As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls] 3: "Everything is designed to kill you."

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Man, I just can't seem to find the bosses in the new DLC. I have found the Throne, which did nothing, and I'm running around finding all sorts of loot, but I have no idea where the bosses, other than the one in Iron Passage which I'm leaving for later because it's annoying me to death, are.
    One of the bosses is at the throne, but you need an item you get later

The other is...well...just keep on going down
    There's more down than the Iron Passage? Through the god damned Smelter, then, I presume. Bah. I hate that boss. But if everything else is stuck behind it, I guess I'll have to keep going.

How many pieces of the queen's soul are there, by the way? I have six already.

EDIT: Oh, I see now. Missed that platform. Well, here we go. Thanks for the tip.

EDIT EDIT:
    Wait, what? I don't have enough Wedges by one? That's just evil. And I bet that if I don't destroy all of them this boss, whatever it is, will be extra hard.
    Luckily one wedge more or less makes miniscule difference if you've figured out what the ashen idols do and adjust your strategy accordingly.

There's 12 soul pieces by the way.

Further hint:
    There's a stash of 4 more wedges...somewhere, I actually forget where, but it's definitely accessible without any further progress/items.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Man, I just can't seem to find the bosses in the new DLC. I have found the Throne, which did nothing, and I'm running around finding all sorts of loot, but I have no idea where the bosses, other than the one in Iron Passage which I'm leaving for later because it's annoying me to death, are.

There's more down than the Iron Passage? Through the god damned Smelter, then, I presume. Bah. I hate that boss. But if everything else is stuck behind it, I guess I'll have to keep going.

EDIT: Oh, I see now. Missed that platform. Well, here we go. Thanks for the tip.

EDIT EDIT:
    Wait, what? I don't have enough Wedges by one? That's just evil. And I bet that if I don't destroy all of them this boss, whatever it is, will be extra hard.
    Luckily one wedge more or less makes miniscule difference if you've figured out what the ashen idols do and adjust your strategy accordingly.

Further hint:
    There's a stash of 4 more wedges...somewhere, I actually forget where, but it's definitely accessible without any further progress/items.
    No, I already had the 4 extras too. I have 10 pieces of the soul, for ten wedges, and one more left in there. I haven't been able to find any more. Still, since the other three around it healed monsters with something like Warmth, I'm supposing this will mean that whatever is in there will be constantly healed a little bit. So when I get back home and can try it I suppose I'll just get ready to pour damage.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular

EDIT EDIT:

Further hint:
    No, I already had the 4 extras too. I have 10 pieces of the soul, for ten wedges, and one more left in there. I haven't been able to find any more. Still, since the other three around it healed monsters with something like Warmth, I'm supposing this will mean that whatever is in there will be constantly healed a little bit. So when I get back home and can try it I suppose I'll just get ready to pour damage.
    After the Sir Alonne fight in the memory (accessable after beating the Fume Knight) there should be 1 more on a throne just past the boss fight room. So unless you save one before going down to the Fume Knight's area, you have to have to do that fight with 1 active.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    BYToady wrote: »

EDIT EDIT:

Further hint:
    After the Sir Alonne fight in the memory (accessable after beating the Fume Knight) there should be 1 more on a throne just past the boss fight room. So unless you save one before going down to the Fume Knight's area, you have to have to do that fight with 1 active.
    The radius isn't THAT big. 2 are somewhat problematic but 1 shouldn't be much of a difference as long as you keep him away from it

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    DLC compleeete
    Overall I had more fun with Fume Knight than Alonne. Alonne has kind of twitchy timing and didn't feel as natural/fun as Fume did for dodge killing. He's probably better with a shield, I just didn't have as much fun dodge killing him. But still a cool fight in a rad location.

His sword is cool looking but the durability is garbage like all katana and that means it's completely useless on PC for non-pvp.

The big soul you get from all destroying all 12 evil statue things is either a ultra-slow chime or a copy of the firestorm pyromancy except black, apparently. I don't use either.

Fume knight's ultra greatsword might be kind of fun to play around with, although the moveset seems inferior to other ultra greatswords.

I dunno, overall while I had my fun with this DLC and absolutely think it's good, it is noticeably shorter and generally inferior to the first DLC. The two bosses are good I will admit, though.

• Options
    DLC compleeete
    Overall I had more fun with Fume Knight than Alonne. Alonne has kind of twitchy timing and didn't feel as natural/fun as Fume did for dodge killing. He's probably better with a shield, I just didn't have as much fun dodge killing him. But still a cool fight in a rad location.

His sword is cool looking but the durability is garbage like all katana and that means it's completely useless on PC for non-pvp.

The big soul you get from all destroying all 12 evil statue things is either a ultra-slow chime or a copy of the firestorm pyromancy except black, apparently. I don't use either.

Fume knight's ultra greatsword might be kind of fun to play around with, although the moveset seems inferior to other ultra greatswords.

I dunno, overall while I had my fun with this DLC and absolutely think it's good, it is noticeably shorter and generally inferior to the first DLC. The two bosses are good I will admit, though.

2? There's 3 bosses.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Well, took that boss out, got the crown. And getting another boss soul makes me wonder if any of the weapons around the DLC/DLC boss souls are worth anything for my current 40/40 Str/Dex quality build - the Sun Sword and mace combo has mostly beaten me the game, with the occassional appearance of the Curved Dragon Greatsword for some boses (such as this very last one), but I kinda want a little variety.

Hmmmm. The Fume weapons are a bit unfortunate. The small sword is Dark, which means my build probably will deal crap damage with it, and the other scales well with my stats but is an Ultra Greatsword, and I generally can't into Ultra Greatswords.

Drascin on
  • Options
    DLC compleeete

2? There's 3 bosses.

Are there, though?

• Options
    DLC compleeete

2? There's 3 bosses.

Are there, though?

I wasn't entirely sure if you were just sarcastic, I wanted to make sure you didn't miss anything

And yes, I agree with you ;)

steam_sig.png

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    DLC compleeete
    I actually felt the other way around; Fume Knight repeatedly and utterly wrecked me, but while the Alonne Knight had some slightly twitchy timing it was massively easier. For the most part it didn't take me very long to get into the proper rhythm, and Alonne doesn't have nearly the defense Fume does, and since he has very, short combos when he combos at all, stamina management isn't much of an issue. Fume Knight's four strike combos are absurd.

The worst part of fighting Alonne was getting through the memory to him.

Fume Knight was one of the most difficult bosses in either this game or DS1 for me. I haven't actually beaten him properly.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Well, took that boss out, got the crown. And getting another boss soul makes me wonder if any of the weapons around the DLC/DLC boss souls are worth anything for my current 40/40 Str/Dex quality build - the Sun Sword and mace combo has mostly beaten me the game, with the occassional appearance of the Curved Dragon Greatsword for some boses (such as this very last one), but I kinda want a little variety.

Hmmmm. The Fume weapons are a bit unfortunate. The small sword is Dark, which means my build probably will deal crap damage with it, and the other scales well with my stats but is an Ultra Greatsword, and I generally can't into Ultra Greatswords.

the fume straight sword is apparently the best straight sword in the game

scales A or S (i think A) with dex at full upgrade, has really high base damage, same moveset as the sun sword but as long as the drakekeeper sword and with 25 poise damage instead of 20

• Options
    edited August 2014
    the one-handed moveset of the fume sword (and apparently the sun sword) is actually the balder moveset i was looking for, as it happens

not sure if i'm into the two-handed moveset though

Elendil on
  • Options
    Damn

I picked the greatsword

• Options
    The sun sword was the closest thing to the balder side sword in the base game, but not as good because it has range issues.

• Options
    just fyi: there's a very well hidden chest in the new DLC with eight petrified dragonbones
    after the foyer bonfire, towards where you go to get the shaft thing, there's the room with all the barrel guys and the barred doorways. there's two breakable walls in the spiked hallways, one with the dragonbones and one with half the catarina set because of course there's only half of it

and the fume sword actually gets all the way up to A scaling in dex at +5? i thought it had a C in strength, dex, and dark, which i figured might go up to maybe a B. a significant chunk of the available scaling being in strength made me wonder if my dex/hex was really going to be able to use it all that well. i'll have to check it out.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I was pretty bummed that the Fume Greatsword doesn't have a nifty R2 special (or some such); it's cool to use such a giant sword, I suppose, but seems rude of the Fume Knight to keep the secret of his fire-breathing sword to himself.

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    just fyi: there's a very well hidden chest in the new DLC with eight petrified dragonbones
    after the foyer bonfire, towards where you go to get the shaft thing, there's the room with all the barrel guys and the barred doorways. there's two breakable walls in the spiked hallways, one with the dragonbones and one with half the catarina set because of course there's only half of it

and the fume sword actually gets all the way up to A scaling in dex at +5? i thought it had a C in strength, dex, and dark, which i figured might go up to maybe a B. a significant chunk of the available scaling being in strength made me wonder if my dex/hex was really going to be able to use it all that well. i'll have to check it out.

I'm one dragonbone short of fully upgrading it; but at +4 and dark infused it still only has a C-scaling in Dark. Hell, even if it goes up to B at +5 the difference isn't much as a letter can cover a somewhat broad spectrum of scaling values.

The moveset is pretty good; I don't like the One Hand R2 however, which is a slash and not a thrust. The only one handed thrusts it has is after rolling or sprinting.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Well damn it. I got the Greatsword to try it. Ah well.

And it was disappointing to boot. Since it had numbers so high, I thought I could take it for a spin without improvements and actually do something. The Fume Ultra Greatsword, counting both base and scaling for both weapons, has over 100+ total AR over my mace, after all, and my mace is killing stuff in three hits. However, even with a noticeable chunk of less AR, the mace deals about a third more damage than the Greatsword, in addition to being faster to swing. Strike damage is kind of silly in this game, really.

Drascin on
  • Options
    according to the wiki, the fume sword is S scaling for Dex at +5, and C for dark

i recall the one-handed R2 being a thrust, just like the sun sword

• Options
    according to the wiki, the fume sword is S scaling for Dex at +5, and C for dark

i recall the one-handed R2 being a thrust, just like the sun sword

*facepalm*

Yes, you're right.

I was totally describing the two handed moveset; I pretty much never two handed weapons before, and now that I do it all the time, I'm still thinking I'm one handing.

It's a great weapon though.

steam_sig.png

• Options

Well, the Helmet was in the first DLC, so it'd be kinda weird for them to put it in another chest.

Little sad to think these kings dismembered the Catarina Knight and hid his remains.

• Options

you beautiful creature

• Options
    huh i was completely wrong in the fume sword's scaling stats

what the hell was i looking at last night that was a C/C/C?

i have 30 dragonbones on my dex character now; i should probably give the thing a whirl

• Options
    metaghost wrote: »

Well, the Helmet was in the first DLC, so it'd be kinda weird for them to put it in another chest.

Little sad to think these kings dismembered the Catarina Knight and hid his remains.
    oooooh

i only played a little bit of DLC1 and din't know it was in there

dear From: give us more of these stupid hard to farm sets while you're at it god damn

wtb aurous armor

• Options
    Man. all this talk makes the Fume Sword sound great. Stupid me.

I wonder if I can take Fume at NG+ with an Ascetic for the sword. Given it took some doing to kill it the first time as is, probably not, but...

• Options
    I'm tempted to try that as well, but I'm worried how much else of the place it is going to ascetic.

• Options
    oooooh

i only played a little bit of DLC1 and din't know it was in there

dear From: give us more of these stupid hard to farm sets while you're at it god damn

wtb aurous armor

In that regard, DLC2 is actually pretty kind, as the Prowler Invaders readily give up the full Mad Warrior + Berserker Sword, and those clerics in the Iron Passage have a pretty high drop rate for this awesome Black Hollow Mage Hood that apparently was a 1% drop off of Necromancers. I think there's some other stuff of that nature, but that's all I've found.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    tried the fume sword in pvp

nice, fun moveset (poke could be a tad faster but okay)
    buffed with dark weapon it performs admirably

unbuffed? ehhhhh. damage is on the low side. missed my espada's ability to spew damage at an alarming rate. fume sword hits a little too slowly to reliably get second hits. i'm not sure if i'd ascetic raime to get it if i had to. i like it though!

Elendil on
  • Options
    also i ran into a guy in the arena using the ladle

and that, ladies and gentleman, is how i accomplished my very first pvp parry

• Options
    The MattsterThe Mattster Registered User new member
    I got summoned as a Blue Sentinel for the first time last night. Spawned in between the host and the invader on the steps near McDuff's workshop. Defeating and waving that invader away and then giving a quick bow to the host was just about the most satisfying thing I've ever done in a game. Thanks Dark Souls, you da best.

• Options

I wonder if I can take Fume at NG+ with an Ascetic for the sword. Given it took some doing to kill it the first time as is, probably not, but...

What SM memory are you?

I did a TON of cooping the Fume Knight after beating him myself. I can dodge almost every single one of his moves consistently now.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Been replaying Dark Souls 1 with a friend. I'm at a build impass as wondering if you guys could decide for me? Backup weapon for either would be the Greatsword, Iron Tarkus' weapon.

1. Demon Great Machete. Could use a Greatshield.
    2. Murakumo. Could use Greatbows.

Help! D:

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options

What SM memory are you?

I did a TON of cooping the Fume Knight after beating him myself. I can dodge almost every single one of his moves consistently now.

Around 4 million, I think?

• Options

What SM memory are you?

Around 4 million, I think?

Excellent! The SM tier you're in goes from 3,000,000 to 4,999,999 souls, which I'm also im.

Dumb question, but you ARE playing this on steam, right? If so, add me and I'll help you out.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    Been replaying Dark Souls 1 with a friend. I'm at a build impass as wondering if you guys could decide for me? Backup weapon for either would be the Greatsword, Iron Tarkus' weapon.

1. Demon Great Machete. Could use a Greatshield.
    2. Murakumo. Could use Greatbows.

Help! D:
    I would say build 2. The machete is mostly redundant if you're already going to use the greatsword.

• Options
    invaded in shulva

holed up in tower

invader died

<--- pvp pro

• Options
    tried the fume sword in pvp

nice, fun moveset (poke could be a tad faster but okay)
    buffed with dark weapon it performs admirably

unbuffed? ehhhhh. damage is on the low side. missed my espada's ability to spew damage at an alarming rate. fume sword hits a little too slowly to reliably get second hits. i'm not sure if i'd ascetic raime to get it if i had to. i like it though!

the fume sword fully upgraded does substantially more damage than the espada at 40 dex, surely?

espada does like 305, which is already lower than the sun sword and the drakekeeper sword

the espada is pretty quick and low-stamina, i suppose, so you can attack more often, but man piercing damage is terrible in DS2. i also found it irritating to attack bosses' legs with thrusting weapons in general.

• Options
    the fume sword only has a combined AR of 340 with 40 dex and 20/20 int/fai. i guess i could squeeze more damage out of it with the dark scaling, but that's 20 points investment on the much, much smaller half of the damage. the espada attacks faster and can be two-handed without changing the moveset around much.

and i'm thinking thrusting swords are probably almost broken now, following the stone ring buff.

• Options
    drakeblood knights, you cheesy motherfuckers

why you not stagger

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Yeah, those guys and another humanoid enemy type towards the end of the sunken dlc have ridiculous poise.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow