As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG] Temple of Abandon errata: Temple of Parties; Born of the Gods Prerelease Feb 1+2

The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly!Registered User regular
edited January 2014 in Social Entropy++
Welcome to the Magic: The Gathering thread! We're currently freaking out over how crazy cool Theros is! Need to know about Theros? Daily MTG has new articles up every day, including the full set spoiler tonight (In about half an hour!)

I'm also looking to gauge interest in some kind of Theros Sealed League (Like we tried with DGM/M14 a couple months ago), so if anyone is interested, hit me with an @ "The Betman" so I can get a good count going. We'd be using Lackey to play the games.

Pre-Release is this weekend! If you attend, you'll pick a color. Depending on which color you pick, you're guaranteed one of these promo cards:
arc1309_1_95yz4400ms.jpg
arc1309_4_v0n8r6igjk.jpg
arc1309_5_2f4fundtuc.jpg
arc1309_7_43zrcb6byf.jpg
arc1309_8_yzrw84l2op.jpg

THEROS STUFF

tumblr_mt2uowhII31ri1r1uo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mt2uowhII31ri1r1uo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_msvfq38PDG1ri1r1uo1_500.jpg

tumblr_msvfq38PDG1ri1r1uo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_msl5ljCQUc1ri1r1uo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_msl5ljCQUc1ri1r1uo2_1280.jpg

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
The Betgirl on

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Love these new merfolk.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    @The Betman I would be interested in a sealed league.

This version of U/R Counterburn is easily the best one so far, but I'm not actually sure if it's good yet.
    1 Purphoros, God of the Forge
    4 Guttersnipe
    4 Goblin Electromancer
    4 Young Pyromancer

2 Dissolve
    2 Essence Scatter
    2 Izzet Charm
    2 Izzet Guildgate
    3 Lightning Strike
    3 Magma Jet
    2 Mizzium Mortars
    3 Steam Augury
    2 Syncopate
    4 Turn // Burn

2 Chandra, Pyromaster

4 Steam Vents
    8 Island
    8 Mountain

SB: 2 Anger of the Gods
    SB: 2 Dispel
    SB: 2 Negate
    SB: 2 Peak Eruption
    SB: 2 Ral Zarek
    SB: 2 Mizzium Mortars
    SB: 1 Dissolve
    SB: 1 Steam Augury

I really wish there was more card draw, or even just cantrips. Scry is great, but without card draw all my 2/2s look a lot less impressive.

admanb on
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    MTG: League of Greek Legends

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    @The Betman I am totally down

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Mmm, new thread smell.

Also, it's here.

Only Online Pauper ate a banhammer, which is good I guess.

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Ah yes a thread I can bitch about MTGO in

I tried to recover my old account password today, and was asked for the answer to my secret question. It also did not tell me what the question was!

I ended up saying fuck it and buying a new account, because I'm pretty sure I drafted away anything of value on my old account. And I'm a weak willed idiot.

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    Full spoilers are out. I mean, I wanted to do midrange rakdos, but what the fuck Boros weenie is absolutely insane.

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    IbdPuI4eb7O_EN_LR.jpg

I love this card so much. So much.

Also, seems like the only thing I want from this set for my Bogbrew witch deck is 4 hero's downfall.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    Minerva_SC wrote: »
    Boros weenie is absolutely gonna die horribly to one of three red sweepers in the format

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    also colossus is hilarious

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    urgh, the Blue section of the spoiler puts this

eIaKIpU8zYY_EN_LR.jpg

right above this

6S5xAOgBm2n_EN_LR.jpg

Hoping I don't run into that combo.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Boros weenie is absolutely gonna die horribly to one of three red sweepers in the format
    White has access to intant indestructability. Go selesnya aggro.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

Are you going to go 1 drop, 2 drop, hold up Rootborn defense for the rest of the game while your opponent builds his board and sculpts his hand?

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    if you're in Boros anyway wouldn't you be using Boros Charms for indestructibility?

• Options
    If he is building his board then he can feel free to board wipe. Plus our three drops and four drops are A. To big to be killed by it or B. cast-able at instant speed. So I can both keep mana up and increase board presence.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    Aahhh yeah there is boros charm and legions initiative. I mean, @blackbeard7 I know you've been all about "dies to removal" for the passed few reveals, but with said boros charm/legion initiative plus anex and cymede/phalanxe leader combined with the decent 1 drop pump/enchantments just revealed, boros is looking prettyu damn sturdy at the moment.

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    legion's initiative is not good

its like having the boros charm but signaling you have it so that I dont tap out and waste a spell

everything you just described is like the slowest. you tap out for anex, you get slagstorm'd

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular

Are you going to go 1 drop, 2 drop, hold up Rootborn defense for the rest of the game while your opponent builds his board and sculpts his hand?

Don't be silly!

Supreme Verdit costs four so you have a Loxodon Smiter out before you hold up Rootborn till the end of the game.

• Options

Don't be silly!

Supreme Verdit costs four so you have a Loxodon Smiter out before you hold up Rootborn till the end of the game.
    Anger of the gods is three though. Not that it matters.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Out of all of the wonderful flavor in the cards, my favorite is probably The Returned.

An army of dead heroes wearing golden masks that have no memory of their previous lives?

So cool

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    they are rad

I was hoping they had more of a presence in actual cards and maybe a rare or two besides MURDER KING but maybe more in the next 2 sets

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Kinda hoping that they print an event deck with two Thoughtseizes in it to help drop the cost, like they did with Thragtusk.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Somebody give me a prerelease primer

Do we know what the cards will be in the intro packs or which color gets which promo cards

unless that is only for the hydra thing in which case whatever

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Do we know what the cards will be in the intro packs or which color gets which promo cards

The promo cards are definitely the intro pack rares for each color

IE the blue one is that kraken, the red one is the guy that makes you sac land

• Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular

Don't be silly!

Anger of the gods is three though. Not that it matters.

brave the elements works for any red

FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options

Okay I just added the pre-release promos to the OP

• Options
    edited September 2013
    u da bes

edit hmmm not knowing which color got which creature I was considering going green but it looks like blue and red have the bombiest creatures on the block by far

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    also can I just say how sad I am that Cavalry Pegasus only gives humans flying and not soldiers

soldiers would better fit the flavor of the name and also the million white cards in theros and rtr that produce soldier tokens

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    That's probably why they didnt, to be fair

• Options
    edited September 2013
    dumb question time: does a spell have to successfully resolve in order to count as being "cast"? Specifically thinking with regards to triggering heroic

Like, if I have out a bunch of heroic creatures and I play Curse of the Swine targeting my own guys and then Swan Song my own Curse preventing it from resolving

Would I have successfully triggered all their heroic abilities without turning them into boars or would I have just wasted a bunch of mana to make a single bird?

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    The Betman wrote: »
    That's probably why they didnt, to be fair

Yeah but Synergy! Legion of flying white tokens!

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I really wanna do the whole prerelease, release weekend, game day but I dunno if I'll have money.

It sorta seems like you really only need to go to the game day thing and the first two just give you more hero cards?

• Options
    dumb question time: does a spell have to successfully resolve in order to count as being "cast"? Specifically thinking with regards to triggering heroic

Like, if I have out a bunch of heroic creatures and I play Curse of the Swine targeting my own guys and then Swan Song my own Curse preventing it from resolving

Would I have successfully triggered all their heroic abilities without turning them into boars or would I have just wasted a bunch of mana to make a single bird?

I think that would work; IIRC, "casting" triggers as soon as you pay the costs for the spell. Countering prevents the spell from resolving, but once the cost is paid you can't prevent it from being cast.

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »

I think that would work; IIRC, "casting" triggers as soon as you pay the costs for the spell. Countering prevents the spell from resolving, but once the cost is paid you can't prevent it from being cast.

Yeah I did a brief gatherer look at other cards that have effects triggered when you cast a spell, and none of them ever mentioned a fail state if the spell is countered and most didn't have any ruling text at all

the ones that actually had rulings all said the triggered effect instantly goes on the stack on top of the spell and resolves before the spell resolves

so I think I am onto something (dumb and impractical no matter how fun)

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    @the betman I am mos def interested in Lackey League

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I would love love love to do a league.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Started my first Sealed game

got Garruk, Ajani, and Liliana :3

• Options
    the fuck

you're like some kinda super SOTAR

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    Started my first Sealed game

got Garruk, Ajani, and Liliana :3

I refuse to awesome this.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    It could be a lot better

This is a new player phantom game, so I don't get to keep any of those cards

E: Went with a white/green Ajani/Garruk deck, and won pretty handily! Unfortunately, I never got to use Garruk.

THESPOOKY on
This discussion has been closed.