Options

[ASSCREED] Rogue and Unity Out Now, For Better or Worse

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    i've been rereading the flashman books and now i want a british india AC where you play as some orientalized pathan steppe warrior dude who says "thy" a lot

Crimson King on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Will you accept assassin's creed chronicles: india

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I do dig an Assassin who has a lot of Templar sympathies. They kind of touched on this in III and Liberation, but I really want them to explore it a lot in this. As I learn more about the story, I have to admit I'm getting more excited. But Destiny burned me on the concept of buying before reviews, and so...

I am patient.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I assume it's less "hey Elise meet Arno he's your new brother" and more "hey Elise meet Arno he's going to be living with us"

Yeah, pretty much. Story spoilers ho!
    Elise dad is the Grandmaster of the French Templars, or at least a high ranking one. Arno's dad goes to kill him. Elise's dad kills Arno's dad, but respects Arno's dad so much that he adopts a young Arno. Arno follows in his dad's footsteps, and Elise's dad is fine with it, presumably hiding his nature from him. Well, some shit goes down and apparently Arno causes the death of Elise's dad, and now both Arno and Elise want revenge, as Paris tears itself apart.

That's all we know.

This actually sounds interesting, mainly because it makes the plot about characters, which so many games forget to do, with most making it about some piece of tech or grand conspiracy. So many games establish really great characters at the beginning, then just toss them away in favour of a carousel of cardboard cut outs who you end up spending way too much time with.

My biggest pet peeve is the old "Im in debt to some annoying character, so I'll go kill a thousand people he wants me to kill so he doesnt kill me" and then 10 or so times after its been made abundantly clear you'll never be out of this characters debt, because he keeps getting you to kill more and more people, you arbitrarily remember that you're a mass murdering badass and just kill the character.

Im looking at you, every rockstar game ever

and especially GTAV and the fbi/cia characters

ILL CLEAR MY NAME AND GET THE CIA OFF MY BACK BY MURDERING 10,000 POLICE OFFICERS

Writing.

Thank you. I finally played GTAV this month and I got really frustrated at the moment when I realized that the second half of the story was literally Red Dead Redemption only less compelling and was hoping it wasn't just me

• Options
    Yeah, I'm warming up to Unity the more I learn about it. I'm still cautious and will wait for reviews, mind you, but it's looking like a real step forward for the franchise.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I assume it's less "hey Elise meet Arno he's your new brother" and more "hey Elise meet Arno he's going to be living with us"

Elise dad is the Grandmaster of the French Templars, or at least a high ranking one. Arno's dad goes to kill him. Elise's dad kills Arno's dad, but respects Arno's dad so much that he adopts a young Arno. Arno follows in his dad's footsteps, and Elise's dad is fine with it, presumably hiding his nature from him. Well, some shit goes down and apparently Arno causes the death of Elise's dad, and now both Arno and Elise want revenge, as Paris tears itself apart.

That's all we know.

This actually sounds interesting, mainly because it makes the plot about characters, which so many games forget to do, with most making it about some piece of tech or grand conspiracy. So many games establish really great characters at the beginning, then just toss them away in favour of a carousel of cardboard cut outs who you end up spending way too much time with.

My biggest pet peeve is the old "Im in debt to some annoying character, so I'll go kill a thousand people he wants me to kill so he doesnt kill me" and then 10 or so times after its been made abundantly clear you'll never be out of this characters debt, because he keeps getting you to kill more and more people, you arbitrarily remember that you're a mass murdering badass and just kill the character.

ILL CLEAR MY NAME AND GET THE CIA OFF MY BACK BY MURDERING 10,000 POLICE OFFICERS

Writing.

I felt like I was going actually insane when GTAV came out and I was going, "Wait a minute... this writing is really bad. Why... Why are people saying this is good?"

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I feel there were tiny amounts of good writing in it.

like I feel I remeber some good writing.

But I can't remember any of it that's good.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

That's all we know.

Writing.

I felt like I was going actually insane when GTAV came out and I was going, "Wait a minute... this writing is really bad. Why... Why are people saying this is good?"

I just saw a little of it, but every review and video I saw had at least one moment that passed my threshold of "Yeah. This sucks."

Didn't see one bit where I went "Heh. Okay, fine. You may do stupid shit, but clearly someone on the staff can write."

• Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

I just saw a little of it, but every review and video I saw had at least one moment that passed my threshold of "Yeah. This sucks."

Didn't see one bit where I went "Heh. Okay, fine. You may do stupid shit, but clearly someone on the staff can write."

The best writing was in all the incidental dialogue and side stuff. Trevor and Michael had some amazing during-mission banter between them, some of the "Freaks" were really funny to deal with... it was just all the scripted stuff during main missions that was awful.

I think the problem for me with GTAV's writing is that the developers really assumed you were just going to take long breaks during missions, and do all the free-roaming random stuff, play mini games, explore the admittedly-awesomely-detailed game world, etc. as opposed to what I did, which was stay mostly focused on the main story, allowing me to have little time between scenes to forget that the writing made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

GTAV was generally* fun to play, but playing it made me somehow respect Saint's Row even more because it was only until I actually played GTAV that I understood just how much Saint's Row was making fun of GTA being up it's own ass.

*Save, you know, that one Trevor mission where I came the closest in my life to just putting a controller down and saying no, I'm not playing this game anymore.

I'm An Elk; Shoot Me on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

That's all we know.

Writing.

The mission where Franklin meets that dog?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    GTAV made me realize just how fantastic GTA4 is, and how V was significantly worse for backing down from all the things that made 4 daring

They took out all the silliness and committed to telling a relatively grounded story about an immigrant becoming disillusioned with American life

GTAV's main flaw besides all the offensive shit is that they didn't commit to anything

They tried to tell a character-based story but couldn't help but back down from actual character traits and developments and instead planted shitty jokes

The best thing to sum up GTAV is that Michael can go to therapy as a sidemission

You don't DO anything there, you just sit and watch a scene of Michael really examining himself and how his actions can be self-destructive and hurt others

And before they hit any moments of real epiphany they stop it short to make a bunch of shitty "therapists are greedy!!!" jokes

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    The peak of the writing in GTAV was Lamar Davis.

• Options
    I don't think gta4's writing was much better

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    The fact that in GTAV NPC's occasionally shout "You look like a tranny!" at female player characters in the online mode puts it pretty fucking firmly on the kill list

Hobnail on
  • Options
    now gta4: the ballad of gay tony that's a video game

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

The best writing was in all the incidental dialogue and side stuff. Trevor and Michael had some amazing during-mission banter between them, some of the "Freaks" were really funny to deal with... it was just all the scripted stuff during main missions that was awful.

I think the problem for me with GTAV's writing is that the developers really assumed you were just going to take long breaks during missions, and do all the free-roaming random stuff, play mini games, explore the admittedly-awesomely-detailed game world, etc. as opposed to what I did, which was stay mostly focused on the main story, allowing me to have little time between scenes to forget that the writing made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

GTAV was generally* fun to play, but playing it made me somehow respect Saint's Row even more because it was only until I actually played GTAV that I understood just how much Saint's Row was making fun of GTA being up it's own ass.

*Save, you know, that one Trevor mission where I came the closest in my life to just putting a controller down and saying no, I'm not playing this game anymore.

Was that
    the torture scene?

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »

Was that
    the torture scene?

Eh. Maybe I'm just jaded, but I have done so much worse then that in other games that I wasn't that bothered.

• Options
    Rockstar doesn't talk much about its writing process, but in my imagination, Lamar is basically like Vaas was revealed to be in Farcry 3 - almost entirely improvised by the actor, and thus untainted by the hacky writers at the helm of a hacky ship. An angel fallen from heaven to land in a shitty script.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i dunno why people talk such a big game about vaas

buck, yes. buck is problematic for a number of reasons that i am well aware of but he's also probably the best side character i have ever encountered in a video game

vaas is just sort of there being craaaaaazy

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    For a video game villain Vaas is pretty good, though

If only because it's a really good performance

• Options
    edited September 2014
    So that new Kotaku article [edit: ugh, can't link, work filter] explains the British accent stuff more, and the basic summation appears to be that the bulk of English-speaking gamers associate "British accent" as the understandable stand-in for "this person is talking in a foreign language"

Which I guess I understand but at the same time seems weird to me; I don't think the ACII block would have been good at all if we didn't have the voices of the characters the way they were.

Edit: okay never mind I'm dumb; it's a blog post from like a month ago so I probably missed this whole conversation three pages back didn't I

I'm An Elk; Shoot Me on
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Yeah I don't think there's exactly a dearth of French actors or those who can at least imitate a serviceable accent.

Veldrin on
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    More info about the progression system and gear customization

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQEocdLSgZ8

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Haha I like that you can just beef up with full plate if you want but there are other penalties

• Options
  • Options
    Honestly, at the end of the day, I'm just going to have equipped what I find the most visually appealing, and even then you can bet your ass it'll be white and red.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    I'm going back and kinda-actually trying to finish AC Liberation.

One thing Edward knew how to do that no other Assassin could come close to: open a chest.

He kicked it, and was done. Everybody else has to stoop over it and fumble around and then the screen flashes.

Please, Arno, loot quickly.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OaZqx_ngc0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mzCGX2q3Z4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DijOXL3elVk

it appears that arno and his mentor are among the prisoners present during the storming of the bastille

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Is that cinematic using the in-game engine? if so holy shit

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

it appears that arno and his mentor are among the prisoners present during the storming of the bastille

So out of the four forgers, two lunatics, and the Comte de Solages (the only prisoners in the Bastille at the time), who are they going to be?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    They are the secret prisoners in the supermax section of the Bastille.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I think in a game where you go back through time using DNA to fight an alien eclipse we can excuse a retcon on the number of prisoners in the Bastille.

Prohass on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

So out of the four forgers, two lunatics, and the Comte de Solages (the only prisoners in the Bastille at the time), who are they going to be?

Lunatics, naturally.

Have you heard half the crap they teach at the Assassin academies? The space alien stuff alone...

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I think in a game where you go back through time using DNA to fight an alien eclipse we can excuse a retcon on the number of prisoners in the Bastille.

NEVER!

*Pushes glasses up nose*

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options

Lunatics, naturally.

Have you heard half the crap they teach at the Assassin academies? The space alien stuff alone...

Nothing is true, everything is permitted, Earth has 4 days in same 24 hours, timecube

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah I would assume they're the lunatics. That just seems logical.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    What was Project Widow even

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    What was Project Widow even

custom streetview of paris with some minor arg elements

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    did you know that noah watts' twitch name is xvBLADERUNNERvx