Options

This was the Last PS4 Thread

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    So Finished First Light, It was...Pretty good. It's a shame they have reused quite a lot from the Second Son in terms of Fetch's abilities.

How long is it?

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    OlliOlli is now out for PS4 and PS3

If you bought the Vita version, they are Cross-Buy and Cross-Save

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    So Finished First Light, It was...Pretty good. It's a shame they have reused quite a lot from the Second Son in terms of Fetch's abilities.

How long is it?

It's taken me roughly 2/2.5 hours to do the main game and the side missions within the main game. I still have to do the Arena modes and there are some challenges that earn ability tokens for upgrades but otherwise thats it.
    You get the first half of Seattle from Second Son to roam in for the main game.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Dang, so it's not even a new area?

That kills my interest.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Darlan wrote: »
    Allforce wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Any excitement I had for Destiny has been stolen away by Garden Warfare!

Oooh, I hope that means you aren't getting Destiny any time soon. I may have... cancelled my preorder.

I did too. I think I pre-ordered for the beta access, which I loved, but the game is going to be 30 bucks somewhere in a month so I'm just going to wait.
    I cancelled mine as well until I get a clearer picture of how much game there is without retreading the same area. I want to believe that Bungie has maintained their quality, but man four planets total, and they were already retreading ground quite a bit in what we saw of the earth level...eeesh, it's REALLY feeling like Bungie's Dragon Age 2. I hope I'm wrong, though.

This is the craziest thing I've ever read.
    You aren't concerned about a lack of content? I mean they were already heavily reusing areas just in the beta, and have confirmed that there are only four planet areas...it's not some kind of guarantee that it will be a terrible game, but I think some skepticism is perfectly valid.

• Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    Its bigger than any game they've ever made.

As in provably bigger. With math.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    2zjgt1i.jpg

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Raynaga wrote: »

That doesn't matter so much if you're retreading the same areas again and again via questionable design decisions...which has been a bit of a problem with Bungie in the past. come to think of it. The design of an MMO with the breadth of a standard FPS campaign makes for a kind of shitty game.

Again, maybe I'm wrong and it'll be fine! It's just hard to get super excited and take them at their word when I felt like I had thoroughly explored, re-explored, and re-re-explored the first world in only a few hours (I plated a with the beta, and to then to hear there's only three more of those...

Darlan on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Looks like the easiest way to get my PS4 audio into my PC is going to be a DAC, something like http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-Analog-audio-converter/dp/B004C4WPXA/
    However, that thing is dirt cheap and probably not going to have the best audio quality. Or, since it's going to my PC after that, will that matter? This is unknown territory for me and DACs appear to range in price from 10 dollars to hundreds of dollars. Any recommendations?

No idea if this works or not, but hell, this guy is saying you can use a USB DAC, so theoretically I pop it into a USB port, run a 3.5mm line in cable from it to my PC and i'd be golden?
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/69310423

I guess I can just use the mono headphone in the controller for voice chat and throw that in my ear inside my sennheisers when I do multi.

So for my HTPC which has a 5.1 for our sound system in the living room, I bought a soundcard that had optical in(and my tv had optical out, so all inputs to the tv fedback into the htpc for sound, including the ps4). Best $50 I ever spent. you can get similar cards for like 35-100 (to stupid expensive for stuff you dont need). It's a digital connection so as long as the card is supported by your pc you are good to go. Razer makes an AC-1 barracuda and you can find them refurb on woot every so often(although rarer). PS4 sound will be ok, but if you do similar to me with the TV, broadcast 5.1 can get fucked if you dont have the right decoding stuff on the card. It gets more complicated.

Depends on if you are comfortable installing a PCI card in your machine and if you want to mess with dealing with new hardware.

Totally comfortable with that, but no PCI card slot available. Ended up getting a DAC and it works great! Yay ventrilo+PS4. Haven't played Second Son but I snagged First Light to try out as a shiny pretty thing (although TLOU remastered is doing great with that too) and am excited to try that after work. Yay PS4!

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular

Oooh, I hope that means you aren't getting Destiny any time soon. I may have... cancelled my preorder.

I did too. I think I pre-ordered for the beta access, which I loved, but the game is going to be 30 bucks somewhere in a month so I'm just going to wait.
    I cancelled mine as well until I get a clearer picture of how much game there is without retreading the same area. I want to believe that Bungie has maintained their quality, but man four planets total, and they were already retreading ground quite a bit in what we saw of the earth level...eeesh, it's REALLY feeling like Bungie's Dragon Age 2. I hope I'm wrong, though.

This is the craziest thing I've ever read.
    You aren't concerned about a lack of content? I mean they were already heavily reusing areas just in the beta, and have confirmed that there are only four planet areas...it's not some kind of guarantee that it will be a terrible game, but I think some skepticism is perfectly valid.

There was plenty of content for me. I put like 15 or something hours into the beta, and there were plenty of areas I only ran through a couple of times. And personally, I liked that I was walking through areas I'd been through on Mission 1 or 2, during mission 4 or 5. I liked that it dropped you in the middle of the world and you had to make your way to the story zone, but that on the way, a Devil Tank could drop on your head because you were in the "real" world.

Then I went to the Moon and was blown away by how different it was than Earth. And then to know that there were multiple locked areas on Earth as well? Awesome.

But also, I almost always played with someone else. If I was solo, I was chest hunting in the opening area and doing Bounties or a few missions. But playing through the story missions and such with a fireteam? That never got even a little old for me. So, that could be where I'm coming from--I don't plan to play Destiny as a single-player experience, and as a co-op experience, it was fantastic.

If I get I can get even 10 hours out of each planet, not even counting the Raid and PvP? $60 is weeeeelll worth that 40 hours of total enjoyment to me. And I'm pretty sure over the course of maxing out both a Titan and Warlock, I will get more than that.

But if you want a single-player experience, where the focus is the plot progressing from point A to point B and lasting you 60+ hours? Yeah, probably not the game for you. But are there any game like Destiny that actually does provide that?

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    My main problem with the PS3 Destiny beta is...why do I have to go back to my ship, then go to the tower? Just...let me go to the tower? Seems like a console problem, not something you'd see on a PC? Still intrigued but I am also extremely wary about it for the same reasons. Seems like it could be very sparse, or feature tons of backtracking.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Hope the PSN stuff if all cleanly wrapped up before Destiny launches, if it isn't, that could seriously hurt it.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Man, I remember back when backtracking was a goddamn feature. :stuck_out_tongue:

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    OlliOlli is now out for PS4 and PS3

If you bought the Vita version, they are Cross-Buy and Cross-Save

Thanks for killing any sort of productivity for me at work tonight...

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular

Means absolutely nothing. I'm right there with the Dragon Age 2 comparisons, it feels like this is going to be exactly that. I canceled my pre-order after the beta left me completely cold.

• Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    I still think the 2 weeks can not go by fast enough. Exploring the map in Destiny was pretty fun, even if I got taken out instantly by high level enemies in a cave.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I loved Dragon Age 2, so fine by me

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Yeah, the explore area of Russia was the size of one large Halo level it seemed.

IDK how this game is the biggest Bungie made.

And I'm still bummed Mercury got left out of SP!!!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Man, I remember back when backtracking was a goddamn feature. :stuck_out_tongue:

Resident Evil 1 & 2, anybody?

;)

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »

Means absolutely nothing. I'm right there with the Dragon Age 2 comparisons, it feels like this is going to be exactly that. I canceled my pre-order after the beta left me completely cold.
    I, on the other hand, had almost no interest in Destiny until I played the beta and had a hell of a lot of fun. For whatever reason, Halo really never grabbed me any of the times I've tried to get into it, but Destiny has me salivating over the white PS4 bundle, trying to negotiate with my wife to make it my early birthday present.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Well, it is. If you wanna come talk to it, feel free. It's powerful rebellious.
    My PS4 tends to jam and brick 1/10 times I leave it in standby, across 2 seperate units I've had. I assume it's something to do with power fluctuations or... eh. Since I've taken to turning it off all the time, it's not jammed once. :P

I would be blowing up Sony's customer service phones if I were either of you.

Shit, my OG fat 60GB PS3 doesn't get warm to the touch when I'm paying games on it in Summer in an un-airconditioned apartment (40+ degrees) in Australia. The air coming out of the vents is warm, but the unit itself is room temperature.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Not overly thrilled with First Light. It's kind of mediocre =\

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular

This is an Activision game that is almost certainly going to be a big hit. It'll be $30 in like two years and even then, that's a long shot.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Not overly thrilled with First Light. It's kind of mediocre =\

I think they missed a big opportunity to really go and push themselves with this game. They had such an interesting character they could have fleshed out a story and given an interesting new set of powers (she is missing all the unique ones that she had in Second Son, to be given exactly most of Deslin's). Or even toyed with something like a new small town area to play with (a copy of the first half of Seattle in Second Son only with far less to do. The end area of the game is generic linear and looked almost ripped off from Uncharted 2). Or even tried to combat the issues of Infamous Second Son (stuff like emptiness of the city, repetitive side missions, more varied characters/ enemies to interact with). However, they didn't and while I still think the game is fun, its a bit of a let down.

• Options
    MattitudeMattitude Paste Pot Pete Kicking The BucketRegistered User regular
    My PS4 camera arrives today. Gonna stream ALL THE THINGS. At some point me and my housemate are gonna get together and stream P.T. and Outlast, like everyone else in the world has, because watching people get scared is fun!

I got this Tumblr and I don't know how to use it.
    Decide on the next line by the rhyme when I choose it.
    Also I put songs on YouTube
    The musings of this lonely rube.

I made a thread once. It didn't end well for me.
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying First Light so far, save file said I'm about 25% through

Having played Second Son recently, I'm still familiar with the town so it's cool to see some things again, like...
    one of the first tasks has you running to different sniping positions to shoot akurans. The final perch is right in front of what later becomes her sniper nest.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    Got my pair of Gold headsets in the mail. These are comfy. Also I'm pretty sure there are people talking in the background of the PS4 home screen. There is this chatter if you listen real carefully.

Your microphone is picking up some stuff. I think if you hold down the Mute bouton down for an extended period of time (a few seconds) you hear different tone each time. This is to set the level of microphone feedback you get into your headphones. Handy to have a little bit to hear you talk in game but it sure picks up stuff around the house when you aren't talking. So long for noise canceling tech.

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    My PS4 tends to jam and brick 1/10 times I leave it in standby, across 2 seperate units I've had. I assume it's something to do with power fluctuations or... eh. Since I've taken to turning it off all the time, it's not jammed once. :P

Shit, my OG fat 60GB PS3 doesn't get warm to the touch when I'm paying games on it in Summer in an un-airconditioned apartment (40+ degrees) in Australia. The air coming out of the vents is warm, but the unit itself is room temperature.

Since I've had 2 separate PS4s do it, sure they'd blame user error or some shit. :I

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    For the first time, I had to hard reset my PS4 multiple times last night but found out the issue wasn't the PS4, it waqs Twitch. I was trying to stream my last part of TLOU and every time I would select twitch has provider to broadcast it would go into an infinit loading/waiting and if you pressed anything to canceled that, it would just freeze. Then notice that Twitch was reporting signon issues with their website and 2 hours later it was back and everything worked out. So long for streaming that part.

Might Stream the Left Behind tonight and see how that goes. I do have a question regarding the PS4 Camera. even if the camera sits on your TV at about 8 feet from you, Can you "zoom in" to yourself for the stream broadcast ir it's just a wide view of my entire room that people will see?

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Sony's "customer service" exists for two things, redirect the problem to someone else and get you off the phone. They won't do jack shit about it.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Having had to interact with them pretty heavily this year due to afforementioned PS4 hardware trubs, and getting my account hacked, yeah they're not great.

In the time sensitive situation of losing my account, they were super lackadaisical and ambivalent about the whole thing, taking several days to restore it to me despite having plenty of photo ID proof that the account was mine, compared to my bank who froze the associated credit card immediately.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    My one interaction with Sony support when I had to send in my defective PS4 and also forgot to deactivate it as my primary console was super positive. But it was just an online chat, so maybe that helped.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    QUIET SKULL ADULTS ARE TALKING

i swear give someone a Phd and they think they can just jump into any damn conversation

• Options
    That's Dr. Skull, dammit. I didn't got to University of Phoenix online college for a month to earn this legit Phd for nothing, you know.

• Options
    I keep telling you, Candy Eating is not a legitimate major.

• Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    Guibs wrote: »
    For the first time, I had to hard reset my PS4 multiple times last night but found out the issue wasn't the PS4, it waqs Twitch. I was trying to stream my last part of TLOU and every time I would select twitch has provider to broadcast it would go into an infinit loading/waiting and if you pressed anything to canceled that, it would just freeze. Then notice that Twitch was reporting signon issues with their website and 2 hours later it was back and everything worked out. So long for streaming that part.

Twitch was getting ddos attacked last night, looks like they need to update the ps4 apps/streaming code to handle twitch errors like being unavailable.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular

This is an Activision game that is almost certainly going to be a big hit. It'll be $30 in like two years and even then, that's a long shot.

You might be right but I'd like to quote this and see what happens. COD Ghosts was the biggest selling title across every platform (including current-gen) in 2013 and it hit 25 bucks for a new copy before Martin Luther King Day. But to be fair I'll likely buy this used anyways which wouldn't really apply to the situation. I mean I know GameFly WILL be selling it for 35 bucks with their "Keep It" price the day it comes out, just like every other brand new release.

I think Activision is more interested nowadays in getting people into the ecosystem, even through aggressive pricing where they can then sell map packs, cosmetic items, co-op missions, etc.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Decided not to go the wireless route, and instead got a Turtle Beach DSS2 to go along with my X12 headset. It sounds great, though it does 5.1 Dolby, not 7.1. I like where the volume, bass, chat controls are placed on the X12 and didn't want to change that up. The auxiliary input is a nice touch, though I had to use a 3.5mm stereo extender to reach the couch with my iPhone connected to it. It's a nice, versatile setup, though it would've been the far pricier solution if I didn't have the headset already.

It also helps that I'm kind of okay with cords in my man-cave.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

That's equivalent to like, $70au isn't it? It'll be that price (or maybe $80au) day of release in Australia in JB Hi Fi. Probably Big W too.

This discussion has been closed.