As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Airbender/Korra] This Decade-Old Thread is Closed

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Let's be honest, the "can't lightning bend because you're out of balance" is a bit silly, seeing as Azula did just that at the end, when she was completely off her rocker.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, but she was totally crazy, all the way through. No mixed feelings about it.

Perfect lightning fuel.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Yeah, but she was totally crazy, all the way through. No mixed feelings about it.

Perfect lightning fuel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LESwkh6vjBI

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Let's be honest, the "can't lightning bend because you're out of balance" is a bit silly, seeing as Azula did just that at the end, when she was completely off her rocker.

Azula didn't have a lot of internal conflict though, she knew who she was and what she wanted, Zuko couldn't have been more conflicted

plus like anything it seems like lightning bending gets easier the more you practice at it, and Azula had that shit down when she was a kid. I mean it's hard to say Azula was anything but collected and confident until her friends betrayed her, and she had mastered lightning ages before that

override367 on
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Cokomon wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I just found out that the voice actress for Korea dated the voice actor of Soka for like 6 years.

So not only is the ruler of Korea an omnipotent God-king, the nation itself is sentient? Wow, crazy place.

He's not dating the country. He's dating the country's national representative voice actress.

In fairness, he did once date the entire moon.

And it was rough buddy.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Azula never seeemd

Azula didn't have a lot of internal conflict though, she knew who she was and what she wanted, Zuko couldn't have been more conflicted

plus like anything it seems like lightning bending gets easier the more you practice at it, and Azula had that shit down when she was a kid. I mean it's hard to say Azula was anything but collected and confident until her friends betrayed her, and she had mastered lightning ages before that

Lightning bending doesn't seem to require "balance", as much as it requires a degree of certainty or drive towards knowing what you're doing. What with the lethality of lightning bending, it probably requires a certain resolve about killing the target. Or in the more common use in LoK, just shooting it at capacitors, which probably doesn't require so much resolve. Practice likely makes it easier too.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    You know, I wonder when the first time Iroh ever had to use his redirection technique was. The first time on the show was with Azula, but maybe there was another time before that.

• Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Azula had TONNES of internal conflict. The stuff with her mother? Eesh.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    You know, I wonder when the first time Iroh ever had to use his redirection technique was. The first time on the show was with Azula, but maybe there was another time before that.

Makes you wonder how his meeting with the Sun Warriors went. He did show up with the intention of making sure dragons went extinct. Can't help but imagine one or two of them could fire off lightning. Man, I would love a series that focused in Iroh's life. It would have everything. Romance, tragedy, adventure an an awesomely lovable main character.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular

Are you kidding me? Azula was totally losing it towards the end. Paranoia alone would account for enough personal conflict to prevent her from ligthening bending.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Gnizmo wrote: »

Makes you wonder how his meeting with the Sun Warriors went. He did show up with the intention of making sure dragons went extinct. Can't help but imagine one or two of them could fire off lightning. Man, I would love a series that focused in Iroh's life. It would have everything. Romance, tragedy, adventure an an awesomely lovable main character.

Shit yes. Avatar: Tales of Iroh.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Are you kidding me? Azula was totally losing it towards the end. Paranoia alone would account for enough personal conflict to prevent her from ligthening bending.

Ehh, it made for an exciting final battle so let's give consistency a pass on this one.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    There's probably a good way and an evil way to achieve lightning bending.

And Iroh didn't want to teach Zuko the evil way for extremely obvious reasons.

Alternatively, peace of mind is only necessary to learn how to separate yin and yang. But once you have the latter part down, it's no longer necessary.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Being a sociopath has its benefits.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I rather like the notion that all these advanced forms of bending just become mundane that anybody can do once the secret's out.

"Bending lightning required the utmost concentration, and most balanced soul."
    "Yeah maybe for you gramps. I lightning bent my cell phone when it ran out of power."

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I rather like the notion that all these advanced forms of bending just become mundane that anybody can do once the secret's out.

"Bending lightning required the utmost concentration, and most balanced soul."
    "Yeah maybe for you gramps. I lightning bent my cell phone when it ran out of power."

"I had to sacrifice my lover to in order to let go of my earthly tether and achieve the power of flight."
    "Why didn't you just dump her, gramps? I did that with my girlfriend and flew to work today. Talk about her being an earthly tether, man!"

Yogo on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular

First time in the show was in Book 1 during "The Storm." Lightning almost strikes their ship and Iroh jumps in and redirects it

• Options
    edited August 2014

but by then shooting lightning was as trivial to her as putting on your shoes

her bending certainly was erratic which is how her brother was beating her. That said, I think you can say that she was so adept at it by that point in her life that regular emotional requirements were moot without saying that her being able to shoot lightning was a plot hole

override367 on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I don't think Azula had any internal conflict.

I mean she was totally crazy.

But she knew everyone was out to betray and dethrone her. Zero uncertainty.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    There's a bit in a book (probably a Pratchett book, knowing my reading habits) that talks about someone passing right through the rapids of insanity, and swimming around in the calm waters on the other side.

I kind of see that as applying to Azula there.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    There's a bit in a book (probably a Pratchett book, knowing my reading habits) that talks about someone passing right through the rapids of insanity, and swimming around in the calm waters on the other side.

Definitely Pratchett.

Can't remember which one, but I remember it too.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Quid wrote: »
    I don't think Azula had any internal conflict.

I mean she was totally crazy.

But she knew everyone was out to betray and dethrone her. Zero uncertainty.

yeah even when she's full tilt lost it, when she's fighting Zuko and goes to shoot her lightning bolt

she seems pretty certain about what she's doing, she wants to kill Katara, or Zuko, or whoever, she's absolutely not conflicted at all about murdering the fuck out of anyone who feels like getting in front of her

override367 on
  • Options
    WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    Or maybe it is like from the Harry Potter universe, i.e. "The Killing Curse" where you have to be certain of what you are doing, surety of purpose so to speak. Ofcourse Azula showed you could lie to Toph because she was a sociopath, so that could have had something to do with it.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Of course Azula showed you could lie to Toph because she was a sociopath

Ha, I forgot about that. How did her lie go?
    Toph: "I can tell if you're lying."
    Azula: "I'm a giant purple platypus bear with wings."
    Toph: "... oh."

EDIT: I tried looking up the scene on youtube and only found dozens and dozens of shipping music videos.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Of course Azula showed you could lie to Toph because she was a sociopath

Ha, I forgot about that. How did her lie go?
    Toph: "I can tell if you're lying."
    Azula: "I'm a giant purple platypus bear with wings."
    Toph: "... oh."

EDIT: I tried looking up the scene on youtube and only found dozens and dozens of shipping music videos.

Toph: "And stick to the truth. I can tell if you're lying."
    Azula: "Are you sure? I'm a pretty good liar. <pause> I am a 400-foot-tall purple platypus-bear with pink horns and silver wings."
    Toph: "...okay you're good I admit it."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    We are dumb.
    Korra is in a wheelchair? Korra is a metalbender.

• Options
    I already called exoskeleton.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

That's the Bursar, yeah.

Azula's closer to Mr Teatime.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying she shouldn't have bent lightening, and yes, it did make for a great fight. Even a lot of great reasons were listed as to why it could make sense: Peace of mind just being part of the learning process, her lightening-bending ability already being ensured by "muscle-reflexes", the fact that she had one clear goal in mind

I'm just saying that she definitely was not at peace in her mind.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I was watching the first episode of season 3 and I noted a couple of things.

First is Tenzin's speech to Korra about bringing balance to the world and not in the present. I wonder if this will have an impact on Korra's wheelchairness if it turns out to be permanent or something similar. That she brought balance to the world, but at the cost of her own well being.

I doubt they will go down that route, but it does make things more interesting since Korra (and I suppose other Avatars) haven't been faced with the choice of letting their Avatar status go in order to create a more balanced world.

Also, when Zaheer escapes his prison cell, he says that the guards should ration the bowl of rice since it takes 3 weeks before the next shift arrives.

Uhm... he just locked up at least 3 benders (1 earth, 1(2?) fire). With Mako almost cutting through a metal bar in Ba Sing Se in 30-60 mins, I doubt those guards would be stuck that long in the prison :p

Yogo on
  • Options
    Yogo wrote: »
    I was watching the first episode of season 3 and I noted a couple of things.

First is Tenzin's speech to Korra about bringing balance to the world and not in the present. I wonder if this will have an impact on Korra's wheelchairness if it turns out to be permanent or something similar. That she brought balance to the world, but at the cost of her own well being.

I doubt they will go down that route, but it does make things more interesting since Korra (and I suppose other Avatars) haven't been faced with the choice of letting their Avatar status go in order to create a more balanced world.

Also, when Zaheer escapes his prison cell, he says that the guards should ration the bowl of rice since it takes 3 weeks before the next shift arrives.

Uhm... he just locked up at least 3 benders (1 earth, 1(2?) fire). With Mako almost cutting through a metal bar in Ba Sing Se in 30-60 mins, I doubt those guards would be stuck that long in the prison :p

You're forget they they were also surrounded by air.

How are they going to break out of the air prison?

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure that one of the White Lotus guards was a metal bender so he could probably metal bend some hooks that they can use to climb down. Also, there has to be other people on the other side of the prison to operate the bridge.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure that one of the White Lotus guards was a metal bender so he could probably metal bend some hooks that they can use to climb down. Also, there has to be other people on the other side of the prison to operate the bridge.

Or the earthbender could just make some stairs. Or do the whole rock elevator thing.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    It wasn't an air prison? It was just a regular, isolated prison. Earth bender dude could get them out no problem.

• Options
    No, shut up, though. They're surrounded by air on all sides, they can't get through that.
    I already called exoskeleton.

No, sick wheelies and 1080°s, man.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    If Korra doesn't wind up in the Avatar Universe equivalent of the robot loader thing from Aliens, I will be disappointed.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    "I'M THE JUGGERNAUT, BITCH. YOU GOTTA DEAL WITH IT."

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Seriously, you don't introduce the fact that Varrick just invented the Iron Man suit, and do nothing with that fact. That is a serious cock tease right there.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Seriously, you don't introduce the fact that Varrick just invented the Iron Man suit, and do nothing with that fact. That is a serious cock tease right there.

I'll be both amused and gratified if Korra ends with Varrick being the entire show's Big Bad. Bonus points if they don't change anything about him. He's just that dangerous because...

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Considering the previous villains, I'm guessing that the season 4 villain will be someone who gains the ability to bend multiple elements.