating - like telling you how many pager calls you have left - but all of what I just listed is information you can hardly obtain this way without HoxHUD, thus giving you an otherwise unobtainable advantage.

Yeah, some of the newer stuff it added is just dumb with how much it tells you. Luckily you can turn those bits off and still keep the ability to not have to hold down buttons.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Yeah, the irony of hoxhud 'stopping cheats' wasn't lost on me... it is 'hacking' the file the same as other 'cheats'...

I still use it for the visual timers and pager count... and the build/sustain/fade thing is borderline for me since you can generally tell this by the amount of troops shooting at you/in visual range/guesstimating the length the previous assault.

The rest is fairly cheaty, and i honestly ignore the other stuff (apart from the 'sticky key' feature, i mean... thats just saving my fingers from cramping)... it'd be great if you could just turn the guard/bag/enemy counts off. edit: Annnnd thanks to neo|phyte i *just* learned you can turn those off... i mean, i'm not sure how i missed those.

Heroth on
    1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    it'd be great if you could just turn the guard/bag/enemy counts off.
    You can do exactly this in the hoxhud options.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Somebody has been reading my diary:

http://www.overkillsoftware.com/hotlinemiami/

This could end up being kinda meh or really god damn nuts. Please, oh please, let it be the latter.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I find gauging enemy health pretty easy usually. I know how much damage my gun does, I know how many shots I took at each guy I have engaged and not killed (usually 1 guy), I'm usually correct on how many of those were headshots, and I know how much health they have. Admittedly, I measure most of those things in shots remaining instead of hp, but that just makes the numbers smaller.

More notably, what does knowing enemy health actually give you in this game? Most people select weapons either for specific roles or specific range bands, so they're going to engage with the weapon that's appropriate to the range the guy is at unless the guy in question is a special they brought a weapon specifically for. Assault phase you should be able to guess with a high degree of accuracy by seeing how frequently new cops are entering the map (or, at least, entering combat). Baggable items you might not know depending on the heist, but since it doesn't tell you where they are, the most you get out of it the ability to stop checking the spawn points for loot a little early.

Yeah, the irony of hoxhud 'stopping cheats' wasn't lost on me... it is 'hacking' the file the same as other 'cheats'...
    There's no mod support in the game. Unless you're defining cheating as any modification to a game, then the argument for things being 'cheats' has to be based on the functionality the thing grants.

Syrdon on
  • Options
    Providing information not available to players in the vanilla game is cheating.

Not super severe cheating but still cheating.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Didn't the devs give a greenlight to use HOX? That's what Cango told me, anyway.

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Didn't the devs give a greenlight to use HOX? That's what Cango told me, anyway.

They HAD, but I'm wondering if they're aware of recent changes and developments.

• Options
    The devs are fine with it. It's still kind of a grey line though IMO. Similar to how most devs are fine with objective timers (that aren't code triggered) in MOBA's or macros in other games.

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »

They HAD, but I'm wondering if they're aware of recent changes and developments.
    Fairly sure the dev's just had the HoxHud guy out to visit them, and their approval was after the addition of basically all the tracking stuff from what I recall. Fairly sure the only changes since then have been cosmetic or allowing you to not hold down a key to continue doing a thing.

• Options
    Syrdon wrote: »
    I find gauging enemy health pretty easy usually. I know how much damage my gun does, I know how many shots I took at each guy I have engaged and not killed (usually 1 guy), I'm usually correct on how many of those were headshots, and I know how much health they have. Admittedly, I measure most of those things in shots remaining instead of hp, but that just makes the numbers smaller.

More notably, what does knowing enemy health actually give you in this game? Most people select weapons either for specific roles or specific range bands, so they're going to engage with the weapon that's appropriate to the range the guy is at unless the guy in question is a special they brought a weapon specifically for. Assault phase you should be able to guess with a high degree of accuracy by seeing how frequently new cops are entering the map (or, at least, entering combat). Baggable items you might not know depending on the heist, but since it doesn't tell you where they are, the most you get out of it the ability to stop checking the spawn points for loot a little early.

There's no mod support in the game. Unless you're defining cheating as any modification to a game, then the argument for things being 'cheats' has to be based on the functionality the thing grants.

the bags thing doesn't actually tell you the bags until after you can get to them

like, you won't have it pop up until the vault opens/you open that deposit box it's in/you pop open that crate

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    So I guess we're getting a big fat music update? Seems neat, but its not exactly gun balancing or new heists or anything.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    It's cool, I look forward to changing the main menu music.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Music is actually a big deal for me in payday. There are a few great beats, but also a few whatever ones so I'm always happy when I get the "right" one for a heist.

Diamond heist in payday 1 was like, made by the music.

Hrm, that one in the link was okay I suppose. Not quite enough hype. Big bank one is good, could have more of the freaky opera house music parts.

Vic_Hazard on
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Update 36 is out. It's exactly what they said it'd be.

However! They changed the intro...when you start the game, you will now see the Hoxton breakout trailer...!

Edit:

Nevermind, not worth watching. It's a few seconds of "teaser". Shows that you...use a drill. And carry guns. And appearantly, BIG SURPRISE, you'll rescue someone in an orange junpsuit. Great, I would have never known without that teaser.

Customizing your music is also so-so. For example, there's 5 (6 if you include the credits) menu options:

- Menu theme
    - Loadout theme
    - Heist failed theme
    - Heist succeeded theme
    - Pick-a-card screen theme

You can only create ONE custom playlist that you can choose for any of these. The other options are either "pick a random track" or "pick only this one specific track every time".

Say I'd want a set of 3 specific tracks for loadout, and a different set of 4 specific tracks for heist failed? Impossible. I can create either one, but not both at the same time.

It's even worse when looking at heists. You can also only create one single custom playlist for all your heists.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Can put See You at The Safehouse as heist end music.

Best update 10/10.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    1.2gb of music! ...kinda wish this was an optional... heresy i know, but i almost universally turn music off in games i play, i'm either talking to people on skype/vent/whatever or listening to my own music (or both)... its awesome for all those people who love music though.

Heroth on
    1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Watchig the movie Heat will give you a new appreciation for the music.

Also, authentic studio 5.56 dakkadakka sound.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    1.2gb of music! ...kinda wish this was an optional... heresy i know, but i almost universally turn music off in games i play, i'm either talking to people on skype/vent/whatever or listening to my own music (or both)... its awesome for all those people who love music though.

Look, everyone's entitled to an opinion.

Yours is just wrong.

• Options
    RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Ok, so I finally changed my build a little bit. Now I'm trying R93, and it's actually enjoyable. Especially when shield is coming at you, and you just shoot him in the head through shield.
    Also, the Ballistic vest is now too heavy for me, so now I'm using suit as my main "armor".

Redthirst on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Why would it not be enjoyable? The R93 is amazing. Easily my favourite primary.

• Options
    Why would it not be enjoyable? The R93 is amazing. Easily my favourite primary.
    Well, before that I used ARs, so I thought that low rate of fire on SRs will be painful. But after I realized that you can one-shot pretty much everything, this wasn't a problem. Also, at first I was taking a lot of damage since I was standing still, and if you're wearing a suit, you can't really stand still. Now I'm learning to quick scope with it or just shoot from behind covers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Also, I haven't seen any activity from guys at PA crime time. Aren't we playing together anymore?

steam_sig.png