As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] This time it's still about painting miniatures

• Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    Even at an art crit the reaction would be "looks amazing at a distance, but you obviously ran out of time and had to rush the soldiers." I mean in fairness I don't think yours would place first either, but neither should that have won, especially when the criteria is for a squad of human sized models no taller than 50mm, 5cm, or roughly 2.5 inches. That pushes credulity, if I were a judge I'd have voted for disqualification or to judge the model solely on the soldiers, in which case it falls flat and doesn't place first.

To me it's blatant inside favouritism. I would like scans of those handouts though, might be some useful tips in there.

In other news I attempted airbrush practise, first time I've ever used one. Bought a cheap one years ago but never used it, there was NO online resources that seemed half decent. Now with the power of the INTERNET I was able to find the proper mediums, mixes, and paints within one evening of thinking "hey maybe I'll give this thing a try again."

IMG_4314.jpg

Blending and guaging where your spray is going to hit is hard :c

And now they are in acetone until tonight where I'll clean/prime and give it another try tomorrow.

newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    While I work on getting these sheets scanned, I thought i'd share some pics of an army with you guys.

My good friend and his brother tag-teamed this amazing army. One converted all the models, the other did all of the painting. They took it to Adepticon, and it took overall army and won the tournament for Warhammer Fantasy. I worked side by side with my friend while he painted this, and it was a real joy to see it come together.

Also, excuse the bad lighting - all I had were a couple of lamps and my phone.

Behold! It's Christmas time for Nurgle! (and a few pink horrors)

F448678D-28DE-45A6-A209-C8ADD99822C6_zpskp2mtyb6.jpg

035954BE-89F4-425B-8A04-F92127BB734B_zpsheummwad.jpg

A39E3BD9-FF86-4DCD-9230-2D827D6BF063_zpstlwkrmnx.jpg

D182C81D-78C7-4FF5-A1A0-BA5B3CAF8E6F_zpsfypuzrtf.jpg

BB1AE75C-36A7-4448-B226-0CB2012E1D96_zps5sjvj81a.jpg

2130415B-843A-48BC-AA5E-1C37A14FAB07_zpscnqyk3vk.jpg

B9F147BD-B205-47B8-A603-6CA20E01E726_zpsrb4xnra9.jpg

7CA80EB7-AFC5-43D0-B90D-64218783A4BF_zpskmgpx4yr.jpg

6E553D53-736A-4619-A99B-886BC4E5DEDF_zpsny7dewpr.jpg

EE1AE705-5C42-4B30-A6F5-E3EE6CA4FDE0_zps96oe8nik.jpg

• Options
    Also not pictured are Khorne sleds with snowball cannons. I'll try and find those.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Oh god, anatomically correct gingerbread men.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    I actually just noticed that. Huh. Considering I know the sculptor, I can't say i'm surprised.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Well he wouldn't be smiling otherwise.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Since I haven't posted anything in a while here's some Cold One Knights I was working on last month. I haven't had any hobby time. :(

Cold%20One%20Knights%20WIP.png

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    you guys have that tank piece all wrong.
    It's an amazingly painted tank that's carrying a team of expertly painted shop manaquins

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    It was actually a clever tactic employed by Russian mechanized infantry, to draw fire away from themselves as they followed up behind the tank.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    So, Level 7 Omega Protocol is an awesome game and everyone should check it out. I'd sum it up as Space-Hulk, meets XCOM, meets Left4Dead. Five player co-op commandos, fighting against mutant aliens controlled by an overlord player in a labyrinthine, underground secret government laboratory.. Board game night goodness!

The game comes with tonnes of minis, which despite Privateer Press's usual quality, aren't the greatest to work with. They're fine for a board game like this, but the materials, casting, and poses leave a bit to be desired. The designs are pretty good though, the soldiers look soldiery, and the alien mutants are creepy as all hell.

That being said, I went and painted the player characters, the Commandos. The models are soft plastic/resin something, and a lot of them are pretty heavily warped out of the box. I repeatedly tried to repose these guys with (boiling)hot and ice water, but even after a few attempts a couple of them are leaning a bit to one side (mainly the heavy and rifleman). I bulked out their equipment significantly using dreamforge stormtrooper gear, as these guys were really skinny and I felt lacking a lot of the bags, pouches, bandoliers, and other junk that one would carry into an underground mutant hunt. I also did weapon swaps on the Heavy and Counter Intelligence soldiers as the Heavy felt woefully undergunned with a stubby little SMG thing, and the CI guy's rifle was badly casted.

omega-protocol-commandos.jpg

for reference sake, here's what the original models look like, along with some of the mutants.\
    omegap_miniatures.png

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    solid paint/repair job, although i'm not 100% sure i can figure out what's going on with the heavy's helmet

• Options
    WoozlWoozl Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    solid paint/repair job, although i'm not 100% sure i can figure out what's going on with the heavy's helmet

I heard you like heavy armor faceplates, so I . . .

• Options
    i just can't really parse which bit is the front

• Options
    edited April 2014
    It is sort of a jumbled mess on the mini. Its got like a faceplate, then a gorget, then more faceplates...
    He's turning his head in the direction of the gun, the little raised peice with the notch is the "nose", and there's lights on the side of his head.
    Here's the game artwork, makes more sense.
    image1.jpg

I could probobly break it up a bit more with some dark grey, like on the rifleman and officer's masks.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I'm just gunna' keep posting stuff on this page. These are the guys that launched my whole beastman army, and now theyre finally finished after kicking around for a few years!
    chaos-berserkers01.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Those would make awesome Bestigor actually… make them seriously stand out from a regular beastman unit.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    I love space beastmen in general and yours are sublime

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    I love space beastmen in general and yours are sublime

The blood on the cloaks, especially.

• Options
    One ten man squad of Valhallans. I can paint one ten man squad. Right?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Can we get a new thread title?

[Painting Miniatures] Where McGibs Shames Us Into Not Posting Pictures of Our Mans

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    What a fucking disaster.

Magnetising my Hive Tyrant I managed to have one body magnet polarised wrong. Ended up cutting part of the torso out to get a file in and pry the magnet out and put a new one in the right way. Old magnet was basically destroyed by the file.

Then I saw I forgot to put the foot pincers on, and I've based it already. With plastic glue so it's permaglued to the base. So now I either cut the base off and find a resin base for it so I can reach the pincer connector points, or leave it and fill them in with green stuff.

Fuck.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    On the plus side, after 3 years, I put this together.

602791_sm-.jpg

It was taking ages because attaching the tiny spikes was torture with my thick fingers. I thought fuck it, abandoned the smaller spikes and put it together. Now to build a support base and paint it.

• Options
    I don't think I ever realized how many tiny holes these metal Guardsmen have in all the little nooks and crannies. Trying to get black paint in there so they don't show up is a horribly time-consuming process. But, at least I'm accomplishing something. I'm doing a little more than one squad. I chose one sergeant model, a heavy bolter crew and a meltagunner, and the running troopers of one type. This guy:
    valhallans_zpsc611034c.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Y'know, something always bugged me about the valhallan models and I just now figured out what it was; they aren't wearing gloves. They come from a frozen deathworld, dressed in 6" thick fur coats and all, but forgot to protect the one part of their body they need most to function as a soldier of the emperor (their trigger fingers)?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    I paint their hands as if they're wearing white gloves. It didn't make any sense to me either.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    If your hands are getting cold, that means you're not firing enough.

see317 on
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Green stuff over their fingers to fill the gaps, suddenly all guys wearing big mittens!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    So, an update: Still working on getting the handouts scanned for you guys. The one scanner I found at work only does black and white scans. It was surprisingly lame, but most of this job is. So, i'm on the hunt to get color scans for you guys.

Also, here's me trying to apply some of what I learned. The face on this guy didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped, that's an area I need work on, but the blends on the blue and the trenchcoat turned out pretty good I think, at least, for my second go at it.

BF5BC3BE-5C50-4A13-9812-016BA40D39FB_zpsccxfbbz5.jpg

D6B199FB-3DCB-498A-A743-F0975938059A_zpsp1ycdo8v.jpg

• Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    I think the blends on the blue look great, nice work!

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @3lwap0‌ that's a great-looking mini!

The cheekbone highlight-thing kinda gives him a Joker-esque smile appearance.

Were you planning on doing more with the cables?

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    apologize if this a bad place to ask vs. say dakka dakka or coolminis. But I post here so figured why not: I want to get into painting miniatures and was wondering if anyone had advice on any minis in particular that are good for a beginner? I've heard Castle Ravenloft.

Are there any other board games that have good minis? Arkham Horror crossed my mind as a fun game but not sure about painting the minis. I'm figuring a board game would be a good place to start, since I would have more incentive to finish all of the pieces.

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    The best minis to paint are the ones you find most interesting and actually want to paint. Be it a board game. Scifi or fantasy army. Or even some of the boutique stuff out there.

Some will have easier or more difficult materials. Like hard plastic vs resin or metal to cheap shite soft plastic. Which is what id be wary of with a boardgame. But providing you do your research youll be fine. Just dont go in expecting anything to look spectacular off the bat or youll discourage yourself really quickly.

Post lots of pictures. Lots of extremely talented people post here and would love to see your progress and offer their help!

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    so wise and honoraboru painting thread. I tried out my airbrush for the first time yesterday, it was pretty real. I was able to prime the MoW Kovnik in like 20 seconds.

I'd like to know what's best for cleaning it?

when I was done painting I ran water through it until it was just water coming out, then I ran acetone through it, then I scrubbed the inside of the cup with a tissue soaked in acetone, then I ran water through it again.

Is Acetone the best cleaning agent for acrylic paint or is there something better for it? Should I disassemble the whole thing and wipe it down every time? Also, if I'm going to be switching colors in a session, how should I do the switch? run water through between colors, or should I put some acetone through instead?

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Cheap and nasty window cleaner is one of the better options. It's a bit friendlier than Acetone. I usually run a cup full of it through after each colour. A handy hint is to leave it sitting with a cupful of Windex or equivalent when you're done as well, it prevents any paint left in the workings from drying. Every now and again it does need a good scrub down. I usually take mine apart and soak any stubborn bits in acetone. I also recommend getting a set of airbrush cleaners, like little pipecleaners and a pokey thing. They are super handy.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    I use isopropyl alcohol. Milder than acetone, stronger than windex. Though my airbrush is of a "Silverline"... line. So it should theoretically withstand acetone- but isopropyl gets rid of 100% of the paint and is really cheap.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    @3lwap0‌ that's a great-looking mini!

The cheekbone highlight-thing kinda gives him a Joker-esque smile appearance.

Were you planning on doing more with the cables?

Yep! They'll get taken up in a gentle dry-brush. You can't see'em that well in the photo 'cause of the lighting.

Thanks!

The face was an experiment as well. I was trying purples and reds and greens on flesh tones, for a better shading. It didn't quite work so well, but I did get some take aways from it, so it wasn't a total wash. I'll fix it tonight, or just blend it back into the flesh tone of his cheek/jaw. Not sure how i'll fix that just yet.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    I'd like to know what's best for cleaning it?

I actually put this question to MisterJustin - he owns and runs Secret Weapon miniatures, and knows his shit on airbrushing.

In short, it depends on how good of a care you want to take of your airbrush - but for the Grex brushes he uses, he runs water through his brush, then isoprobyl alcohol, then finishes it with water. It sounds odd, I know - but the alcohol can actually eat at the brass components in your airbrush, which ain't good. Don't leave any alcohol in the brush - always cleanse with water after alcohol. Ammonia based cleaners can also eat away at your brass in the brush as well, so he advised against it. Also, always clean your needle as soon as you're done painting. Just be careful - it doesn't take much to destroy an .02 or .05 needle. All you have to do is gently run it through a wet paper towel a few times, and it should clean well.

He also uses brushes from Harbor Freight. They're literally like, 20 dollar single action airbrushes. If he's spraying crackle medium, or something very unhealthy for a brush, he just uses and throws it away after.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    awesome, thanks for the advice guys!

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Dear painting thread,

I realized how long it's been since I posted real pictures of anything. Like, the beginning of January or something silly ... You treat me better than this, so I'll make sure to treat you better too. You'll just have to bear with me for a couple more days while I finish up Lady Aiyana and Master Holt. Perhaps with this nice long weekend I can take a moment to post pictures of my battle mages, arcanist, Kaelyssa, A&H, and the stormfalls I never properly photographed.
    Yup, I think that's something I need to do.

Sincerely,
    Arctic

• Options
    alqadimalqadim Registered User regular
    Painting my way through a mass of tactical marines means he paints the tac marine my friend or he gets the hose again. (Seriously I've had to get my wife involved and unless I present a painted tactical marine I am not allowed to box her boobies). that being said I also based and finished up a couple of bones minis that are in my oppressive pile of white plastic.

75A7F728-83FD-465C-B741-9974721EDD0A_zpsmjf5vdpl.jpg

This discussion has been closed.