As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Vigil's Theme, still giving us chills after all these years.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    A valid question would be how many quarians were killed by geth and how many quarians were killed by quarians.

Also, how many quarians killed themselves through sheer incompetence.

Quarians: "If we detonate these nuclear bombs in the atmosphere, the sunlight will be blocked and the Geth can no longer use solar energy!"

Geth: "Advise: Do not follow this course of action. Statement: We are not solar powered. Addendum: Bioware will be targetted by legal action."

Quarians: "See! They don't want us to do this, so it MUST work!"

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Phoenix138Phoenix138 ArizonaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Wyborn wrote: »
    BioWare doesn't tend to go super-hard sci-fi, I think at least partially because writing a completely alien perspective is actually super hard, especially with the amount of dialogue demanded by a BioWare-style game.

Hard sci-fi-style aliens are super rad, and make for interesting dissections of what does or does not define humanity, but I can see why BioWare's writers made the call to make their aliens essentially human in their values and emotional responses (the most alien were the geth, and they still ended up fairly human by the end). It's easier for players to identify with and positively respond to the characters that way.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're referring to, but one of my regrets with the series is how humans were introduced as newcomers to the galactic community in 1 but had made very rapid advances that had been the cause of both concern and in some cases admiration from the other races. I could've been misreading it but it seemed like they were hinting that there was something unique to human nature that led to this quick rise. Over the course of the series this didn't really seem to present itself in any meaningful way as most of the other races behaved pretty much like humans.

Phoenix138 on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    I basically assumed it was meant to be historical accident that put humanity in the "1870s Germany/1900s Japan" rising power spot.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Look, all I know is that when you have the opportunity to eradicate three rival species on the path to establishing god-empress Shepard on her golden throne, you do it.

Do not ask, why kill the alien. Instead ask, why not?

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Look, all I know is that when you have the opportunity to eradicate three rival species on the path to establishing god-empress Shepard on her golden throne, you do it.

"Blessed is the mind too small for doubt"

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    A valid question would be how many quarians were killed by geth and how many quarians were killed by quarians.

Also, how many quarians killed themselves through sheer incompetence.
    They're a lot like Cerberus in that regard.

• Options
    A Quarian variant of Cerberus headed by Xen would make for an interesting antagonist in one of the upcoming games.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Phoenix138 wrote: »
    A Quarian variant of Cerberus headed by Xen would make for an interesting antagonist in one of the upcoming games.

How? The quarians were wiped out by the Geth in what is generally called the "Good Riddance War"

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    I'm almost certain that the codex was written by an entirely separate group of people than those who did everything else in the game. Like, both groups had the same general information about everything, but the codex group put a lot of thought into how a fairly hard sci-fi world would work, and then the main group paid absolutely no attention to what the codex group wrote and did whatever they wanted. So as a result we've got nearly invincible Krogan in the codex, and gunning down Krogan with maybe one more clip than normal enemies in gameplay. We've got ship to ship combat being sniper fights fought well beyond visual range in the codex, and then Star Trek ranges in the cutscenes.
    Quite vincible in gameplay and cutscenes. I haven't killed Wrex in 1 or 3, but my understanding is that he goes down pretty easily. Similarly, when he's on Sur'Kesh, seeing two snipers with a bead on him gives Wrex pause.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    By "easy" you mean shooting him about ten times, or dropping him off a tall building after shooting him.

• Options
    ToonToon Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Siding with the Reapers as a species is a move that's dumb enough that a typical BSN forum troll can see the inherent problems. Therefore, the Geth as a species were rendered less intellent than a typical BSN forum troll by the Quarians.

Who are the real monsters here?

Batarians.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Wyborn wrote: »
    BioWare doesn't tend to go super-hard sci-fi, I think at least partially because writing a completely alien perspective is actually super hard, especially with the amount of dialogue demanded by a BioWare-style game.

Hard sci-fi-style aliens are super rad, and make for interesting dissections of what does or does not define humanity, but I can see why BioWare's writers made the call to make their aliens essentially human in their values and emotional responses (the most alien were the geth, and they still ended up fairly human by the end). It's easier for players to identify with and positively respond to the characters that way.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're referring to, but one of my regrets with the series is how humans were introduced as newcomers to the galactic community in 1 but had made very rapid advances that had been the cause of both concern and in some cases admiration from the other races. I could've been misreading it but it seemed like they were hinting that there was something unique to human nature that led to this quick rise. Over the course of the series this didn't really seem to present itself in any meaningful way as most of the other races behaved pretty much like humans.

The issue was the galaxy was pretty content with the status quo after the Krogan Rebellions. Then humans burst in and start acting like Team America World Police and pulled it off fairly successfully. It was a move no one really saw coming just like the Rachni. Human military doctrine was also quite calculated to maximize the use of their small, elite naval and N7 special forces. I rather liked that explanation. He who defends everything, defends nothing.

So yeah, humans are special. But the reasons why they're special are explained. The Krogans are too depleted, the Salarians prefer their spy networks, the Turians were busy playing Romans, the Asari were content pulling strings, and the other races just let the big three do whatever. Then the Battle of the Citadel happened and regardless of your choice the majority of the Citadel Defense fleet, the largest in the galaxy, was gutted. After than, humanity became an essential part of galactic politics because we were willing to step up and get stuff done.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    The more I think of it, the less the Krogan Rebellions make sense.

I mean, I thought the Krogans lacked infrastructure and heavy machinery.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular

They might not have before the Salarians uplifted them but they most certainly had them after.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

"Blessed is the mind too small for doubt"

Some may question your right to destroy ten billion people. Those who understand know that you have no right to let them live.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    i do enjoy how tuchanka is basically space australia, where everything will kill you

probably a penal colony in the prothean days

then the local herd-fauna learned how to use guns

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    You show up at their secret base for the big fight, and everything is already on fire, there are bodies everywhere, and there are a bunch of geth standing around, looking really confused, who when pressed say, 'We heard some of the creators were here, so we brought houseplants to welcome them to the system. Only houseplants.'

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    the quarians are basically south park characters who will all panic and get themselves killed at the slightest provocation

override367 on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Axen wrote: »
    A portion of the Geth side with the Reapers in 1 and 2. It would be like killing all of humanity over Cerberus.

And the Quarians started the war, so self preservation was the right choice to make.. In fact, it was the war that forced the Geth to side with the Reapers for self preservation.

Yeah but that doesn't mesh with the history. Geth Heretics were under Reaper control for what? Maybe a handful of years? In the hundreds of years before hand the Geth were doing a pretty damn good job of destroying the Quarians.

One of the reasons no one wanted to help the Quarians retake their world (apart from it being their own fault) was that the Geth war machine was formidable and Citadel forces would have suffered extensive casualties.

And that was all before the Reapers.

A full scale Quarian attack on the Geth should have been suicide, even without the Geth's Reaper upgrades.

I guess you can chalk it up to poor writing.

The council fucked the Geth up pretty hard between ME1 and ME3, destroying anything of theirs that came within range of council sensors

I'm pretty sure Anderson explained it in ME2 if you brought legion with you

override367 on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    You show up at their secret base for the big fight, and everything is already on fire, there are bodies everywhere, and there are a bunch of geth standing around, looking really confused, who when pressed say, 'We heard some of the creators were here, so we brought houseplants to welcome them to the system. Only houseplants.'

Xen actually seemed less likely than most quarians to get into that mess.

I mean, she's evil, and weird, and probably kind of insane, but she's the first member of the species we've met whose "We should kill the geth" plan actually worked until the Reapers got involved.

And her work on the Crucible project goes without a hitch!

For a quarian, she's quite competent.

• Options
    And it wasn't originally to kill the Geth, just retask them.

Damn toasters.

• Options
    iguanacus wrote: »

They might not have before the Salarians uplifted them but they most certainly had them after.

Kinda? So the Krogan were uplifted and then nuked their entire world. There is no indication that the ability to produce (smarts/will/whatever was ever there) that we see after that. If the Genophage took away their will to fight other races where is the remnants of the stuff they were using? If the Genophage didn't and was a productive capacity issue then why can't the Krogans make anything? If it was all destroyed then why would the Genophage have even stopped the war?

Or to put it simply; the one thing we do not ever see a Krogan with is the one thing they would need in order to prosecute an interstellar war. They cannot build wells and we are expected to believe that they terrorized the galaxy in spaceships?

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    We know the Krogans had spaceships because they fought an interstellar war. If you read some of the codex entries they explain that the Krogans were given several colonies as gifts after the rachni wars. It stands to reason that spacecraft were also provided. Plus, it's not like they couldn't have bought some ships before they started fucking things up.

yossarian_lives on
    "I see everything twice!"

• Options
    edited August 2014
    We know the Krogans had spaceships because they fought an interstellar war. If you read some of the codex entries they explain that the Krogans were given several colonies as gifts after the rachni wars. It stands to reason that spacecraft were also provided. Plus, it's not like they couldn't have bought some ships before they started fucking things up.

Then why would birth rate stop the war? A: it would not unless it was the growth of productive capacity that was the danger. Otherwise the spaceships will run out and the Krogan will go back to living in caves like they do currently.

The war would be over amazingly fast when the handful of ships the Krogan had were destroyed and then the Krogan could do nothing because they couldn't build them. Even if the Krogan had an armada an Armada would eventually fall to the fact that the rest of the galaxy could actually build new ships

It's not a hard concept to grasp. An army that increases in size rapidly needs a navy that increases in size equally fast in order to maintain naval power. The Krogans reproductive rate isn't a threat unless it lets them build spaceships that much faster. But the Krogan can't do that, the can't even build houses.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the krogan nuked their own planet before the war; pretty sure eve tells you at one point that they had a late-industrial society before being uplifted. Tuchanka at the time krogans got uplifted was/is basically the post-dr. strangelove scenario. The galaxy uplifted them to fight the rachnii, then gave them a bunch of worlds to settle in exchange. The krogan rapidly outbred the capacity of those worlds and wanted to colonize new ones, and the council or whoever were like 'yeah we only got a limited supply of these, guys.' Thus the krogan rebellions.

left unexplained (iirc) is why quarantine on tuchanka wouldn't have been a solution preferable to the genophage though

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I'm not really sure why you think they didn't have the ships needed for a massive war. The Krogans had a large space force because they were able to fight an interstellar war. We know this because that's what happened. The genophage stopped the war because it was a species wide event that effectively brought their natural birthrate down. By continuing the war they would have wiped themselves out. The whole point of the genophage was to force the Krogan into a peaceful existence by making it so their birthrate would go negative if they kept fighting.

All this means is that they had a large space force that they could keep reinforcing. They also had a large population to continually draw soldiers from. Dropping the birthrate meant that a war of attrition would effectively become genocidal.

yossarian_lives on

• Options
    Then where are the ships? Don't you get it? If what you say is right then the Krogan must have ships. Krogan don't have ships ergo what you're saying is wrong.

The fact that were told that the Krogan had a galaxy threatening rebellion which could only be cured with the genophage is one of the things which makes no sense and one of the reasons it doesn't make sense is because the Krogan have no ships and they should have ships. They have no spaceports they have no industrial capacity but have precisely the same industrial capacity as before the war (they nuked themselves before the rebellion), they have no way to build ships; they're living in hovels.

Saying "well but they do because yea huh" doesn't cut it.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    The Krogan nuclear war happened before the Salarians showed up and "uplifted" them. At that point, the Krogan were basically fighting endless tribal wars in a post-nuclear wasteland, so they had probalby had some level of technology, just not anything advanced like space-faring ships.

The Salarians literally gave the Krogan advanced technology (and perhaps a bit more in terms of genetic manipulation/evolution), to help them fight the Rachni.

As we all know, that worked perfectly, and the Krogan helped to destroy the Rachni threat.

It's at that point that you are left with Krogan on dozens of worlds, breeding thousands at a time, with a massive military fleet at their disposal.

The problem was two-fold: 1) the Krogan breed like crazy, and would have an insatiable need for life-supporting worlds even if they weren't a warlike race, 2) the Krogan are crazy warlike.

The short-term solution was to fight the Krogan to a standstill - accomplished with the rise of the Turians. The long-term solution was to destroy their breeding capacity - accomplished with the Genophage.

• Options
    The Krogan nuclear war happened before the Salarians showed up and "uplifted" them. At that point, the Krogan were basically fighting endless tribal wars in a post-nuclear wasteland, so they had probalby had some level of technology, just not anything advanced like space-faring ships.

The Salarians literally gave the Krogan advanced technology (and perhaps a bit more in terms of genetic manipulation/evolution), to help them fight the Rachni.

As we all know, that worked perfectly, and the Krogan helped to destroy the Rachni threat.

It's at that point that you are left with Krogan on dozens of worlds, breeding thousands at a time, with a massive military fleet at their disposal.

The problem was two-fold: 1) the Krogan breed like crazy, and would have an insatiable need for life-supporting worlds even if they weren't a warlike race, 2) the Krogan are crazy warlike.

The short-term solution was to fight the Krogan to a standstill - accomplished with the rise of the Turians. The long-term solution was to destroy their breeding capacity - accomplished with the Genophage.

Yeah. The krogan didn't need their own fleet production once they had enough to make a start. They could grab anyone else's. Get krogan on a planet, their reproductive advantage and natural toughness made them a pain in the ass to get off, then they enslave the populace, have them build a fleet. Or, you know. Just bust in and steal any ships in the neighborhood. Asari and salarians, not so good at the stand up fights.

Little like an Ork horde, come to think.

• Options
    AgusalimAgusalim Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Yeah. The krogan didn't need their own fleet production once they had enough to make a start. They could grab anyone else's. Get krogan on a planet, their reproductive advantage and natural toughness made them a pain in the ass to get off, then they enslave the populace, have them build a fleet. Or, you know. Just bust in and steal any ships in the neighborhood. Asari and salarians, not so good at the stand up fights.

explains why wrex painted his armour red

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    left unexplained (iirc) is why quarantine on tuchanka wouldn't have been a solution preferable to the genophage though

Presumably, leaving them on their own world to butcher themselves endlessly would have been a humanitarian crisis. If they don't have the numbers, maybe they'll stop doing that?

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Then where are the ships? Don't you get it? If what you say is right then the Krogan must have ships. Krogan don't have ships ergo what you're saying is wrong.

The fact that were told that the Krogan had a galaxy threatening rebellion which could only be cured with the genophage is one of the things which makes no sense and one of the reasons it doesn't make sense is because the Krogan have no ships and they should have ships. They have no spaceports they have no industrial capacity but have precisely the same industrial capacity as before the war (they nuked themselves before the rebellion), they have no way to build ships; they're living in hovels.

Saying "well but they do because yea huh" doesn't cut it.
    I'll go out on a limb here and assume they don't have ships because they lost the war. I think you've got the chronology kind of screwed up there. Krogans had nothing. Then they were uplifted and given the means to fight rachni. Then they waged interstellar war and lost. Now they have nothing again.

It seems to me that we're just talking past each other so this is where I get off.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    DELETE: I probably should have read the next page before I started spouting off about Quarian Cerberus.
    Agusalim wrote: »

explains why wrex painted his armour red

He is fairly swift, for a large fellow.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Whenever I think about Wrex's "You ever see a krogan scientist?" line I just try to imagine what the krogan Manhattan Project(s) must have been like.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Whenever I think about Wrex's "You ever see a krogan scientist?" line I just try to imagine what the krogan Manhattan Project(s) must have been like.
    65402-dear-god-its-beautiful-mugatu-Zmxe_zps64168cd7.gif

I'm picturing gigantic explosions and raucous laughter.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Ha HA! They're dead!

Fineus Urdnot, renowned Krogan scientist, during his famous experiments on Massive Explosive Ordinance.

Bobble on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    65402-dear-god-its-beautiful-mugatu-Zmxe_zps64168cd7.gif

I'm picturing gigantic explosions and raucous laughter.

Wasn't there that one planet that essentially split itself into like 6 "moons" because of experimentation with krogan biotics or something? I vaguely recall coming across it in Me3 I think.

Ahhh her we go!

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Rothla

DescriptionEdit
    Once Rothla was a large ice dwarf with the statistics listed below. In the waning years of the Krogan Rebellions it was shattered into field of debris by what is assumed to have been the test of an exotic weapons system. In the wake of "the event," the planetoid was reduced to a relatively contained field of thousand of tiny moonlets rotating around one another, colliding and ricocheting.

The method used to destroy the planetoid has never been deduced. The krogan clan who performed the experiment apparently all died in the event. Ships that have traveled to the edge of the event's light cone observed a moment of extreme gravitational lensing around Rothla immediately before its break up, but no other clues.

A popular extranet meme put forward by the asari author Delsae Orthysa insists that the turians are covering up the existence of a krogan "super biotic" breed that was genetically engineered within Rothla. The CDEM enforces quarantine around the Rothla Field, citing cases of amateur investigators whose ships came to grief in the debris field.

• Options

Ork Hordes work because when Orks believe in something it works. Krogan's do not have a gestalt psychic ability that makes their spaceships fly or that makes red painted explosives stronger. A land war on an Asari/Salarian world would see the spaceships leave and then be inaccessible to the Krogan. The Krogan must run out of spaceship at some point(soon indeed) unless they know how to manufacture them. If they do know that then why the fuck don't they have spaceships?

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    The Krogan must run out of spaceship at some point(soon indeed) unless they know how to manufacture them. If they do know that then why the fuck don't they have spaceships?

One of the points ME3 makes during the Tuchanka arc is how the genophage affected the Krogan psychologically; how they became even more warlike and nihilistic as a result of the mistaken belief that the genophage was causing their race to die out. I don't think it's a stretch to reason that they don't presently have any ships because very few Krogans now devote any energy to things like manufacturing. This was not the case prior to the Krogan Rebellions.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    The Krogan must run out of spaceship at some point(soon indeed) unless they know how to manufacture them. If they do know that then why the fuck don't they have spaceships?

One of the points ME3 makes during the Tuchanka arc is how the genophage affected the Krogan psychologically; how they became even more warlike and nihilistic as a result of the mistaken belief that the genophage was causing their race to die out. I don't think it's a stretch to reason that they don't presently have any ships because very few Krogans now devote any energy to things like manufacturing. This was not the case prior to the Krogan Rebellions.

Post-Red ending, the Krogan population is kept in check by Shepard. Each Krogan child is visited by Shepard on Christmas Eve, and if they've been worthy they get the gift of living another year.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
This discussion has been closed.