As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[5e] [Live Play] [One Shot...ish] Drafted in Midland

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    The only class that doesn't really have much in the way of articulation points in the Basic Rules is the Rogue. Even Fighters get a few combat options.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Yeah, trying to figure out exactly what kind of Fighter my guy is going to be.

Cleric only has one domain option in the Basic Set, unless there are more options hidden further in the document I haven't seen yet.

• Options
    oxybeoxybe Entei is appaled and disappointed in you Registered User regular
    This is strangely aligned with some of my tastes, so I will keep a hawk-like eye on this thread.

Out of curiosity, is there any way for people to sit in and watch the thing in progress? I've never really had the guts to try google+ hangouts before so I don't know what it can exactly do.

you can read my collected ravings at oxybesothertumbr.tumblr.com
    -Weather Badge
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I have my Cleric pretty much built but you're welcome to roll one too Zombie :) Sorry I didn't say something earlier in the thread.

No, its ok. I was just trying to find something that was good for the party. So far i think we have:
    Rogue -TRV
    Wizard - Oaks
    Fighter - Kaplar
    Cleric - DeamonIzual
    Fighter -DarkPrimus

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    oxybe wrote: »
    This is strangely aligned with some of my tastes, so I will keep a hawk-like eye on this thread.

Out of curiosity, is there any way for people to sit in and watch the thing in progress? I've never really had the guts to try google+ hangouts before so I don't know what it can exactly do.

The hangouts are basically a virtual meeting space so we can all see and chat with each other and use the Roll20 app in a share space rather than trying to manage a separate browser window and chat window.

Mumble is used instead of the Google+ chat because Mumble has better settings for what is/isn't transmitted by the microphone and has recording capability.

• Options
    Anybody who wants to come watch will be welcome to do so. I'll post the Hangout and Mumble info Sunday night.

• Options
    oxybeoxybe Entei is appaled and disappointed in you Registered User regular
    Neat. I've never really done virtual meet ups before so it's a bit alien to me. I understand the concept, just never really used it.

Hm... Mumble seems like an alternative to Skype or Vent so I might have to check it out! I know when I used to raid years ago on WoW or played FPSs Ventrilo was the software of choice, but we've moved onto Skype as of late when I re-picked up WoW (temporarily, once I was done with my LFR stuff it was becoming too much of a hassle) or playing League of Legends with buddies that aren't on our LAN. I'll check Mumble out sometimes.

you can read my collected ravings at oxybesothertumbr.tumblr.com
    -Weather Badge
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Anybody who wants to come watch will be welcome to do so. I'll post the Hangout and Mumble info Sunday night.

...Aren't we using our usual infos?

• Options
    oxybe wrote: »
    Hm... Mumble seems like an alternative to Skype or Vent so I might have to check it out! I know when I used to raid years ago on WoW or played FPSs Ventrilo was the software of choice, but we've moved onto Skype as of late when I re-picked up WoW (temporarily, once I was done with my LFR stuff it was becoming too much of a hassle) or playing League of Legends with buddies that aren't on our LAN. I'll check Mumble out sometimes.
    There's nothing really wrong with any of them, though I dislike Skype because it tries to avoid closing when you want it to. Mumble lets us record each participant's audio channel separately, which makes editing for the podcast easier.
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    ...Aren't we using our usual infos?
    Yup!

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Yeah if you listen to our podcast you will notice a sharp uptick in quality from the prequel episodes to the regular episodes. Recording a google hangout and converting the video to just audio and editing the one combined file was much leas optimal than mumble. Each person involved having their own audio channel makes it SO MUCH EASIER to adjust things on an individual level that it is like night and day.

• Options
    It seems like fighter is the only class that has several options, while the others they seem to have only included one.

Steam
  • Options
    It seems like fighter is the only class that has several options, while the others they seem to have only included one.

I am curious as to how many different options each class will have in the Player's Handbook. It's really a shame they didn't include at least two dominions for clerics, just for people to get an idea of how they don't have to all be the same.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Technically they all have just the one option, but clerics and Wizards can pick from a selection of spells, and a ranged fighter v a close fighter is going to play differently.

The final d&d next playtest packet might still be floating around if you'd rather poke at one of those classes (or class options).

jdarksun on
  • Options
    Technically they all have just the one option, but clerics and Wizards can pick from a selection of spells, and a ranged fighter v a close fighter is going to play differently.

The final d&d next playtest packet might still be floating around if you'd rather poke at one of those classes (or class options).

Probably going with a javelin dwarf

Steam
  • Options
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Geth, roll 5d4x10 for fighter moneys

Edit: Worth a shot to try multiplication. Looks like that is 140 gold, but im not sure if those were actually d4's being rolled

fighter moneys:
    5d4x10 2 [5d4x10=3, 4, 2, 1, 4]

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
  • Options
    Do subrace ability bonuses replace the overall race ability bonus or is it in addition to it?

Steam
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Do subrace ability bonuses replace the overall race ability bonus or is it in addition to it?

In addition methinks.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Geth, roll 1d100 for trinket

Edit: A bronze rat head. Fancy

trinket:
    1d100 80 [1d100=80]

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
  • Options
    Wait trinket? What page was that?

• Options

• Options
    From the OP:
    A Background is encouraged. This is kind of meant as a play test, so let's play with the rules provided. Don't forget your Trinket!
    DnD Basic Rules pdf page 54.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Geth roll 5d4*10 for money multiple example

money multiple example:
    5d4*10 90 [5d4=2, 1, 2, 1, 3]

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Minion roll 5d4*10 for starting money

starting money:
    5d4*10 150 [5d4=3, 1, 3, 4, 4]

• Options
    Geth, roll 4d4*10 for how many dollhairs do I have

how many dollhairs do I have:
    4d4*10 110 [4d4=1, 4, 2, 4]

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Minion roll 1d100 for trinket of no real import i assure you

EDIT: "A glass orb filled with water, in which swims a clockwork goldfish."

Man, what? I don't even

The hell did I get that from

The hell am I holding onto it for

trinket of:
    1d100 48 [1d100=48]

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Some dude left it as a tip, and try as you might, you can't seem to get rid of it.

• Options
    PACherrnPACherrn Registered User regular
    @jdarksun oh god this sounds so much like Berserk :O Godhand, Doldrey, Kushan Empire, demonic troops. Must go re-read it all! I would've loved to join in, but I am on euro timezones :( That said, I hope you guys have fun! And is there any way to catch up on how the session went?

• Options
    edited July 2014
    @PACherrn That's because, as @Egos‌ pointed out, I stole the setting straight from Berserk. Basically just after the Retribution/Conviction Saga, when the Kushan forces first start sieging in earnest. We'll be recording both audio and video, both of which will be made available in this thread and the audio via our That DnD Podcast podcast.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    I was so excited that I didn't see Egos' post :( I absolutely love Berserk. It might've been my original brush with grim-dark hopeless low-fantasy :D If you decide to make a pbp out of this setting one day, then I would love to join!

• Options
    Some dude left it as a tip, and try as you might, you can't seem to get rid of it.

Somebody left it as a tip for my grandfather. It was one of the few items that survived when the pub burned down twenty years ago.

• Options
    PACherrn wrote: »
    I was so excited that I didn't see Egos' post :( I absolutely love Berserk. It might've been my original brush with grim-dark hopeless low-fantasy :D If you decide to make a pbp out of this setting one day, then I would love to join!
    I'm gonna be of limited availability for a few months, but maybe once things calm down!
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Somebody left it as a tip for my grandfather. It was one of the few items that survived when the pub burned down twenty years ago.
    Damn thing just keep swimming.

• Options
    I shall keep my fingers crossed! :D

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Minion roll 5d4*10

5d4*10 110 [5d4=2, 1, 1, 4, 3]

• Options
    Minion roll 1d100

1d100 42 [1d100=42]

• Options
    Keep in mind that if you roll for cash, you don't get the starting equipment and have to buy all your gear.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Man, I would totally give this a shot, Berserk <3

If you need a sub or anything let me know dude.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Will do, Infy! It was originally intended to be a limited thing, we'll see if it gets out of hand. :)

• Options
    Keep in mind that if you roll for cash, you don't get the starting equipment and have to buy all your gear.

Ah, nevermind my roll for cash, then. I'll have my weapons and armor provided by the count!

• Options
    Yeah. Trash that roll