As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Versailles on the Potomac (and Hudson): The American Political Media

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/23/entertainment/tiny-doo-rap-conspiracy-charges/index.html
    Song lyrics that glorify violence are hardly uncommon. But a prosecutor in California says one rapper's violent lyrics go beyond creative license to conspiracy.

San Diego-based rapper Tiny Doo has already spent eight months in prison, and faces 25 years to life in prison if convicted under a little-known California statute that makes it illegal to benefit from gang activities.

The statute in question is California Penal Code 182.5. The code makes it a felony for anyone to participate in a criminal street gang, have knowledge that a street gang has engaged in criminal activity, or benefit from that activity.

It's that last part -- benefiting from criminal activity -- that prosecutors are going after the rapper for.

Tiny Doo, whose real name is Brandon Duncan, faces nine counts of criminal street gang conspiracy because prosecutors allege he and 14 other alleged gang members increased their stature and respect following a rash of shootings in the city in 2013.

Prosecutors point to Tiny Doo's album, "No Safety," and to lyrics like "Ain't no safety on this pistol I'm holding" as examples of a "direct correlation to what the gang has been doing."

No one suggests the rapper ever actually pulled a trigger.

In fact, Duncan may rap about violence but he's got no criminal record.

Duncan told CNN's Don Lemon he's just "painting a picture of urban street life" with his lyrics.

"The studio is my canvas. I'm just painting a picture," he said. "I'm not telling anybody to go out and kill somebody."

He denied any involvement with any gang but said the prosecution has him concerned about future creative expression.

"I would love to continue to rap," he said. "But these people have you scared to do anything around here."

Prosecutors say lyrics aren't the only evidence they have. At Duncan's preliminary hearing, they presented social media posts that they say prove Duncan is still a gang member.

CNN Legal Analyst Mark Geragos says the district attorney may be trying to send a message "that you shouldn't glorify or glamorize gang activity."

"The problem is you're going to run straight head-on into the First Amendment," he said. "If they don't have anything other than the album, this case I don't think would ever stand up."

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    We're. So. Fucked.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Trace wrote: »
    The statute in question is California Penal Code 182.5. The code makes it a felony for anyone to participate in a criminal street gang, have knowledge that a street gang has engaged in criminal activity, or benefit from that activity.
    Holy hell, that's one screwed up law. "We can't charge you with an actual crime, because you didn't commit one, so we'll charge you with having criminals as passing acquaintances, and that'll be a felony too, because associating with criminals is worse than being one". I knew California laws were screwed up, but man, they don't need to keep proving it all the time.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    it totally ignores in plenty of places simply living on a certain street makes you by default a member of a gang.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    That'sthe kinds of laws you get when 1) you don't have a super-majority and 2) people think being 'tough on crime' is more important than how to address the causes of it.

Way to go!

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    That'sthe kinds of laws you get when 1) you don't have a super-majority and 2) people think being 'tough on crime' is more important than how to address the causes of it.

Way to go!

I think it's one of those laws that was written with good intentions, but also loosely defined in order to give law enforcement broad discretion in how it's used. (A terrible idea if there ever was one.) It's supposed to be used against hard criminals pushing gang violence, not some poor nobody writing rap lyrics. I'm curious how this guy even fell under the state's microscope, as it really looks like they just surfed Facebook looking for someone to charge. Edit: According to the state he was a documented gang member who posted a facebook picture of himself with several men accused of murder. He has no criminal record. What's even sadder is that this poor bastard has already done 8 months in prison and he hasn't even had a trial. A trial that will most definitely get the charges thrown out if all they have is facebook posts and vague lyrics. Me thinks they're just trying to smoke him into pleading.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    It kind of looks like someone's trying to make an example of him.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Laws should never be written using vague terms to allow for broad enforcement. That's about the shittiest goddamned thing possible.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

Which really begs the question of why if the prosecutors have actual shooters to charge, they're wasting any time on this guy? Maybe to get him to talk?

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

Which really begs the question of why if the prosecutors have actual shooters to charge, they're wasting any time on this guy? Maybe to get him to talk?

Because going after actual hardened criminals is more dangerous than going after people that talk about those criminals.

Plus they are, much more often than not, just killing other criminals or the occasional poor inner city dweller. If one of those shooters walked into a suburb and popped a soccer mom or off-duty cop it would be different.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Also how that relates to the American political media. I mean it's thread worthy or could be stuffed in the policing thread maybe.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I don't know about the police thread since it is more an issue of terrible lawmaking.

Prison thread, maybe? Is it enough to justify its own?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    The way the media likes to itemize every violent video game a kid plays when some kid goes crazy, or the talking heads like to blame the rap music for inner city violence, the media thread may not be the worst place for it. If it generates enough genuine discussion and not a meta discussion on where it belongs, then a separate thread would be warranted.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The law is in place because it allows law enforcement to go after the ring leaders who might not have direct ties to the gang. Kind of how they got Capone with tax evasion.

They're going after Duncan because either they believe is an important part of the gang or they believe he can flip and tell them about the gang. That being said, if all they have is the lyrics they're going to lose and really should not have tried. I suspect that we will find out that they have more than the lyrics.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    The law is in place because it allows law enforcement to go after the ring leaders who might not have direct ties to the gang. Kind of how they got Capone with tax evasion.

They're going after Duncan because either they believe is an important part of the gang or they believe he can flip and tell them about the gang. That being said, if all they have is the lyrics they're going to lose and really should not have tried. I suspect that we will find out that they have more than the lyrics.

Maybe, but human capacity for stupidity, dickishness, etc. is basically unlimited.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    they might lose but they've already locked the dude up for 8 fucking months because he made an album

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    they might lose but they've already locked the dude up for 8 fucking months because he made an album

This is what gets me. Stupid laws happen. They're inevitable if only cause of people. But a speedy trial should have wrapped that up in a few days. There's zero good reason for him to not have been in front of a judge yet.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »

This is what gets me. Stupid laws happen. They're inevitable if only cause of people. But a speedy trial should have wrapped that up in a few days. There's zero good reason for him to not have been in front of a judge yet.

Actually, why hasn't his lawyer demanded his release under the right to speedy trial?

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Actually, why hasn't his lawyer demanded his release under the right to speedy trial?

It looks like he's one of twenty five accused gang members on trial. The prosecution asserts that there is evidence that shows this person was an active member of the gang at the time of the alleged crimes.

Who knows tho. If it was solely the album I would be inclined to think that this would have been thrown out some time ago as his attorney appears competent.

I guess we'll see at trial.

• Options
    jmcdonald wrote: »

It looks like he's one of twenty five accused gang members on trial. The prosecution asserts that there is evidence that shows this person was an active member of the gang at the time of the alleged crimes.

Who knows tho. If it was solely the album I would be inclined to think that this would have been thrown out some time ago as his attorney appears competent.

8 months is still excessive, and seems like a clear violation of the constitution - has there even been a bail hearing yet?

• Options

8 months is still excessive, and seems like a clear violation of the constitution - has there even been a bail hearing yet?

Million dollar bond. So yes.

• Options

WTF. That seems rather grossly disproportionate.

• Options

That's because he's fucking Al Capone.

• Options

Flight risk?

I dunno. It is pretty goddamned high yeah.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

Hi, I would like to introduce you to the criminal justice system. Or as I like to call it, The land that lady liberty forgot.

There are a lot of problems with it, and just about every solution involves getting rid of the tough on crime mentality, so good fucking luck getting anything done about it.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Veevee wrote: »

Hi, I would like to introduce you to the criminal justice system. Or as I like to call it, The land that lady liberty forgot.

There are a lot of problems with it, and just about every solution involves getting rid of the tough on crime mentality, so good fucking luck getting anything done about it.

A Google link? With nothing else?

Yeah. The criminal justice system has some issues. Don't see anyone disagreeing with that. Million dollar bond seems pretty high. Don't see anyone disagreeing with that. Eight months is a long time to wait for trial. Yep, no disagreement there.

Edit

Also, it appears that his bail was reduced to 50000 and he posted and is now awaiting trial.

Edit 2

Removed some snark

jmcdonald on
  • Options
    Hm, it's about time to replace the thread. Any suggestions for the new title?

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

Wont do nothing about it because cop unions are power brokers and politicians are scared shitless of losing power.

I don't even want to imagine the horrific thing that would have to happen to get politicians to even consider it.

Don't even bring up the fact that other first world nations have a fraction of our recidivism rate because they actually treat criminals as human beings and, *gasp*, rehabilitates them.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Hm, it's about time to replace the thread. Any suggestions for the new title?

"New year, new scandals, but the same American political news media, that still fails"

I admit that might be a bit too long.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    "always looking for the next Malaysian jetliner"

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    "An obscure inside joke that AngelHedgie thinks we should all understand implicitly"

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    "Charlie Pierce love fest"

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    "Fiddling while the knockoff Rome burns"

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »

This has my support. It covers what the APM is actually doing.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    "Obama the Benghazi: Like Hitler, But Worse"

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options

"Watching Nero Fiddle" seems more analogous.

• Options

"Watching Nero Fiddle" seems more analogous.

I like this general theme, but how about:

"Covering Nero's Fiddling While Rome Burns?"

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    "Nero's Fiddling Causes Rome To Burn? We're Just Asking Questions"

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    "Nero's Fiddling Causes Rome To Burn? We're Just Asking Questions"

"Is Rome burning a cover from the liberal agenda? Some say yes."

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The media formerly known as the 4th estate.

wbBv3fj.png
This discussion has been closed.