As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hello [Fallout thread], this is John Henry Eden and you're listening to Enclave Radio

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Doesn't attacking negate stealth boys? Also,they are super fast, so they sstill chargeand get a couple of attacks, even with 6 Plasma Defender headshots in VATS

I don't think so; normal discovery rules still work though. So if you're discovered, you're discovered...once you're hidden again though, you get the full Stealth Boy buff for its duration. It's just for the freedom of that initial from stealth crit headshot, which usually will oneshot even a Deathclaw assuming you're using a weapon you're proficient in (or just has high base damage), moreso obviously if you're perked for stealth.

But IIRC (it's been awhile) Stealth Boys litter Lonesome Road, I think that's how I handled most of the Deathclaws in LR, including the unique who never even found me before I killed her.

Also, they have an aggro range, and at least on the main long road portion, it's not too hard to just skirt their radius and take em out one by one if you've got a decent zoom capable weapon.

Of course, I also had the energy weapon explody perk; and while causing more problems than it solved for most of NV, the Deathclaw section of LR it helped quite a bit. A critted headshot from stealth could easily take out several bunched up, and the explosion radius was large.

I don't have that yet, but it sounds like something my energy weapon guy would be interested in. Crits do pretty good damage, but not one shot, I don't think.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    All you need is GRX. And everything dies.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I never used it much, but the flare gun is supposed to be handy when dealing with abominations.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I never used it much, but the flare gun is supposed to be handy when dealing with abominations.

Yes. The Flare gun, as a regular effect and not on a critical or anything, will cause abominations (such as deathclaws) to run away for a bit.

I used that in combination with leg shots (had a nice heavy sniper rifle but not the skill to use it, relied on mouse aiming) to cripple their legs so I could have more time to run backwards shooting them with the guns I had lots of ammo for but had to be close range to use.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Ahhh, I remember back in FO3 when killing Deathclaws was as easy as tagging them once with the dart gun and then slowly backpedaling until they died.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I honestly can't decide whether I want inventory management in the next game to be better, or if the clunkiness gives a nice contribution to the game's atmosphere

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Doesn't attacking negate stealth boys? Also,they are super fast, so they sstill chargeand get a couple of attacks, even with 6 Plasma Defender headshots in VATS

I don't think so; normal discovery rules still work though. So if you're discovered, you're discovered...once you're hidden again though, you get the full Stealth Boy buff for its duration. It's just for the freedom of that initial from stealth crit headshot, which usually will oneshot even a Deathclaw assuming you're using a weapon you're proficient in (or just has high base damage), moreso obviously if you're perked for stealth.

But IIRC (it's been awhile) Stealth Boys litter Lonesome Road, I think that's how I handled most of the Deathclaws in LR, including the unique who never even found me before I killed her.

Also, they have an aggro range, and at least on the main long road portion, it's not too hard to just skirt their radius and take em out one by one if you've got a decent zoom capable weapon.

Of course, I also had the energy weapon explody perk; and while causing more problems than it solved for most of NV, the Deathclaw section of LR it helped quite a bit. A critted headshot from stealth could easily take out several bunched up, and the explosion radius was large.

I don't have that yet, but it sounds like something my energy weapon guy would be interested in. Crits do pretty good damage, but not one shot, I don't think.

For reference, sneak attack crits in NV (and 3 I think) are twice what the weapons crit damage would normally be and as, or more, importantly, they're guaranteed if you're hidden. So, for example, your mentioned Plasma Defender does 38 damage base, 38 damage crit (which isn't the worst, but only has a base crit rate, and isn't really meant to be a crit weapon), meaning crits will do 76 damage; sneak attack crits will do 154 damage, however. If you have better criticals it's +50% crit damage, meaning the crit damage becomes 57, making crits do 95 and sneak attack crits do 190.

And there are plenty of other modifiers too, that could bring it up.

So lets say you have Better Criticals, The Professional, Laser Commander, are attacking from stealth, and are using Pew Pew (being both a laser weapon and a pistol for those perks, and not terrible hard to obtain). Pew Pew's base damage is 75 and it's crit damage is 50. Better criticals is +50% to crit damage, The Professional is +20% damage to Sneak Attack Criticals and Laser Commander gives you +15% damage to critical hits.

So you've got 1.15(75 + (50 x 1.5)) = 172.5 for normal crits and for sneak attack criticals you have 1.2(172.5 x 2) = 414 damage.

If you want to stick with energy weapons, and don't have the wild wasteland trait, you can fast travel back to the wasteland and pick up a YCS/186 (if you have wild wasteland the camp has aliens instead and you can get an alien blaster, totally different weapon). It's base damage is 140 and crit is 70. If you had it and Better Criticals your base crit damage would be 245 and your sneak attack crits would be 490. Toss in a max charge shell and it changes it to 315 crit and 630 sneak attack crit.

Or if you've done Dead Money and have the holorifle it's 80+80x1.5 with better crits, 200 base crit, 400 sneak attack crit.

There's another major bonus crit damage perk, but it's level 50, and it's just one of the various level 50 perks.

Aaaanyway, my point is, sneak attack crits make a pretty large difference than your base crit. Deathclaws are pretty perceptive, so a stealth boy will likely only get you that first shot on them, unless you've pumped up your own stealth skill...then coupled with a stealth boy (and maybe recon armor, or better the fully upgraded Stealth Suit MkII from OWB) you can almost just fire at your whim and they probably won't find you unless they're in your face...and even then.

But sneak attack criticals are still super potent even if you're not playing stealth based. You still get that double crit damage bonus even if you have one point in stealth, as long as you're hidden. Take advantage of it as often as you can.

And by the way, the Meltdown perk does the same damage as you did with the initial shot, to everything in its radius. So if you hit a deathclaw in the face from stealth with a YCS for 630, and kill it, everything nearby takes 630 damage and have a chance of triggering their own meltdown. Granted you aren't required to crit to trigger meltdown, only kill (so you can trigger it with like 10 damage, which is no fun). Meltdown is a sight to behold; but be aware that you can also be hit by it, so it makes virtually all energy weapons useless in close range. I tell you what though, seeing a whole pack of deathclaws blow the fuck up in a single shot almost makes carrying a totally different weapon type for closer range (and pretty much every indoor area) worth it. As a side note, though, the explosion virtually always dismembers bodies, so the perk completely trivializes the Ghosts in Dead Money...so that is another plus. EDIT: also it's an explosion, so it can scatter items and make them really difficult to find; and being as glitchy as gamebryo is, you can often blow things into the geometry never to be seen again...just another reason to not ever use it indoors (though it still blows shit far and wide outdoors too, so if you know a camp has a unique or something you're specifically looking for that isn't tracked by a quest, use it with caution)

Maths! I've probably got numbers wrong in places, but alas, it should be good enough to get the point across. Crouch your ass down and shoot for the head!

EDIT: Just looked it up, and on normal difficulty, if you're 45+, you'll still have a really hard time one shotting those deathclaws (they have 700 health 45+ in Lonesome Road), but that just makes the sneak crit all the more valuable.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Quick question about Miss Fortune and I'm hoping you guys know the answer.

So as far as I know she does a small AOE attack that cripples/knocks down/knocks out characters and breaks their guns. At least that's what I've heard, I haven't gotten to a high enough level to pick her yet on this playthrough. Anyway, I've also heard that if your companions get caught in the AOE it can damage their equipment too. Is this true? Also does she just damage enemy weapons for the duration of the fight and then when you pick them up they are at whatever durability they would have been anyway, or does she just break weapons period? If both of these things I'm asking about are true, then it seems like a pretty crappy perk that nobody should pick ever. I'm hoping this is not the case, cause I'd like to try it out. I loved Mysterious Stranger in the past games.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    I'm using the Defender, RCW, and the Q35. I didn't know stealth Crits were better.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I really need a combination of pretty mods and gameplay mods which won't fuck everything up.

Like randomly making me CTD when interacting with the Mojave Express Dropbox.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular

So as far as I know she does a small AOE attack that cripples/knocks down/knocks out characters and breaks their guns. At least that's what I've heard, I haven't gotten to a high enough level to pick her yet on this playthrough. Anyway, I've also heard that if your companions get caught in the AOE it can damage their equipment too. Is this true? Also does she just damage enemy weapons for the duration of the fight and then when you pick them up they are at whatever durability they would have been anyway, or does she just break weapons period? If both of these things I'm asking about are true, then it seems like a pretty crappy perk that nobody should pick ever. I'm hoping this is not the case, cause I'd like to try it out. I loved Mysterious Stranger in the past games.

I've tried to use miss fortune before but it always felt like a waste of a perk. It tries and fails to compare to the total awesomeness of the mysterious stranger

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I honestly can't decide whether I want inventory management in the next game to be better, or if the clunkiness gives a nice contribution to the game's atmosphere

I don't really mind the Pipboy as an interface for inventory and quest management, but I'd like the controls to at least be better. Honestly, if they actually did away with the main character having a Pipboy, I'd also not be disappointed, because I'm kinda over it at this point.

I'm more over creating my character in that stupid 'future machine' interface which makes everything look distorted and gives me a small, circular window to see my character. Knock that shit off and just do a Skyrim-like character creation where I can see my whole character, zoom in and out, etc.

• Options

I don't really mind the Pipboy as an interface for inventory and quest management, but I'd like the controls to at least be better. Honestly, if they actually did away with the main character having a Pipboy, I'd also not be disappointed, because I'm kinda over it at this point.

I'm more over creating my character in that stupid 'future machine' interface which makes everything look distorted and gives me a small, circular window to see my character. Knock that shit off and just do a Skyrim-like character creation where I can see my whole character, zoom in and out, etc.

Oh yeah, character creation can definitely be better.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    making character creators with limited movement and weird lighting just seems to be the way things are done

every single one i've ever used has been annoying in some way

• Options
    edited September 2014
    farbekrieg wrote: »

I've tried to use miss fortune before but it always felt like a waste of a perk. It tries and fails to compare to the total awesomeness of the mysterious stranger

Honestly, while Mysterious Stranger was crazy overpowered in FO3 (mainly because of the degree at which high level enemies were bullet sponges, far more than FONV), I found him and Miss Fortune to be more or less useless in FONV. In part because, since the base gunplay is substantially better, I found myself using VATS far less than in FO3, but also just because they plain weren't nearly as powerful. Both require not outright killing the enemy and using VATS; Mysterious Stranger only triggers if the enemy is almost dead already, and they can't trigger together.

I'd recommend choosing other perks.

Though, honestly I never used them with the perk from the challenge for them, to double their trigger rate.

But to answer the question, yes, she can sometimes target your followers, but she won't damage them or cripple them; just at most break their weapons (which sucks in of itself). As far as what she does to enemies, she does fairly trivial damage, but can knock down, cripple limbs and break weapons. Which on the surface sounds great; except that she only persists while you're in VATS (i.e. anything that is a high AP cost makes her effectively useless), and as I already said, if you outright kill the enemy she won't show up anyway.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I kept trying to decrypt their perks to make another one with a different character so ideally, you'd pick up all these perks through quests and randomly in VATS combat, you'd have an army of various wasteland characters pop up and attack....sadly, it never worked....probably would have crashed the game in awesome.....

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    But seriously, bethesda's usual problems with interfaces was just exacerbated by the fact that there really wasn't much worth looting

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    But seriously, bethesda's usual problems with interfaces was just exacerbated by the fact that there really wasn't much worth looting

Now, now, there's plenty worth looting... it's just that most of it only serves the purpose of me exchanging it for caps.

Though, thinking about it...

Ammo for guns I use
    Food/water/medical supplies (including various drugs)
    I'm always on the lookout for certain crafting supplies (especially stuff I can use for Weapon Repair Kits)
    The rare upgrade or new toy to play around with
    Items that are just fun to collect. Like toy dinosaurs, or a nuka cola truck.

And then all the crap I pick up to sell, ranging from cartons of cigarettes to laser pistols to raider armor.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, I want to say that the vast majority of things to pick up in the Fallout games actually do have one purpose or another. Whether any given player would use them, or whether they need them right then is another story.

I try to keep mental notes of where certain crafting materials are located so when I'm ready to make whatever, I know where to go to grab it; so I'm not trying to loot everything in one place.

EDIT: I mean, hey, there's certainly no lack of useless junk too...but I like that it's there and intractable. Makes the game a lot more fun to me.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    farbekrieg wrote: »

Honestly, while Mysterious Stranger was crazy overpowered in FO3 (mainly because of the degree at which high level enemies were bullet sponges, far more than FONV), I found him and Miss Fortune to be more or less useless in FONV. In part because, since the base gunplay is substantially better, I found myself using VATS far less than in FO3, but also just because they plain weren't nearly as powerful. Both require not outright killing the enemy and using VATS; Mysterious Stranger only triggers if the enemy is almost dead already, and they can't trigger together.

I'd recommend choosing other perks.

Though, honestly I never used them with the perk from the challenge for them, to double their trigger rate.

But to answer the question, yes, she can sometimes target your followers, but she won't damage them or cripple them; just at most break their weapons (which sucks in of itself). As far as what she does to enemies, she does fairly trivial damage, but can knock down, cripple limbs and break weapons. Which on the surface sounds great; except that she only persists while you're in VATS (i.e. anything that is a high AP cost makes her effectively useless), and as I already said, if you outright kill the enemy she won't show up anyway.

Yeah, screw that. Thanks for the info. I guess I'll be avoiding Miss Fortune, but still getting Mysterious Stranger even if he is a bit nerfed, because I just love the perk.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Seems Elijah's LAER works better for me. I thought my Plasma perks helped with damage, but they only do AP, so yeah. My lasers are working better for me right now.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Gecko flamer.

This is amazing.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Seems Elijah's LAER works better for me. I thought my Plasma perks helped with damage, but they only do AP, so yeah. My lasers are working better for me right now.
    lasers are better than plasma in general

IIRC the only really decent plasma weapons are the q-35 and plasma defender

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »

Are we talking about NV? Energy weapons in NV in general felt pretty lackluster; particularly compared to FO3. The only real good options, IMO, come from the DLC's; base-game wise, you're really better off with normal type guns (if you want to shoot things anyway). There's just far more variety and options. Plasma weapon wise there are very few options. I sorely missed the Novasurge from FO3.

On the other hand, if you don't care about variety, just get Pew Pew, the XCS and a fully modded Holorifle and you'll never need anything else.

• Options
    energy weapons got a fair amount of love in the later balance patches, and there's a fair few vanilla ones i'd still recommend: the RCW, the Gatling Laser, the unique whatsit found in Vault 22

all perfectly serviceable, even very good weapons

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »

coincidentally, those are the plasmas I use.

• Options
    Tee-hee, I'm such a bastard for justice.

I talked to the Legion guy upon arriving in Niption, but I don't want to piss off that faction yet so that I can eventually get the Lucky Shades, so I didn't slaughter them all for being murdering monsters. What I did do is go through the dialogue with the quest giver, then let him and his squad walk away. As they were walking away I hid with a silenced pistol and sniped each of them one by one going up the ranks, and then only leaving the quest giver alive. I got to kill the bad guys and didn't piss off the Legion, and nobody's wise to what I did. There is also the added benefit of a bit of loot I got from them. ;)

To rub it in his face, I even ran up to the quest giver that was walking away afterwards and talked to him. He turned around to face me surrounded by the bodies of his men and asked me if there was anything else I wanted to ask him. Unfortunately the only dialogue option it gave me at that point was to call him a monster for what they had done in the town, but it didn't seem to piss him off or lower my reputation. So I'm cool there right?

• Options
    My favorite Nipton journey ended with the sole Legion guy left hoping to appease my wasteland justice by crucifying himself.

OK so it was a patching glitch but the guy ran back to the front of town hall, turned around, walked backwards to an open crucifix, then jumped backwards onto it. Then just stayed there watching me, hoping I'd leave him to his fate.

Of course I put a rocket into his face on the way out, but it was an interesting gesture on his part.

• Options
    ScreenShot0_zps8b7f0bca.png

Gods damn I look like hot shit.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    What gun is that on your back?

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    What gun is that on your back?

Just a generic Plasma Rifle.

Which I love, but sadly it lacks in modability. Probably going to take Heavyweight as my next perk so I can just use a Plasma Caster/Tesla Cannon/Gatling Laser instead with a Plasma Defender as my sidearm. Still, always been a fan of Plasma weaponry in general and I've got a couple levels to mull it over.

Also, Jury Rigging is kinda awesome. I was looking at about 15k+ caps to repair both the Enclave armor and helmet with a "meh" skilled merchant. With Jury Rigging? The armor is at near perfect condition by slapping on chunks of Metal Armor I pulled off some dead raiders, and the helmet is in working order using nothing more than bits of cloth and taxidermied dog heads. Can't believe I've never taken that perk before, massive cap saver. That, and the like 20 weapon repair kits I've built and stashed away.

• Options
    Jury rigging is a ridiculously good skill both for equipment upkeep and massive profit.

Fix a hunting rifle with a varmint? Sure whatever. Ballisitic Fist with boxing tape? Uhh, I guess? Power Armor with lame spiky Metal Armor raiders wear? Why the hell not! Now let's sell it all for 4-8k a piece!

The biggest problem you get once you have jury rigging is finding enough places to sell high-tier gear that you repaired for dirt cheap.

• Options
    So, I just talked to Ranger Andy in Novac, who asked me to check up on Ranger Station Charlie.
    I check on the station and everyone has been slaughered. Go back to Andy and I'm given two options. One to tell him he Legion did it, the other to do a speech check and lie to him about it.

What's the point to lying and then getting a bigger reward? Is this an option specifically if you are a supporter of the other faction mentioned in the spoiler? If so, why would I have to pass a high speech check just to support a different faction?

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    So, I just talked to Ranger Andy in Novac, who asked me to check up on Ranger Station Charlie.
    I check on the station and everyone has been slaughered. Go back to Andy and I'm given two options. One to tell him he Legion did it, the other to do a speech check and lie to him about it.

What's the point to lying and then getting a bigger reward? Is this an option specifically if you are a supporter of the other faction mentioned in the spoiler? If so, why would I have to pass a high speech check just to support a different faction?
    The speech check is to convince him of your lie that ranger station charlie is alright; he'll suspect you're just trying to protect his feelings if you're not a good liar.

Also I reinstalled new vegas the other day and added a crapton of mods. I really like how Fallout Character Overhaul makes people actually look like people without those godawful Bethesda faces.

This audio glitch made me chuckle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ADlbNXGuAU&list=UUm2wJHZcYO7q-p9Sh1oZRFw

EvmaAlsar on
    6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »

The speech check is to convince him of your lie that ranger station charlie is alright; he'll suspect you're just trying to protect his feelings if you're not a good liar.

Also I reinstalled new vegas the other day and added a crapton of mods. I really like how Fallout Character Overhaul makes people actually look like people without those godawful Bethesda faces.

This audio glitch made me chuckle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ADlbNXGuAU&list=UUm2wJHZcYO7q-p9Sh1oZRFw
    Actually the lie was specifically that I had no idea who killed the rangers even though I found the tape from the Legion claiming responsibility.

That thought had crossed my mind that you are just trying to spare his feelings somehow, but it seemed like a bafflingly stupid thing to lie about, considering it's something the authorities would need to be warned about right away.

• Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    A steak! wrote: »
    As long as I get to play a normal dude who thinks he is an android I'll be happy.
    Humans are really boring though. If I can't be a ghoul or supermutant, I atleast want to be an android.

Nobody wants to buy the perk that allows you to plant a machine gun in your chest and fire it off? Just me? Come on!

So...you want to play Buttons McBoomBoom in Fallout? Needs a zoot suit.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I'm debating, put in blood sweat, and tears to create a medical clinic mod where you gets caps and XP from diagnosing and treating patients......
    or have my sister in law record my nieces screaming and make a gun with that sound effect.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I'm debating, put in blood sweat, and tears to create a medical clinic mod where you gets caps and XP from diagnosing and treating patients......
    or have my sister in law record my nieces screaming and make a gun with that sound effect.

Why not both?

Also, would the second thing be like a sonic blaster gun from 40K? If so, I would be all over that.

• Options
    Jury rigging is a ridiculously good skill both for equipment upkeep and massive profit.

Fix a hunting rifle with a varmint? Sure whatever. Ballisitic Fist with boxing tape? Uhh, I guess? Power Armor with lame spiky Metal Armor raiders wear? Why the hell not! Now let's sell it all for 4-8k a piece!

The biggest problem you get once you have jury rigging is finding enough places to sell high-tier gear that you repaired for dirt cheap.

Do shops eventually recharge caps?

• Options

Do shops eventually recharge caps?

They do, yes. I think it's twice a week or so, and make sure you aren't in the town if you're waiting it out.

By mid to end game, I just usually make a fast travel run around all the easy to reach shops on the map, then stash any extra vendor loot and go do some adventuring, then repeat the whole process.

This discussion has been closed.