Options

A Thread of Spoilers of a Series of a Song of Ice & Fire (Thread is dark & full of grues)

BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
edited April 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
If you're looking for the show thread, you're in the wrong kingdom. It's here though. Anything beyond this could be spoiler territory.

The show is going to deviate more and more from the books, both in terms of completely different content, and content the books haven't gotten to yet. Please use spoiler tags where appropriate.

Once upon a time a boy in New Jersey had some pet turtles. Unfortunately for the boy, the turtles never lived very long, so in his imagination they lived and died in a land of medieval court intrigue and war. Years later that boy would grow up, grow a beard, and write some books.

NeftwXA.jpg

Today, his turtles live on die in the lands of Westeros and Essos in the hugely popular A Song of Ice and Fire. The series, originally planned for 7 books, has spawned 5 novels (write faster dammit!), several short stories and novellas, cookbooks, atlases, some other stuff I'm forgetting, and some TV show that no one really watches. Do not go posting spoilers, something you think is a clever hint or foreshadowing in the show thread. Book is a 4 letter word over there, so be careful about which thread you're posting in.

Taken from the last thread, thanks @Yar and @Quid.
#1 rule is no crying about something being spoiled, assuming it's already published material. If you haven't read all the books AND seen every aired show, then you are forbidden from accusing someone else of spoiling something for you. If you're posting an interview with GRRM where he talks about stuff that will happen in Book 6, yeah, that is the very epitome of a spoiler and must be tagged.

#2 rule, less important than #1, is to use your own best judgment and put tags around some things, like maybe details of TRW, or R+L=J theories, or major stuff from Book 5. Definitely anything about a show that hasn't aired (besides what we know from the books), or confirmed plot facts in books not yet published. Someone could very well click this thread by accident instead of the TV one, and they sure as hell don't want to see this in non-tagged form:

(major spoilers from books 3 - 5 as an example)
Hey, remember when Robb and Catelyn were killed by the Freys, and Sansa married Tyrion, but then Catelyn came back as an evil zombie and Joff chokes to death and Tyrion murders his father, and Jamie sort of becomes a good guy? That was awesome.

#3 rule is to try to do what I did above and preface your spoiler tags with a very brief description of what kind of spoiler it is and about when it occurs in the series.

Like so. Seriously, if you don't want spoilers, don't read this thread. Stop right now cause below this sentence? Thar be spoilers.

The Major Players

Some pretty major spoilers here.
House Targaryen - 300 years ago the last survivors of the Doom of Valyria decided their volcanic island was boring and conquered Westeros with some dragons and incest. They ruled with varying success until one king was a little too crazy for his own good and was cast down in a rebellion led by the Starks and Baratheons. Dany is the last confirmed Targaryen, her story has yet to take her to Westeros. As of the end of book 5 someone at least claiming to be Aegon Targaryen has landed in Westeros, aiming to reclaim the throne. There's probably some other secret Targaryens or Blackfyres (an offshot), cause why not.

House Baratheon - Rulers of the Stormlands, Robert Baratheon married Cersei Lannister and took the throne following his rebellion. Now Robert and his youngest brother Renly are dead, and Robert's children aren't actually his. Stannis "the Mannis" Baratheon continues to wage a civil war for his claim to the throne in the name of R'hllor, a god from Essos. Stannis is aided by Davos Seaworth, a former pirate turned advisor, and Melisandre, a powerful priestess of R'hllor, who believes Stannis to be Azor Ahai reborn. After a failed attack on King's Landing, Stannis refocuses his efforts on winning the hearts and minds of Westeros, starting in the North.

House Stark - Everything bad happens to the Starks, lords of the North. You start reading the books and you're thinking "here's some protagonists I can really get behind!", then a bunch of them are dead and the rest are in hiding. The kidnapping and killing of some Starks led to Robert's Rebellion. Now the house is considered extinct, all its members either dead, assumed dead, unable to claim their birthright, or turning into trees. The Stark children, save Sansa, all have pet direwolves, and most of them have exhibited at least some magical powers in the form of warging. The Starks are tied via marriage to the also extinct House Tully of the Riverlands. The torture happy House Bolton has replaced the Starks as the Wardens of the North, but the North Remembers and enjoys pie.

House Lannister - These guys have their own theme song, and they really like hearing it. The Lannisters are masters of using their power and wealth to further themselves, usually at high cost to others. Tommen Lannister Baratheon is currently the King of Westeros, born of an incestuous relationship between Cersei and Jaime Lannister. Tyrion Lannister, arguably the most well known character of the series, is currently in exile in Essos for murdering his father Tywin. While most of the series chronicles their rise to power, by the end of book 5 the surviving members barely hold a rapidly crumbling kingdom. Tommen's cat is the Pounce That Was Promised.

House Greyjoy - Vikings. That's pretty much it, they raid and pillage and propel other plot elements. No godless man may sit on the Seastone Chair, except Euron, who may or may not be Daario and/or Benjen and/or a secret Targaryen. Victarion has some crazy magic sizzling bacon hand thing going on. Reek, Reek it rhymes with leek/meek/sneak/weak.

House Tyrell - Ruling house of the kingdom's breadbasket, the Tyrells want nothing more than to take the throne. Margaery Tyrell is the current queen of Westeros, and her family has shouldered much of the monumental task of rebuilding the realm following a massive civil war. They are famously loyal only to themselves and could easily change sides again as it suites them.

House Martell - Rulers of the desert of Dorne, House Martell has the most ties to House Targaryen. Throughout most of the series they are simply mentioned, but through political maneuvering and long term scheming they are quickly forcing their way into main events. House Martell is headed by Doran, seeking revenge for the deaths of his sister Ellia during Robert's Rebellion, and his brother Oberyn, both at the hands of the Lannisters. Doran's daughter Arianne, and Oberyn's daughters the Sand Snakes are the other major players. Darkstar isn't a Martell, but he is of the night.

House Arryn / Baelish - Jon Arryn fostered Robert and Ned as children, and he would be the driving force behind Robert's Rebellion. Later he served as Robert's Hand, and his death at the hands of his wife Lysa and the former Master of Coins, Littlefinger, launches the events of the books. Littlefinger is currently in control of the Vale following his own murder of Lysa. Sansa Stark is in hiding with Littlefinger, who plans to wed her to Harry "the Heir" of the Vale, the only region other than Dorne untouched by the War of the 5 Kings. Littlefinger is also Lord of the Riverlands, and there is no way his meteoric rise to power will come back to bite him.

Night's Watch - Defenders of Westeros from the mysterious and evil Others / White Walkers, the Black Brothers guard a massive ice wall far in the North. Forbidden from engaging in the affairs of the rest of the kingdom, the Watch is largely ignored by the rest of the world as most consider the Others nothing more than myth. Under the leadership of Jon Snow the Watch ended its 8000 year old conflict with the Wildings, free people north of the Wall. A popular theory sees Jon as the child of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark, the kidnapping/coupling that led to Robert's Rebellion. He's also probably the Prince That Was Promised and/or Azor Ahai and/or one of the heads of the dragon, but prophecies are words and words are wind and Jon ends the last book sporting some new knives in his back.

Essos - The other continent. The western portion of which is ruled by 9 powerful and always warring city states. The middle portion is controlled by the powerful Dothraki, who are basically the Mongols. There's a bunch of stuff to the far east that only gets brief mentions, and even more that is only on some maps in some sources. Dany Targaryen, Tyrion Lannister and Victarion Greyjoy are all currently in the southern Slaver's Bay, hopefully about to do something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbEhByk4Icg

Some actual characters.

Links

A Wiki of Ice and Fire.

Speculative Map. This is out of date given there's an actual map book, but it's still a great reference.

Game of Thrones (TV Show) Wiki.

There is a new book (not Winds unfortunately) OUT! It's an encyclopedia, A World of Ice and Fire. It's got a lot of really well done illustrations, but the writing is a bit suspect. It's also already out as an iStuff and Android app. The apps are free but have in-app purchases to unlock more content.

SWaah0m.gif

Blendtec on

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Blendtec on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I'm still reeling from the news that Damphair is apparently pronounced 'Damp Hair.' I'm gonna continue with Dam-fair in my head (whenever the next book comes out), just because it sounds like a cool religious title.

• Options
    Blendtec wrote: »
    There is a new book (not Winds unfortunately) coming out soonish (Fall 2014). It's an encyclopedia, A World of Ice and Fire. It's also already out as an iStuff and Android app. The apps are free but have in-app purchases to unlock more content.

I've added a couple minor things to the OP from last thread, this is chief among them.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    I'm still reeling from the news that Damphair is apparently pronounced 'Damp Hair.' I'm gonna continue with Dam-fair in my head (whenever the next book comes out), just because it sounds like a cool religious title.

I don't get how people missed it was damphair.

Because he dunks a lotta people in water he has wet hair. Damp hair. Queue silly nickname.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Looking at those maps, I always forget just how narrow the Narrow Sea really is. Ned was completely insane for wanting to ignore Dany with a potential Dothraki horde.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Superstitious madness is a powerful thing. Dothraki are terrified of the ocean.

Maybe because the one time they tried, a hurricane destroyed their fleet.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »

Because he dunks a lotta people in water he has wet hair. Damp hair. Queue silly nickname.

The Ironborn had been built up as decidedly non-silly people who would not give out silly nicknames. The idea of a sense of humor among them does not occur until later.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    Looking at those maps, I always forget just how narrow the Narrow Sea really is. Ned was completely insane for wanting to ignore Dany with a potential Dothraki horde.

I disagree. The Dothraki are famous for wrecking stuff in Essos, but keep in mind, all the cities they destroyed around the Dothraki Sea (all the Vaes Whatever ones) weren't walled or very big. When they attacked the Free Cities or Slaver's Bay, they were always thrown back. They lack the siege tactics required to take big cities, and especially not those in Westeros that are used to that sort of warfare. They would ride around and mess up the countryside, some places might starve and the smallfolk would hate it. The absolute worst they could do is trigger another rebellion if the lords don't stop them and the smallfolk rise up.

They'd be easy prey to knights, see any time someone with an arakh fights someone with armor. They'd be in trouble with winter too, especially the coming one. Then there's the whole not having a fleet, and even if they did, being deathly afraid of the oceans. We saw what happened with Khal Drogo, the biggest and most powerful leader they had when he suggested they cross the ocean, it ultimately led to his death and the breaking of his khalasar.

Now, I dunno if Ned knew all that. I get the feeling he just thought affairs in Westeros were more important than a potential invasion from a group of people who have never left their continent.

• Options

The Ironborn had been built up as decidedly non-silly people who would not give out silly nicknames. The idea of a sense of humor among them does not occur until later.

Eh, I never saw it as a humorous title, more as a badge of honor/mocking him for being crazy about religion.

• Options

Pretty easy if you read it as a title instead of a nickname. If I were giving someone a nickname like Damp Hair, I'd write it as two words.

• Options
    Iron Islanders aren't exactly a subtle folk.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular

Pretty easy if you read it as a title instead of a nickname. If I were giving someone a nickname like Damp Hair, I'd write it as two words.

Kingslayer
    Stormborn
    Giantsbane
    Thunderfist
    Littlefinger

Probably some more, but there is a precedent to nicknames being two words smooshed into one.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I love me some tinfoil hats and read a pretty good one this morning. Apparently Rhaegar is Mance now, there were many glamours involved.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    This argument is dumber than the nickname at this point.

Damp Hair is stupid and doesn't really fit with what the reader knows about the characters at that point (or really, I'd say now even) and in English the natural inclination is to read ph as an f.

But it's damp hair because he's got damp hair.

Add that to the OP and moooooooooooooooove on

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I can easily see how others would have read it as just some name and not as what it is, mostly because he's often referred to as "the damphair" which makes it seem like a title. I myself read it the right way the first time and so it only made sense that a dude who puts water on people's heads after almost drowning and washing ashore to become a priest is nicknamed as he is.

It's not like this series is subtle about stupid names. We've got such winners as the wonderfully named Kettleblack family too.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Superstitious madness is a powerful thing. Dothraki are terrified of the ocean.

Maybe because the one time they tried, a hurricane destroyed their fleet.

Probably because the Dothraki do not pose any serious threat to Westeros. They're deathly afraid of open sea, have no navy(and what could be cobbled up could be taken on easily by the Westerosi). Their entire army is basically cavalry, making the supply train enormous for any excursion beyond locales capable of normally supporting their troops(i.e. far beyond the Dothraki Sea). Unlike the actual Mongols, they have stupid ideas about wearing armour, and their tactics seem more like a random barbarian horde over the actually regimented and well organized Mongols. That's not even taking into account that if they got to Westeros, they'd have to deal with basically every place being fortified up the wazoo, and while they can pillage and plunder the hell out of the countryside, what they'll be able to forage would be scraps left from all the food and such being stockpiled in the fortified castles and cities.

And then the Winter comes.

People keep trying to justify why they were a threat, but I've yet to see a convincing argument. To plenty of places in Essos? Yeah. To Westeros? No. If they got there, they'd mostly go there to starve, freeze, or both. They'd still annihilate a sizable portion of the peasants left outside the fortifications, but in the end they could not win.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    All you need is a foothold. The plan wasn't to personally take every single castle in Westeros with dothraki calvary.

Once there's a Targaryen claimant in Westeros with some credibility, a whole lot of locals were expected to side with her. Or hoped. That was their plan, anyway, and Robert seemed to think it was a reasonable fear.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

I don't think it's a silly name at all.

The Ironborn have like important god, the god of the ocean. The damphair is nuts for him, and is constantly in the ocean, and engaged in ritual and ceremony. It would make sense that he'd earn a nickname that conjured up images of wetness and water. I've always taken it as something that signified his religious extremism. He's the damphair, and he will fucking drown your ass in praise of his god.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    I think her having a Dothraki horde would hurt her credibility though. Westeros seems to dislike all things Essos, and a massive army full of people they'd most likely view as savages wouldn't help that image. Even if Dany is somehow able to keep the Dothraki under control and doing what she wants, rather than randomly going off and raiding, people won't like them, and by extension her. Robert seemed pretty popular too. Joffrey is a different story, and I think an army of stonemen with Dany could've toppled him. I'm curious to see how much support "Aegon" gets, or if the people are so tired of war and are okay with Tommen and Pounce.

• Options
    Robert was popular because we saw a lot of the story via Northmen or the court in King's Landing. If we had more POVs in the early books from Highgarden (pre-Margaery pimping) or maybe even in Dorne, I bet you would have heard a lot more "Usurper" talk.

Agree that (F?)aegon will tell us a bit. If he fails due to lack of support, then certainly Dany would have done the same in tougher circumstances.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Unlike the actual Mongols, they have stupid ideas about wearing armour.

And likewise don't share the Mongol's penchant for heavy cavalry (about 40% of their cavalry would have been lancers to work with the 60% horse archers), press ganging engineers from the vanquished to help them build siege weapons, spying and recon, or being perfectly fine parking their commander on a hill with good visibility so he could command from a good vantage point instead of being within range of the enemy's archers to prove personal valor. The Dothraki are kind of like how Westerners viewed the Mongols, as barbarians with a lot of horses as opposed to cunning and intelligent foreigners that had very brutal practices. The terror ascribed to the Mongols gets applied to the Dothraki but not many of the reasons the Mongols earned their reputation.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Hell, all you'd need is one person with knowledge of dothraki culture to tell someone what happens when you kill the Khal. They split up and fight amongst themselves.

Easiest victory ever, since the Khal has this penchant for fighting in the front lines without armor.

Khal meets wall, then Khal meets arrow, then khalasar is destroyed from within and without.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Hell, all you'd need is one person with knowledge of dothraki culture to tell someone what happens when you kill the Khal. They split up and fight amongst themselves.

Easiest victory ever, since the Khal has this penchant for fighting in the front lines without armor.

Khal meets wall, then Khal meets arrow, then khalasar is destroyed from within and without.

I have a feeling it wouldn't go exactly like negotiations in The Fifth Element if the Khal were killed mid-battle, but it's an amusing mental image.

• Options
    Hell, all you'd need is one person with knowledge of dothraki culture to tell someone what happens when you kill the Khal. They split up and fight amongst themselves

As opposed to those of the Sunset Kingdoms, who have held it together *so well* after Robert's death? :)

• Options
    Hell, all you'd need is one person with knowledge of dothraki culture to tell someone what happens when you kill the Khal. They split up and fight amongst themselves

As opposed to those of the Sunset Kingdoms, who have held it together *so well* after Robert's death? :)

There's a bit of a difference between consistent succession crises versus occasional ones. Plus technically Robert's death only triggered Stannis and Renly fighting over the crown. The North didn't rebel for independence until after Ned was executed and the Ironborn may not have gone raiding had the North and therefore the nearest targets gotten caught up in things. Had Robert died with actual children next in line for succession, there's a good chance things would have gone more smoothly.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    ehhh, ish. I'm not a total Westeros historian, but off the top of my head, Targaryen succession was pretty hit and miss to go smoothly.

• Options
    ehhh, ish. I'm not a total Westeros historian, but off the top of my head, Targaryen succession was pretty hit and miss to go smoothly.

Well there's a difference between having a horrible successor versus not having an easy to follow line of succession.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Well, there was the Dance of the Dragons. And the Blackfyres. And that one time when they had to form a council to skip the rightful king because everyone hated him (sort of a precursor to Renly/Stannis).

• Options

Fair point, as a swede I just assume mashing words together is natural, it's pretty much the basis for how swedish works. English tends to separate words like that instead, making damphair somewhat weirder I guess.

And on topic, so sad about the next episode. They absolutely nailed Oberyn, and seeing him die won't be easier than reading about it.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Blendtec wrote: »
    Hey, this thread is getting old and should be dismissed from the Kingsguard.

Here's its replacement. I totally just reused the same OP.

When the old thread comes back as a general in an army of dragons and Dothraki you will see who is too old.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

Yeah, but maesters are still a thing.

Hey, ya know, if you kill that guy with the longest braid, they'll most likely fight each other over who takes charge of the khalasar or at least break apart. Then we can, ya know, murder them all in the resulting chaos.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Can we change the thread title? "Musical" is throwing me off.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular

Hey, ya know, if you kill that guy with the longest braid, they'll most likely fight each other over who takes charge of the khalasar or at least break apart. Then we can, ya know, murder them all in the resulting chaos.

presumably, the plan was for Viserys to assume command of some 40,000 riders. They'd be following him, with no Khal.

• Options
    Tamin wrote: »

presumably, the plan was for Viserys to assume command of some 40,000 riders. They'd be following him, with no Khal.

It's one of Varys's schemes. There's a lot more to it than just the Dothraki. I figure the original plan was to have those riders plus Dorne and mercenaries from Essos.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Short video on what science can tell us about the world of Ice and Fire.

http://youtu.be/Utu-LpJn3Is

I thought it'd be cheesy, but it's actually well put together.

MetalMagus on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Interesting video, but he obviously didn't do his homework.

Potential series spoilers from interview with Martin.
    Gurm has already said that the seasons are magical in nature

Jragghen on
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »

Kingslayer
    Stormborn
    Giantsbane
    Thunderfist
    Littlefinger

Probably some more, but there is a precedent to nicknames being two words smooshed into one.

Wait... it's "King Slayer?!" And all this time I thought Jaime was the King's Layer, on account of Cersei and all :winky:

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    Nono, That's Kin's Layer.

3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Bubby wrote: »
    Can we change the thread title? "Musical" is throwing me off.

You got it. I tried to be clever with Song, but I can see how it'd throw people off.

I'm always open to suggestions for the title and the OP.

Blendtec on
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    The thread where we discuss Brienne and Pod hanging around in the Riverlands.

The thread where we discuss what happened when Tywin spilled his guts to Tyrion.

A Song of Ice and Damp Hair