Options

[MTG] Temple of Abandon errata: Temple of Parties; Born of the Gods Prerelease Feb 1+2

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    Had to awesome, cause I was happy to see that green instant during spoilers , and glad to hear it's causing trouble, I want to sprinkle double strike onto the mix!

He followed this play up with the black 2/4 Centaur that mills target player for four. Milled himself, then played Nemesis of Mortals for GG, then the following turn played Trip to the Underworld, saccing a Sedge Scorpion to bring back the Abhorrent Overlord he milled when the Centaur came into play.

Only reason I made it out alive was that I had Divine Verdict, Griptide and Sea God's Revenge in hand.

Damn, that sounds like a fun match .

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ZilikZilik Registered User regular
    So what do you guys think is the worst color pack to pick? Please don't say black, I so wanna play black.

After getting back from pre-release, I feel like either black or red is the weakest color you can pick. Both colors have a lot of bad creatures at common so unless you get a lot of good creature support in another color you're going to have a rough time.

Ended up going 4-1-1 to make top 8, made top 4 and everyone wanted to split the prizes. Got 14 boosters.

Picked Green as my path, ended up going green-white.
    9 forests
    8 plains

1x Hopeful Eidolon
    1x Sedge Scorpion
    2x Setessan Battle Priest
    1x Voyaging Satyr
    3x Leafcrown Dryad
    1x Reverent Hunter
    1x Fabled Hero
    1x Observant Alseid
    1x Wingsteed Rider
    1x Boon Satyr
    1x Nylea's Disciple
    1x Pheres-Band Centaurs
    1x Anthousa, Setessan Hero
    1x Setessan Griffin
    1x Vulpline Goliath

1x Gods Willing
    1x Chosen by Heliod
    1x Savage Surge
    1x Artisan's Sorrow
    1x Divine Verdict

Switch : SW-6376-0705-0509
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Zilik wrote: »
    So what do you guys think is the worst color pack to pick? Please don't say black, I so wanna play black.

After getting back from pre-release, I feel like either black or red is the weakest color you can pick. Both colors have a lot of bad creatures at common so unless you get a lot of good creature support in another color you're going to have a rough time.

Ended up going 4-1-1 to make top 8, made top 4 and everyone wanted to split the prizes. Got 14 boosters.

Picked Green as my path, ended up going green-white.
    9 forests
    8 plains

1x Hopeful Eidolon
    1x Sedge Scorpion
    2x Setessan Battle Priest
    1x Voyaging Satyr
    3x Leafcrown Dryad
    1x Reverent Hunter
    1x Fabled Hero
    1x Observant Alseid
    1x Wingsteed Rider
    1x Boon Satyr
    1x Nylea's Disciple
    1x Pheres-Band Centaurs
    1x Anthousa, Setessan Hero
    1x Setessan Griffin
    1x Vulpline Goliath

1x Gods Willing
    1x Chosen by Heliod
    1x Savage Surge
    1x Artisan's Sorrow
    1x Divine Verdict

Oh man, did you ever get a Boon Satyr bestowed on a Fabled Hero? That would have been nuts.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    first prerelease of the weekend is in a couple hours

hoping to ride shipbreaker kraken to victory

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    first prerelease of the weekend is in a couple hours

hoping to ride shipbreaker kraken to victory

I had a guy play his kraken, then next turn play an artisan of forms and I couldn't figure out why he would bother playing Artisan in limited

and then he dropped the little R aura that gives haste and copied his kraken and I had a bad time

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    Red is an amazing pack. The red commons look weak... until you pair them with another color.

I went 4-1-1 with R/W, and that's with me deciding to draw the last round. Playing that final match out for fun, though, resulted in me winning.

So, in 13 total games, I lost 2. R/W is nuts.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    gonna bet on green and pray i do better than m14's prerelease

thankfully i'm going to the plane of the gods

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Can I use a "destroy target creature" effect on a Bestowed creature that's acting as an aura?

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Nope
    When a card with bestow is in your hand, you have two options: cast it normally for its mana cost, or cast it for its bestow cost. If you cast a bestow card normally, it's an enchantment creature spell that resolves and becomes an enchantment creature on the battlefield. Its bestow ability and its "Enchanted creature gets..." text are ignored.

If you cast a bestow card for its bestow cost, it's never a creature spell. Instead, it's an Aura spell with enchant creature, so you have to target a creature to cast it. If that creature has a heroic ability, this will trigger it, just as any other Aura spell would.

If the target creature leaves the battlefield after you cast a card with bestow as an Aura but before the spell resolves, the Aura spell will resolve as an enchantment creature rather than being countered like a normal Aura spell. If the target creature is still on the battlefield when the Aura spell resolves, it resolves as an Aura enchanting that creature.

While it's enchanting a creature, an Aura with bestow grants the creature the bonuses listed in its text box. If the creature it's enchanting leaves the battlefield for any reason, the Aura immediately becomes an enchantment creature again rather than being put in the graveyard like other Auras.

• Options
    SedraxisSedraxis Kooloo LimpahRegistered User regular
    ~Prerelease story~
    I went blue because I wanted the kraken, and my color pack gave my Daxos of Meletis. I also pulled Elspeth and Celestial Archon, so between those and some other nice white cards I pulled, I had to go white/blue.

I was stupidly lucky every game. I usually drew Maxos early, and I never lost a game until the final round.
    Unfortunately, my 2nd round opponent incorrectly marked who won on our sheet, and I didn't notice until I was paired with someone who should have been below me in the final round, so it was too late to fix it. He said he'd give me the 4 pack difference, but he only ended up giving me 2 (they were Thoughseize and Reaper of the Wilds, so ha ha).

In the final round, game 3, I got my opponent really low, but he stalled out like hell. I had made my kraken monstrous, but he had copied my kraken and made that monstrous too, so we were both tapped down. I later managed to bounce his copy, but his removal took care of any threat I had tried to lay down until then. He had Sentry of the Underworld (but was at 3 life, so he couldn't regenerate it) and gave it Gift of Immortality, and later pulled Heliod himself on me. I could not get past his line of defense (partially because I had been mana flooded all game) until a Horizon Sphinx on turn 3 of the 5 turn extension let me see the helm that makes creatures unable to be blocked except by walls. On his final turn he copied my Hopeful Eidolon, bestowed an archon onto it, and swung, but it wasn't enough to save him from a 10/10 nigh-unblockable kraken.

I thought my deck would be top-heavy with the 4 6-cost things and the archon, but it actually scaled out really well in almost every game. I kind of didn't pay attention to the 1-, 2-, 3-, and 4-drop creatures and spells I had.

One of my prize packs gave me Hythonia the Cruel and a shiny Nemesis or Mortals, and I got a Boon Satyr from another prize pack.

Mirrodinlandscape.jpg
    3DS: 0232-8293-7683
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Never ever ever let the loser report. Ever.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    What a poor sport, to cheat like that.

• Options
    SwillSwill Registered User regular
    I opened shit rares and went 0-2 drop. I had fun though. Going to another one in like 2 hours with @hellajeff

Oh yeah I managed to live the dream (more than once) by attacking with a 20/20 trampling indestructible

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Yep, didn't win the thing theros sucks.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    After I got home I took a 3ish hour nap and then went back out for the 10:30 event

Chose black because I really liked what I was seeing in black removal

Tricked myself into going minotaur tribal when I really should not have

Got Thought Seize, Black Dreadbore, Extra Turn Sphinx, Red God Hammer and i forget what the other 2 were so they must not have been exciting (apparently they were Chained to the rock and temple of abandon but I dont want to hit backspace)

Lost the first two rounds 1-2 each, curved out bad and played poorly, but the one game each round where I hit my draws and drops and shit and just beat on the other guy's face were amazing, Third round was super easy because I got a bye round, round 4 was back and forth but I won so I got a prize pack again wooooo

It had a Daxos in it

The second round I played against a guy who had gone green and then pulled the green god and the green god weapon and I wanted to just kill him with my mind

edit also when I was at the land station putting back the land I borrowed from the store I picked up a pile somebody else had desleaved and just left on the table and I went to put them back and found the UB scryland mixed in with the islands and swamps that were in that pile

so I took it home with me

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    so like half my rares were temples out of color which I wasnt super pleased about. that does not help me perform well at prerelease

started 2-0 ended 2-3. my deck turned into u/g "ramp/durdle until you find your kraken/other bomb" because I had fuckall

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    I actually won a game where I did nothing but play lands and kraken and win

he beat me down to like 6 off some 1/1s before I stabilized

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    dicking around until you get enough mana to kraken then monstrous it seems like a completely viable pre-release strat

just gotta keep scrying

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    I had triple omenspeaker

I could reasonably see half the deck in a game

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    in fact the 3 games I lost I did NOT see kraken

my deck was so bad it couldnt win without seeing like one of three bombs on curve/ahead of schedule with the mana dork satyr

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    I got some good stuff I needed in trades for standard though so its whatevs

but my friend that got 3 prize packs, 2 of which contained thoughtseize, can go fuck himself

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Tried to combine Minotaur tribal with b/w life drain

Didn't work

• Options
    The 4 drop common 2/2 heroic green guy who gets two counters when you target him is fun

I burned him with my own magma jet so I could scry and safely get him 2 counters for free and it was amazing

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Dumb question 2: How do doubling effects work if multiple doubling effects proc at the same time?

For example, I have two Kalonian Hydras on the board, both with 4 counters. Both attack in the same phase. I can see interpretations allowing them to both have either 8, 12, or 16 counters; which would be correct?

• Options
    edited September 2013
    If you have two you get 2 doubling effects

first their counter total would double to 8, and then to 16

edit there is no opportunity for anyone to respond to the first doubling effect, both hit the stack and resolve right away and you can resolve them in any order you like because multiplication works out nicely like that

edit edit you wanna have some real Fun With Math you throw in a Corpsejack Menace, then your two hydras go form 4 to 12 and then from 12 to 36
    unless double is somehow different from add counters to and I hope to god it isn't because I would like to not misread new magic wording at least once

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    I was playing U/G kraken durdle too. Lost in the finals, but pulled purphoros, thoughtseize, and shrine from packs. I also had the double up foil/non foil mythic thing as well, was hythonia though. =\

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    If you have two you get 2 doubling effects

first their counter total would double to 8, and then to 16

edit there is no opportunity for anyone to respond to the first doubling effect, both hit the stack and resolve right away and you can resolve them in any order you like because multiplication works out nicely like that

edit edit you wanna have some real Fun With Math you throw in a Corpsejack Menace, then your two hydras go form 4 to 12 and then from 12 to 36
    unless double is somehow different from add counters to and I hope to god it isn't because I would like to not misread new magic wording at least once

via Gatherer:
    To double the number of +1/+1 counters on a creature, determine how many +1/+1 counters are on the creature and put that many more on it. Effects that interact with counters (such as the one created by Corpsejack Menace’s ability) may change the number of counters ultimately put on the creature.

• Options
    that is good

corpsejack is the best

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    i went 2-2! played green and white, went path of might

pulled that mythic sphinx and traded for thassa, pulled the shipbreaker kraken, mistcutter hydra and bow of nylea, traded a couple minotaurs for a fleecemane lion

got another wayfaring temple

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    I'm still bummed I missed out on the prerelease

stupid friends with their stupid weddings taking up all my Saturday vacation days

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    In non-Theros news, Slivers are fucking dumbbbbb

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    1997 called, they want their news back

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    They can have their slivers back too, as soon as I get done sweeping this sealed game

Q2CFG0p.png

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    I have a full set of magma jets so I guess life is good now. Also got a thoughtseize which I have no idea if it will be a huge thing in standard or not.

• Options
    thought seize is like 30 bucks right now so if that is any indication I would bet on seeing them everywhere

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I have a full set of magma jets so I guess life is good now. Also got a thoughtseize which I have no idea if it will be a huge thing in standard or not.

Unless the format is dominated by aggro (which, at least before the next set, is very unlikely) Thoughtseize will be a thing. It's pretty much impossible for it to be bad unless two life is huge.

• Options
    Thoughtseize actually did work for me in discarding Erebos. Then the next game he played ashiok and erebos and then I cried.

• Options
    i have three fade into antiquities and two sundering growths to sideboard

ho

ho

ho

• Options
    fade to antiquity is amazing

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    ScisScis Registered User regular
    Ended up with 16 packs of Theros altogether from my first prerelease this weekend. Pulled 2 Xenagos's, a Helliod, but only 1 R/B Chimera and 0 Magma Jets. Why am I so unlucky.

This discussion has been closed.