As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dark Souls]'s moon is waning. Soon the nightly hunt begins.

I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boomRegistered User regular
edited March 2015 in Social Entropy++
Dark Souls 2 is out now and it is a game you can buy and play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0jC38feoB4

The journey of the Cursed Undead is long and arduous, but with the help of others you may see your journey to its inevitable end. Here are some answers to common questions!

ALWAYS exhaust an NPC's dialogue before leaving them. Many NPCs don't give you items until the second or third time you try to talk to them. Some of them won't even become merchants or make covenants available until you try repeatedly!

Why does my weapon keep breaking?
The durability system in Dark Souls 2 is different than in previous games. Every time you rest at a bonfire your weapon's durability is restored (unless fully broken). Hitting things with your weapon lowers its durability. This includes walls and corpses! Avoid doing these things and your weapon will last a much longer time. In addition, weapons have different durabilities, and some weapons may simply be more fragile. If it continues to be a problem, consider finding a second weapon that you enjoy using to swap between the two, saving your strongest weapon for the toughest foes.

Why are these Ruin Sentinels such bullshit?
For many players the Ruin Sentinels are the first roadblock boss. You should attempt to fight the first one entirely on the ledge you're standing on, as going down to the ground level will aggro the other two. I recommend attempting to dodge their attacks rather than block them, as they are strongly telegraphed but deplete much of your blocking stamina. They take the most damage from strike weapons such as maces and hammers. In addition, if you are capable of powerstancing maces, the L2 attack will stagger one when you hit with all 3 strikes. Good luck!

How do I get a White Soapstone?
In the Forest of Fallen Giants, find a trustworthy man named Mild-Mannered Pate. Go through the door next to him and fight your way back out. When you talk to him again he will give you a white soapstone, and you can now be summoned for co-op!

In addition, you can break the door above the second bonfire in the Forest of Fallen Giants (the one with Merchant Hag Melentia). This door will lead to a room with a Small White Soapstone, which is like a White Soapstone, but smaller. Also it gives you less time for co-op, and different rewards.

How do I get an Orange Soapstone?
You don't need one! Just go into the start menu, and go to message to tell all the skeletons how you feel!

Why would I ever make a Mundane weapon?
Despite the stats screen of a Mundane infusion making it look undesirable, making a weapon Mundane gives it secret S scaling in your lowest stat. This makes Mundane scaling very effective for a character who has spread their points around. Mundane is best on weapons that have multiple hits or attack very quickly, like Santier's Spear, Avelyn, or Dagger.

liEt3nH.png
I needed anime to post. on

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I got to a little past the second bonfire in Amana. At first it seemed pretty easy, but then I aggroed two casters, a water lurker and two clerics. Now I see why that's tricky. Any tips for pulling those dudes?

IKknkhU.gif
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I'm stuck at the boss fog in the black gulch. I don't want to go in for fear of getting killed and having to run the fifty feet back to that point. I'm just going to put down my summon sign and live here forever.

Metalbourne on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I'm stuck at the boss fog in the black gulch. I don't want to go in for fear of getting killed and having to run the fifty feet back to that point. I'm just going to put down my summon sign and live here forever.

there's a bonfire like right beside you

liEt3nH.png
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    i'm in iron keep now, these knights are ughhh

also i see a lot of red summon signs for summoning dark spirits, why would/should I do that?

Maybe you want to fight them

liEt3nH.png
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    So I went a little further to brightstone and now I'm getting summoned no problem

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular

WHAT

edited May 2014

WHAT

facing away from the boss fog, hug the left wall and head forward

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Wow, weird, all the messages I've seen keep telling the skeletons to "Give it up!"

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Fuck it, I'm going back in.

pppfsshhhhhpffhshfsphhfsph

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    wow, this boss with the fire belly and big sword

so like I guess I need those fire resist items i can eat for this fight or more fire res armor which I dont think I have

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Ok I'm a bit stuck on where to go next.
    So far I have gone through the forest, Lost Bastille and killed the Lost Sinner, then did Heide's and No Man's Wharf. I seemed to be way overleveled for them, but then it turned out they were just an alternate path to the Lost Bastille?

Anyway I feel like I am supposed to go past the guy with the blue sword, but I used my depetrifier on the guy in front of the bonfire in Lost Bastille because I thought it would be a multi-use item. Should I be able to find another one somewhere, or should I find a way down the hole in town? Or is there a way to get to the lizard with twitchy eyes in the forest that I'm missing?

broken image link
    M.D. wrote: »

so like I guess I need those fire resist items i can eat for this fight or more fire res armor which I dont think I have

There's a fire resist ring in the giants forest

• EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular

Pop life gems to negate the DoT when able, bringing a friend (and maybe Lucatiel) along can help a lot.

I've summoned red phantoms just for kicks sometimes. Only when the signs are close to bonfires though. I once saw someone put a red sign in the King's Passage, which seems like a bad idea. If I'm gonna voluntarily fight you, I don't want to lose much exploration progress.

IKknkhU.gif
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    They did that so the boss would summon them to help in the fight

Fearghaill wrote: »
    They did that so the boss would summon them to help in the fight

Oh right! I totally forgot about that.

IKknkhU.gif
    14 sunlight medals

4 people named some variation of "guts" using the greatsword

Oh? I must have missed it or something. Is it in a hidden spot?

So far I have gone through the forest, Lost Bastille and killed the Lost Sinner, then did Heide's and No Man's Wharf. I seemed to be way overleveled for them, but then it turned out they were just an alternate path to the Lost Bastille?

Anyway I feel like I am supposed to go past the guy with the blue sword, but I used my depetrifier on the guy in front of the bonfire in Lost Bastille because I thought it would be a multi-use item. Should I be able to find another one somewhere, or should I find a way down the hole in town? Or is there a way to get to the lizard with twitchy eyes in the forest that I'm missing?

hey remember the path from majula to heide

that room sure was weird huh, the way it was a big circle with a device you couldn't use and it looked like there was a closed off door

weeeeeeird room

liEt3nH.png

Oh? I must have missed it or something. Is it in a hidden spot?

Yep it's down in the fire pit with the salamanders

You actually get the key (iron key) in the iron keep

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular

hey remember the path from majula to heide

that room sure was weird huh, the way it was a big circle with a device you couldn't use and it looked like there was a closed off door

weeeeeeird room

Ohhhh I completely forgot about that.

That area and the path to the forest are basically the only two areas I didn't re-traverse looking for where to go next. :V

broken image link
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    the knights there have fire resist armor, that will be decent for a good while.
    Look sick too, but be sure to go knight capt variant, for the torso or helm, if you decide to drop titanite on them.

VayBJ4e.png
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    wub you dark souls

was watching some ENB earlier today, and even though I'm usually the first to defend dark souls two from haters it made me realize that the bosses are generally way cooler in DS1.

except Executioners Chariot

also Freja and Demon of Song can come too

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    I actually have 5 paths open to me right now. That is a lot of options.
    Belfry Luna, Sinner's Rise, Doors of Pharros, Huntsman's Copse, and Black Gulch.

...Which one takes me to the Sunbros Covenant?

• Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Belfry Luna, Sinner's Rise, Doors of Pharros, Huntsman's Copse, and Black Gulch.

It's in the area after Huntsman's Copse.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    wub you dark souls

was watching some ENB earlier today, and even though I'm usually the first to defend dark souls two from haters it made me realize that the bosses are generally way cooler in DS1.

Mechanically the bosses in DS2 work as well or better than their compatriots from DS1

But in terms of gravity and design and intimidation factor it's not much of a contest
    Except the Ancient Dragon, that motherfucker is basically From saying "All right assholes, how about THIS"

dN0T6ur.png
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    It's rare, but whenever I get killed from some bad geometry in a level I get so mad I have to quit playing. "What did I get clipped on there? There was nothing to get clipped on!" Just ugh. The latest offender was on my sorcerer character in that little awning at the entrance to the Undead Purgatory, I got stuck in a little tiny hole near where the bridge was and just literally could not move out of it as the big dude with the big sword just ended me. Things like that, and how awkward the jump is make me hate this game sometimes.

• vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    wub you dark souls

Mechanically the bosses in DS2 work as well or better than their compatriots from DS1

But in terms of gravity and design and intimidation factor it's not much of a contest
    Except the Ancient Dragon, that motherfucker is basically From saying "All right assholes, how about THIS"

I tried to kill that dragon today. He does not fuck around.

The run up to him is super difficult too.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Finally killed the Ruin Sentinels. I am now at the Boss of Sentinel's rise, but I cannot open any of the doors.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Things are generally less intimidating when you can summon lightning throwing badasses

I feel that From have definately underestimated the power of jolly cooperation this time round though

All the mobs and bosses could have maybe deal like more damage or something to make it more intense

Peas on
    Took a few tries but the chariot is down.

And I'm rewarded with a short guy who just tells me to piss off????

broken image link
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Took a few tries but the chariot is down.

And I'm rewarded with a short guy who just tells me to piss off????

He's the leader of the Brotherhood of Blood. Kinda like how defeating Ornstein only rewards you with a blue dude that tells you to piss off.

Edit: Not Artorias

Peccavi on
    Actually the blue dude tried to get me to join his covenant. Do I need to do invasions or something to get the short guy to talk to me?

broken image link
    you need a token of spite in your inventory, whether you just find one or invade someone for it

liEt3nH.png
    ok so i went back to get that ring but couldnt figure out where to go, well I guess I never killed the floating knight boss here so I got to do that. Got a set of armor and a sword, the sword reminds me of the old dragon sword from DS 1 that you got from shooting off the dragons tail.

Also I unlocked that mage who you can trade souls to for weapons.

I figured out where the salamander things are but they hardly take any damage from my heide sword

• gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »

It's in the area after Huntsman's Copse.

specifically, it's the exit from that area that doesn't lead to
    the Undead Purgatory. if you get to the boss fog door and there's no popup saying that you've transitioned into the Undead Purgatory, you're at the right fog door.

getting into Undead Purgatory gets you access to a completely different sort of covenant.
    you need a token of spite in your inventory, whether you just find one or invade someone for it

yeah, if you won't/can't invade, there's a token of spite in
    the area at the very bottom of the pit in majula. you'll have to go right past it on your journey to get to one of the four Big McLargeSouls. iirc it's in a wooden chest at the bottom of a bunch of ladders.