As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3:RoS] The Merch Hungers | see new thread

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Yes, Brolo, this is precisely why I must wear it.

EDIT: Shit, I'm out of Veiled Crystals. Guess it's time to start salvaging instead of selling again.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    well, you're giving up a fair bit of toughness to run it, no way around that. So how 'feasible' it is would be up to you.

as far as I know the paragon bonus is included in the movement speed cap; the book on movement speed is to avoid it on gear and just get it from paragon anyway, since the value of movement speed affixes is not really very large.

I had a garwulf cloak that I messed with for a while but ultimately sharded due to truly awful rolls; three wolves is pretty fun and they actually tank for you a fair bit. They won't save you from aoe damage/thunderstorms/etc though.

Yeah, kinda how i was seeing it...three wolves can be a slight toughness bump and very slight damage bump. Very slight.

I'm just trying to decide whether it's worth wasting a couple souls on to reroll to begin with, and if so whether I should reroll the movement or sockets. I guess the second question is the first one I need advice on, because it helps frame the first? Looking from a perspective of "how much better can I make the piece" I guess rerolling the movement speed makes more sense, since it gives me a decent chance at Armor/Life/Vit/ReducedEliteDamage. At first I thought rerolling the socket made sense, since one of three is a shit roll for the affix (and if I've got the gems, which I do, two more sockets can actually turn into a pretty decent buff too).

I guess I'm leaning towards not...especially since a reroll has like a 50% or more chance of being shit (either a bad roll on an affix, or a skill buff to a skill I don't use).

Grump. Want more wolves.

I can probably wear it in T1, though. For funsies.

I think you underestimate the damage two extra wolves do. Note that the latest patch changed pet mechanics so that they fully benefit from crit damage (before they only got the base 50% and it did not scale with gear). Think about how nuts WDs would go if zed dogs did 100% wep damage in a cone.

• Options
    Yeah, was just running that cloak as-is and noticed the numbers popping up off mah dogs. It's a pretty sizeable damage bump. So yeah, think I'll try to reroll the sockets.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    It's a pretty nice cloak, and Toughness is massively overinflated by Vitality and life %. I think three sockets with diamonds in them and you'll be fine.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    It's a pretty nice cloak, and Toughness is massively overinflated by Vitality and life %. I think three sockets with diamonds in them and you'll be fine.

Rolled triple sockets on the first try, nice. And yeah, with three diamonds I'm doing just fine. Agree that Vit/Life inflate toughness too much...you simply can't buff life as fast as damage (particularly elite damage) scales, you have to reduce it so that (at least in my case) the LoH keeps up.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    The thing I've learned playing my Crusader is that Toughness and Healing are pretty intertwined. Toughness helps keep damage from spiking too hard, but you need to be able to replenish that life lost, otherwise you lose the attrition war. Having a giant health globe is meaningless if I can't restore it in some way. So I've pretty much focused on +all resist and armor for toughness, with just enough Vitality to keep me between 320-350K life. So while my Toughness appears low because of that, it's really not. And I easily heal through any damage with Life Regen, Wrathful, and Holy Cause.

• Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    The thing I've learned playing my Crusader is that Toughness and Healing are pretty intertwined. Toughness helps keep damage from spiking too hard, but you need to be able to replenish that life lost, otherwise you lose the attrition war. Having a giant health globe is meaningless if I can't restore it in some way. So I've pretty much focused on +all resist and armor for toughness, with just enough Vitality to keep me between 320-350K life. So while my Toughness appears low because of that, it's really not. And I easily heal through any damage with Life Regen, Wrathful, and Holy Cause.

Agreed. This is what I do on my crusader, my toughness is at 6.2M with about 360k HP. My paper healing looks low, but it has been fine. Die now and again, but it's actually pretty rare. Plus you can use that one passive to make all those diamonds you socket double as strength gems.

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    When does socketing emeralds outweigh rubies in terms of damage?

I've a crusader I've been levelling using hand-me-down rubies from my 70 wizard (and been melting stuff on T1 from about lv10...) but I've hit 45 or so and I'm now wondering when to switch up to +critdmg. No big deal either way, mind, I'm hardly struggling yet.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    The value of +critdmg is dependent on your crit chance (which is likely fairly low at 45) and your existing +critdmg. In comparison with +dmg, the slower your attack speed, the more advantage +critdmg has over +dmg. I've wondered a few times if I stack attack speed with a fast weapon, if that would be better than critical damage. Anyway, if you can get your crit chance up to around 15% or so I would strongly suggest using an emerald over a ruby.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I feel like around the time your weapons break 1k DPS, you should start using Emeralds

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    So is the WD Gargantuan bugged, or are the tooltips wrong? Because I was playing with Mace earlier and he said with Slam Dance his crits for 150-200 million and that seems just...way too high no matter how good someone's gear is?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I feel like around the time your weapons break 1k DPS, you should start using Emeralds

I think it's more dependent on getting ~15% or more crit chance.

• Options

Yeah, I mean if you're talking about as you level up, you switch over when the additional white damage from the ruby is no longer a significant portion of total damage done. IIRC that really doesn't happen until closer to 60, though.

• Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    So is the WD Gargantuan bugged, or are the tooltips wrong? Because I was playing with Mace earlier and he said with Slam Dance his crits for 150-200 million and that seems just...way too high no matter how good someone's gear is?

Not really. He could be using the Wrathful Protector along with a Mask of Jeram, and Midnight Feast. Depending on his Critdmg, the Garg can easily achieve higher levels of damage.

I mean, I don't know the math, but if it looks like this (Garg WP 575% dmg + Midtnight Feast 50% * Mask of Jeram Bonus 75-100%), then getting into the millions is easy enough. But that's only for 15 seconds.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    My wolves crit for about 3m currently. I mean my CA is only doing 9m so I feel like the Garwulf has been my best dps boost item yet. Bonus for being able to run away after dropping a couple sentries and just let them handle it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Look I did science and that's around the time Rubies stop being as useful, no use in arguing

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Yogo wrote: »

Not really. He could be using the Wrathful Protector along with a Mask of Jeram, and Midnight Feast. Depending on his Critdmg, the Garg can easily achieve higher levels of damage.

I mean, I don't know the math, but if it looks like this (Garg WP 575% dmg + Midtnight Feast 50% * Mask of Jeram Bonus 75-100%), then getting into the millions is easy enough. But that's only for 15 seconds.

Don't forget Mass Confusion's 20% more damage. The damage boost from 5 stacks of Gruesome Feast almost doubles my fetish crit damage too. I don't use Midnight Feast and mine crits for about 120 million... and this is without any Gargantuan +skill damage. Keep in mind it gets multiple swings off and they hit in a small aoe. I don't think it's bugged, it just happens to be a skill that has a crazy amount of ways to boost the damage.

Also, anyone having lag spikes today? or is it just my crappy internet?

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Ratsult2 wrote: »

Don't forget Mass Confusion's 20% more damage. The damage boost from 5 stacks of Gruesome Feast almost doubles my fetish crit damage too. I don't use Midnight Feast and mine crits for about 120 million... and this is without any Gargantuan +skill damage. Keep in mind it gets multiple swings off and they hit in a small aoe. I don't think it's bugged, it just happens to be a skill that has a crazy amount of ways to boost the damage.

I've been getting a lot of rubber banding lately.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    I've been rubberbanding like crazy recently, too.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it's been happening to me occasionally; world latency is at normal levels, so I assume it's just a capacity issue

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    I've had the rubberbanding lag as well some nasty UI lag(when Rifting).

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    a

Just FYI your pets work off of YOUR damage, so you need to be in the slam dance, and your pets can be outside of it. You are also forgetting elite damage %, 20% from passives, and fire damage for wrathful. People are reporting wrathful protector hitting that high with a bunch of CHD boosts. So it is happening.

Also on lag I got d/ced so often last night it was silly. Then everyone voted for ubers and I had to leave because hell if I make a portal and then get permanently kicked out because blizzard cant keep their servers up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    So I got the Mask of Jeram on my witchdoctor today.
    It was the set version. :|

• Options
    a

Just FYI your pets work off of YOUR damage, so you need to be in the slam dance, and your pets can be outside of it. You are also forgetting elite damage %, 20% from passives, and fire damage for wrathful. People are reporting wrathful protector hitting that high with a bunch of CHD boosts. So it is happening.

Also on lag I got d/ced so often last night it was silly. Then everyone voted for ubers and I had to leave because hell if I make a portal and then get permanently kicked out because blizzard cant keep their servers up.

So are Witch Doctors the new Wizards?

• Options
    edited April 2014
    a

Shhhhhhhhh

They do seem to be in a good place. They have 3 strong builds (pets, dots, infinite mana), and each has a few variations. It does seem like they are gear dependent, so maybe that is why it's taken this long for people to start talking about them.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Playing with a WD in the Rift team today was like watching an angry god vaporize the world.

Guess I know who I'm leveling next.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Aesthetically it's probably my least favorite class, but I like a lot of their abilities. WDs are really interesting, nice to see they got some love.

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I had a rather lucrative day. 2 Meepos, 2 SoJ, Schafer's, Hexing Pants, and a slew of other things. First SoJ was a wizard roll =[ but the follow-up was amazing with 27% elite and 19% lightning. Rerolled vit to crit, just wish it also had lightning resist on it.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    Saldonas wrote: »
    I had a rather lucrative day. 2 Meepos, 2 SoJ, Schafer's, Hexing Pants, and a slew of other things. First SoJ was a wizard roll =[ but the follow-up was amazing with 27% elite and 19% lightning. Rerolled vit to crit, just wish it also had lightning resist on it.

Kadala is refusing to give me hexing pants ;_;

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    So I got a so-so Mask of Jeram and wanted to test Fetish Sycophant out, and sure fetishes are decent, but godddamnnnnnn physical spells for WD sucks so much ass! :[

If you are going Fetish Sycophants without 4 piece zuni, the only damage spell you should be casting is firebats. I'm not sure what other physical spells you are talking about because Big Bad Voodoo: Slam Dance and Mass Confusion: Paranoia are awesome.
    Uuuh but Firebats don't have a a physical component, only firedamage on every rune? Or does Fetish Sycophant work with every spell, despite the description?

• Options
    Fetish Sycophants says "Physical realm spells are:" and then a huge list and firebats is on the list.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Ah, ok. I assumed something had to do physical damage to work, and the WD doesn't exactly have a lot of good abilities for that...

• Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    a

Shhhhhhhhh

They do seem to be in a good place. They have 3 strong builds (pets, dots, infinite mana), and each has a few variations. It does seem like they are gear dependent, so maybe that is why it's taken this long for people to start talking about them.

I get pets: firebats, fetish sycophants, fetish army, dogs, garg to taste + jerams, T&T + midnight feast and other damage stuff
    infinite mana is: spirit barrage rush of essence?
    what is this DoT build, though?
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Playing with a WD in the Rift team today was like watching an angry god vaporize the world.

Guess I know who I'm leveling next.

Tell me more. Was this pets? infinite mana? dots? starmetal kukri?

I am getting tired of searching for a new Jerams or T&T and the short range on firebats is starting to get on my nerves. Profile DPS says 488k, and 8.6 mill toughness on HC. I'm currently running rifts in Master, but I think I've been torment ready for a while. In game my DPS jumps to over 600k, and over 700k if I switch out my ammy to CD/CC/Int/IAS.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/valiance-1619/hero/46543345

Thoughts from the WDs in thread? Can I do torment? Should I switch my build? What do I need to upgrade next? Any and all thoughts appreciated.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    It was a pets build. There was a constant army of angry fetishes running around the map.

I pulled my WD out of mothballs since I needed a new character to get to 70 and this is fucking disgusting. I may have to level in Torment difficulty due to how hard I'm steamrolling everything on my way to 70. The fight against Diablo was less a fight and more a curb stomping and I don't even have some of the really groovy skills unlocked like Grave Injustice for the pets build I'm playing with. Just being able to spawn a massive horde of fetishes is doing a great job of chewing everything around me to pieces.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    unless its tearing up in 4 player t4+ i'm not impressed.

if it is... well then i guess imma have to level a wd this instant

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    valiance wrote: »
    a

Shhhhhhhhh

I get pets: firebats, fetish sycophants, fetish army, dogs, garg to taste + jerams, T&T + midnight feast and other damage stuff
    infinite mana is: spirit barrage rush of essence?
    what is this DoT build, though?

I am getting tired of searching for a new Jerams or T&T and the short range on firebats is starting to get on my nerves. Profile DPS says 488k, and 8.6 mill toughness on HC. I'm currently running rifts in Master, but I think I've been torment ready for a while. In game my DPS jumps to over 600k, and over 700k if I switch out my ammy to CD/CC/Int/IAS.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/valiance-1619/hero/46543345

Thoughts from the WDs in thread? Can I do torment? Should I switch my build? What do I need to upgrade next? Any and all thoughts appreciated.

@valiance Yes, you are right on infinite mana, something like this. I've heard of people using haunt instead of Spirit Barrage. This build was fun, but Zombie Bears is hard to aim.

The DoT build has to do with the Jade Harvesters set, and maybe Quetzalcoatl. I'm not really sure on the details, I only know of the build through Witch Doctors complaining. I guess DoTs crit for the full duration, so Witch Doctors don't like that they have to recast their spells over and over until they notice the crit, then they pop the DoT. Which is made even more annoying due to the fact that DoT ticks are added together and shown as a white number every second, even if they are critting.

As for your Witch Doctor, you should stack attack speed. Look for a ceremonial dagger or a dagger, so you have high base attack speed. The idea is the faster your attack speed is, the more fetishes you get out with firebats. Sycophants benefit from +physical % too, so keep an eye out for that. Your build looks fine, especially since you are in HC. Personally, I don't need the zombie dogs to tank for me (invincible follower and I get my sycophant army up quickly). I use gargantuan and mass confusion. Mass confusion is great against elites/champions. The crowd control part is great, but paranoia comes with a big damage boost too.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    so... PSA:

Apparently Rift guardians are different from every other mob in the game, they have to be 'tagged' or the person/s have to atleast be in view distance (speculation on which it is) To actually get loot...

Just hit a conduit in a rift and i went off doing my vault thing to murder as many mobs as possible, hit the rift guardian, killed him and no one else got loot =/ so, heads up.

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I thought the only thing in the game that drops loot whether people are near it or not are chests?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Yesterday I was a holy samurai.
    e1bad9f3-c1c0-4ae8-bb08-b9fc61c2298b.jpg

Today I am a roman god.
    4fb3a5d8-af32-4d53-83f5-4a82469c46f3.jpg

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Yay, I got a Ring of Royal Grandeur!

.... on my level 58 with doctor. Damnit.

This discussion has been closed.