As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This was the Last PS4 Thread

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Bubby wrote: »
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Its bigger than any game they've ever made.

As in provably bigger. With math.

Means absolutely nothing. I'm right there with the Dragon Age 2 comparisons, it feels like this is going to be exactly that. I canceled my pre-order after the beta left me completely cold.
    I, on the other hand, had almost no interest in Destiny until I played the beta and had a hell of a lot of fun. For whatever reason, Halo really never grabbed me any of the times I've tried to get into it, but Destiny has me salivating over the white PS4 bundle, trying to negotiate with my wife to make it my early birthday present.

I think the hype machine (fueled by money) is clouding a lot of people's judgment. If you actually look at what's there and ignore everything else, how is it any better or different from a standard shooter? The writing and dialogue is so forgettable it might as well have not even existed, the shooting is nothing special, the MMO aspects are superficial... I just don't see what the big deal is. It has no character, and as much as I think the Halo franchise is overrated as all hell, it was not lacking in that department until the fourth game.

I'd be glad to be proven wrong in reviews of the full game, but right now I just see it as a generic MMO-lite fps with reused assets and not a lot of memorable content.

Bubby on
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I'd be glad to be proven wrong in reviews of the full game, but right now I just see it as a generic MMO-lite fps with reused assets and not a lot of memorable content.

I don't really need Destiny to be much more than that, to be able to enjoy it.

But the rise of the free-to-play game, and various 'free' games included with Plus/Gold, are making it a more dubious value proposition than it would've been last generation. So yeah, I'm hoping there's a good amount of storytelling and that it's not just relegated dozens of hours of exposition from bored robot Tyrion.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Duplicate post.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Are people still saying "Dinklage is supposed to sound bored, he's a robot"? It was so unbearably transparent he did not give a single fuck about the game by listening to him in the beta - the robot is supposed to have personality, it just wasn't there. I don't blame him for picking up the check, it's more Bungie's fault for just picking someone who's huge right now without thinking if he's right for the part or if he even cares about video games in the first place.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Diablo III story spoilers. Specifically Act IV.
    Lately I've been thinking about which pet peeve bothers me the most with videogame storytelling. I would have to say the most bothersome is when a story writes a character with a tragic fate, but fails to deliver the emotional gravity or exposition needed to make it effective.

Diablo III pulls this shit not once but twice. I didn't play the previous games so Cain wasn't a longtime favorite character or anything, but his death was abrupt and hastily sped along that you pretty much forget it ever happened.

Leah is many times worse because of how mean-spirited it came across. Betrayed by her own mother, turned into the ultimate hellspawn of evil, a stark contrast to a character we were supposed to identify with because of the Jennifer Hale voice and purdy CG hair.

But aside from a couple of words, her transformation and subsequent death are handled by the majority of story characters as "Eh."

I wouldn't say it's a knock against female characters like so many other games are being accused of, just bad writing. It bothers me because not only is it wasted potential, it makes any other character you probably did like come across as cold and uncaring.

• Options
    Diablo 3 is one of the all time worst written games ever made, everyone knows this. I could write an essay on what's wrong with it, but it would take too long and "everything" covers it pretty well.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    "The demons of hell will FEAST upon your corpses for all eternity! Isn't our dialogue just so GRAND? I bet you have never heard a spooky demon from hell tell you how you will DIE! Never before has this been done in a videogame, comic book, movie, anime, children's cartoon, or Bible school story. We are LEGION!"

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Diablo is a cartoon though, like its a baseline fantasy just like warcraft and starcraft and all that stuff. It doesnt annoy me nearly as much as game which are supposed to have amazing stories but are just garbage. Diablo 3 seems to lean more towards intentionally cheesy and corny, I wouldnt really get annoyed or dissapointed at the story in a blizzard game because that seems to be largely their intent. Not writing bad on purpose,but going for a saturday morning cartoon tone

Prohass on
  • Options
    I wouldn't accept that kind of shitty treatment of a central character in a Saturday morning cartoon, either.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Prohass wrote: »
    Diablo is a cartoon though, like its a baseline fantasy just like warcraft and starcraft and all that stuff. It doesnt annoy me nearly as much as game which are supposed to have amazing stories but are just garbage. Diablo 3 seems to lean more towards intentionally cheesy and corny, I wouldnt really get annoyed or dissapointed at the story in a blizzard game because that seems to be largely their intent. Not writing bad on purpose,but going for a saturday morning cartoon tone

I disagree. It tries to be dark and atmospheric, and the writing totally pushes against this whenever it can. It also doesn't help that Diablo 2 was a masterpiece of mood with a really great (yet rather minimalistic) plot, when comparing the two Diablo 3 really does feel like a children's game. So maybe a wannabe atmospheric children's game is the best defense of it, but I wouldn't let my kid play it with the constant violence and gore explosions.

Bubby on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    eh, Diablo 2 was good because of what you read into it, and how little there was.

Diablo 3 is basically a children-focussed game, or a young teen, in terms of its art style and content. Its pg13. Blizzard has been like that for a long time. Warcraf 3, ten years of wow and starcraft 2. They arent exactly writing serious shit. They write fun campy kind of corny cheese storylines, with cartoon plots. I mean I'd like it if they were better, but expecting a great story for diablo 3 based on diablo 2, you were going to be dissapointed.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Diablo 3 is basically a children-focussed game, or a young teen, in terms of its art style and content.

I'm sorry, what? The piles of dead, torn apart corpses are CHILDREN FOCUSED?!?

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Diablo 3 is basically a children-focussed game, or a young teen, in terms of its art style and content.

Yeah. The original Diablo came out in 1996. I was 14, a kid, and it greatly appealed to me. I'm pretty sure that Diablo 3 appeals to today's 13 to 14 year olds just as much.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Yeah. The original Diablo came out in 1996. I was 14, a kid, and it greatly appealed to me. I'm pretty sure that Diablo 3 appeals to today's 13 to 14 year olds just as much.

Appealed to and focused on are two very very very different things. Diablo 3's art style is NOT children focused even if the story is beneath even them.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    SInce we're talking Diablo III, I don't understand the reasoning behind the villain's plan in Reaper of Souls
    Malthael wants to end the eternal conflict for good, so why doesn't he just take the soulstone to hell? Pretty much instantly kill every demon and be done with it. Why kill all humans who have no interest in even having a war with the angels?

Also, Imperius is a dick. Hate that guy.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    10 PAGES REMAIN.

Cherish them! Squander them not upon tales of the ineptitude of Diablo 3's tale!

You know, I really want to love my PS4; there are so many things that it's doing right as a next-gen console, but it spends most of it's time just sitting there in standby. I played through Second Son. I played through most of PT. By far, the most playtime it's gotten has been the various Destiny Alphas and Betas. So there it sits, waiting for September 9.

I'm sure it'll get better, but so far, I'm disappointed in the lack of software this gen. And that's not a PS4 thing specifically, but yeah. That's my Page 90 State of Houn's PS4 recap thing.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular

Means absolutely nothing. I'm right there with the Dragon Age 2 comparisons, it feels like this is going to be exactly that. I canceled my pre-order after the beta left me completely cold.
    I, on the other hand, had almost no interest in Destiny until I played the beta and had a hell of a lot of fun. For whatever reason, Halo really never grabbed me any of the times I've tried to get into it, but Destiny has me salivating over the white PS4 bundle, trying to negotiate with my wife to make it my early birthday present.

I think the hype machine (fueled by money) is clouding a lot of people's judgment. If you actually look at what's there and ignore everything else, how is it any better or different from a standard shooter? The writing and dialogue is so forgettable it might as well have not even existed, the shooting is nothing special, the MMO aspects are superficial... I just don't see what the big deal is. It has no character, and as much as I think the Halo franchise is overrated as all hell, it was not lacking in that department until the fourth game.

This is so incredibly arrogant. "Oh, other people like this game? Must be because they were seduced by advertising tricks!" Because that will totally mask a bad game while you're in the process of playing it for dozens of hours over a limited beta. Yeah. Must not actually like it. Thanks for setting me straight!

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Houn wrote: »
    I'm sure it'll get better, but so far, I'm disappointed in the lack of software this gen. And that's not a PS4 thing specifically, but yeah. That's my Page 90 State of Houn's PS4 recap thing.

I don't mean to offend, but how old were you when last gen started? Because there is FAR more software being released with the first year of the PS4 then the PS3's first year on the market. For the first year the PS3 was out in North America it released 85 games. This week saw the 91st PS4 game released, and we still have September, October, and part of November to go before that first year is up.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Theres really no excuse for the d3 storyline or storytelling. The reason and easy blame is metzen's ego. But it's also a diablo game and as soon as players could play the game without having to deal with story quests, they flocked to that mode. See bloody/cow runs in D2.

What reused assets?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Diablo 3 is one of the all time worst written games ever made, everyone knows this. I could write an essay on what's wrong with it, but it would take too long and "everything" covers it pretty well.

All time worst written?

Really?

I won't say that the story is good, but it's perfectly average. There are hundreds of worse written game's out there.

• Options
    PsykerPsyker MARegistered User regular
    If anyone wants to add me to for gifting or rifts on Diablo 3 my PSN is sleepallwinter. I have a poorly geared 70 WD haha, I'm currently running Master.

Also signed up for the Destiny clan and I'll be playing NHL. Always looking for more people to play games with.

• Options

I don't mean to offend, but how old were you when last gen started? Because there is FAR more software being released with the first year of the PS4 then the PS3's first year on the market. For the first year the PS3 was out in North America it released 85 games. This week saw the 91st PS4 game released, and we still have September, October, and part of November to go before that first year is up.

I near my mid-30s. I'm aware that numerically it would appear that software is being released for the PS4 far faster than recent console comparisons, but very little of it interests me. I suppose I should have been clear on that point; there is software, but not a lot of it is catching my eye so far.

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited August 2014

I near my mid-30s. I'm aware that numerically it would appear that software is being released for the PS4 far faster than recent console comparisons, but very little of it interests me. I suppose I should have been clear on that point; there is software, but not a lot of it is catching my eye so far.

I feel the same way. We have a ton of Single-A Indies that are cheap/short/niche and a slow trickle of Triple-A titles. I'd like to see more Double-A games from Indies as well as the big developers. These days I don't have a lot of time for 60+ hour games, but I also want something with more meat on its bones than the standard Indie.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    Beltaine wrote: »

I feel the same way. We have a dearth of Single-A Indies that are cheap/short/niche and a slow trickle of Triple-A titles. I'd like to see more Double-A games from Indies as well as the big developers. These days I don't have a lot of time for 60+ hour games, but I also want something with more meat on its bones than the standard Indie.

It doesn't help that a lot of the indie stuff is either cheaper on Steam, or I find better suited to Vita as I'd like to be able to play them without turning on the TV and console.

I guess I'm having a hard time finding a niche for my PS4; I want to be using it for big-screen spectacle games, stuff like Destiny and Second Son. I'll probably grab D3 eventually, but with Destiny so close, I'm trying to hold off on buying any games that I'll just stop playing on 9/9...

• Options
    Theres really no excuse for the d3 storyline or storytelling. The reason and easy blame is metzen's ego. But it's also a diablo game and as soon as players could play the game without having to deal with story quests, they flocked to that mode. See bloody/cow runs in D2.

What reused assets?

You just repeated the same level over and over in the beta.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    You realize that the Beta is not the full game, right? And was probably packaged just for Beta.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    nusu wrote: »

Forget about if Destiny will be worth it or not, and feast your eyes upon this!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Dust is a great game. not to long but well worth picking up if you haven't played it before.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    What the fuck. You can't play a game you bought from PSN without a connection. What the fuck is this?

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Pretty sure I've played psn games without an Internet connection in the past. They might have changed it recently however.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    You can definitely play offline. Even PS+ stuff has a built in timer, so it knows when to disable.

What specific game is the problem?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    @CaptainNemo‌

Do you have the console set as your primary?

I think it has to verify licenses every time if not.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    I thought I did. I thought for sure I did. Lemme check my PSN account.

• Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    I thought I did. I thought for sure I did. Lemme check my PSN account.

I remember that hitting some people near launch when there were PSN issues. Can be very frustrating.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    And of course, the page I'd go to about that information is down. Fucking joy.

• Options
    There is maintenance today, is that it?

• Options
    I don't see why maintenance would make them forget I own the game. What may have happened is that this is actually my second PS4 due to an equally whacky misadventure involving loose screws in the consoles. It's possible that I never properly activated this as my primary, despite me remembering doing that.

I'll check out some stuff at 4:30, that's when the network is due back online.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Adda wrote: »
    @CaptainNemo‌

Do you have the console set as your primary?

I think it has to verify licenses every time if not.

Is that what you need to do? I too can't access any digital games right now because of maintenance, and it pisses me off.

I could have sworn I made it my primary console before, but maybe the settings were changed when I had my account hacking issue.

So what time does this end in PST/EST? Is it 5 am or pm?

Edit: If I'm reading this chart right, it should end at midnight EST for me.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Yikes, wrong thread.

• Options
    So it's not just me. Damn. The if I understand correctly, PSN should be up in two hours for me, about 8 or so EST.

This discussion has been closed.