Why are we not talking about [Legal Marijuana] in multiple states and now for Vets?

TommattTommatt Registered User regular
We've had so many discussions in D&D about should marijuana be legalized, and the war on drugs in general. Well the day has come and it turns out, all the naysayers were right! Weed is evil!

Marijuana overdoses killed 37 people in the first day!
http://dailycurrant.com/2014/01/02/marijuana-overdoses-kill-37-in-colorado-on-first-day-of-legalization/
Colorado is reconsidering its decision to legalize recreational pot following the deaths of dozens due to marijuana overdoses.

According to a report in the Rocky Mountain News, 37 people were killed across the state on Jan. 1, the first day the drug became legal for all adults to purchase. Several more are clinging onto life in local emergency rooms and are not expected to survive.

"It's complete chaos here," says Dr. Jack Shepard, chief of surgery at St. Luke's Medical Center in Denver. "I've put five college students in body bags since breakfast and more are arriving every minute.

"We are seeing cardiac arrests, hypospadias, acquired trimethylaminuria and multiple organ failures. By next week the death toll could go as high as 200, maybe 300. Someone needs to step in and stop this madness. My god, why did we legalize marijuana? What were we thinking?"

Ok, so that site is satire, like the onion, but news station and dumb people are picking up on it and reporting it as fact in some places. As far as I can tell things have gone swimmingly and sales are through the roof. Colorado is expecting 67M in tax revenue this year

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/04/us/colorado-marijuana-legalization-store/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

Shops had so many customers owners dropped the limit per purchase to an 1/8 of an ounce so that they wouldn't run out.

Remember, marijuana is still illegal Federally, and that many employers are still requiring drug screening for employment. This is the big thing IMO on how this plays out in the state
http://blog.al.com/breaking/2014/01/marijuana_may_be_legal_in_colo.html

It'll be interesting to see personal responsibility (IE people coming to work high) and how the state shifts pre employment screening.

Anybody in Colorado and Washington want to chime in on how things seem?

*edit* and in 2014 Alaska, Oregon, and DC add legalized marijuana

Tommatt on
«13456768

Posts

  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    We aren't talking about it, according to [chat], because everyone it affects is too high to bother...

    JuliusshrykemysticjuicerShadowfireMego Thor
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    We aren't talking about it, according to [chat], because everyone it affects is too high to bother...

    lol this is a good point. I'm about to look through my list of friends on FB who live in colorado and see what they've been up to

  • JuliusJulius Registered User regular
    I am also interested in the problem with the Daily Currant. That being that it's written in such a serious style that you can only infer the satire from looking at the rest of it's articles sometimes. Which makes it not very funny most of the time because the joke is basically "but this isn't true. Hah!".

    About the weed I care less.

    Gnome-Interruptus
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    David Brooks wrote a piece on it at the nytimes which was criticized for many reasons, one being that he thinks legalization isn't a good idea because he got really high and giggly as a teenager and I guess thinks that's the case for everyone.

    This of course is a problem because I think it's how a lot of middle left, centrist, and middle right people view marijauna - it's a silly thing that silly people do, lol stoners, why are we even talking about this, gonna get the munchies lol. I would say this is a frequent view most people that deal with marijuana like this are middle class(ish) and white, and marijauana is just a nuisance, and they mainly have to deal with stoned teenagers and potheads, a slap on the wrist from cops, and so forth.

    This is has been great for people that want to keep prohibition because it neatly sidesteps some of the more serious issues about keep weed illegal.

    Like these:

    marijuana_use_rate_by_race_year.png

    young_usage_rates_marijuana.png

    marijuana_arrest_rates_by_race_year.png

    black people smoke marijuana at about the same rate as white people, but are arrested at a much, much higher rate for it.

    not to mention nearly half of our drug arrests are for.... weed. weed is such a non issue lol stoners that half of our drug arrests are to stop the dastardly potheads from lighting up.

    percent_drug_arrests_marijuana_possession.png

    Unfortunately it looks like decriminalizing didn't reduce the disparity, but at least it reduced the arrests overall.

    massachusetts_disparity_year_by_year.png

    David Brooks embarasses himself from time to time, yeah, but his article did shed some light on the eye-rolling, 'why are we talking about this' attitude that surrounds marijuana legalization.

    Casual Eddy on
    Elki wrote: »

    Casual Eddy: best poster 2014.
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Casual Eddy: best poster of 2015

    gotta update that stuff man
    mysticjuicerArdolMrMisterTL DRJuliusLRGJeep-EepAntinumericLord_Asmodeus
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    It's a race thing, who da thunk it?!

  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I've seen daily currant stuff before, and I think their goal is less to produce funny material than it is to trick legitimate news outlets into picking up their stories. Which is a noble endeavor I suppose, but still.

    People aren't talking about legalized weed as much because everybody's waiting to see what the impact of the actual policy is, I guess. The measures passed, so everybody can wait six months or a year before getting up in arms about it again.

    NREqxl5.jpg
  • mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Jesus those graphs...

    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring Yomi tournament commentary and tutorials!
    spool32LovelyTheCanManNightDragonRhesus PositiveAl_watSquigieSmrtnikRhalloTonnyAntinumericSicariiLord_Asmodeus
  • SquatfurdSquatfurd 9000 feetRegistered User regular
    As someone from Colorado who lives far away from any of the major cities, I can say that it feels the exact same as always. If you are too damn lazy to grow your own plants, there are still guys who are willing to grow a bunch of the fuckers and sell it to you illegally

    In these parts the vote came out to not allow recreational use stores. So instead of generating tax money (which if I'm not mistaken the first several million is spoken for, going directly to schools) it's going to random fuckin' guys. Around here I'm not sure it would make much of a difference though. There's already a large infrastructure for the illegal trade, lots of room to grow, a very relaxed view on it, and it's cheaper for the consumer to go slightly more illegal.

    I can see pot tourists being a huge problem. Driving all stoned out of their gourds cause they can't just go home to get high. Taking what's left after their holiday back home and getting busted. Smuggling it over to the east coast to make a profit.

    League of Legends: DingusSquatfurd
    B.net: Squatfurd#1814
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    I think drug tourism is a big reason why the Dutch have cracked down

    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus premium Registered User regular
    Sorry to show my squareness, but an 1/8 of an ounce is going to be... how many doobies?

    I know marijuana doesn't weigh a lot, but I'm genuinely curious how much the average recreational user is going to purchase in order to have a relaxing toke on the weekend, etc.

    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    We aren't talking about it because the number one goal of legalization IMO was to get potheads to shut the fuck about the only thing they will ever talk about.

    How do you spell Justice?B D S Non-Violent Resistance to Israel Apartheid & Occupation.
    DevoutlyApatheticshrykeLostNinjaEvigilantCaveman PawsSalvation122SpoitV1mLinespider5knitdanzagdrobh3nduhistronicVegemyteXaquinSCREECH OF THE FARGSmrtnikSicariiRegina FongDerrick
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    What's there to talk about? We legalized it. Talk over.

  • MillMill Registered User regular
    Gonna be awhile before there really is any noticeable changes to talk about. I'm more interested in seeing how this affects crime rates.

  • gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    The state legalized. If the federal government decides to talk the ball home, they still can.

    I've got a book! Angels, innovations, and the hubris of tiny things: Seraphim
  • KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    We aren't talking about it because the number one goal of legalization IMO was to get potheads to shut the fuck about the only thing they will ever talk about.
    As briefly pointed out above, the War on Drugs is a horrifically prejudiced policy with disastrous effects on society. Ending marijuana prohibition is not in and of itself a sufficient change in policy, but is a significant step forward.

    People who are dismissive of this issue are universally not minorities in Texas (or most other southern states).

    Kaputa on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Kaputa wrote: »
    We aren't talking about it because the number one goal of legalization IMO was to get potheads to shut the fuck about the only thing they will ever talk about.
    As briefly pointed out above, the War on Drugs is a horrifically prejudiced policy with disastrous effects on society. Ending marijuana prohibition is not in and of itself a sufficient change in policy, but is a significant step forward.

    People who are dismissive of this issue are universally not minorities in Texas (or most other southern states).

    Neither are the "legalize pot man!" brigade.

  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Eighth of pot = 3.5 grams
    Quarter of pot = 7.0 grams
    Half ounce and ounce are self explanatory.

    As to the amount of doobies/joints it depends on the style of whomever is rolling said splif.

    I don't know how I know this stuff by the way.

  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    We are seeing cardiac arrests, hypospadias, acquired trimethylaminuria and multiple organ failures

    haha one of those things is not like the others


    what I was thinking of on first read was that Colorado had somehow acquired a market for synthetic cannabis, which has been shown to have medical complications. That's still illegal though

    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Fuck that synthetic shit.

    That shit is exactly the reason we need to legalize marijuana.

    TommattGnome-InterruptusJuliusoverride367Corehealerzagdrobglithert
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Sorry to show my squareness, but an 1/8 of an ounce is going to be... how many doobies?

    I know marijuana doesn't weigh a lot, but I'm genuinely curious how much the average recreational user is going to purchase in order to have a relaxing toke on the weekend, etc.

    FWIW from someone in Washington - I smoke one or two smallish bowls per week and an eighth will typically last me around 4 months, maybe a little less if I wind up sharing with my wife/friends. I'll be curious to see what state stores do to the pricing what with the taxes, but currently I can maintain a mild habit for like $10 per month.

    @DarkPrimus

    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus premium Registered User regular
    Thanks for the info.

    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I'm in Denver, but the lines at the place near me were way too long when I checked, and I'm not about to drive around town for it...so I'll wait for the craziness to die down, maybe next weekend. I do kind of feel sorry for some of the residential houses and businesses nearby, their parking lots and streets are completely full. Plenty of shady characters and people who dive headfirst into pothead stereotypes loitering about is also probably not doing the business's reputation a favor, but I imagine things will quiet down after the first few weeks.

    Darlan on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Kaputa wrote: »
    We aren't talking about it because the number one goal of legalization IMO was to get potheads to shut the fuck about the only thing they will ever talk about.
    As briefly pointed out above, the War on Drugs is a horrifically prejudiced policy with disastrous effects on society. Ending marijuana prohibition is not in and of itself a sufficient change in policy, but is a significant step forward.

    People who are dismissive of this issue are universally not minorities in Texas (or most other southern states).

    Neither are the "legalize pot man!" brigade.

    Some of us actually think the drug war is an important thing to discuss and criticize. I find it kind of odd that this particular discussion invites apparently acceptably dismissive stereotypes towards people who find this policy damaging in the same forum where pretty much any other stereotype will get you dogpiled, and rightly so.

    Some of us don't get into this for the whole counterculture aspect. Some of us have personal experience with relatives wasting away because their state doesn't allow them to take something that would help. Some of us have been imprisoned for one stupid decision which they haven't repeated since.

    Idiot stoner slacker losers are not the only people who are invested in ending prohibition and it's incredibly goose-like to insinuate that those people are the biggest or even most vocal part of that group.

    Gennenalyse RuebenKamarPLAJuliusBurtletoyCorehealerPhillishereWiseManTobesFavlaudLoveIsUnityMan in the MistsJeep-EepThorn413VegemyteMartini_PhilosopherSCREECH OF THE FARGglithertLord_Asmodeusminirhyder
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    From my general understanding, prices with tax are slightly higher than the price marijuana was before. About $10 an 1/8 or so, assuming the price I saw for highs was high grade Marijuana. I'm curious to see how this affects both the medical market in Colorado, and the black market in Colorado. ou can still go to your guy to get cheaper stuff.

    I'm also curious how many people have discovered friends and relatives smoke that hid it before. I know it's still early to see how this affects everything, but some people predicted disasters on day one. So far I haven't heard of any problems except people being sold out. Now, however, the weekend is here. People will be going out and partying, and accidents will happen. I'm also curious to see how the news reports a nasty dui, where say the persons BAC is .15 but there is a slight amount of marijuana in his system.

  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Fuck that synthetic shit.

    That shit is exactly the reason we need to legalize marijuana.

    Synthetic marijuana is a really sketchy shitstorm. The closet chemists will always just throw a new functional group on an old outlawed molecule. The law is getting more general now but that crap might even be worse than meth in certain ways.

    Jeep-Eep
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Tommatt wrote: »
    From my general understanding, prices with tax are slightly higher than the price marijuana was before. About $10 an 1/8 or so, assuming the price I saw for highs was high grade Marijuana. I'm curious to see how this affects both the medical market in Colorado, and the black market in Colorado. ou can still go to your guy to get cheaper stuff.

    I'm also curious how many people have discovered friends and relatives smoke that hid it before. I know it's still early to see how this affects everything, but some people predicted disasters on day one. So far I haven't heard of any problems except people being sold out. Now, however, the weekend is here. People will be going out and partying, and accidents will happen. I'm also curious to see how the news reports a nasty dui, where say the persons BAC is .15 but there is a slight amount of marijuana in his system.
    The weather is *terrible* in Denver today, so that may mute some of the partying.

    Darlan on
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Darlan wrote: »
    Tommatt wrote: »
    From my general understanding, prices with tax are slightly higher than the price marijuana was before. About $10 an 1/8 or so, assuming the price I saw for highs was high grade Marijuana. I'm curious to see how this affects both the medical market in Colorado, and the black market in Colorado. ou can still go to your guy to get cheaper stuff.

    I'm also curious how many people have discovered friends and relatives smoke that hid it before. I know it's still early to see how this affects everything, but some people predicted disasters on day one. So far I haven't heard of any problems except people being sold out. Now, however, the weekend is here. People will be going out and partying, and accidents will happen. I'm also curious to see how the news reports a nasty dui, where say the persons BAC is .15 but there is a slight amount of marijuana in his system.
    The weather is *terrible* in Denver today, so that may mute some of the partying.

    The real test in Denver, IMO, will be next weekend when the Broncos are hosting a playoff game.

    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Kaputa wrote: »
    We aren't talking about it because the number one goal of legalization IMO was to get potheads to shut the fuck about the only thing they will ever talk about.
    As briefly pointed out above, the War on Drugs is a horrifically prejudiced policy with disastrous effects on society. Ending marijuana prohibition is not in and of itself a sufficient change in policy, but is a significant step forward.

    People who are dismissive of this issue are universally not minorities in Texas (or most other southern states).

    Neither are the "legalize pot man!" brigade.

    Some of us actually think the drug war is an important thing to discuss and criticize. I find it kind of odd that this particular discussion invites apparently acceptably dismissive stereotypes towards people who find this policy damaging in the same forum where pretty much any other stereotype will get you dogpiled, and rightly so.

    Some of us don't get into this for the whole counterculture aspect. Some of us have personal experience with relatives wasting away because their state doesn't allow them to take something that would help. Some of us have been imprisoned for one stupid decision which they haven't repeated since.

    Idiot stoner slacker losers are not the only people who are invested in ending prohibition and it's incredibly goose-like to insinuate that those people are the biggest or even most vocal part of that group.

    There's a difference between "legalize pot" and "end the drug war". Which was the point that you missed and the point Kaputa missed as well and is exactly what tinwiskers is talking about.

    The two points have some overlap, but they aren't at all the same and have large non-overlapping portions. It's not stereotyping to point out that large portions of the "legalize pot!" movement are interested in nothing more then getting stoned legally. Which you'll find few people here have a problem with. But it's not the same as being against the drug war and it's not about being or knowing an unjustly persecuted minority.

    zagdrob
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: »
    Darlan wrote: »
    Tommatt wrote: »
    From my general understanding, prices with tax are slightly higher than the price marijuana was before. About $10 an 1/8 or so, assuming the price I saw for highs was high grade Marijuana. I'm curious to see how this affects both the medical market in Colorado, and the black market in Colorado. ou can still go to your guy to get cheaper stuff.

    I'm also curious how many people have discovered friends and relatives smoke that hid it before. I know it's still early to see how this affects everything, but some people predicted disasters on day one. So far I haven't heard of any problems except people being sold out. Now, however, the weekend is here. People will be going out and partying, and accidents will happen. I'm also curious to see how the news reports a nasty dui, where say the persons BAC is .15 but there is a slight amount of marijuana in his system.
    The weather is *terrible* in Denver today, so that may mute some of the partying.

    The real test in Denver, IMO, will be next weekend when the Broncos are hosting a playoff game.

    It's been embraced around the SF Giants, and Let Timmy Smoke chants, it'll be interesting to see how it's taken there. They seem really really lax at the airports in Denver with it. It's not allowed, but nobody is looking

  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Kaputa wrote: »
    We aren't talking about it because the number one goal of legalization IMO was to get potheads to shut the fuck about the only thing they will ever talk about.
    As briefly pointed out above, the War on Drugs is a horrifically prejudiced policy with disastrous effects on society. Ending marijuana prohibition is not in and of itself a sufficient change in policy, but is a significant step forward.

    People who are dismissive of this issue are universally not minorities in Texas (or most other southern states).

    Neither are the "legalize pot man!" brigade.

    Some of us actually think the drug war is an important thing to discuss and criticize. I find it kind of odd that this particular discussion invites apparently acceptably dismissive stereotypes towards people who find this policy damaging in the same forum where pretty much any other stereotype will get you dogpiled, and rightly so.

    Some of us don't get into this for the whole counterculture aspect. Some of us have personal experience with relatives wasting away because their state doesn't allow them to take something that would help. Some of us have been imprisoned for one stupid decision which they haven't repeated since.

    Idiot stoner slacker losers are not the only people who are invested in ending prohibition and it's incredibly goose-like to insinuate that those people are the biggest or even most vocal part of that group.

    There's a difference between "legalize pot" and "end the drug war". Which was the point that you missed and the point Kaputa missed as well and is exactly what tinwiskers is talking about.

    The two points have some overlap, but they aren't at all the same and have large non-overlapping portions. It's not stereotyping to point out that large portions of the "legalize pot!" movement are interested in nothing more then getting stoned legally. Which you'll find few people here have a problem with. But it's not the same as being against the drug war and it's not about being or knowing an unjustly persecuted minority.

    This is still a gross oversimplification given that potheads are unlikely to have any kind of difficulty getting weed if they're experienced. I would also ask you to consider what a pothead is. Someone who smokes everyday? What about someone who drinks wine everyday, maybe a glass with dinner or a finger or two of scotch before retiring for the evening?

    What about people who go to wine tastings? People who own bars? People that are passionate about beer? People that brew their own beer or own a microbrewery? Are these people alcoholics? Are they booze heads?

    Is it possible that you're buying into the idea that pot smokers are a bunch of lazy assholes who can't possibly enjoy weed for any other reason that they want to get blitzed?

    Or maybe they want to pay taxes on it and get excited about the process of growing it and talking about and thinking about it,
    similar to how someone might want to track grapes as they become a Malbec.

    I would imagine a lot of people who like weed are somewhat irritated by how pervasive another intoxicant, alcohol is, and how it's socially acceptable to be excited about finely crafted alcohol, but people who want to come into the light with their weed are just a bunch of potheads.

    I am not particularly excited by weed, I enjoy it, but it's not something that excited my passion. But I'm willing to bet it legitimately excited a lot of people.

    Elki wrote: »

    Casual Eddy: best poster 2014.
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Casual Eddy: best poster of 2015

    gotta update that stuff man
    King RiptorBloodySlothFeralWiseManTobestestsubject23LRGMan in the MistsForarh3nduThorn413KamarLord_Asmodeusminirhyder
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I have no idea what you are even going on about, but you have massively missed the point to go on some rant about how people who smoke pot can, I guess, be ... no, honestly, I'm still not sure what the fuck your point was.

    It doesn't change the fact that there are two seperate movements at work and while anybody and their grandmum could get ahold of pot if they wanted to, the legalize pot movement is not directly analogous to the anti-dru- war because some people would very much rather be able to get their pot legally.

  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I was saying "legalize pot" is more complicated than people just wanting to get stoned legally, as evidenced by our complex relationship with legal alcohol

    Sorry if that's too complicated for you

    Elki wrote: »

    Casual Eddy: best poster 2014.
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Casual Eddy: best poster of 2015

    gotta update that stuff man
  • InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    Given this forums near-unanimous agreement of "end the drug war", I'm willing to bet this thread produces more people mistakenly thinking they are disagreeing, than actually disagreeing.

    In either case I am scheduled to fly to my company's denver office sometime this year, so fuck yeah.

  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    shryke wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Kaputa wrote: »
    We aren't talking about it because the number one goal of legalization IMO was to get potheads to shut the fuck about the only thing they will ever talk about.
    As briefly pointed out above, the War on Drugs is a horrifically prejudiced policy with disastrous effects on society. Ending marijuana prohibition is not in and of itself a sufficient change in policy, but is a significant step forward.

    People who are dismissive of this issue are universally not minorities in Texas (or most other southern states).

    Neither are the "legalize pot man!" brigade.

    Some of us actually think the drug war is an important thing to discuss and criticize. I find it kind of odd that this particular discussion invites apparently acceptably dismissive stereotypes towards people who find this policy damaging in the same forum where pretty much any other stereotype will get you dogpiled, and rightly so.

    Some of us don't get into this for the whole counterculture aspect. Some of us have personal experience with relatives wasting away because their state doesn't allow them to take something that would help. Some of us have been imprisoned for one stupid decision which they haven't repeated since.

    Idiot stoner slacker losers are not the only people who are invested in ending prohibition and it's incredibly goose-like to insinuate that those people are the biggest or even most vocal part of that group.

    There's a difference between "legalize pot" and "end the drug war". Which was the point that you missed and the point Kaputa missed as well and is exactly what tinwiskers is talking about.

    The two points have some overlap, but they aren't at all the same and have large non-overlapping portions. It's not stereotyping to point out that large portions of the "legalize pot!" movement are interested in nothing more then getting stoned legally. Which you'll find few people here have a problem with. But it's not the same as being against the drug war and it's not about being or knowing an unjustly persecuted minority.

    This is still a gross oversimplification given that potheads are unlikely to have any kind of difficulty getting weed if they're experienced. I would also ask you to consider what a pothead is. Someone who smokes everyday? What about someone who drinks wine everyday, maybe a glass with dinner or a finger or two of scotch before retiring for the evening?

    What about people who go to wine tastings? People who own bars? People that are passionate about beer? People that brew their own beer or own a microbrewery? Are these people alcoholics? Are they booze heads?

    Is it possible that you're buying into the idea that pot smokers are a bunch of lazy assholes who can't possibly enjoy weed for any other reason that they want to get blitzed?

    Or maybe they want to pay taxes on it and get excited about the process of growing it and talking about and thinking about it,
    similar to how someone might want to track grapes as they become a Malbec.

    I would imagine a lot of people who like weed are somewhat irritated by how pervasive another intoxicant, alcohol is, and how it's socially acceptable to be excited about finely crafted alcohol, but people who want to come into the light with their weed are just a bunch of potheads.

    I am not particularly excited by weed, I enjoy it, but it's not something that excited my passion. But I'm willing to bet it legitimately excited a lot of people.

    Thats cool. Really. But Youre high if you think the majority of the egaluze pot movement isnt a bunch of guys not letting Dave in.

    The legitimate practical and medical uses for it are overshadowed by the people whove hurt the movement with theur irrespinsible attitudes. It is they who are the majority and thats a problem

    King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I think the best thing about legal pot (aside from cutting a revenue source off for criminals) is that it makes it safer to smoke. I trust a dispensary that has to follow state regulations for their product over the scummy people you have to deal with in the other ~40 or states where it is very illegal still.

    that said I think the medical marijuana movement may have hurt legalization more than helped. people saw it as stoners finding a loophole to smoke pot, not the people affected by severe cerebral palsy who can find actual, tangible benefits from using it. all in all it'll be a slow process but I think we will see it legalized on the nationwide level sometime in the next 5-10 years. if states at the local level determine it's better as a taxable revenue, eventually the feds will have to follow suit.

    XB1/360 - Local H Jay
    PS4 - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Kaputa wrote: »
    We aren't talking about it because the number one goal of legalization IMO was to get potheads to shut the fuck about the only thing they will ever talk about.
    As briefly pointed out above, the War on Drugs is a horrifically prejudiced policy with disastrous effects on society. Ending marijuana prohibition is not in and of itself a sufficient change in policy, but is a significant step forward.

    People who are dismissive of this issue are universally not minorities in Texas (or most other southern states).

    Neither are the "legalize pot man!" brigade.

    Some of us actually think the drug war is an important thing to discuss and criticize. I find it kind of odd that this particular discussion invites apparently acceptably dismissive stereotypes towards people who find this policy damaging in the same forum where pretty much any other stereotype will get you dogpiled, and rightly so.

    Some of us don't get into this for the whole counterculture aspect. Some of us have personal experience with relatives wasting away because their state doesn't allow them to take something that would help. Some of us have been imprisoned for one stupid decision which they haven't repeated since.

    Idiot stoner slacker losers are not the only people who are invested in ending prohibition and it's incredibly goose-like to insinuate that those people are the biggest or even most vocal part of that group.

    There's a difference between "legalize pot" and "end the drug war". Which was the point that you missed and the point Kaputa missed as well and is exactly what tinwiskers is talking about.

    The two points have some overlap, but they aren't at all the same and have large non-overlapping portions. It's not stereotyping to point out that large portions of the "legalize pot!" movement are interested in nothing more then getting stoned legally. Which you'll find few people here have a problem with. But it's not the same as being against the drug war and it's not about being or knowing an unjustly persecuted minority.

    This is still a gross oversimplification given that potheads are unlikely to have any kind of difficulty getting weed if they're experienced. I would also ask you to consider what a pothead is. Someone who smokes everyday? What about someone who drinks wine everyday, maybe a glass with dinner or a finger or two of scotch before retiring for the evening?

    What about people who go to wine tastings? People who own bars? People that are passionate about beer? People that brew their own beer or own a microbrewery? Are these people alcoholics? Are they booze heads?

    Is it possible that you're buying into the idea that pot smokers are a bunch of lazy assholes who can't possibly enjoy weed for any other reason that they want to get blitzed?

    Or maybe they want to pay taxes on it and get excited about the process of growing it and talking about and thinking about it,
    similar to how someone might want to track grapes as they become a Malbec.

    I would imagine a lot of people who like weed are somewhat irritated by how pervasive another intoxicant, alcohol is, and how it's socially acceptable to be excited about finely crafted alcohol, but people who want to come into the light with their weed are just a bunch of potheads.

    I am not particularly excited by weed, I enjoy it, but it's not something that excited my passion. But I'm willing to bet it legitimately excited a lot of people.

    Thats cool. Really. But Youre high if you think the majority of the egaluze pot movement isnt a bunch of guys not letting Dave in.

    The legitimate practical and medical uses for it are overshadowed by the people whove hurt the movement with theur irrespinsible attitudes. It is they who are the majority and thats a problem

    What are you basing this view on? Any sort of data or just anecdotal evidence? Or a news media that has been delighted to put forward the lol stoners narrative?

    How do you know it's a majority?

    Elki wrote: »

    Casual Eddy: best poster 2014.
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Casual Eddy: best poster of 2015

    gotta update that stuff man
    JuliusLRGKamar
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2014
    I am a fairly successful businessperson. I have my own company, I do rather well for myself, and I occasionally partake of cannabis.

    I am pretty fucking far from what you would describe as a traditional stoner, and I would love for that to be legal because there is no,good reason for it not to be.

    I also know that if I were ever caught, I would get a decent lawyer, have my charges reduced or dropped, and walk away due to privilege. I would be an idiot to not take advantage of it. But it still sucks that that is the case. I also know I will likely never get caught because, again, they never search the white guy in a suit.

    syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    mysticjuicerminirhyder
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I was saying "legalize pot" is more complicated than people just wanting to get stoned legally, as evidenced by our complex relationship with legal alcohol

    Sorry if that's too complicated for you

    Something I said myself already in the post you replied to and not something you said in your own post, which was some weird mush attacking some strawman who was apparently saying all people who smoke pot are from a Cheech and Chong film before he wandered off down the yellow brick road.

    I still have no idea what you are going on about alcohol for, but it's got nothing to do with the topic or the discussion in the posts you were responding to, which was about the reasons for people wanting to legalize pot. Which most definitely include a shit ton of people just in it for legal weed.

  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    shryke wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Kaputa wrote: »
    We aren't talking about it because the number one goal of legalization IMO was to get potheads to shut the fuck about the only thing they will ever talk about.
    As briefly pointed out above, the War on Drugs is a horrifically prejudiced policy with disastrous effects on society. Ending marijuana prohibition is not in and of itself a sufficient change in policy, but is a significant step forward.

    People who are dismissive of this issue are universally not minorities in Texas (or most other southern states).

    Neither are the "legalize pot man!" brigade.

    Some of us actually think the drug war is an important thing to discuss and criticize. I find it kind of odd that this particular discussion invites apparently acceptably dismissive stereotypes towards people who find this policy damaging in the same forum where pretty much any other stereotype will get you dogpiled, and rightly so.

    Some of us don't get into this for the whole counterculture aspect. Some of us have personal experience with relatives wasting away because their state doesn't allow them to take something that would help. Some of us have been imprisoned for one stupid decision which they haven't repeated since.

    Idiot stoner slacker losers are not the only people who are invested in ending prohibition and it's incredibly goose-like to insinuate that those people are the biggest or even most vocal part of that group.

    There's a difference between "legalize pot" and "end the drug war". Which was the point that you missed and the point Kaputa missed as well and is exactly what tinwiskers is talking about.

    The two points have some overlap, but they aren't at all the same and have large non-overlapping portions. It's not stereotyping to point out that large portions of the "legalize pot!" movement are interested in nothing more then getting stoned legally. Which you'll find few people here have a problem with. But it's not the same as being against the drug war and it's not about being or knowing an unjustly persecuted minority.

    This is still a gross oversimplification given that potheads are unlikely to have any kind of difficulty getting weed if they're experienced. I would also ask you to consider what a pothead is. Someone who smokes everyday? What about someone who drinks wine everyday, maybe a glass with dinner or a finger or two of scotch before retiring for the evening?

    What about people who go to wine tastings? People who own bars? People that are passionate about beer? People that brew their own beer or own a microbrewery? Are these people alcoholics? Are they booze heads?

    Is it possible that you're buying into the idea that pot smokers are a bunch of lazy assholes who can't possibly enjoy weed for any other reason that they want to get blitzed?

    Or maybe they want to pay taxes on it and get excited about the process of growing it and talking about and thinking about it,
    similar to how someone might want to track grapes as they become a Malbec.

    I would imagine a lot of people who like weed are somewhat irritated by how pervasive another intoxicant, alcohol is, and how it's socially acceptable to be excited about finely crafted alcohol, but people who want to come into the light with their weed are just a bunch of potheads.

    I am not particularly excited by weed, I enjoy it, but it's not something that excited my passion. But I'm willing to bet it legitimately excited a lot of people.

    Thats cool. Really. But Youre high if you think the majority of the egaluze pot movement isnt a bunch of guys not letting Dave in.

    The legitimate practical and medical uses for it are overshadowed by the people whove hurt the movement with theur irrespinsible attitudes. It is they who are the majority and thats a problem

    What are you basing this view on? Any sort of data or just anecdotal evidence? Or a news media that has been delighted to put forward the lol stoners narrative?

    How do you know it's a majority?

    How do you know its not?

    Burden of proof should fall on you since youre arguing otherwise and just discredited pretty much any source I could post as a media conspiracy

    King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • LucidLucid Registered User regular
    Wait, didn't you make the claim of a majority and how they're a problem? Why should he have to prove your claim to be in error absent of any data you've given to substantiate it?

    He didn't even state the reverse of your claim.

    Gennenalyse RuebenQuidjoshofalltradesPLACaptain CarrotArdoloverride367Casual EddyKristmas KthulhuThorn413BullheadLord_Asmodeus
Sign In or Register to comment.