As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This just in: Old games come to [Steam]!

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Maguano wrote: »
    so FF7 is the one that spawned all the xxxSephirothxxxx names since 97/98, right? so yeah, that's the last one i played. (i don't count the failed mmorpg one). what have i missed since then? (or rather, which to play since then)

9, possibly 10, 12 has interesting mechanics but overall weak characters, which makes the grand story less interesting overall.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    You missed FF8 through FF14. Which comprises of about nine games.

Final Fantasy math is different from ours, you see.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    so FF7 is the one that spawned all the xxxSephirothxxxx names since 97/98, right? so yeah, that's the last one i played. (i don't count the failed mmorpg one). what have i missed since then? (or rather, which to play since then)

9, possibly 10, 12 has interesting mechanics but overall weak characters, which makes the grand story less interesting overall.

12 has fine characters; hell, some of them are fantastic (Balthier). The problem isn't the characters, but the fact that the game kinda forgets they're there towards the end and focuses entirely on world stage events...and then tries to bring it back to the characters at the very end.

For the record I really liked 12, but there was clearly some lack of oversight (or two many hands in the pot) on the scenario design because yeah, they kinda lost it there for awhile.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    You missed some pretty great RPGs.

Final Fantasy 9 is a love letter to the SNES installments and Final Fantasy 12 is probably the one I would reccomend suggesting to oldschool/hardcore players or people who are more into Western RPGs.

Something about the writing and gameplay style in 12, it's less melodramatic than a lot of entries in the series. What it lacks in flashiness, it makes up for in some pretty spectacular and addicting boss fights and progression.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Speaking of Jennifer Hale, I read a Polygon feature about the voice acting for the second Planetary Annihilation game. She's definitely a pro, and totally on point. She walks in, says something like "Can my character be well traveled? Could she have lived in Australia?" And then she knocks her lines out like a pro

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    That's really more Mafia 2's fault than North's.

I remember reading an article once when Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia, Uncharted, and the like were coming out and North seemed like he was everywhere. He said he went into Ubisoft and they asked him to basically do Drake for PoP.

I don't blame anyone, I just think it's an example of the end of the world of videogaming wrapping itself around to the other side, and Nolan North just so happens to be there twice as a result. Sorta like how if you go through one side of the screen in Pac-Man you'll come out the other side.
    Madican wrote: »
    Murder Miners can be perfect with just one change.

Disabling sniper rifles.

I had a lot of fun with the sniper rifle during the PA game. It basically turned the entire aboveground portion of the CTF map we did into a no man's land for a decent length of time.

Like any game though, it's useless in tight corridors (like the underground canals or inside the bases). It's also balanced a bit by the fact that it doesn't come with a lot of ammo, so if your other slot is filled by a hookshot (to get you to a nice vantage point) you really have to make every shot count because fairly soon you'll be out of rounds and practically defenseless.

If anything is overpowered I think it's the shotgun's cloak ability. If you are in a game with a lot of people and you get off to a good start (say, three kills with no deaths) then knock out a couple blocks from a wall in some out of the way area and just cloak up and hide there for the rest of the round you'll win. Everyone will be too busy fighting each other to wonder about that single arrow that isn't moving, and since you killed three other players without dying your k/d ratio of 300% will almost assuredly put you at the top of the post match leaderboard.

I had a lot of fun with the sniper rifle too, but on open maps it just became way too OP, especially Blood Gulch. I was able to pop people as they spawned, as they moved across the map, people in the vehicles, and even other snipers. There was no other weapon that was even half as good as the sniper rifle on open maps. I frequently ran out of ammo because I lived long enough that I could sink every bullet into someone without dying because I could see them coming and send them to kingdom come.

What really turned the aboveground part of the map into no-man's land though was the combination of sniper rifles and flyers. Once a team had snipers and people in both flyers, the other team could literally do nothing. If they came out to fight the flyers they got sniped. If they tried to counter-snipe they got exploded by the fliers. That CTF map was the least fun of the entire night.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Zxerol wrote: »

10 mainline, and that's if you don't count XI's 5 expansions and 3 scenarios, or XIV re-releasing as two. :P
    VIII, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XIII, XIII-2, XIII-3 XIV

But also, re-releases of virtually every single other one, multiple times, on multiple platforms (if he hasn't played since VII), including, since 1997:

FFI: WSC, PS1, GBA, PSP, VC, PSN, Phones, 3DS e-shop (Japan only).
    FFII: WSC, PS1, GBA, PSP, VC, PSN, Phones
    FFIII: DS, VC (Japan only), Phones, PSP, Ouya, Steam
    FFIV: PS1, WSC, GBA, DS, PSP, Phones, Steam
    FFV: PS1, GBA, Phones
    FFVI: PS1, GBA, Phones

EDIT: Of those, III and IV got full remakes on the DS, and now Steam. I, II, IV, V and VI have all seen HD remakes for phones, and several have also gotten different 2D sprite remakes for the PSP and GBA (though the GBA V and VI were the same visuals as the base game with a bit of content added).

Plus a few spin-offs, including Before Crisis (Japan), Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core, Advent Children (movie), revenant Wings, FFIV: TAY, Type-0, Agito, Tactics, Tactics Advance, Tactics A2, a bunch of Crystal Chronicles games, Dissidia, 4 Heroes, ATB, Theatrhythm, Curtain Call...

And FFXV coming next year, and the FF I'm currently most excited about, Explorers for the 3DS.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Can't wait until FF15 is released on PC four years after it's console release date!

...:(

• Options
    BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    For those that are interested, I will be continuing my Magical Diary stream at my Twitch channel in about 15 minutes or so. Whether or not I get kicked out of school (which is a possibility), I may be finishing it up tonight!

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

10 mainline, and that's if you don't count XI's 5 expansions and 3 scenarios, or XIV re-releasing as two. :P

But also, re-releases of virtually every single other one, multiple times, on multiple platforms (if he hasn't played since VII), including, since 1997:

EDIT: Of those, III and IV got full remakes on the DS, and now Steam. I, II, IV, V and VI have all seen HD remakes for phones, and several have also gotten different 2D sprite remakes for the PSP and GBA (though the GBA V and VI were the same visuals as the base game with a bit of content added).

Plus a few spin-offs, including Before Crisis (Japan), Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core, Advent Children (movie), revenant Wings, FFIV: TAY, Type-0, Agito, Tactics, Tactics Advance, Tactics A2, a bunch of Crystal Chronicles games, Dissidia, 4 Heroes, ATB, Theatrhythm, Curtain Call...

And FFXV coming next year, and the FF I'm currently most excited about, Explorers for the 3DS.

I had games between 8-14 correct in my head and yet somehow managed to count only nine. So I'm going to pull a mulligan and pick one at random and say it totally doesn't count at all.

8. FF8 totally doesn't count. It's not even a real game. Therefore, only nine.

• Options
    edited September 2014

I had games between 8-14 correct in my head and yet somehow managed to count only nine. So I'm going to pull a mulligan and pick one at random and say it totally doesn't count at all.

FFVIII is so a real game.

The card collecting and playing just had the misfortune of being attached to the JRPG mini-game.
    I totally stole that from someone here, but I don't remember who. I enjoyed FFVIII, but Triple Triad was definitely it's high point

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Kalnaur wrote: »

12 has fine characters; hell, some of them are fantastic (Balthier). The problem isn't the characters, but the fact that the game kinda forgets they're there towards the end and focuses entirely on world stage events...and then tries to bring it back to the characters at the very end.

For the record I really liked 12, but there was clearly some lack of oversight (or two many hands in the pot) on the scenario design because yeah, they kinda lost it there for awhile.

Oh I really enjoy 12, but yes that's more what I mean; they send you off on a grand world-spanning plot that relates very little to any but a few of the characters.

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    and FF III on the SNES is FF VI?

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    Thanks @akajaybay for Consortium! It's definitely one I've been curious about so I got it installing while I caught up on the thread. Looks like it'll be ready to check out after I tuck into dinner in a minute here.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

FFVIII is so a real game.

The card collecting and playing just had the misfortune of being attached to the JRPG mini-game.
    I totally stole that from someone here, but I don't remember who. I enjoyed FFVIII, but Triple Triad was definitely it's high point
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDvgHkUCCtA

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Honestly while I have trouble focusing on big, singleplayer RPG's the Final Fantasy games are things I still enjoy because of the soundtracks and looks.

If it didn't have a sub fee I'd probably still be playing A Ream Reborn.

• Options
    and FF III on the SNES is FF VI?

Yes. And SNES 2 was IV.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    for reals FF6 was pretty much the last FF game I really got into.

I dunno who are these clowns that keep on pushing for an FF7 remake when the superior game is right there.

I would pay a princely sum in Steam dollars* for a remake of that game that isn't buttz.

(*Current conversion of $Texas Steam Dollars = ~15 US dollars, give or take. Depends if there's an imminent sale. And if I'm not lazy. Maybe. It depends.)

Zxerol on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    @Maguano one word: gunswords

Dissidia-Revolver.png

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Is someone going to step up to make a new thread, or will Iolo be tasked with yet again putting the team on his back?

Tune in next week to find out.

• Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular

Dissidia-Revolver.png

The worst part about that word is that it's plural.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Am I the only one that actually likes Lightning?

I feel like I'm the only one. I know some people hate her becuase they feel like she started to get shoved down their throats but she's probably the only protagonist in the series I really remember thinking "okay, this character is actually pretty cool".

She's like The Terminator of FF heroes. No romance subplots, she just speaks softly and carries a big ass sword gun.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

I feel like I'm the only one. I know some people hate her becuase they feel like she started to get shoved down their throats but she's probably the only protagonist in the series I really remember thinking "okay, this character is actually pretty cool".

She's like The Terminator of FF heroes. No romance subplots, she just speaks softly and carries a big ass sword gun.

I think Lightning is a great character. Not the mascot SE seemed to think she was, and their constant pushing her on everyone kinda diminished it a bit; but I felt she carried XIII fine.

As far as female characters in FF games go, I think she's at, or at least damn near, the top, quality and characterization wise.

• Options
    Ryadic wrote: »

Dissidia-Revolver.png

There's two gunblade users in the entire game. Those two are the suicidal emo and the psychotic lunatic.

No one else uses gunblades except those two. Because they know better.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

Pink hair.

Nuf said.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    I only every completed VII and X. I'm going though I on my phone as said. I started VIII, IX, XII though.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Pink hair.

Nuf said.
    I actually thinks that a rather humorous character design touch considering her personality.

I don't think that was intentional on their part but still.

Lightning. Destroyer of worlds, reaper of mens souls, kawaii hairdo.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    FF13 doesn't do that thing some FF games do where you fight the entire game against one or two particular enemies, and then in the last ten minutes, the final boss turns out to be The Concept of Hatred or something, does it?

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

Pink hair.

Nuf said.
    I actually thinks that a rather humorous character design touch considering her personality.

I don't think that was intentional on their part but still.

Lightning. Destroyer of worlds, reaper of mens souls, kawaii hairdo.

I read somewhere that it totally was intentional. It was meant to soften her up a bit from being too masculine or some such thing.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    FF13 doesn't do that thing some FF games do where you fight the entire game against one or two particular enemies, and then in the last ten minutes, the final boss turns out to be The Concept of Hatred or something, does it?

Not really, the last boss is pretty clear from well before it; but that's not to say it has very well fleshed out villains however.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

Dissidia-Revolver.png

There's two gunblade users in the entire game. Those two are the suicidal emo and the psychotic lunatic.

Three. One is used in a minigame, and it was implied that Galbadian troops were required to train with one.

In fact, looking at their concept art, they might be using a much less stupid version OF a gunblade.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I'm still playing through Borderlands 2 because I get bored with it each session after a couple hours. Story Spoilers:
    I got to where we fight Bloodwing. That's some sad shit. Mordecai was my boy in Borderlands 1, he was my favorite class and Bloodwing was awesome. Human characters dying is one thing, but pets that are awesome dying is another. :cry:

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »

Dissidia-Revolver.png

Three. One is used in a minigame, and it was implied that Galbadian troops were required to train with one.

In fact, looking at their concept art, they might be using a much less stupid version OF a gunblade.

Using one in a minigame doesn't really count as being a gunblade user when Laguna's chosen weapon is still a sword. As for Galbadian soldiers, notice how none of them continued to use a gunblade after being trained.

• Options
    MudzgutMudzgut OhioRegistered User regular
    I'm still playing through Borderlands 2 because I get bored with it each session after a couple hours. Story Spoilers:
    I got to where we fight Bloodwing. That's some sad shit. Mordecai was my boy in Borderlands 1, he was my favorite class and Bloodwing was awesome. Human characters dying is one thing, but pets that are awesome dying is another. :cry:

Response to the spoiler...looks like we function the same way Koopah.
    I lost my shit when that happened. Mordecai was my boy too in BL1. I took a short break and then sat back down to flat our ANNIHILATE EVERYTHING because I wanted nothing more than to get my hands on Jack.

steam_sig.png

Twitch/Mudzgut
    Fall down seven times. Stand up eight.
  • Options
    PA DallasPA Dallas Registered User regular
    Berylline wrote: »
    For those that are interested, I will be continuing my Magical Diary stream at my Twitch channel in about 15 minutes or so. Whether or not I get kicked out of school (which is a possibility), I may be finishing it up tonight!

Enjoyed the stream. Good luck on your career herding cats. :)

I saw a werewolf drinkin' a pina colada at Trader Vic's.
    And his hair was perfect.
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    PA Dallas wrote: »

should be hearding bunnies.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    PA Dallas wrote: »

should be hearding bunnies.

Gif-Bunny-swarm.gif

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I hope this means that Kingdom Hearts III (and maybe a compilation of the first two games) is coming to Steam as well.

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    I hope this means that Kingdom Hearts III (and maybe a compilation of the first two games) is coming to Steam as well.

I'll take those either on Steam or on my Vita (the older ones) in a heartbeat...

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Speaking of Jennifer Hale, I read a Polygon feature about the voice acting for the second Planetary Annihilation game. She's definitely a pro, and totally on point. She walks in, says something like "Can my character be well traveled? Could she have lived in Australia?" And then she knocks her lines out like a pro

Just a correction: that was for Defense Grid 2, not Planetary Annihilation.

Speaking of voice actors in video games, I just learned a few weeks ago that the lady who plays Skylar in Breaking Bad was the voice of Ariel in all the Legacy of Kain games. That was a surprise.

This discussion has been closed.