As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You May Now Resume Watching [TV] Shows About Cops And Other, Worse Shows Not About Cops

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Bubby wrote: »
    McConaughey deserved that.

Ehh...

Against Walter White?
    I think so

I mean don't get me wrong, Cranston was amazing

but he'd already won the award for the role twice beforehand and McConaughey's character was fucking unreal and unlike any other role on television right now

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    HBO bet pretty heavily that movie stars would win them a bunch of awards and it turns out that nope!

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Didnt the big bang theory guy win best comedy actor again?

The awards are kind of ridiculous, surely they dont have any impact on ratings or sales or even popularity?

Theyre like holidays, with a vague meaning but mainly whatever meaning you want to bring to the occasion is fine.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Didnt the big bang theory guy win best comedy actor again?

The awards are kind of ridiculous, surely they dont have any impact on ratings or sales or even popularity?

Theyre like holidays, with a vague meaning but mainly whatever meaning you want to bring to the occasion is fine.

As always, Film Critic Hulk has answers.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    awards can help, especially for shows that are struggling a little bit in the ratings

• Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    Anyone else have an opinion on the new Starz show Outlander? I've watched all three episodes and find it pretty interesting if a bit plotting. "Stranger in a strange land" (they even say these words which was awesomely silly) style time travel hook (From 1945 to 1743 Scotland) with a strong engaging female lead. It's a bit Braveheart and bit Downton Abbey so far which is a weird comparison but here we are.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    *kicks down the door*

HEY ANIME THREAD

So it turns out Psycho-Pass is Pretty Dang Good(tm)

Also BoJack Horseman is depressing as fuck

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Anyone else have an opinion on the new Starz show Outlander? I've watched all three episodes and find it pretty interesting if a bit plotting. "Stranger in a strange land" (they even say these words which was awesomely silly) style time travel hook (From 1945 to 1743 Scotland) with a strong engaging female lead. It's a bit Braveheart and bit Downton Abbey so far which is a weird comparison but here we are.

I don't think I have more opinion on Outlander than "For now I'll just keep watching it". It's not great, but it's not bad either and it has potential.

In unrelated news, In terms of "who are the bad guys?" The Last Ship has just decended from "Reagan-esque" into "cartoon level villainy of the Teaparty persuasion".
    Deliberately coralling the sick/poor, killing them and burning their bodies for power. Really? Really?!?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

I don't think I have more opinion on Outlander than "For now I'll just keep watching it". It's not great, but it's not bad either and it has potential.

In unrelated news, In terms of "who are the bad guys?" The Last Ship has just decended from "Reagan-esque" into "cartoon level villainy of the Teaparty persuasion".
    Deliberately corralling the sick/poor, killing them and burning their bodies for power. Really? Really?!?

I know.

So inefficient.

You could get the same results with five Mortys and a car battery.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Continuing with Parks S5, this show has the sweetest Bachelor Party plot-line I've ever seen. A lesser show would have just gone "Ha, nerds, am I right?" but they turned it into something beautiful.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Not much to complain about, Emmy-wise. Except of course for Jim fucking Parsons winning again goddammit.

Also Andre Braugher not winning Best Supporting Actor in Comedy. That's some bullshit right there.

But all in all the shows I wanted to get awards for them.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    They need to make a rule about not being eligible if you won the previous year.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Why?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options

Why?
    because the same actor winning for the same role 3 times is kinda boring

Like we already know Cranston was amazing as Walter White, you don't need to keep reminding us

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Why?

Like we already know Cranston was amazing as Walter White, you don't need to keep reminding us

So you'd rather an award be based on the entertainment it provides over the merit in attaining it?

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular

Why?

So you'd rather an award be based on the entertainment it provides over the merit in attaining it?

well

we ARE talking about the Emmys

• Options
    DeliciousTacosDeliciousTacos Registered User regular
    The Emmys have long since abandoned hope when it comes to merit

• Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Veretas wrote: »
    *kicks down the door*

HEY ANIME THREAD

So it turns out Psycho-Pass is Pretty Dang Good(tm)

Also BoJack Horseman is depressing as fuck

Take it easy bro!

If you say "A N I M E THREAD" in a post 3 times Geth WILL KILL YOU.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Awards shows are so predictable. Cranston was good but didn't do his best work in the back 8 of Breaking Bad. But awards shows can't stand not giving a ton of awards to a show's final season if it's one of their darlings.

Also, Dean Norris should've gotten the supporting actor over Aaron Paul, but Paul was really good too so it's whatever.

I'm pretty sure the Emmy voters were butthurt about HBO not submitting True Detective as a miniseries and that's why they didn't give it more of the awards it probably deserved.

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Continuing with Parks S5, this show has the sweetest Bachelor Party plot-line I've ever seen. A lesser show would have just gone "Ha, nerds, am I right?" but they turned it into something beautiful.

Pretty sure this is my favorite ep in the series, although there are a lot of contenders

• Options
    McConaughey got greedy and went for best actor in a drama against the dramatic actor of television for the past couple years.

If he'd submitted in miniseries he'd have an emmy right now.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    McConaughey got greedy and went for best actor in a drama against the dramatic actor of television for the past couple years.

If he'd submitted in miniseries he'd have an emmy right now.

I... don't think he's able to choose one over the other?
    It depends on what the network submits the show as

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Don't the networks decide how to submit? Even if it was McConaughey's decision I'd say he made the right one though. Why submit for a category you're guaranteed to win but has less prestige? He should've beaten Cranston for it just based on the fact he was outright better than Cranston this year. He can't help it awards shows can't help themselves giving awards to people in the last seasons of their shows even if they weren't the best performances.

Honestly though at the end of the day, as far as any of it matters, "nominated for best actor in a drama" means more to people than "win best actor in a miniseries." McConaughey doesn't need to win anyway.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    I mean really yeah, folks like McConaughey and Julia Roberts don't need to win these awards. Not for any career boosting reason.

I honestly feel bad for Jon Hamm. Everyone always jokes that Hamm doesn't need an award because his life is already so great but the guy has talked about his struggles with anxiety & depression. Probably not a great thing to smother a guy with the idea that his life is already perfect...

Zonugal on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I'm okay with True Detective not being in the miniseries category. It left it wide open for Fargo to take.

I would've been happy with Cranston or McConaughey, no matter who won. So long as the battle between them didn't let Spacey or Daniels sneak in...

ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    By the way, Billy Eichner was the best part of this year's Emmy show.

http://youtu.be/HFiElMeRs2w

• Options
    Hamm will probably get the best actor for the back half of Mad Men's final season just to make up for the fact they never gave him one, plus the aforementioned "omg it's the last season of a great show give it all the awards whether or not it deserves them" syndrome.

• Options
    You're making some strange implications here.

Maybe, just maybe, people watched both the final 8 of Breaking Bad and True Detective and found Breaking Bad's run better (like I did)? Hell, I'm pretty sure the only reason True Detective won for Direction was because AMC didn't submit Ozymandias.

ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I take issue with series that return season after season being called a miniseries, so I was glad to see True Detective in the drama category.

I'm sorry, if your show runs for season length and retains its title and general concept for more than one year, you're a regular series, not a miniseries. Looking at you American Horror Story.

Fargo will be guilty of this too if they enter as a miniseries next year.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Hamm will probably get the best actor for the back half of Mad Men's final season just to make up for the fact they never gave him one, plus the aforementioned "omg it's the last season of a great show give it all the awards whether or not it deserves them" syndrome.

That would be my guess.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    True Detective won for directing because Fukunaga did an unreal job directing all 8 episodes of True Detective. Also, "Who Goes There" was a better directed episode of TV than anything Breaking Bad ever did, and that show had some great direction. That 6 minute tracking shot....

I would've still given Breaking Bad's final 8 best drama. Just not best actor. Plain and simple it wasn't Cranston's best work on the show. The supporting cast were the standouts of the back 8, and McConaughey crushed what Cranston did in their respective 8 episodes.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    hamm5.jpg

Give this man an Emmy.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    For that scene and the BANJO scene

• Options
    edited August 2014
    rhylith wrote: »
    I take issue with series that return season after season being called a miniseries, so I was glad to see True Detective in the drama category.

I'm sorry, if your show runs for season length and retains its title and general concept for more than one year, you're a regular series, not a miniseries. Looking at you American Horror Story.

Fargo will be guilty of this too if they enter as a miniseries next year.

I disagree. Fargo, True Detective, and American Horror Story(this show doesn't deserve mentioned with those 2 but whatever) have entirely different characters and stories from season to season.

The idea is that if you submit in the drama category, it's expected that you're up against shows that have years of character development/story going. Even though Cranston won best actor for Breaking Bad this year, it wasn't just about those last 8 episodes. It was everything he had done culminating in that. True Detective, Fargo, AHS, don't have that.

Especially not TD/Fargo, because they won't even have the same actors from season to season. I think it's totally fine to let them submit as miniseries if they want like Fargo, or let them go for Drama if they think they can take a shot at the shows that have advantages over them. The only advantage True Detective could've claimed is high profile film actors being on the show, and even that isn't that great an advantage because guys like Cranston/Hamm are just as high profile in the TV realm as Harrelson/McConaughey are in film. It's their arena.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    hamm5.jpg

Give this man an Emmy.

I literally just watched this episode.

So good.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular

The guys jamming out to 'Shoop' in the car kills me every time.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Yeah, I am pretty sure True Detective is disqualified from being a miniseries due to it getting a second season, even if it has an entirely new cast and story.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    The Judge wrote: »

The guys jamming out to 'Shoop' in the car kills me every time.

The fact that it was also a callback to this was the icing on the cake.

t7l7oayezyfa.jpg

• Options
    Yeah, I am pretty sure True Detective is disqualified from being a miniseries due to it getting a second season, even if it has an entirely new cast and story.

Incorrect. HBO could've submitted it in drama or miniseries because of the anthology format. Same reason American Horror Story can submit as miniseries. FYI Fargo had a 2nd season ordered last month, and of course they also submitted as miniseries.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular

American Horror Story has a bunch of Emmys specifically because it's allowed to submit as a miniseries

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.