As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bloodborne: Use WangHunt as MP Password to Hate the Co-Op System

FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
edited April 2015 in Games and Technology
14723401897_6796d1c615_o.png

What is it?
A third-person action-RPG by FromSoftware. Here's the description from its Playstation.com page:
Introducing Bloodborne, the latest Action RPG from renowned Japanese developer FromSoftware, makers of the hit Dark Souls series, coming exclusively to the PlayStation®4 system. Face your fears as you search for answers in the ancient city of Yharnam, now cursed with a strange endemic illness spreading through the streets like wildfire. Danger, death and madness lurk around every corner of this dark and horrific world, and you must discover its darkest secrets in order to survive.

What is it on?
Exclusive to the PS4. It is not a timed/limited exclusive. Most likely, this is Sony making up for the fact that they dropped the ball with Demon's Souls.

When does it come out?
2015. No real hint as to when during the year, but expect it to be later rather than sooner. The game is still in the alpha stage as of E3.

Is this connected to the Souls series?
It seems like the Souls series is in this one's DNA. Demon's Souls director Hidetaka Miyazaki is leading the development here. It looks like a next-gen Souls, but set in a gothic/western-fantasy world, rather than the dark/high-fantasy of the Souls games. Fog gates are apparently in, too. Also, it just looks like a Souls game. See for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WsqQtqwP9E

Plus, that's the voice actress for the Maiden in Black at the end of that trailer.

Clearly these are early days for this one, but I'll be sure to update the OP with any good info that comes along as it appears.

Fawst on

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    This being exclusive is super lame.

All exclusives are super lame but the Soul's style games scratch a really specific itch for me so not being able to play this will be a shame.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    That's why I'm buying a PS4 when this comes out!

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Oh my god, why. Whyyyy must this be a single-console exclusive?

Even if it's exactly a Soul's game with an updated setting, I need it in me.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    No gameplay footage, just talk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWJ9u7knotQ

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Not sure how I feel about the guns and transforming weapons, complete freedom to duel wield whatever weapons I want is one of my favorite things about DS2 and it seems like these systems would limit that. I'm sure there are some weapons that transform into a duel wield mode, but that wouldn't be quite the same.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    From what I've read and seen so far the game looks like Dark Souls, but not quite.

Eh and I'm not quite in to transforming weapons.

So all in all I hope it does well, but I won't be getting it.

Now even hint at a DS3 and I'll preoorder right now. Seriously, I'll buy three copies!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    It's a little early to decide you won't be getting it, especially if you love the Souls series. Unless you have some really huge hang-up about transforming weapons or something.

Anyway the thing that immediately jumps out at me so far is the aesthetic and overall world/art direction. really cool Western-but-Victorian mix or something. I love the Souls games but they've all (understandably) had mainly the same sort of art direction and style.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    It is early true, but everything I've seen so far (which admittedly isn't much) has really been kind of a turn off for me.

No shields, an emphasis on more aggressive combat (as a Dark Souls player I don't even know the meaning of the word 'aggressive'), and yes transforming weapons (ugh).

Still, it is early. Hopefully we get news on multiplayer and maybe get to see some weapon designs that don't look like balls.

And hopefully the city is designed more like Lordran (where all roads lead to Firelink Shrine). Not that Drangleic wasn't fun, but in DS1 I always enjoyed wondering where this elevator, door, lever, what-have-you takes me and holy crap Firelink Shrine?! How do they do it?!

edit- oh yeah and the whole PS4 exclusive thing will prevent me from getting it. Unless it comes out on PC, eh I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Axen on
  • Options
    Even more details from Vaatividya!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_r0YShO4Hs

It'll have PvP and Co-op, but not quite in the form of invasions. It might be similar to Destiny, with players randomly and seamlessly running into eachother.

• Options
    Thanks to the power of the Cloud!

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Controls:
    bloodborne_controls295uo9.jpg

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    I half expected "Swipe touchpad to counter!" :P

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Hmm, the D-pad's up button isn't assigned to anything. No magic? The combat system seems to have a lot less options than usual, which hopefully means more focus and better balance. This is definitely a really interesting direction for a Souls game.

[edit] Or I guess the picture is only relevant to the Gamescom demo, which just happened to have no magic on the demo character.

Deans on
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Seems there was a exposition in a Spanish-speaking country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu1jT-k65u0

A few more clips here: http://gematsu.com/2014/08/bloodborne-screen-gamescom-clips

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Seems there was exposition in a Spasnish-speaking country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu1jT-k65u0

A few more clips here: http://gematsu.com/2014/08/bloodborne-screen-gamescom-clips

Bloodborne has an interesting soundtrack.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    David Guetta and Kelly Rowland are great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zudbz4hOcbc

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Has to be done:

217514671_xcyao-L-2.jpg

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    So these are just demo controls then?

Cause I'd be shocked if the next "souls" type game features only 2 or so weapons and had a single button dedicated to healing

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    "Tertiary Hargir" is a goddamn bandname.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    "Tertiary Hargir" is a goddamn bandname.

Actually I'd lay down money that there's probably an anime character with that name.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    So these are just demo controls then?

Cause I'd be shocked if the next "souls" type game features only 2 or so weapons and had a single button dedicated to healing

Well they've already said there will be more than just those two weapons they've been showing off

and it does have a dedicated healing button so

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Interesting stuff there! I think I heard the enemies call the player a beast, so we're the beast and not the hunter? Also critical hits don't use your weapon, the dude just tears out spinal cords with his bare hands (That's what I'm imagining happens and you can't stop me)

• Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Do we know for sure how much of the game is action and how much is RPG? It's hard to tell with the demo constraints, but is there still character customization and various armors, or is the game focused entirely on weapons?

Emperor_Z on
  • Options
    I've seen different outfits.

• Options
    Emperor_Z wrote: »
    Do we know for sure how much of the game is action and how much is RPG? It's hard to tell with the demo constraints, but is there still character customization and various armors, or is the game focused entirely on weapons?

Just wait for the Game Informer exclusive or something like that.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options

Just wait for the Game Informer exclusive or something like that.

I think it's been confirmed that there's still the usual Souls customization and stats and stuff.

I like how they're even fixing my nitpicks with DS2, performing criticals with your bare hands means no annoying dagger swapping. That's a change I can get behind!

• Options
    That footwork looks great. Smooth criminal in this thriller.

• Options
    edited August 2014

They're focusing on somewhat speedier combat and they want aggressive playstyle to be the norm, otherwise it still seems to be fundamentally a Souls style game. There are stats and character creation (just like Souls) and there will also be armor, though of the leatherish/victorian style as opposed to medieval plate armor and the like.

Axen on
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    is there really no heavy armor at all? No matter what you have essentially an agility/dexterity look?

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    is there really no heavy armor at all? No matter what you have essentially an agility/dexterity look?

I am perfectly fine with this.

Less so with the fact it's PS4 exclusive.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

That's the way it's sounding. Van Helsing all the way down, son!

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    It's mostly from an aesthetic/role playing standpoint that I am opposed to an all leather game. I'm the kind of guy who usually wound up wearing the Havel set by the end of each Souls game. The no shields thing doesn't bother me quite as much, I can see why they made that particular decision.

What would the Stats even be if stuff like Str or Int and presumably Equip weight no longer have any meaning?

I'm definitely still looking forward to the game, and I already have a ps4 so I feel no need to port beg.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Aaaaah this looks so good! The framerate is really nice for an alpha. It appears that you gain small amounts of health for connecting with an attack. Not sure if that's a weapon-specific thing, if it's an ability, or if it's just to extend the demo for the people that still need to "get gud." Dodging appears to be similar to Souls, but the player absolutely just curves around the enemy. Not sure how much I like/dislike that. That ladder sound effect needs to stay! Any sound effects they want to carry over like that are fine by me. The city looks awesome. I wonder if that's the only location we'll see, or if it's just the equivalent of the Burg (large area, visible from many locations). I'm guessing the latter. The NPC joining in that fight looked cool. I also dig that weapons appear to just have a two-hand variant built in. Seems like an interesting twist on one/two-handing a weapon. Bullets appear to be either really weak or really devastating. That single shot to a distant enemy they showed did like no damage, but that shotgun blast to the guy banging on the door clearly set up a riposte-style attack.

Time to start saving towards my PS4!

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Aaaaah this looks so good! The framerate is really nice for an alpha. It appears that you gain small amounts of health for connecting with an attack. Not sure if that's a weapon-specific thing, if it's an ability, or if it's just to extend the demo for the people that still need to "get gud."

Vaati's video about the game described the life-gain function as a component of the counter-system; after you've been struck, while your life bar is depleting, striking your enemy will stop the life-loss and I guess in some instances return some amount. By the sound of it, it's not just a demo mechanic. I feel like it's something seen in a lot of fighting games, if not other action game.

• Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    Have I missed something? Is this 2 player or was that an NPC?

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    Maybe "phantoms" don't glow, or something.

• Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Louie wrote: »
    Have I missed something? Is this 2 player or was that an NPC?
    PLA wrote: »
    Maybe "phantoms" don't glow, or something.

Can't say whether or not that was a player in the demo, but I think it's possible. I remember reading that other players don't get overtly summoned as phantoms, but instead just appear seamlessly, and can be either friends or foes.

Don't know the details of those mechanics though

Emperor_Z on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    It looked like a significantly different model from the player character, basically looking like the random gangly goons that call you a beast, so I figured it was just an NPC of some sort intended to make the world feel more alive.