As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls]'s moon is waning. Soon the nightly hunt begins.

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    don't worry morninglord, you're a special kind of freak, and we love you for it.

But you can dodge all his melee attacks and sprint away from all of his flames.

He gives you infinite time to sprint away.

He really was easy.

He was probably one of those bosses that patient players die on and erratic sprinty players beat easily.

I did a lot of running in DS1 boss fights.

SM is so dumb.

Earlier today I was at the skeleton lords, at like 60k SM. I could almost solo them, but kept getting taken out by the wheels. Since I was there at such low SM, I had no one to summon. Dumb.

Just let people co-op. Restrict by location and what new game I'm on, and that's it. I don't give a shit if some SL 130 comes and rocks the boss. I can banish him if I'm looking for lower level guys. Or Hell, just list SL in the sign and let me pick.

That's no different from the last two games.

Your problem was not caused by soul memory.

It would have occurred in the previous games too. Try summoning someone as a level 20 in anor londo, see how far you get.

It's a bum rap guv.

yeah but go to anor londo at sl1 and you're bound to find people.

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Ataxrxes wrote: »
    Cross posting from G&T:
    So I beat the game on one character and I'm messing around before I go to NG+ buying armor sets, collecting spells, etc. Is there anything important I need to do before I restart? I have all these boss souls should I use them now or...? Any optional bosses I NEED to kill? I'm just kinda doing the Ascetic thing in Dragon Aerie right now. Feel free to leave any tips in a spoiler tag. Oh also I CAN NOT for the life of me decide on an armor set or combination of pieces to wear. I'm trying to wear the heaviest armor I can while not fat rolling and I'm using the Defender Greatsword and the Greatshield you get from the one Dragon Rider guy. I was using Creighton's set with the Black Hood but I got bored of that. I have just about everything in the game I think barring a few sets I have yet to purchase. Just curious what other people were using. Too many options!

if you're trying to collect every single piece of loot, make sure to kill all the NPCs except Melentia, because a bunch of them have armor sets or other gear that you can only get by killing them and then buying the rest of their stuff from her

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Last boss i have to punch to death in their stupid mouth is Nashandra... but punching the wisps is really hard guys.

I beat throne watchers with a combination of parry dagger/caestus.
    Don't go near the god damn wisps

Make her come to you

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Last boss i have to punch to death in their stupid mouth is Nashandra... but punching the wisps is really hard guys.

Make her come to you
    If she isn't close enough to wisps she'll just make more!

• Options
    gtrmp wrote: »
    Ataxrxes wrote: »
    Cross posting from G&T:
    So I beat the game on one character and I'm messing around before I go to NG+ buying armor sets, collecting spells, etc. Is there anything important I need to do before I restart? I have all these boss souls should I use them now or...? Any optional bosses I NEED to kill? I'm just kinda doing the Ascetic thing in Dragon Aerie right now. Feel free to leave any tips in a spoiler tag. Oh also I CAN NOT for the life of me decide on an armor set or combination of pieces to wear. I'm trying to wear the heaviest armor I can while not fat rolling and I'm using the Defender Greatsword and the Greatshield you get from the one Dragon Rider guy. I was using Creighton's set with the Black Hood but I got bored of that. I have just about everything in the game I think barring a few sets I have yet to purchase. Just curious what other people were using. Too many options!

if you're trying to collect every single piece of loot, make sure to kill all the NPCs except Melentia, because a bunch of them have armor sets or other gear that you can only get by killing them and then buying the rest of their stuff from her

Great Dragon
    Vendrick

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    dammit, i apparently messed up benhart's quest, and lucatiel's quest

• Options
    you have to exhaust all their dialogue and they can't die during boss fights. You can go back to the area they are in and talk to them then ascetic the bonfire where you summon them and have them fight the bosses to try and fix it. If they die during a boss fight and you beat the boss you may be able to ascetic the bonfire to progress the requirements

• Options

Make her come to you
    If she isn't close enough to wisps she'll just make more!
    You can stay out of range of them, still! I think it's time-based, not proximity-based

And building up enough curse resistance to ignore those things is hard

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Ah, I found Lucatiel in Black Gulch.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    So I guess I released Navlaan before realizing what that would do.

Whoops.

In the game's defense, the developers did put down multiple messages saying "Don't you dare!"

But it's a lever!

I HAVE TO PULL IT!

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »

Whoops.

In the game's defense, the developers did put down multiple messages saying "Don't you dare!"

But it's a lever!

I HAVE TO PULL IT!

I can't imagine how anyone who's gotten that far in any Souls game could reach that lever, see the warnings, and not pull that lever immediately just to see what happens

• Options
    edited May 2014

Whoops.

But it's a lever!

I HAVE TO PULL IT!

There were like a dozen messages specifically telling you not to do that thing

Like, it was so many I wondered if they were trying to trick me

What would these guys want me to be afraid of

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I didn't even know that lever released him, or that he was even imprisoned in the first place. I pulled it, went "huh." then went to the other side and saw a guy sitting there who sold me stuff if I was human. Absolutely no dots were connected until much later when I looked him up online.

Aistan on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    yea i guarantee almost everyone who didn't pull the lever made the decision based on OUTSIDE INFORMATION

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    yea i guarantee almost everyone who didn't pull the lever made the decision based on OUTSIDE INFORMATION

hey yo

nuh-uh

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

hey yo

nuh-uh

how could you possibly restrain the lever pulling instinct

it is the most fundamental of human instincts

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2014

Well aside from the huge number of hardcoded messages in the hallway in front of the lever that tell you to turn back and not do it. You can tell they're not messages placed by players because they don't have ratings showing.

That and the way it was positioned opposite the glowing force field with a guy inside made it pretty easy to put 2 and 2 together for me, I had no spoilers about any of that stuff.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I actually didn't notice that they were non-PC messages so I did not pull it on that basis

• Options
    I found the lever, pulled it, and then went to the other side and saw the sinister weirdo.

• Options
    Or maybe I talked the sinister weirdo one day, and then couldn;t figure out what to do in the lever, took a few days off, couldn't find a second bonfire, and pulled the lever because it was a lever, and then realized i just released the weirdo

i sniped that giant lord with poison arrows. i couldn't find benhart's sign anywhere.

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    The best "don't you dare" message was in Belfry Sol by the lever with 250+ ratings.

• Options

Whoops.

But it's a lever!

I HAVE TO PULL IT!

There were like a dozen messages specifically telling you not to do that thing

Like, it was so many I wondered if they were trying to trick me

What would these guys want me to be afraid of

THAT'S WHY I PULLED IT

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    gtrmp wrote: »

Whoops.

But it's a lever!

I HAVE TO PULL IT!

I can't imagine how anyone who's gotten that far in any Souls game could reach that lever, see the warnings, and not pull that lever immediately just to see what happens

As if to prove the point, the guy I was watching play an offline, no spoilers run, did exactly this.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    I can't really remember what I thought.

I think I thought something was going to fall on me as I walked down the corridor, or when I pulled the lever

Even with all the warnings in the world levers gonna get pulled, that's what they're there for.

Like there could have been a dev soapstone message that said "Don't pull this lever, it will delete your character. Love From" and I still woulda pulled it

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I probably wouldn't have pulled it had I seen him before I saw the lever. But, I went left instead of right so here we are.

• Options
    I can't really remember what I thought.

I think I thought something was going to fall on me as I walked down the corridor, or when I pulled the lever

Even with all the warnings in the world levers gonna get pulled, that's what they're there for.

Like there could have been a dev soapstone message that said "Don't pull this lever, it will delete your character. Love From" and I still woulda pulled it

Your character's last thought would be, "Heh, yeah right."

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I never saw the lever. Or the guy. I have no idea what you're talking about!

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Invaded for the first time. I love being backstabbed from the front.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Just dumped 40k souls down the drain because I'm so good I can dodge that.

• Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    i've been farming souls in iron keep since dude keeps killing me, I also unlocked belfry sol

• Options
    M.D. wrote: »
    i've been farming souls in iron keep since dude keeps killing me, I also unlocked belfry sol

which dude keeps killing you? smelter demon?

• Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    smelter, I know he's optional since I can keep progressing through, (turtle and knight room is a bit of a pain though) but i'd like to kill him

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    6Ky6LJ4.jpg

Visions of Fashion Souls... , don't give up!

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i saw the signs, and figured that something bad would happen if i pulled it

so i decided to fully explore the area first before pulling it

and in doing so i found navlaan so i didn't pull it until i was ready to kill him, which was after i finished his questline

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I pulled it before ever talking to him.
    I pulled it because I was not frightened and anything telling me to stop that much clearly had a punch up at the end of it. This sounded like a good deal to me.
    Nothing happened and I was kinda disappointed.

then on the other side I found a friendly but glum mage chum who sobbed:

"What have you done? You'll never escape him."

And I thought he meant Aldia so I'm all

"No son. He'll never escape me."

I then proceeded to obliterate every red phantom mage invader I met until I finally died to one while going back to tseldora to see if I could figure out what the Key I picked up from Freya was for. I then died to him again when he trapped me in a small room and cast dark storm while spiders and zombie spiders kept me stationary for him to cast.

Whereupon I thought "That's funny, that guy seemed kind of familiar." and actually looked at the invaders name. I then realised I'd been invaded by the same guy three times. See most of the time I fought him he never even got a chance to cast anything because Caestus stunlock. He'd run up, wave his wand at me and get beaten to death.

Suspicions formed.

I stamped back into Aldia's Keep and the mage muttered something about hunting a new "mark".

Me: "IT'S YOUR LUCKY DAY BUDDY!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy6IrQvNWfY

And that's how I got the Chaos Hood.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    M.D. wrote: »
    smelter, I know he's optional since I can keep progressing through, (turtle and knight room is a bit of a pain though) but i'd like to kill him

well, beating smelter opens up a bonfire right behind him. if you're trying him solo, it's a lot tougher than if you have some backup to keep the heat off of you. you can summon lucatiel for that fight, and you probably should if you want to follow her story arc.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Killed the smelter demon, and it seems to be technically optional.

"Technically" because you could just go around, but oh my god that shield is an amazing reward.

broken image link
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Killed the smelter demon, and it seems to be technically optional.

"Technically" because you could just go around, but oh my god that shield is an amazing reward.
    Go back to the room the smelter demon is in.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    for some definitions of "amazing"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular