As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls]'s moon is waning. Soon the nightly hunt begins.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Chariot fight, which was a big ol' pain my first playthrough, is so insanely, hilariously easy as a caster. I soloed that shit on my first try.

You're my best friend, Yearn!

The yin to that particular yang is that the lion dudes in the shaded woods have ludicrously high magic resistance. Oh, Dark Souls 2, you scamp

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    thankfully they have ludicrously low stabbing-in-the-back resistance! :bz

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Chariot fight, which was a big ol' pain my first playthrough, is so insanely, hilariously easy as a caster. I soloed that shit on my first try.

The yin to that particular yang is that the lion dudes in the shaded woods have ludicrously high magic resistance. Oh, Dark Souls 2, you scamp

What about their fire resist?

Can you burn the shit out of them?

Also, good LORD does Shrine of Amana take forever.

I've only died once, but it feels like such a grind.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Burning is marginally effective, but not in relation to how low the number of casts per spell is

• Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    Undead crypt isn't a good place to invade

No one is stupid enough to jump down the hole

• Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    Just come on just follow me down the hole

What's the worst that could happen

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    wub you dark souls

was watching some ENB earlier today, and even though I'm usually the first to defend dark souls two from haters it made me realize that the bosses are generally way cooler in DS1.

except Executioners Chariot

also Freja and Demon of Song can come too

Mechanically the bosses in DS2 work as well or better than their compatriots from DS1

But in terms of gravity and design and intimidation factor it's not much of a contest
    Except the Ancient Dragon, that motherfucker is basically From saying "All right assholes, how about THIS"

Also I should note that this doesn't include the Artorias of the Abyss DLC

DS2 doesn't have any boss fights with as much attack variety or as involved as Artorias, Kalameet, or Manus

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Demon of Song and The Rotten are both such cool/gross designs that my roommate chose to leave the room when they showed up. Exclaimed "Nope!" and walked out for a cigarette.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    wub you dark souls

was watching some ENB earlier today, and even though I'm usually the first to defend dark souls two from haters it made me realize that the bosses are generally way cooler in DS1.

except Executioners Chariot

also Freja and Demon of Song can come too

Mechanically the bosses in DS2 work as well or better than their compatriots from DS1

But in terms of gravity and design and intimidation factor it's not much of a contest
    Except the Ancient Dragon, that motherfucker is basically From saying "All right assholes, how about THIS"

Also I should note that this doesn't include the Artorias of the Abyss DLC

DS2 doesn't have any boss fights with as much attack variety or as involved as Artorias, Kalameet, or Manus

Oh, of course, that's what DS2 was missing!

Telekinetic dragons.

Not sure why I didn't think of that sooner.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Ok I just beat my first boss

should I crush his soul to get all the juicy mini-souls or can that item be used later for something

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Veretas wrote: »
    Ok I just beat my first boss

should I crush his soul to get all the juicy mini-souls or can that item be used later for something

all of the boss souls can be traded to one of two NPCs for special weapons or spells

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Most of them are kinda underwhelming though, and tend to require fairly specific build to use. You may want to check http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/boss-soul-items to see if the soul you've got is worth hanging on to until you find the necessary NPC

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    It's weird seeing people be kinda disappointed with DS2

I haven't finished it yet but for me it's like an ME1-ME2 split

Like in a year when I go back to play a souls game it will unquestioningly be this one

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

Funny, I had the opposite experience. First attempt on my melee guy, took a few on my caster because I couldn't deal with the skeletons properly.

I haven't tried using Yearn, though.

• Options
    So once I found a good place to get summoned I got 17 Sun Medals in like an hour and a half

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular

Like in a year when I go back to play a souls game it will unquestioningly be this one

The pieces of the world don't fit together as well, and the weapons don't seem quite as well balanced, but on the whole I am enjoying it a lot more than the first.

broken image link
  • Options

The pieces of the world don't fit together as well, and the weapons don't seem quite as well balanced, but on the whole I am enjoying it a lot more than the first.

To be fair weren't the weapons pretty unbalanced at release on DS1 as well?

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    The setting, lore, and sense of exploration were so, so much better in 1 than 2.

I like a lot of the game mechanics changes in 2 though. Feels less clunky.

• Options
    Which infusions are good if you're mostly building strength?

Poison makes enemies take more hits to kill, but they still die before the poison has a chance to kick in, so it's pretty useless.

Fire just seems to do less damage to the enemies I've tried it on.

Haven't tried any of the other ones.

broken image link
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Would say none

The infusion will lower your strength scaling, you will hit for less

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    It depends

Like, if the weapon has real low strength scaling to start with, you could put the Raw infusion on it and see some decent returns

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Which infusions are good if you're mostly building strength?

Poison makes enemies take more hits to kill, but they still die before the poison has a chance to kick in, so it's pretty useless.

Fire just seems to do less damage to the enemies I've tried it on.

Haven't tried any of the other ones.

Yeah none, actually

• Options
    Ok now that's kinda disappointing. :(

broken image link
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    It'd be another thing if you had good Int or Faith! But if you don't, yeah, it's rare that the weapons you really like are going to benefit from infusion of any kind. Bleed can be good if you're just plinking away with something like a dagger, but you're a strength character, you are going to be murdering things.

But

If you're using a weapon that has an innate elemental or status infusion, go ahead and infuse it in that direction again. Your gains will be much larger than your losses in that specific instance. Like, the Lightning Heide Knight Sword is a monster for enemies what don't like lightning, and I'm saying that as a guy whose Faith was never over 8.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    To be fair str weapons and magic buffs hit like two trucks already

• Options
    I also beat the two Rat bosses last night

I didn't really find either of them particularly difficult, but it was definitely worth it. I'll probably join the ratbros after I get my sun sword

I am having a blast with these bosses that are a bunch of mobs, I'm really glad they did that

I actually would like to see that expanded on, like maybe a mini-d&d adventure as a boss, 3 rooms all like the skeleton lords/prowling magus counts as one boss

• Options
    Hmmm this smelter demon is pretty rough.

broken image link
  • Options

You have high strength right?

Make sure you get a Grym Greatsheild from the doors of pharros

• Options
    Btw are there any ways to get a giant axe or hammer which upgrades with normal titanite early in the game

• Options
    I haven't found that place yet.

Lots of Pharros lockstones and locks, but no doors.

broken image link
  • Options
    Best way to fight the Smelter Demon is to just dodge all of his attacks. He's easy to dodge if you have 20 or so Adaptability

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I haven't found that place yet.

Lots of Pharros lockstones and locks, but no doors.

Ah, you get there through the shaded woods

I'm not sure if there is another shield with 100% fire and physical

• Options
    Sunbroing this guy is hilarious, against most bosses people wave or bow or whatever, but for this one they're all FUCK THIS SHIT and just run for the fog, like they're ripping off a bandaid or something.

broken image link
  • Options
    Best way to fight the Smelter Demon is to just dodge all of his attacks. He's easy to dodge if you have 20 or so Adaptability

So

What does adaptability actually do

Increase the speed of the roll itself or what?

I only have my starting value and I've never had a problem dodging anything

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular

One of the fights where co-op makes the fight a lot easier just by virtue of giving you a little breathing room when the boss switches focus on the other player

Lucatiel's available as an NPC summon for that fight, and you need to have her survive three boss fights for her storyline to play out a certain way

• Options
    gtrmp wrote: »

One of the fights where co-op makes the fight a lot easier just by virtue of giving you a little breathing room when the boss switches focus on the other player

Lucatiel's available as an NPC summon for that fight, and you need to have her survive three boss fights for her storyline to play out a certain way

Just like last time, looks like I'm going to have to play the game a second time with a guide for the NPC stuff

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular

So

It increases the speed you perform actions, and if I remember correctly, adds invincibility frames to the roll.

• Options
    DrDinosaur wrote: »

So

It increases the speed you perform actions, and if I remember correctly, adds invincibility frames to the roll.

I'm not clear on what that means though

Is there less lag between me pushing the button and the action happening or does it actually take less frames to animate

• Options
    gtrmp wrote: »

Just like last time, looks like I'm going to have to play the game a second time with a guide for the NPC stuff

Yeah I'm rolling with the blows for the most part, that sort of stuff is for second playthroughs.

broken image link
  • Options
    Btw new game plus onwards adds new mobs and various stuff not found in the the first play through, so tons of replayabilty yay