As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[XCOM] Aliens have defeated this thread. Find the resistance movement in the new one

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    everything makes sense now

you can only do one mission out of 2 or 3 because you only have little ship

you can only send one ship to fight other ships because you only have one ship!

you can train soldiers! you can assign managers to rooms! and was that scientist stats I was seeing there!?

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Yes, its funny and sad to me that NOW the only able to have one skyranger/squad/base/etc makes sense in the sequel rather than the original.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Yes, its funny and sad to me that NOW the only able to have one skyranger/squad/base/etc makes sense in the sequel rather than the original.

Eh, it made sense in that it made a good game.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    [citation needed]

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    [citation needed]

LongWar.jpg

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Here's the cliffnotes from reddit:
    12 rooms for base facility building

Excavation requires x # of Engineers to clear a room

Jake: "There are a lot of ways to change that number [the power you have to fuel your base facilities]" (one of them he mentioned was excavations, there is another thing you can do on the geoscape to increase the Avenger's power)

Jake likes the character of Tygan. (Also a bit of trivia: his name is a sort-of portmanteau of Neil DeGrasse Tyson's and Carl Sagan's last names, Solomon's favorite scientists) Perhaps this means he will not in fact betray us, all you conspiracy theorists. Or perhaps it's just to throw people off...

"So Newton stood on the shoulders of giants to advance science, but we will stand on a pile of enemy corpses, that is how we do science." :D

Putting soldiers in the AWC helps them heal faster by default, but also
    The AWC also reveals hidden latent perks on your soldiers from any other class(!!) Jake: "We held the reins pretty tightly in EU, we want to let go of the reins and let players have crazy experiences" (paraphrased/lazily transcribed)

You can customize the appearance of your engineers and scientists

There are updated portraits of your soldiers based on their real appearance

Regarding new Proving Grounds projects: "There's different vests(? listened a few times, not 100% sure that's the word he said) you can get, ammo, grenades"

Jake: "All these numbers are still in the balance phase" - regarding how long it takes to train a rookie into a specific class. So it may not end up being 10 days.

Jake: "You can actually see your recruits before they come in in XCOM 2" - I was starting to get my hopes up, but in the end it sounded like we might not actually be able to prescreen recruits and just not spend the money hiring a soldier who can't hit the broad side of a barn

Regarding choosing between perk upgrades - Jake: "We really tried to push the branches of these classes far apart... sometimes you want a full on battle medic, and sometimes you want to then support them with a combat hacker... We want each branch to be a very cool class, and you just can't put them all on the battlefield on the same time except in rare situations(!)"

Yes, soldier stats are on a different scale, that soldier doesn't actually have a will of 3 out of 100. Aim, health, and mobility work like EU. Hack skill is 0-100. Will is on "a much smaller scale."

"Every armor type, you can pull the sleeves off, to make sure you can see your tattoos on all of your soldiers" (what is this obsession with sleeveless armor? -_-)

"Some of these customization options are only available when they hit veteran ranks... Definitely tattoos and scars we've put behind the veteran [requirement]"

this means I can make all my scientists look like vahlen.
    *rubs hands together*

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Man, they're going all out on the customization. That's damn great.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I'm still interested in seeing if soldiers, engineers, and scientists could change jobs at some point. Like, would a soldier have an engineering score? Likewise, can an engineer shoot some ADVENT if the base is invaded? Could I retire my colonel to the lab to help with practical applications?

• Options
    Thinking vahlen will make SOME kind of appearance even if it's something like Shens daughter

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    She'll be found in a cryo tube after raiding a particularly challenging enemy base. Markings everywhere; WARNING, DANGER, DO NOT RELEASE.

Further exploration will indicate that she proved a powerful ally to the invaders. Too powerful, in fact. As the months and years passed, even the hardened stomachs of the aliens and their sympathizers weakened to the flagrant atrocities she'd commit daily, and that was just before breakfast. Or sometimes for breakfast.

Eventually she had to be put away, too dangerous to keep around, too potentially useful to kill off.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    She will travel the galaxy, eventually becoming known as...DeathWalker.
    latest?cb=20071017020524

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Thinking vahlen will make SOME kind of appearance even if it's something like Shens daughter

*crosses fingers for her to be Queen of the Space Meth trade*

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Omg I can already tell I'm going to be sinking hours into playing pretty princess dress up with my soldiers and scientists(!)

And then getting drunk when I have to pour a stiff drink when my most handsome soldier bites the dust

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »

Jake: "There are a lot of ways to change that number [the power you have to fuel your base facilities]" (one of them he mentioned was excavations, there is another thing you can do on the geoscape to increase the Avenger's power)

Jake likes the character of Tygan. (Also a bit of trivia: his name is a sort-of portmanteau of Neil DeGrasse Tyson's and Carl Sagan's last names, Solomon's favorite scientists) Perhaps this means he will not in fact betray us, all you conspiracy theorists. Or perhaps it's just to throw people off...

"So Newton stood on the shoulders of giants to advance science, but we will stand on a pile of enemy corpses, that is how we do science." :D

The AWC also reveals hidden latent perks on your soldiers from any other class(!!) Jake: "We held the reins pretty tightly in EU, we want to let go of the reins and let players have crazy experiences" (paraphrased/lazily transcribed)

Regarding new Proving Grounds projects: "There's different vests(? listened a few times, not 100% sure that's the word he said) you can get, ammo, grenades"

Jake: "All these numbers are still in the balance phase" - regarding how long it takes to train a rookie into a specific class. So it may not end up being 10 days.

Jake: "You can actually see your recruits before they come in in XCOM 2" - I was starting to get my hopes up, but in the end it sounded like we might not actually be able to prescreen recruits and just not spend the money hiring a soldier who can't hit the broad side of a barn

Regarding choosing between perk upgrades - Jake: "We really tried to push the branches of these classes far apart... sometimes you want a full on battle medic, and sometimes you want to then support them with a combat hacker... We want each branch to be a very cool class, and you just can't put them all on the battlefield on the same time except in rare situations(!)"

Yes, soldier stats are on a different scale, that soldier doesn't actually have a will of 3 out of 100. Aim, health, and mobility work like EU. Hack skill is 0-100. Will is on "a much smaller scale."

"Every armor type, you can pull the sleeves off, to make sure you can see your tattoos on all of your soldiers" (what is this obsession with sleeveless armor? -_-)

"Some of these customization options are only available when they hit veteran ranks... Definitely tattoos and scars we've put behind the veteran [requirement]"

*rubs hands together*

Guaranteed first two mods will be

1) Vahlen clone scientist mod
    2) Kreiger clone engineer/scientist mod

If it's not done I will figure out how to do it

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    evilthecat wrote: »

*rubs hands together*

Guaranteed first two mods will be

1) Vahlen clone scientist mod
    2) Kreiger clone engineer/scientist mod

If it's not done I will figure out how to do it

latest?cb=20140415235217?

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I suspect many of us will have one or more of the following personnel on their Science and Engineering Teams:
    Rick Sanchez
    Samantha Carter
    Harold Finch
    Tony Stark
    Walter White
    Algernop Krieger

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Spock
    Lenard H. Mcoy
    Montgomery Scott
    Dr. Doom
    Stephen Franklin
    Doc Brown

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Kreiger fits the XCOM scientist type so well I wouldn't honestly be surprised if he was the default.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Walter Bishop?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular

weird-science_8col.jpg

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    oh god.
    we need to tell firaxis.

we need "seeding" numbers like mass effect has for customisations.
    hrrrrk november is now too far away :(

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    While customization is neat, I don't really care enough to do it myself.

It'd be cool if soldiers could be shared, so when you recruit soldiers it could be one of your friends' or from a collection off the Workshop you've subscribed to.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Having the game source open is going to be awesome. I can't think of the last game that did that. Doom 3?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Konphujun wrote: »
    Kreiger fits the XCOM scientist type so well I wouldn't honestly be surprised if he was the default.

Yeah. Rick's smarter, but he does not play well with others. Including himself.

I mean, both he and Kreiger would go on some kind of alien drug binge right before work, but at least Kreiger wouldn't send you a video during it telling you to lick his balls, because he quits.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    God damn you guys are describing a Rick and Morty/Archer crossover I didn't know I craved.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Rick would either singlehandedly wipe the floor with the aliens before breakfast, or turn out to be the one who sold them all of their weapons in the first place. Possibly both. I guess it all depends on whether or not he can figure out a way to get high on Elerium.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    2K released this, which is mostly a pure, uninterrupted version of the Gamescom footage IIRC, with Bradford explaining some rad shit, but with a surprise at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ-rTdoiJZU
    Awesome! However until I see a body, I still think RoboShen will make an appearance (my money is on a DLC. Xcom2: Rise of RoboShen)

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Rick would either singlehandedly wipe the floor with the aliens before breakfast, or turn out to be the one who sold them all of their weapons in the first place. Possibly both. I guess it all depends on whether or not he can figure out a way to get high on Elerium.

Probably both.

And of course he could.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    seriously think that doc shen became the ship AI, or at least the core programming of it.

also, im betting that neural spike that taigan ripped out of you was either a kinkbomb a la scanners, or a harbinger control mod and that you were responsible for taking over earth after the aliens got ahold of you

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    The commander got so sick of her yelling about grenading aliens that he threw her out the airlock...

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    X-Com 3: Seriously You Guys Suck At This, Yes Humanity Failed Again.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    Not if the great Marbozir chooses to lead us! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2xrPZ2HxaQ

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    XCOM 2 delayed until February.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/3iqpdj/xcom_2_delayed_now_due_to_release_on_5_feb_2016/
    http://kotaku.com/xcom-2-delayed-to-february-1727227128
    Hello XCOM fans,

We want to give you an update on the release date for XCOM 2. We’ve set a high bar for the sequel and the entire team has been working hard to make sure we deliver a great follow-up to Enemy Unknown. We just need a little more time to make it the best possible game.

With XCOM 2, we want to have more depth, more replayability, and more investment in your soldiers and this extension will give us the time we need to deliver on our promise to you.

We appreciate your patience and continued support as we move towards February. Good luck, Commander!

-The XCOM 2 Dev Team

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    On the one hand, that's disappointing. On the other, holy shit 2015 has had a lot of fantastic games getting released and one of them getting pushed back a bit allows some breathing room.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    fuuu

• Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    This is a dark day indeed...

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Now I don't have to choose between XCOM and Fallout 4 in November.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Noooooooooooh well, it's not like there won't be other games to distract me from it when it comes out.
    Besides all the other games that get delayed because they don't want to fight for the Christmas spot, that is.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Ideally that's another couple months of bug testing!

I wonder if they will have starting bonuses. Maybe based on the country the avenger will start on

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Who is doing the marketing for this game? They've dragged Jake Solomon out 3 times now to talk over the Avenger footage from a month ago.