As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Malifaux]2 Ed- Ripples of Fate! Victorian Horror skirmishgame

• Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    I feel like I picked the perfect time to get into Malifaux. Lots of awesome wave 1 plastics already out, and wave 2 coming up fast, as well as all the gencon excitement. And, not having any experience from earlier versions, everything is new and exciting!

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    It's a TEDDY!

wyrd-games.net/community/topic/102501-miss-ery/

BadTeddy.png

BadTeddyRender.png

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    It looks like the Dreamer's box is him, Chompy, 3 Alps, and I would ASSUME 3 Daydreams totems.

If that's the case I REALLY hope they have Stitched Together and Insidious Madnesses available as well.

That's definitely a Coppernuleus (you know what I mean) in the art there as well. Is it not in?

• Options
    I love it! Not that it matters since I plan to get both, but game-wise does Teddy fit well with the Dreamer? I do have No Shelter, and if I remember right there was some rules synergy between Teddy and Baby Kade I believe.

• Options
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    It looks like the Dreamer's box is him, Chompy, 3 Alps, and I would ASSUME 3 Daydreams totems.

If that's the case I REALLY hope they have Stitched Together and Insidious Madnesses available as well.

That's definitely a Coppernuleus (you know what I mean) in the art there as well. Is it not in?

Coppelius is in there too, sorry forgot about that.

He's TERRRRRRRRIFIC! And the Alps compliment him well (and not just because he can make them by eating eyeballs).

I'm not huge on his new sculpt/ art, though, I prefer the old one. We'll see.

• Options
    I love it! Not that it matters since I plan to get both, but game-wise does Teddy fit well with the Dreamer? I do have No Shelter, and if I remember right there was some rules synergy between Teddy and Baby Kade I believe.

Oh yeah, Teddy is a Nightmare, so he benefits from all The Dreamer's buffs and healing. He's really the backup beatstick when Chompy is away.

• Options
    Are any of you guys going to GenCon?

• Options
    edited August 2014
    I'm totally running both plastic Teddy's in a summoner-Dreamer list.

50 stones:
    2 stones in cache for 4 total- Dreamer- Dreams of Pain (5 stones), Otherworldly (1 Stone)
    3 Daydreams
    8 stones- Coppelius- Mimic's Blessing (1 stone)
    11 stones- Teddy
    11 stones- Teddy
    8 stones- Widow Weaver

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

No-Quarter on
  • Options

Yes, Kade and Teddy have Synergy, Kade can Teleport into base with teddy and then push him. Teddy can push models with his Melee trigger into Kade's melee range to trigger pounce- and you'll get bonus damage due to teddy being engaging. Teddy is good PERIOD, Kade is good PERIOD. They both work great with Dreamer. Teddy has good Pandora synergies too due to Wp duels.

@ForceVoid‌ No Gencon for me, a friend may pickup for me tho!

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I... I don't like that Teddy. I don't know why. :\

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I went to my FLGS to grab Teddy and an Arsenal deck, only to discover that they sold out of Teddys really, really fast. I've got about another month wait when they (optimistically) get their next shipment in.

So instead I grabbed the Nephilim box, which is probably the better purchase anyway since I've got Lilith.

• Options
    All the GenCon releases have been announced:
    http://wyrd-games.net/community/page/index.html/_/wyrd-news/gen-con-2014-r34

Hmm, totaling up what I want to get, it looks like I'm at just over $200. Depending on how much shipping is, I wonder if I should split into 2 orders for 2 teddies ...

I think I will actually wait on the Crossroads book itself, since I think that will be available at a discount online sooner rather than later (unfortunately, no FLGS in Syracuse carry Malifaux so I need to order online from somewhere regardless).

• Options
    I wonder if the multiplayer scenarios in the Strat/Scheme deck are the ones from Chronicles.

• Options
    All the GenCon releases have been announced:
    http://wyrd-games.net/community/page/index.html/_/wyrd-news/gen-con-2014-r34

Hmm, totaling up what I want to get, it looks like I'm at just over $200. Depending on how much shipping is, I wonder if I should split into 2 orders for 2 teddies ...

I think I will actually wait on the Crossroads book itself, since I think that will be available at a discount online sooner rather than later (unfortunately, no FLGS in Syracuse carry Malifaux so I need to order online from somewhere regardless).

The book has stories and specific scenarios for every master in the game.

• Options
    Oh wow, that's cool.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    I will definitely be getting the book (love fluff in particular), but my thought is that it will probably see a release sooner than most of the boxes that will be for sale during gencon. So, impatient as I am for adding models to my painting backlog, I figured I'd get the shiny new toys first.

EDIT: I think I will definitely be getting Nightmare Whiskey Golem, The Kin, Hide and Seek, Hoarcat Pride, and Doppleganger. I am tempted to get Hired Swords and/or Bound by Law ... anyone give any good reasons why those are cool (outside of the models)?

UreshiiAkuma on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The upside to not being at Gencon is that I can spend the plane ticket and hotel money on plastic.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Lucius is dual faction Neverborn, with a strong connection to the "mimic" keyword. Pretty interesting for the Guild's prime bureaucrat.

Isn't that reason enough?

Also, Ronins and Taylor rock hard, so having more of those are great.

In short, buy all the things.

Neurotika on
  • Options
    Silly me, I meant Hired Guns, not Hired Swords :open_mouth:
    I didn't notice Lucius was dual faction. I really do like the implications that connections with "mimic" keyword have. Especially with the Doppleganger's fluff saying something along the lines of "The guild have extensive tests to weed out dopplegangers. However, it is unknown if they are actually effective."

Dammit, I guess I may have to buy all the things!

• Options
    Lucius also has strong affinity with the Guardsman keyword.

That's Daschel, Guild Guard, Riflemen, Austringers, the Warden (construct), and tI think that's it.

Mimic's are Lawyers, Doppleganger, Candy, and the Scribe.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    So Miss Ery has grown on me since I saw it. Also my fiancee thinks it's cute. So now I'm looking at ordering from Gencon to get it. Probably going to grab Crossroads, Hide and Seek and the new Schemes and Strategies deck, which comes to $110.

I put the Nephilim box together last night. That one holding the head holds the record for being the most obnoxiously annoying model to build. That head was so fucking hard to get between the hands, and also glued in place.

Also, for a digitally sculpted model, the Mature Nephilim has horrendous gaps between the torso pieces. Going to be doing a lot of filling with liquid green stuff. But wow what a model.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    All right, all right, all right.

I sat here last night and today and painted an entire model. A terror tot. End to end. Dullcoted and I'm about to apply some gnarly blood effects.

Two thoughts.

1. Awesome. I've never painted a model that fast to a level I've been happy with.
    2. I remember a comment on Dakka about older painters liking models with less detail because 'they paint up a treat'. I can now understand that point of view. This model is comparable to my Infinity models, which have loads more detail but take me upwards of a week or two to get to a level I like because of the absolute fucktons of detail everywhere.

Once it's blood soaked and evil looking, I'll post some photos. But this bodes well for my foray into Malifaux.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Low detail is great because you can focus on highlighting and shading the big open areas that actually make a model look good from tabletop distance, rather than spending a ton of time painting up tiny doohickeys you don't see unless you're staring at it.

• Options
    Terror Tot!

636713_sm-.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2014
    All three Terror Tots!

I had an absolute blast painting these guys.

Basic look I was going for with each one.

On the far left, he's just swiped at some poor goon and gone right through the gut, spraying him with a line of blood that's splattered on the ground as well.

Middle guy is basically a blender. He's been blending guys.

Far right is stalking someone after quietly and cleanly dual shiving someone in the back, with only a little splashback.

637033_sm-.jpg

-Loki- on
  • Options
    I managed to assemble one of Skeeters from Sommer's crew. It was ... not as bad as I feared from reports I had heard. I mean, I was extra careful since everything was crazy thin and looked like it'd break at a stiff twig. But the assembly itself went well. Now I need to decide how to base it, since it doesn't sit nicely on its 30mm base.

• Options
    Signed up for the Achievement League at GenCon again this year. Just a chill envornment to play and watch lots of Malifaux. Also, finishing up construction on a few extra models to round out my Lynch crew.

The Depleted look like great speed bumps to tie up models until The Illuminated/Graves get up in their grills. Has anyone used Tannen, I'm curious how well he functions on the table. Is he hard to keep alive, or is his sole purpose to be an annoyance that requires attention from the other player?

Traditionally, I've run this at 50:
    Jakob Lynch - Expert Cheater
    Hungering Darkness - Fears Given Form (Just throw him at the enemy and let his self healing+fears tie them up)
    Beckoner x2
    Doppleganger
    The Illuminated x3

But, I'm thinking about this:
    Jakob - Expert Cheater
    Hungering Darkness
    Beckoner
    Doppleganger
    Mr. Graves
    The Depleted x2
    The Illuminated x2

Gives me an extra activation and more durability.

• Options
    Also, I hope I can get a game in with (beta rules) aLevi. Not a huge fan of regular Levi, but the 4+1 Horseman vibe really speaks to me.

It's not a great list, but I enjoy playing it.

• Options
    Awesome, have fun!

Is there a good place for catching up on the lore of Malifaux, or does it involve reading through all the old books? I ask because I was reading a thread on Wyrd Place about Tyrants; all I really know is from the stories in 2E (particularly the Perdita / Sonnia guild story), but there was a lot of info tidbits in that thread that would be cool to read about.

• Options
    You might be able to pick up the old books fairly cheap used.

• Options
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Signed up for the Achievement League at GenCon again this year. Just a chill envornment to play and watch lots of Malifaux. Also, finishing up construction on a few extra models to round out my Lynch crew.

The Depleted look like great speed bumps to tie up models until The Illuminated/Graves get up in their grills. Has anyone used Tannen, I'm curious how well he functions on the table. Is he hard to keep alive, or is his sole purpose to be an annoyance that requires attention from the other player?

Traditionally, I've run this at 50:
    Jakob Lynch - Expert Cheater
    Hungering Darkness - Fears Given Form (Just throw him at the enemy and let his self healing+fears tie them up)
    Beckoner x2
    Doppleganger
    The Illuminated x3

But, I'm thinking about this:
    Jakob - Expert Cheater
    Hungering Darkness
    Beckoner
    Doppleganger
    Mr. Graves
    The Depleted x2
    The Illuminated x2

Gives me an extra activation and more durability.

The second list has a bit more versatility. The dopple can Lure if you need to.

• Options
    I've been advised to not order Crossroads from the Gencon sale since it jacks up postage a lot, which is a fair enough idea. So instead I'm looking to grab two starters, probably Dreamer and Pandora, since I can never manage to find the Pandora starter here when I actually have the money for it.

That leaves me $5 short of Miss Ery, though. What would be the better buy. I'm looking at either the schemes and strategies deck to make gameplay a bit easier, or another single models like a normal Teddy or a Doppleganger. I'm leaning to the schemes and strategies deck right now.

• Options
    Get the deck. I printed one out and it improves the pre-game setup 100%.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »
    Get the deck. I printed one out and it improves the pre-game setup 100%.

This, a thousand times this.

• Options
    Also I printed a second one out and I'm still going to buy a deck.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Roger roger.

I had a feeling the deck would be the better buy, and should have guessed after the horribleness of flipping through the 40k rulebook a few dozen times per game to see objective rules during the game.

Nearly got the Cherub finished, and Barbaros has been started. I'm thinking I might have Barbaros done before the weekend, then start Lilith. I'm having my first game next weekend. This might be the first time in the history of ever that I play my first game of something with a fully painted list that I painted myself. In fact, the first game in about 6 years where I've had everything painted at all!

-Loki- on
  • Options
    I'm planning on getting my second game in this weekend; I'll be traveling to visit family, and plan on playing my brother. He picked up a Lady J crew after I described how awesome the game and models were to him :smiling_imp: He likes Wild West themed things, so Guild in particular seems a good fit.
    I plan on bringing my Vik crew; we will be playing 26 SS so that we can use Masters but still keep model count down a little.
    I handmade some summary sheets with the info I was looking up the most from my previous games. In addition to having the sheet, the process of making it helped reinforce some of the rules in my mind.
    I also drew and cut out a bunch of 2D cardstock terrain so I don't have to worry about transporting lot. The nice thing about that is I just wrote the traits on all the terrain!

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Looks like GenCon is up for ordering. At least I just spent a bunch of $$$ :open_mouth:

WYR21015 Nightmare Edition Whiskey Golem $60.00 1 $60.00
    WYR20507 Hannah - Chief Freikorps Archivist $35.00 1 $35.00
    WYR20610 Warpig $18.00 1 $18.00
    WYR20108 Bound by Law - Lucius Box Set $50.00 1 $50.00
    WYR20408 Hide and Seek - Dreamer Box Set $50.00 1 $50.00
    WYR20313 Hoarcat Pride $16.00 1 $16.00
    WYR20412 Doppleganger $11.00 1 $11.00
    WYR20010 Scheme & Strategy Deck
    WYR20602 The Kin - Ophelia Box Set

I didn't quite buy all the things, but I bought enough! I thought about splitting orders for more than 1 Miss Ery, but it looks like the shipping scales so that it'd cost more than one big order, and I only want/need 1 Miss Ery.

UreshiiAkuma on
  • Options
    So just played a game with the new Tara crew upgrades that got spoiled and omg what a difference.

The Nothing Beast's upgrade allows you to use the Void triggers to continually Bury models as opposed to just 1 a turn, and you can discard the upgrade to negate the damage from an attack, effectively giving him more wounds to boot.

We don't have the exact text on Karina's but according to Ratty it allows two things- one you take Guild Autopsies in Outcasts or the Void Wretches and Nothing Beast in Ressers (yay you don't always need Dead of Winter!). The other lets her summon Horror models (!)- Casts on a 5, target is 10+ the cost of the model and you need crows of course, and she's an enforcer so you can burn stones. The models doesn't have slow when it comes in, but at the end of the turn it Buries, gains slow, and takes half its damage in wounds. It can't unbury without Tara using her summon. It' still really really good. And since Karina has Accomplice, you could say, summon a Punk Zombie and then ram it into your enemies' face. oh.... and the best part? It's range 6" and you don't need a corpse.... :D

• Options
    Gencon order placed. Made another change - swapped the strategy deck and Pandora for the Whiskey Golem. Because it's limited, and I've had a real urge to buy Ophelias crew, so I'll get to use it. So Dreamer, Whiskey Golem and free Miss Ery. I like that haul.