As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Arrow] The best Batman show without Batman.

• Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    Well, I didn't watch Buffy either. Because I didn't know why they were trying to make a serious drama series out of that silly movie with Donald Sutherland and Pee-wee Herman and I figured it would be terrible.

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Well, I didn't watch Buffy either. Because I didn't know why they were trying to make a serious drama series out of that silly movie with Donald Sutherland and Pee-wee Herman and I figured it would be terrible.

Watch it. The first season is a bit rocky, though. It doesn't become great until season 2. If you liked Avengers you can see where Whedon became who he is today from the show.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, at some point later on i heard everyone loved it, but unfortunately by then my only real contact for all things Buffy was my (now ex) sister in law, and I always thought she had terrible taste (she would later go on to become a big fan of all the Twilight books and movies, for example), so that is why I continued not to watch it. Maybe I will one day, but I can barely keep up with the television I do watch at the moment.

edit: It does make me wonder though, how many people didn't want to watch it because they didn't like the movie, or how many people excitedly tuned into the first episode and said, hey, this isn't anything like the movie! :)

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    If they bring back Hamill, then it needs to be as a retired crook mentor to the new Trickster.

but considering Star Wars filming, I'm skeptical he'd be able to commit to it at this point.

• Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure I'd describe Buffy as serious and I am not entirely sure how it's comparable to Smallville. I guess I don't have a clear recollection of Smallville but I'm pretty sure it was not that funny and did not attempt to be so. Humour was a pretty large part of Buffy. Smallville seemed to be it's own thing and that thing just was not any good. Someone mentioned that super powers don't work on TV and that is especially true with Superman and any opponent that is expected to give Superman trouble.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Kadoken wrote: »
    The real problem with Smallville was that it was a male Buffy the Vampire Slayer ripoff.

You want Supes's early life? Watch the first episode of the animated series. Done.

I think I need you to explain this one to me...

Monster of the Week format with high school kids.

Smartest thing about Arrow? Avoided Monster of the Week.

Arrow had those plenty of times.

Nah, Arrow, especially in S1, had weekly targets, but they all served the overarching narrative. "Monster of the week" specifically refers to the X-Files type phenomena where they investigated random shit to fill the gaps between the arc episodes. I'd say, taken a whole, Arrow S1 had a couple of those at most, out of 20 episodes.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Dritz wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'd describe Buffy as serious and I am not entirely sure how it's comparable to Smallville. I guess I don't have a clear recollection of Smallville but I'm pretty sure it was not that funny and did not attempt to be so. Humour was a pretty large part of Buffy. Smallville seemed to be it's own thing and that thing just was not any good. Someone mentioned that super powers don't work on TV and that is especially true with Superman and any opponent that is expected to give Superman trouble.

Smallville had the Buffy formula: teenager with super-powers in high school that fought monsters of the week and had dating problems. This applies to the early seasons when Clark was in high school, when he left the show found its real voice to distinguish itself. What it lacked was the humor, atmosphere and good scripts. Sometimes Buffy did get really serious when it wanted too, re: "The Body."

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Smallville had its bad episodes and arcs but overall the show was fantastic. Also don't forget they were paying homage to the silver age Superboy series where he did meet Lois and knew Lex while in Smallville.

Plus the show gave us the only live action version of characters that we'll probably ever see like the legion, Booster Gold, and JSA.

Plus the Smallville season 11 comic running right now is the closest thing we have to classic Superman stories in the mostly horrible new 52 dc universe.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I fucking can't stand New 52 superman. Or most of New 52. But Smallville was... not great. It got better when they actually sort of let him be Superman.

But really it was hampered by the same thing that is going to crush Gotham, DC won't let them actually use the damn hero the show is about for fear of spoiling the movies.

Which is, like, a thousand times dumb. Especially since Arrow is so damn great.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Smallville was the show that introduced Deathstroke in live action form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiZJLCVweCY

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    And Arrow's version was so much better.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Smallville's Deathstroke was before the costumed persona from the comics. He was still a military commander at that point.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Smallville's Deathstroke was before the costumed persona from the comics. He was still a military commander at that point.

Wasn't Deathstroke a merc in Justice League, like a decade before he showed up in Smallville?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Oh, the guy from Battlestar Galactica. Though at first I just thought as Deathstroke he looked like John McCain.

It looks like Deathstroke was not in the Justice League or Justice League Unlimited series, though I guess he was in some of the movies. And apparently he appeared in Lois and Clark, but I didn't even realize that was supposed to be him because the only trait that character shared with other incarnations is the name.

v2zAToe.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Oh, the guy from Battlestar Galactica. Though at first I just thought as Deathstroke he looked like John McCain.

It looks like Deathstroke was not in the Justice League or Justice League Unlimited series, though I guess he was in some of the movies. And apparently he appeared in Lois and Clark, but I didn't even realize that was supposed to be him because the only trait that character shared with other incarnations is the name.

It was DC's weird embargo thing, I think. He was the main villain in Teen Titans, so he was banned from JL and JLU.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    DC is weird like that

rather than cross-promote or universe build or whatever

they explicitly tell dudes under their own brand "You cannot use this character"

"Why, does the company not own this character?"

"We do, but you aren't allowed to use them, because they might get used for some other thing and we don't want to confuse the fans or sully the character with appearing on your thing at the same time as this other thing."

The infamous "Bat-Embargo" was one such example. I can't imagine what hoops Arrow's people had to jump through in order to be able to use Ra's al Ghul or have Harley Quinn appear as an unnamed, barely seen cameo.

And it's like, jesus fucking christ, this is your own IP. With Marvel, they have the issue where stuff like the X-Men characters are owned by Fox for the purposes of film and stuff that is Spider-Man related is owned by Sony, so you're not going to see Spidey pop up in the Avengers anytime soon for that reason.

With DC, though, it's all in-house. Nobody owns DC's stuff but DC (and their parent, Time Warner). So any time a character is "forbidden" from appearing in a show or movie it's basically because someone else in the company has got a fucking ego about some project they're working on and is folding their arms and saying no.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I'm think the embargoes only applied to animation. None of the live action stuff had to give anything up but the DCAU had to limit what they did due to the embargo. They couldn't use a lot of Batman characters in JLU, including Harley Quinn, because of "The Batman" animated show that was running on WB and because of Batman Begins. They couldn't use use Aquaman villains in JLU because WB was developing a live action Aquaman pilot.

I believe the embargo is gone now.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    Um excuse me but
    GORILLA GRODD

*gorilla intensifies*

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I'm think the embargoes only applied to animation. None of the live action stuff had to give anything up but the DCAU had to limit what they did due to the embargo. They couldn't use a lot of Batman characters in JLU, including Harley Quinn, because of "The Batman" animated show that was running on WB and because of Batman Begins. They couldn't use use Aquaman villains in JLU because WB was developing a live action Aquaman pilot.

I'm pretty sure the embargoes applied to live action shows as well. Not to beat on the dead horse that is Smallville again, but you better believe that they would have introduced Bruce Wayne or Batman at some point if they were allowed to.

• Options

I'm pretty sure the embargoes applied to live action shows as well. Not to beat on the dead horse that is Smallville again, but you better believe that they would have introduced Bruce Wayne or Batman at some point if they were allowed to.

That's why they bought in Green Arrow.

• Options
    edited September 2014

Exactly. In fact they did introduce 'Bruce Wayne' in Smallville. He showed up in season three and was named Adam Knight (get it haha). They had to quickly change his story when wb pulled the plug on allowing them to use Bruce Wayne. Instead we got the liver serum zombie story and they turned Adam into just another broken psycho that Clark had to stop.

Edit: and yes the embargo is why they brought in Green Arrow and basically made him the Smallville universes Batman. Their relationship was even the same as Bruce and Superman's. They did finally introduce Batman into the Smallville universe in the second arc of season 11 though.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Yeah, WB/DC is pretty incompetent in general. Any good shows or movies based on DC properties are due almost entirely on the creators involved. The WB execs have only hindered the talented people and hurt their efforts.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    So, it turns out I might be completely wrong about Supergirl, it's being made by Greg Berlanti and his production company, and they're the same people behind Arrow and the Flash, which regardless of the fact that it's on CBS rather than the CW would mean it would be shocking to me if it wasn't in the same universe as Arrow and they wouldn't cross-promote it. Berlanti is a smart dude and he makes good shit, so whatever.

Faith somewhat renewed?

• Options
    Pony wrote: »
    So, it turns out I might be completely wrong about Supergirl, it's being made by Greg Berlanti and his production company, and they're the same people behind Arrow and the Flash, which regardless of the fact that it's on CBS rather than the CW would mean it would be shocking to me if it wasn't in the same universe as Arrow and they wouldn't cross-promote it. Berlanti is a smart dude and he makes good shit, so whatever.

Faith somewhat renewed?

Awesome. The only reason I'd see them not crossing over was if CBS and the CW don't get on. I feel like there must be some connection, the CW shows reruns of CBS comedies constantly.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    The CW Television Network (The CW) is an American broadcast television network that launched on September 18, 2006. It is a limited liability joint venture[2] between CBS Corporation, the former owners of the United Paramount Network (UPN), and Time Warner subsidiary Warner Bros. Entertainment, former majority owner of The WB Television Network. The "CW" name is derived from the first letters of the names of these corporations (CBS and Warner Bros.).

Boom. Probably just dropping Supes to the big leagues.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I keep seeing a Constantine-Arrow crossover in my head.

Arrow has to deal with a dude from Constantine's neighborhood.

Ollie shoots a demon and he just keeps coming and Ollie's like "What the fuck!?".

Then Constantine comes in and saves him at the last minute, and he says "Put holy water on your arrows" and I'm like "Sweet"

Then they go and deal with a bunch a demons and be rad.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I keep seeing a Constantine-Arrow crossover in my head.

Arrow has to deal with a dude from Constantine's neighborhood.

Ollie shoots a demon and he just keeps coming and Ollie's like "What the fuck!?".

Then Constantine comes in and saves him at the last minute, and he says "Put holy water on your arrows" and I'm like "Sweet"

Then they go on a date with a bunch a demons and be rad.

This is what I read.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Ollie deals with demons all the time, god knows Laurel sucks the joy right out of any episode (also double joke since she played a demon on supernatural).

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Nevermind, just noticed the other thread...

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    You know, I've decided that I'm okay with Laurel being Canary. Provided Sarah steps up and gets a GL ring.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    Thanks to netflix I managed to catch season 1 of Arrow. It started off a little rusty and clunky at times, but what a finale! I am really impressed. It might not be the most innovative or deepest show, but it is just so well-done. Can't wait for season 2 to land.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    I'm about halfway through season 2 and it is so very good. Just finished the two Barry Allen episodes last night.

Not happy about what happened with Count Vertigo, but that's mostly because I love the actor who played him. Loved him in Fringe too.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Its for the best Brainiac we get a new Count this season played by Peter Stormare.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I don't know, I kind of liked the way over the top Vertigo, even if he was completely unrecognizable from the only previous version of the character I was familiar with from Young Justice.

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Clancy Brown is apparently going to have a recurring villain role on the Flash.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Clancy Brown is apparently going to have a recurring villain role on the Flash.

Fuck.

YES.

I fucking love Clancy Brown. Shawshank, Superman: TAS, Justice League, fucking HIGHLANDER 1!

He was the perfect Lex Luthor.

• Options
    He's going to be General Eiling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbqf201kkaM

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    What days are the debuts again? I probably need to go ahead and set up my seasons on Amazon now I suppose.

• Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    DC is weird like that

rather than cross-promote or universe build or whatever

they explicitly tell dudes under their own brand "You cannot use this character"

"Why, does the company not own this character?"

"We do, but you aren't allowed to use them, because they might get used for some other thing and we don't want to confuse the fans or sully the character with appearing on your thing at the same time as this other thing."

The infamous "Bat-Embargo" was one such example. I can't imagine what hoops Arrow's people had to jump through in order to be able to use Ra's al Ghul or have Harley Quinn appear as an unnamed, barely seen cameo.

And it's like, jesus fucking christ, this is your own IP. With Marvel, they have the issue where stuff like the X-Men characters are owned by Fox for the purposes of film and stuff that is Spider-Man related is owned by Sony, so you're not going to see Spidey pop up in the Avengers anytime soon for that reason.

With DC, though, it's all in-house. Nobody owns DC's stuff but DC (and their parent, Time Warner). So any time a character is "forbidden" from appearing in a show or movie it's basically because someone else in the company has got a fucking ego about some project they're working on and is folding their arms and saying no.

DC really needs their own Kevin Feige. Somebody who's got their shit together and knows how to unify and cross-promote their characters.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
This discussion has been closed.