As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wagglin' plagas (RE4 for Wii confirmed)

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    I just did the Zelda callibration just now. I wish I had done this before I completed the game.

Was I the only one who didn't notice a difference?

That's understandable given the reticule allowed you to use the Wii Remote as a 3D mouse as apposed to having to 'look down the iron sights' in order to aim like you would with an IR Blaster (and assumedly you will with the Wii Blaster).

Given the gameplay video of RE: Umbrella Chronicals, I'm betting that game will use the Wii Blaster because the images and video show no aiming reticule on screen when zombies are getting shot.

The "blaster" is just a plastic shell to hold the remote, assuming it's the same concept as what was shown at E3. The Wii is not capable of lightgun-style aiming so a crosshair is required no matter what. It's not plausible to calibrate the remote so accurately that you can play it using nothing but sights on a zapper shell.

Zek on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    apotheos wrote: »
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    I just did the Zelda callibration just now. I wish I had done this before I completed the game.

Was I the only one who didn't notice a difference?

That's understandable given the reticule allowed you to use the Wii Remote as a 3D mouse as apposed to having to 'look down the iron sights' in order to aim like you would with an IR Blaster (and assumedly you will with the Wii Blaster).

Given the gameplay video of RE: Umbrella Chronicals, I'm betting that game will use the Wii Blaster because the images and video show no aiming reticule on screen when zombies are getting shot.

The "blaster" is just a plastic shell to hold the remote, assuming it's the same concept as what was shown at E3. The Wii is not capable of lightgun-style aiming so a crosshair is required no matter what. It's not plausible to calibrate the remote so accurately that you can play it using nothing but sights on a zapper shell.

Why not?
    You calibrate the game telling it where the corners of the TV set are. Assuming you don't move the sensor bar, the remote can calculate where you shot and determine whether it was a hit.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's not plausible to calibrate the remote so accurately that you can play it using nothing but sights on a zapper shell.
    Yes it is.

Seriously, it is.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's not plausible to calibrate the remote so accurately that you can play it using nothing but sights on a zapper shell.
    Yes it is.

Seriously, it is.
    It's plausible, but will it happen?
    Dear god, yes, I hope so.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Yes it is.

Seriously, it is.

Only under the most controlled of circumstances and in a game that doesn't require you to be too precise. You could roughly calibrate the size of your screen by pointing at the corners, but to make the controller perfectly 1:1 you'd better do it exactly right and I'm sure it would be messed up if you moved around or got closer/further.

Zek on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    User error

Maybe YOU can't do it Zek, but most other people would be able to not fuck up some basic callibration.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yes it is.

Seriously, it is.

Only under the most controlled of circumstances and in a game that doesn't require you to be too precise. You could roughly calibrate the size of your screen by pointing at the corners, but to make the controller perfectly 1:1 you'd better do it exactly right and I'm sure it would be messed up if you moved around or got closer/further.
    Moving to the left or right too much might, but changing your distance from the screen wouldn't affect it that much, as long as the sensor bar stays within the remote's sight.

Light gun games aren't as accurate as you might think, anyway.

Edit: Wouldn't it make more sense for this conversation to be going on in the Umbrella Chronicles thread?

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's definately possible as I've got quite close with Zelda just now. You can still use it resting on your knee but take away the crosshairs and you'd have to point blaster style at the screen.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yes it is.

Seriously, it is.

The calibration is already present in Zelda.

I will explain it again.

Zelda's calibration makes you resize a vertical bar that is perfectly centered on screen to match the exact size of the sensor bar, which has a side effect of making the user perfectly align the censor bar. Because the console knows the width you made the vertical bar on screen and also the ratio of your television (3:4, 16:9) the horizontal axis is completely accounted for.

Next the game makes you physically point the wii remote at the center of the screen, then pressing the up or down buttons on the remote line up the two circles on the screen. That takes care of the vertical.

With this information the game can now calculate with great accuracy where you are pointing the remote at the screen because the information you gave it has allowed the game to not only calculate the size of your television but the position of the sensor bar relative to the exact center point of your screen.

It is hella clever, and it totally works.

Light gun games will work on Wii. I think Umbrella Chronicals will be the very first example of this.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Hopefully if later games use that style of calibration, they can also add an option to turn off the visible crosshair.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Yes it is.

Seriously, it is.

I will explain it again.

Zelda's calibration makes you resize a vertical bar that is perfectly centered on screen to match the exact size of the sensor bar, which has a side effect of making the user perfectly align the censor bar. Because the console knows the width you made the vertical bar on screen and also the ratio of your television (3:4, 16:9) the horizontal axis is completely accounted for.

Next the game makes you physically point the wii remote at the center of the screen, then pressing the up or down buttons on the remote line up the two circles on the screen. That takes care of the vertical.

With this information the game can now calculate with great accuracy where you are pointing the remote at the screen because the information you gave it has allowed the game to not only calculate the size of your television but the position of the sensor bar relative to the exact center point of your screen.

Light gun games will work on Wii. I think Umbrella Chronicals will be the very first example of this.

Zelda's method gives you something reasonably close but it is still not precise enough to work without a crosshair. For starters, the game can't assume the exact distance of your sensor bar from the screen. Different TVs have different margins and are set up in different ways. A difference of an inch or two would ruin a lightgun game.

Have you tried the laser pointer method on Zelda?

Zek on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hopefully if later games use that style of calibration, they can also add an option to turn off the visible crosshair.

I hope so too or it pretty much spoils the whole point.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    For starters, the game can't assume the exact distance of your sensor bar from the screen. Different TVs have different margins and are set up in different ways.
    That's what the vertical adjustment is for. It can assume the vertical size of the television relative to the horizontal size, due to the aspect ratio, so the vertical adjustment is used to let it know how far away the sensor bar is from the screen.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It hasn't been confirmed that the wiimote will be used for aiming right? I mean, it seems obvious that it would but it's possible that it might not happen.

EDIT: NVM, I just saw your updated translation.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    For starters, the game can't assume the exact distance of your sensor bar from the screen. Different TVs have different margins and are set up in different ways.
    That's what the vertical adjustment is for. It can assume the vertical size of the television relative to the horizontal size, due to the aspect ratio, so the vertical adjustment is used to let it know how far away the sensor bar is from the screen.
    Well, like I said it's a decent estimate, but the precision isn't perfect. If it worked it would only work in a very specific seating arrangement - multiplayer in particular would be a pain. It's technically possible but it's far too finnicky to be worthwhile, unless maybe they implemented some degree of auto-aiming.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Well, like I said it's a decent estimate, but the precision isn't perfect. If it worked it would only work in a very specific seating arrangement - multiplayer in particular would be a pain. It's technically possible but it's far too finnicky to be worthwhile, unless maybe they implemented some degree of auto-aiming.
    Multiplayer would work fine. As long as you're all in positions where the pointer works, then it would work the same for everyone. Distance wouldn't have a significant effect on the calibration of the remote, at least not until you're too far away for the pointer to work anyway.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Why would you have to tell it anything about the height? The Wiimote can 'see' the sensor bar anyway, and you can tell the game where the center of the TV is through callibration. Heck, if they included a second single-point sensor IR dot to put over/under the screen as a triangulation reference it probably wouldn't even matter if you moved around.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    A new method was developed to compensate for display technologies other than CRT. It relies on one or several infrared light emitters placed near the screen, and one IR sensor on the muzzle of the gun. When the trigger is pressed, the gun sends the intensity of the IR beam it detects. Since this intensity depends upon both distance and relative angle to the screen, angle sensors are located in the gun. This way a trigonometric equation system is solved, and the muzzle's 3D position relative to the screen is calculated. Then, by projecting the muzzle on the screen with the measured angles the impact point is determined. An early example of this technology (though not using IR) can be seen in the NES Power Glove Accessory, which used three ultrasonic sensors serving the same function as the IR emitters used in some lightguns.

A simpler variant is commonly used in arcades, where there are no angle detectors but 4 IR sensors. However, this can prove inaccurate when shooting from certain distances and angles, since the calculation of angles and 3D position has a larger margin of error.

Other variants include 3 or more emitters with different infrared wavelengths and the same number of sensors. With this method and proper calibration three or more relative angles are obtained, thus not needing angle detectors to position the gun.

Sometimes, the sensors are placed around the screen and the emitter on the gun, but calculations are similar.

This family of methods are used on Wii and modern arcade systems. See Wii Remote for an example.
    Doesn't seem like it would be too hard to get the wiimote to work as a lightgun.

Couscous on
  • Options
    KiwistrikeKiwistrike Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Kiwistrike wrote: »
    was I the only one who couldn't understand it?

all making bars smaller or something and a circle thats somehow supposed to align?

buh?
    First, you have to resize the bar on screen until it's the same as the physical size of your Sensor Bar.

Then, you move closer or farther from the TV until the cursor circle is the same size as the circle on-screen.

And finally, you physically point the remote at the center of the screen (ignoring the pointer) and adjust the pointer's vertical position until it matches where you're pointing.

Edit: Screeeeeeeen.

gosh, they could have maybe made that a little more clear. I sort of assumed that the circle part required you to move closer or further away from the tv, but what on earth? isnt there some other way to calibrate it?! I mean, I cant just rearrange my entire room for the wii.

Kiwistrike on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    was I the only one who couldn't understand it?

all making bars smaller or something and a circle thats somehow supposed to align?

buh?
    First, you have to resize the bar on screen until it's the same as the physical size of your Sensor Bar.

Then, you move closer or farther from the TV until the cursor circle is the same size as the circle on-screen.

And finally, you physically point the remote at the center of the screen (ignoring the pointer) and adjust the pointer's vertical position until it matches where you're pointing.

Edit: Screeeeeeeen.

gosh, they could have maybe made that a little more clear. I sort of assumed that the circle part required you to move closer or further away from the tv, but what on earth? isnt there some other way to calibrate it?! I mean, I cant just rearrange my entire room for the wii.
    That part isn't absolutely necessary. It's just the "optimal" distance. The other stuff is the most important part.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    An alternative way of calibrating it would be to get you to just aim towards some targets on screen. They would just have to display targets on various spots on the screen, and tell you to "shoot" them.

If they use 10-20 targets, then the calibration accuracy should be pretty good, and it should only take 30 seconds or so.

It wouldn't be as accurate as the Zelda method, but it would be simpler.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't remember calibrating my Zelda...

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    They could just have you "shoot" the four corners of the screen, and the center. That would probably suffice even for a lightgun game.

Is it possible that people not having perfect aim with the Zelda calibration actually have their sensor bars not perfectly centered above/below their TVs?

I'm personally very anal about getting my sensor bar perfectly centered above the TV, but the people I know with Wii's generally have it a tad to the left or right a few inches from center.

fuck i wish i remembered to bring zelda with me this weekend to test this out... stupid being out of town-ness..

slash000 on
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    They could just have you "shoot" the four corners of the screen, and the center. That would probably suffice even for a lightgun game.

It would be better to use a few more targets, just in case they "miss" a target. Or you could just have them shoot both the corners and the centre twice. That way, any little errors will be averaged out, and it will end up just as accurate as any other calibration method.

There's probably plenty of other ways to calibrate the Wii remote too, so light-gun games certainly are perfectly feasible on the Wii.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I never bothered to get RE4

Maybe I'll pick this up.

Evander on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Why are we talking about lightguns? This is the RE4 thread, not the RE:UC thread.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    agoaj wrote: »
    Why are we talking about lightguns? This is the RE4 thread, not the RE:UC thread.
    We somehow got into it. I think that the threads should just be merged, but hey, that's me.

I still want a good rail shooter for Wii. That is all I care about.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Aren't some modern televisions unable to do the flash required for lightgun games?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Aren't some modern televisions unable to do the flash required for lightgun games?
    If you're talking about old light-gun games, yes, essentially all modern televisions are incompatible. Only old-style CRT TVs work with Duck Hunt and the like.

That has nothing to do with new light-gun games, though. They don't use the "flash" method anymore.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    LurkerLurker Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    After looking up some nihongo I am reasonably sure B draws the gun, and A fires. Sorry about that.

Seems like it should be the other way around. Oh well.

Agreed. It just makes a lot more sense for the trigger button to be used to fire the gun. :x

Also, I wonder if you can just push the Z button to do the 180 turn or if you'll still have to push down on the analog stick?

Lurker on
    fulljokerempireeditcs5lqt7.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Lurker wrote: »
    After looking up some nihongo I am reasonably sure B draws the gun, and A fires. Sorry about that.

Agreed. It just makes a lot more sense for the trigger button to be used to fire the gun. :x

Also, I wonder if you can just push the Z button to do the 180 turn or if you'll still have to push down on the analog stick?
    Well it specifies Stick Down + Z is 180-degree turn. I guess my thingy isn't very clear on that. Z + Up does something else, I don't know what. Z by itself may do something, but it's something written in Kanji and I don't actually know any Japanese.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

Well it specifies Stick Down + Z is 180-degree turn. I guess my thingy isn't very clear on that. Z + Up does something else, I don't know what. Z by itself may do something, but it's something written in Kanji and I don't actually know any Japanese.
    Running?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    agoaj wrote: »

Running?
    Oh.

Duh.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yes it is.

Seriously, it is.

I will explain it again.

Zelda's method gives you something reasonably close but it is still not precise enough to work without a crosshair. For starters, the game can't assume the exact distance of your sensor bar from the screen. Different TVs have different margins and are set up in different ways. A difference of an inch or two would ruin a lightgun game.

Did you read my post? The very last part. Here I'll copy and paste it for you:

"With this information the game can now calculate with great accuracy where you are pointing the remote at the screen because the information you gave it has allowed the game to not only calculate the size of your television but the position of the sensor bar relative to the exact center point of your screen."

The margin of the television is irrelevant. The calibration tells the Wii where your sensor bar is and where the exact center of your screen is, and also the size and shape of your screen. With this information, all the console has to do is track the IR emitters on the sensor bar. The only thing that could fuck it up is if someone moved the sensor bar after you calibrated it, or if you calibrated it sloppily/wrong.

Pixel perfect aiming is more than possible. I don't see why it is so hard for you people to accept this. It isn't like quantum physics or string theory or something. It's really a matter of simple geometry.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yes it is.

Seriously, it is.

I will explain it again.

Did you read my post? The very last part. Here I'll copy and paste it for you:

"With this information the game can now calculate with great accuracy where you are pointing the remote at the screen because the information you gave it has allowed the game to not only calculate the size of your television but the position of the sensor bar relative to the exact center point of your screen."

The margin of the television is irrelevant. The calibration tells the Wii where your sensor bar is and where the exact center of your screen is, and also the size and shape of your screen. With this information, all the console has to do is track the IR emitters on the sensor bar. The only thing that could fuck it up is if someone moved the sensor bar after you calibrated it, or if you calibrated it sloppily/wrong.

Pixel perfect aiming is more than possible. I don't see why it is so hard for you people to accept this. It isn't like quantum physics or string theory or something. It's really a matter of simple geometry.

Yeah its possible but not with the standard wiimote. You would absolutely need the wii zapper thing to get real lightgun action just because you cant hold a remote like a gun and aim the same.

Also I will go on record to say that more RE4 can never be a bad thing.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Oh totally. You need a handle and sights of some sort.

I hope the aiming reticule for RE4 gets a little less.... well... it just looks weird.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Frankly, from what I've seen of the Zapper attachment, it doesn't even really do the job itself, as it doesn't have any sights either.

I would guess that they could make something that attaches to the analog stick. Talk about awkward.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Looking forward to this game. I will be drawn and quartered for this, but I have RE4 for the cube and just can't get around to finishing it. I'm not even very far in I don't think (just started getting to they guys with the chainsaws). My biggest issue with the game is that I find the current aiming system clunky. It isn't a bad way of doing it, I just don't personally like it.

I will surely rent this wii version to see if I like the controls and keep it if I do (probably rent it at blockbuster)

Smudge on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    If you're talking about old light-gun games, yes, essentially all modern televisions are incompatible. Only old-style CRT TVs work with Duck Hunt and the like.

That has nothing to do with new light-gun games, though. They don't use the "flash" method anymore.

Nor have they since like, 1992.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Woodroez wrote: »
    Frankly, from what I've seen of the Zapper attachment, it doesn't even really do the job itself, as it doesn't have any sights either.

I would guess that they could make something that attaches to the analog stick. Talk about awkward.

The only zapper attachment they've shown is more of a conceptual thing than anything else. I doubt that a final zapper attachment, should they ever make one, would look or be designed in the same way.

slash000 on