As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

They did the thing in finale of [The Legend of Korra]!

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    that's bound to happen in any relationship

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    That sounds interesting but a big-ass reason I watch this show is to watch people do elemental kung fu at each other

You can still have plenty of elemental kung fu. There's a ton of cool things you can do with bending that's not just fighting. Also just because there's no big bad doesn't mean there can't be smaller bads to fight.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    JayKaos wrote: »
    He wasn't? Like Taarlok said, he legitimately believed that bending was the source of all the problems in the world, he just happened to be a bender himself.

I think mike and bryan did end up clarifying that it was this but it was pretty unclear what amon's deal actually was just from the finale

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    JayKaos wrote: »
    He wasn't? Like Taarlok said, he legitimately believed that bending was the source of all the problems in the world, he just happened to be a bender himself.

I think mike and bryan did end up clarifying that it was this but it was pretty unclear what amon's deal actually was just from the finale

It seemed really clear to me. They dedicated an entire flashback episode to it and it was (for me) one of the most affecting parts of either series. It makes perfect sense to me how he became who he was and what his beliefs were.

The fact that they had Tarrlok spell it out wasn't even necessary, at that point the audience already gets it (or should, I would think, your mileage may vary)

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    That sounds interesting but a big-ass reason I watch this show is to watch people do elemental kung fu at each other

Which is also why this season has also been so disappointing. The action scenes have really been lacking

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I dunno, any fight involving Kuvira this season has been pretty dang good.

sig.gif
  • Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    The exchange between her and Suyin was amazing.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    so there's a person on Reddit who claims to work at Viacom in some capacity and have seen the finale

a mod has said they provided proof of some kind

they're being real tight-lipped, but there's a few interesting tidbits they've dropped
    https://www.reddit.com/r/TheLastAirbender/comments/2plp65/b4e1314_get_pumped_everyone/
    I'm expecting the romance to be Zhu Li-Varrick. I'm hoping it's Korrasami.

All I will say is that romance figures prominently in both episodes

I like that the show has really stepped up its romance game to become more mature and nuanced than the first few seasons, I think

And the romance is, shall I say, not necessarily confined to only one pairing.
    Is there anything that we will be truly surprised by, in the sense that it would be risky for Nick/Viacom to do?

Hmmmmm I'd say sort of?
    It's great to see that you think the large majority of fans will love the finale. Are there any plot developments (or lack thereof) that will leave a sizable chunk of fans frustrated or disappointed?

No, not really. Maybe just the absence of a character or two that people would have liked to see. But it's so hard to fit everything into such a short time
    Is there a time skip?

A little one

• Options
    Also confirmed: Zhu Li does lots of things.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Hopefully she won't Zhu Li it up and Varrick the whole finale.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    The thing that made me think Amon was faking it was the fact that he faked the scar. Like, the idea of a guy being so dedicated to his ideals and his (admittedly crazy) cause that he would disfigure his own face just to get people to believe in him... I mean, that's a pretty powerful image to me. The fact that at the last moment his scar turns out to be a fake is what sort of killed it for me. I mean, literally how Korra beat him was by convincing all of his followers that he wasn't being sincere about his intentions.

• Options
    I took it more that she beat him by showing he was a hypocrite, not insincere.

• Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Wasn't Korra only supposed to be one season? I'm guessing they lost a lot of valuable character development in that first season because they hadn't planned on going farther. I think if they had planned on doing 50 episodes from the start then it would have been far more solid. I feel like they had to play catch up with developing the main characters and then more were added so they had to derail other characters for new characters.

I've seen series that are 10 to 14 episodes that are incredible and have great character development for everyone and an awesome story. I've also watched series that are 24 episodes that do really badly with character development and in the end it just feels kind of awful in total.

It's been awhile since I looked (and I don't remember where you could find any of this stuff now) but I recall it being stated that Korra was only supposed to be 12 episodes. Somewhere in production Nick ordered a second season. When that was in production, Nick ordered seasons 3 & 4. So Korra didn't have the most stable development.

• Options
    Weirdly enough, this is the earliest source I'm finding for the initial episode order expansion:

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/03/08/the-last-airbender-legend-of-korra-the-creators-speak/
    Nickelodeon had picked up “Korra” for 12 episodes but recently decided to order 14 more shows.

And here's the announcement when they ordered books 3 and 4: http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/07/11/legend-of-korra-second-season/

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    The network ordering extra episodes is how most shows work. Like with Justice League, they thought the show was going to end after the second season so they did Starcrossed, but then they got picked up for more episodes. Then they thought the show was going to end after the Cadmus arc, that's why they made Epilogue, but then they got picked up for more episodes. Ironically, they thought that they would get more episodes for the Legion of Doom arc but then CN decided not to give them more episodes.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Finale is up on Nick.com!

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    book 4 wasn't very good
    but that is about as korrasami of an ending as we were ever going to get

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    I really liked book 4. All the haters can just go on hating and I won't care.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    I loved book 4 start to finish. I loved the ending. It was more than I expected, but less than I wanted. Beautiful, well developed, and it genuinely worked. So sad we won't get any more.

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    -Tal wrote: »
    book 4 wasn't very good
    but that is about as korrasami of an ending as we were ever going to get

ehhhh
    they kinda toed the line with that. I can see how it might be the best they can do if they felt like the two of them straight up making out would be crossing some sort of line with their demographic/advertisers/homophobes.

But yeah, it's kinda hard to ignore that they decided to close specifically on the two of them, and yes, I'm sure two very good friends going on a romantic journey into the spirit world, holding eachother's hands, looking into one another's eyes, are totally, definitely, 100% platonic, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more.

Still would have preferred something more concrete and literal instead of just super obvious subtext.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    that was really good

• Options
    they brought back airbending napoleon dynamite but they left kai out entirely smh

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I let out a "holy shit" and a giggle in disbelief at that last shot

didn't totally feel earned but maybe that's preferable to a drawn out version, honestly

this season was mixed for me but I enjoyed this as a season and series ender. Gonna miss having avatar around.

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    ahhh man that was a good finale but I still want more!

• Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    that last shot tho

the dream is alive

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Considering how much they mirrored the finale of TLA, that ending pretty much confirms it.

• Options
    eddizhereeddizhere Scrubber Than A Sponge Scrubtown, USARegistered User regular
    that was great, makes me wish there was more

League of Legends: Plutoniumwombat
    Smite: Plutoniumwombat
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    I let out a "holy shit" and a giggle in disbelief at that last shot

didn't totally feel earned but maybe that's preferable to a drawn out version, honestly

this season was mixed for me but I enjoyed this as a season and series ender. Gonna miss having avatar around.
    that last shot tho

the dream is alive

I haven't watched it yet. Do these mean what I think they mean?

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    NO ANSWERS

WATCH IT FIRST

• Options
    yeah it turns out kai is the next avatar it's pretty crazy

• Options
    I was not expecting Tahno to show up again I'll give them that

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    YES MORE SOUTHERN STYLE BIG BAND MUSIC I LOVE IT I DRINK IT!

• Options
    I remember way back when this series was in season 1 I ran across the tumblr (or maybe it was another type of blog then? sheesh, it's been a while) of a talented artist who seemed to post nothing but art shipping Korra and Tahno

I wonder what she's doing now

I hope she's taking care of herself

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    That was a good finale. The wedding was adorable. Honestly thought they were going to kill off Mako for a bit. They sidelined him so hard this season, I was kinda worried.

Thought the resolution to Kuvira was a little flat though. Giving up and going to jail seems kind of anticlimactic considering what all Kuvira did.

Also like KingofMadCows said, that last shot is basically a carbon copy of Aang and Katara at the end of the first series. So yeah, there's no doubt in my mind that those two are more than friends, as it were.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Maybe if we complain long enough they'll do a post series comic that confirms it until it's all quietly swept under the rug.

• Options
    finale
    7jhOV7d.jpg

basically

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    they brought back airbending napoleon dynamite but they left kai out entirely smh

Kai was in the same shot with him.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Well. We said they were getting close to the anime line
    And then they go with an Akira explosion.

Can't say I disapprove.

And yeah. Yeah, they went there. Not a shock, but it was pretty clear.

Again, not going to disapprove.

chiasaur11 on