As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Sims 4 : Come Play Dolls With Me! :D

12346»

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Vic wrote: »
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    So the first expansion is out.

£35.

They've added ghosts.

Sims 4 launched, what ? 3 weeks ago ?

Ah, EA, how I'm missed your rip-off antics.

Where are you seeing the "expansion" on the store? All I see is a notice saying "Get Spooky" advertising the October update. The price you're seeing is just for the game (Sims 4) itself.

Ah, ok. I'm seeing the same thing but it looks like an advert for an expansion.

"Ghosts have arrived. £34.84. See how to live it up in the afterlife and scare your Sims."

I'm still blaming EA, but I'm changing what I'm blaming them FOR.

I'm pretty sure that's the price of the full game you are seeing. It's currently on a 33% sale in the EA store.
    Link?

I see it on origin.com, but it might not be a global offer. I'm seeing the Swedish price.

Vic on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Price on the US store is currently 59.99

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    So Sims 4 is getting its first expansion pack (since I guess the outdoor one is not considered to be an expansion pack?) called Get to Work. At first I thought it just added things back in that were core to the last game, but instead I believe it just adds in more 'interactive careers' that came in Sims 3 expansion packs, like fire fighters and paranormal investigators. Those careers were fun for a little while, but ultimately I got tired of their repetitiveness, not to mention bugginess, so tended to just skip them.

It's possible the careers might work better here, since separete 'zones' can be created for the businesses, which may make things run more smoothly. Overall, I'd say I'm pretty on the fence about this whole thing, but I have been playing Sims 4 again and still find it to be a fairly enjoyable game, despite all my reservations about what has been lost.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Any word or rumors on a console version?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    It's been a while since anyone has posted here, but has anyone picked up Back to Work ?

I'm really liking it. My professional painter has just build her first rocket ship, and is exploring space.

I briefly tried a scientist character, and following her to work is fun. You get to invent stuff, experiment with equipment and generally Do Science.

I've not tried the detective yet, and I doubt I'll be opening my own store - my sims crave adventure and discovery, not base commerce ! (Although my artist IS about to hit 100k in savings. As soon as she fulfils her Weath Aspiration I'm looking forward to finally expanding my house up or down a floor.)

• Options
    elfgirlelfgirl Registered User new member
    I NEED Get To Work. Need it.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Hopefully it's okay to resurrect this thread for a question.

Some of the Sims 4 stuff is currently on sale on Origin, including Get to Work. Is it worth the $20 if I'm not super excited about the new careers? Some of the other stuff looks interesting, like Photography and the retail lot stuff.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular

Some of the Sims 4 stuff is currently on sale on Origin, including Get to Work. Is it worth the $20 if I'm not super excited about the new careers? Some of the other stuff looks interesting, like Photography and the retail lot stuff.

As a related question, is the base game worth $20? I'm someone who enjoyed 3 but understands it began to implode performance-wise with all of the expansions.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    4 is pretty bare compared to 3, but I'd say it's worth $20.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »

As a related question, is the base game worth $20? I'm someone who enjoyed 3 but understands it began to implode performance-wise with all of the expansions.

It's easily worth $20. I bought it at more or less full price, and was not disappointed.

The biggest expectation to manage going into 4 is that Create a Style is gone. If you mostly played Sims 3 to muck around with CaS, do not buy 4. You'll be upset.

Everything else is golden, and (as always) the modding community is vibrant.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I also really liked it - you can do some really fun stuff.

I have an underground art gallery, where one wall is glass and looks into my swimming pool.

And the rocket ship is aces.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

It's easily worth $20. I bought it at more or less full price, and was not disappointed.

The biggest expectation to manage going into 4 is that Create a Style is gone. If you mostly played Sims 3 to muck around with CaS, do not buy 4. You'll be upset.

Any recommendations on where to find the best mods, or some sort of fancy mod pack? I've never had much luck getting into The Sims modding community and figuring out where the good stuff lies.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular

Any recommendations on where to find the best mods, or some sort of fancy mod pack? I've never had much luck getting into The Sims modding community and figuring out where the good stuff lies.

I'm also interested in this! I haven't picked up the game since a few weeks after release, but I'm interested in giving it another shot.

• Options
    I get most of my mods from modthesims.info and their sister site, sexysims.info (NSFW, natch). You just have to be careful for tuning and script mods that they are compatible/updated for the latest patch. I usually check the comments to see if people are reporting it doesn't work. Most other stuff like objects and lots should be fine.

If the mod is a .package file, it just goes in C:\Users\YOU\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods\. You can also put stuff in subdirectories in that folder to organize it if you add a lot. If it's a script mod (with .py and other types of files in the zip), just put the whole zip file in that directory.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Learning that 4 and Get to Work were on sale did not help my use of time the last few days.

A lot is missing compared to previous entries obviously but holy hell the load times are actually quick and the Scientist job is pretty fun if you enjoy making your sims sometimes be a jerk.

Regarding mods, Sir Carcass has the right idea. A good mod to start with is the MC Command Center as that lets you tweak a lot of stuff from any in game computer.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    My wife was telling me she was prompted to not run all her expansions at once for sims 3? Anyone heard of this know what is going on?

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    "Prompted" how?

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Interesting--I never utilized the CAS functions (my loss I suppose), maybe because I dislike designing houses myself and if I do, I just use existing themes that the game comes with.

Really, I'm more annoyed about functionality (or lack of it). I know why it's done (this is a commercial product after all), but there's a reason I still have The Sims 2 installed. Thank you, Ender.

(On a side note, I am still so pissed I missed an opportunity to grab all TS2 for free on Origin when EA was giving it away. Damn, damn, damn!)

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    My wife was telling me she was prompted to not run all her expansions at once for sims 3? Anyone heard of this know what is going on?

This was added in a little while ago. Basically The Sims 3 is terribly optimized, and having a lot of expansion packs installed leads to very long loading times. Since they're not going to fix it they just added a message saying 'don't do that'.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    TamerBill wrote: »

This was added in a little while ago. Basically The Sims 3 is terribly optimized, and having a lot of expansion packs installed leads to very long loading times. Since they're not going to fix it they just added a message saying 'don't do that'.

So all it does is make it a longer load time? She said she couldn't check all the expansions at once. I haven't had a chance to look at her computer yet to see what it said.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »

So all it does is make it a longer load time? She said she couldn't check all the expansions at once. I haven't had a chance to look at her computer yet to see what it said.

You should still be able to select them all and just click Cancel on the message pop-up.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    Ah, She wasn't logged into her computer, so I would have to see what the dialog box looks like when she is home. I will tell her this though.

• Options
    I ran them all without problem (other than the insane load times).