As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why are we not talking about [Legal Marijuana] in multiple states and now for Vets?

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Even here in Wyoming, though, something like 75% of the people in the state support medicinal marijuana, and just under 60% support recreational. And this state is as red as it gets. The attitudes about marijuana have shifted dramatically in the last decade or so, and it's also basically free tax money for no effort, and creates a whole new industry to be exploited. Even a virulently right-wing administration can't find enough good reasons to stymie legalization efforts forever.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Even here in Wyoming, though, something like 75% of the people in the state support medicinal marijuana, and just under 60% support recreational. And this state is as red as it gets. The attitudes about marijuana have shifted dramatically in the last decade or so, and it's also basically free tax money for no effort, and creates a whole new industry to be exploited. Even a virulently right-wing administration can't find enough good reasons to stymie legalization efforts forever.

Sure. But it's really, really easy to enforce the laws we have now. At the very least, it's easy to crush recreational use. I don't think the political cost is all that high either, even if weed has strong support even in conservative areas. Because it's not a terribly effective wedge issue.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Holy shit, ( and of course I can't find it on youtube now, because didn't catch what party it was from)

I just saw a straight up reefer madness level of misinformation anti marijuana ad on one of the american channels up here.

Like cars smashing into each other in the streets, "hippie pothead" stereotypes walking up to this ladies kid and handing her bags of dope , etc

with a " This is what will happen if it's legal" message
    was fucking crazy.

edit: found it
    https://youtu.be/oycBIQ_aT78

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    I like how Trump will basically have to increase federal spending for a government agency, prevent states from handling it themselves, and fuck over businesses to accomplish a crackdown on legal weed. It's extremely ironic. If this was anything else, you'd think Trump would be on our side.

Though it's entirely consistent given how he's pandered to his voters up until now. That missed tax revenue must become pretty enticing at some point, and if he's going to slash taxes like he promised then it would be the right place to compromise.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Holy shit, ( and of course I can't find it on youtube now, because didn't catch what party it was from)

I just saw a straight up reefer madness level of misinformation anti marijuana ad on one of the american channels up here.

Like cars smashing into each other in the streets, "hippie pothead" stereotypes walking up to this ladies kid and handing her bags of dope , etc

was fucking crazy.

In fairness, edibles that look like candy are mildly concerning to me. Very mildly.

The rest is ridiculous. From the opening imagery...make it a skeezy looking liquor store instead of having a pot leaf on the window and it's perfectly legal. To the stats...of course marijuana DUIs go up when it's legal, but without knowing the rate I can't know whether I care. And more pot shops than McDonald's and Starbuck's? Good!

So dumb.

And if that kid at the end is under 21, report them for not carding him. Problem solved, and right back to the "if it was a liquor store, this is no different today" argument.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Accidents involving drivers under the influence of marijuana tend to be less fatal than ones involving drunk drivers, for what it's worth.

Having said that, don't drive stoned yo it's a bad idea and it's stressful.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Actually, with what I've heard about how much he hates tobacco and alcohol I've been wondering if he could have those drugs put onto the schedule list. It'd be a terrible idea politically, sure, but when has that ever stopped him?

• Options
    Ah but alcohol and tobacco companies have waaaaay more money than the marijuana lobby.

• Options
    Another thing that I realized

Look at the size of the bag that kid comes out with, I want that dispensary!

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    I think it's a way early to be fear mongering about what Trump will or won't do, since he hasn't even named an attorney general yet.

It's like the panic on financial boards about what to do about Trump, even though the reality is that nothing happened for the stock market - it was just a normal day as far as the Dow Jones or S&P500 was concerned.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Another thing that I realized

Look at the size of the bag that kid comes out with, I want that dispensary!

You should see the size of the bag of chips he bought!

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I think Trump has a lot on his plate and weed won't be an issue he cares about

he's got a country to ruin by taking away healthcare and deporting 30 million people

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

was fucking crazy.

edit: found it
    https://youtu.be/oycBIQ_aT78

This is a dumb ad but the making edibles look like candy is something that makes me kinda go "ehhh, bad idea"

The potency thing is something I think is an issue though. Shit has gotten crazy since I last smoked apparently. Stuff that lasts 24-48 hour are thing now I guess?

That's not a reason to not legalize or anything, it's just something that I think should be regulated because it strikes me as a pretty fucking terrible idea.

• Options
    I just get baffled by the whole " omg legalized dispensaries, your kids are totally gonna get in there"

like, what? there'll be like ID-ing and everything else just like with alcohol ( which if anything is getting close to the as many liquor stores as mcdonalds, at least up here)

What, you think the street dealers were avoiding children?

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    I just get baffled by the whole " omg legalized dispensaries, your kids are totally gonna get in there"

like, what? there'll be like ID-ing and everything else just like with alcohol ( which if anything is getting close to the as many liquor stores as mcdonalds, at least up here)

What, you think the street dealers were avoiding children?

Or was the dealer themselves. Suburban teens love to sell a small bit so they smoke for free.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    This is the one thing I'm not that worried about as it would go against all his other policies that are basically "fuck it, let states do what they want", but I mean - It's Trump.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    This is the one thing I'm not that worried about as it would go against all his other policies that are basically "fuck it, let states do what they want", but I mean - It's Trump.

and Pence.

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular

But maybe racism will turn out to be the missing ingredient!

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    "Let the states do what they want, until they start disagreeing with what we want, in which case they can't." Which has usually been the policy, really.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Mahnmut wrote: »

But maybe racism will turn out to be the missing ingredient!

Most of the states with it legal are mostly white (Washington, Maine, Massachusetts, Oregon). That said, they're also Demo, so maybe the missing ingredient is partisan hate?

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Well, at least if Trump goes after marijuana he'll mobilize apathetic privileged children (as in, 18-25 year olds) into fucking voting next time

override367 on
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    I don't really believe that Trump will leave all that legal pot tax money sitting on the table. He is a "business man", after all.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Konphujun wrote: »
    I don't really believe that Trump will leave all that legal pot tax money sitting on the table. He is a "business man", after all.

The only way he knows how to run a business is into the fucking ground.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    You can't even get through the front door of dispensaries in Oregon without showing ID. Also, the potency argument is silly. I'm sorry, the only way you're staying high for 48 hours is if you eat a pan of brownies made with 25+% THC stuff. And I do mean the entire fucking pan, at which point your bigger problem isn't being high, it's throwing up from all the sugar you just ate. Also in Oregon we are no longer allowed to make candy-fun-looking edibles, and we aren't allowed to call strains of weed things like "Girlscout Cookies" (it's just "GC" now).

As far as Trump, I honestly think he does nothing with legal weed. Enough states have done it now that even if he tried it would be tied up in court for years as states sued of their right to legalize and frankly I just don't think it's an issue that's even on his radar. I don't think I heard him say a word about it during the election, though I obviously didn't listen to all the great words he vomits from his mouth.

I would worry much more about the damage he's going to do to healthcare and the economy if he gets some of his more extreme policies pushed through.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Well, the fears seem to have been somewhat confirmed. The administration seems to view medical marijuana as a settled issue but will have the DoJ take some unknown-as-of-yet action against recreational use.
    “The president understands the pain and suffering that many people go through who are facing, especially terminal diseases, and the comfort that some of these drugs, including medical marijuana, can bring to them,” Spicer told reporters.

Spicer said that state’s allowance of marijuana for recreational purposes “ is something the Department of Justice, I think, will be further looking into.”

Spicer further implied that marijuana is a contributing factor to the opioid addiction epidemic. Further details are scarce but it sure seems like Jeff Sessions remains incredibly anti-pot.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    With the influence Sessions and Bannon have on Trump as well as the revocation of Obama's rule on federal use of private prisons... yeah, things don't look great.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »
    With the influence Sessions and Bannon have on Trump as well as the revocation of Obama's rule on federal use of private prisons... yeah, things don't look great.

Someone needs to do an analysis of states that voted against Trump and states that have legal weed. My guess is Sessions hates weed and Trump hates people who didn't vote for him. Goes together like a baby carriage.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Places where recreational marijuana is legal as of the first of the year: (note: not all of these states have implemented the legalization)

Alaska
    California
    Colorado
    Maine
    Massachusetts
    Nevada
    Oregon
    Washington
    Washington, DC

The only one that went for Trump was Alaska.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Trace wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I dislike playing politics with something that is factually proven to have health benefits for a -large- amount of people in this country and that has caused a large amount of suffering via a justice system that for years disproportionately punished people who had any amount of marijuana on their person with lengthy and unjustified prison sentences.

Sure, but fuck up and lose this election and you could see a decade of progress get rolled back.

Trump isn't going to win. That much is certain by now.

Ha ha hahahahahahaha

Sorry saw all the new posts (likely from today's little reveal that surprise, surprise Jeff Fuckin Sessions is coming after recreational weed) and came back in to read up and this is literally within the first 5 posts in the page I got delivered back to for catch up, and it made laugh.

Sleep on
  • Options
    Also yeah this administration going after legal weed is like the easiest fuckin call I've ever fuckin made.

• Options
    Sleep wrote: »
    Also yeah this administration going after legal weed is like the easiest fuckin call I've ever fuckin made.

Here's the thing. Trump won by the slimmest of margins. Plenty of libertarian fuckit pot smokers in WI, OH, MI and PA who might have a come to Jesus. At least this could piss off an important bit of his base.

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options

Here's the thing. Trump won by the slimmest of margins. Plenty of libertarian fuckit pot smokers in WI, OH, MI and PA who might have a come to Jesus. At least this could piss off an important bit of his base.

Ooh I know heavy users who voted for Trump gladly.

And like they have a shit load of pot on hand regularly.

Like if they ever got raided they'd do Hard Time, and I'd definitely visit them and ask them if the emails were really that fuckin important.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Trump making anti pot moves loses the republicans wisconsin

they barely won the state and nobody under 30 turned out for hillary it seems

which is ironic because the governor is ridiculously anti pot but in this neck of the woods nobody thinks anybody but the president exists

override367 on
  • Options
    Trump making anti pot moves loses the republicans wisconsin

they barely won the state and nobody under 30 turned out for hillary it seems

which is ironic because the governor is ridiculously anti pot but in this neck of the woods nobody thinks anybody but the president exists

Off the top of my head I know the governor's of three states. Mine, CA and WI. Possibly NY if it is Cuomo.

― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Actually it'll probably lose them PA, too, because we just got medical legalized this year.

And I know it's just going to cause me an aneurysm , but the fucking hypocrisy this week is unbelievable. State should have the right to decide for themselves about trans bathrooms (i.e. civil rights) but they don't have the right to choose this?!

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Well obviously states shouldn't have the right to make wrong decisions.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    If this really did get to SCOTUS would the argument have anything to do with what is being declared illegal (medically/statically baseless claim) or is it just a commerce clause case and doesn't get into the specifics? Even though said specifics are mostly shitty and racist.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I like to think the kid coming out of the pot-shop in that commercial is 25 and his mom is just fucking crazy. I mean, she looks like she's freaking out in the car even BEFORE she sees the weed stores. She looks like the type that woulda freaked out if her son came out of a Starbucks .

"THERE'S A WAR AGAINST CHRISTMANS KEVIN!"

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I dislike playing politics with something that is factually proven to have health benefits for a -large- amount of people in this country and that has caused a large amount of suffering via a justice system that for years disproportionately punished people who had any amount of marijuana on their person with lengthy and unjustified prison sentences.

Sure, but fuck up and lose this election and you could see a decade of progress get rolled back.

Trump isn't going to win. That much is certain by now.

Ha ha hahahahahahaha

Sorry saw all the new posts (likely from today's little reveal that surprise, surprise Jeff Fuckin Sessions is coming after recreational weed) and came back in to read up and this is literally within the first 5 posts in the page I got delivered back to for catch up, and it made laugh.

*sobs*

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    You can't even get through the front door of dispensaries in Oregon without showing ID. Also, the potency argument is silly. I'm sorry, the only way you're staying high for 48 hours is if you eat a pan of brownies made with 25+% THC stuff. And I do mean the entire fucking pan, at which point your bigger problem isn't being high, it's throwing up from all the sugar you just ate. Also in Oregon we are no longer allowed to make candy-fun-looking edibles, and we aren't allowed to call strains of weed things like "Girlscout Cookies" (it's just "GC" now).

As far as Trump, I honestly think he does nothing with legal weed. Enough states have done it now that even if he tried it would be tied up in court for years as states sued of their right to legalize and frankly I just don't think it's an issue that's even on his radar. I don't think I heard him say a word about it during the election, though I obviously didn't listen to all the great words he vomits from his mouth.

I would worry much more about the damage he's going to do to healthcare and the economy if he gets some of his more extreme policies pushed through.

If Trump decides to go after States that legalized, having Gorsuch on the SCOTUS will be good for pot legalization because only a narrow reading of the commerce clause will prevent the federal govt from winning that case.

If the DoJ more aggressively prosecutes individuals themselves, the States can do nothing about it.