As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wherefore Singularity Engine? Blame the [Star Wars] thread.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The B stands for 'best'.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    The B stands for Blake.

I made them.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    You guys should see the next design.

I call it a T wing

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    As long as it isn't as awkward as the J-Wing.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    A ship designed for Flight School training, the SCH-Wing

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    No, the letter designation is just a series number, with most of the alphabet having been discontinued. The A- and X- Wings' onomatopoeia are just a coincidence.

RZ-1 "A-Wing"
    T-65-B "X-Wing"
    BTL-A4/BTL-S3 "Y-Wing"
    A/SF-01 "B-Wing"

Doesn't check out.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Considering they don't even use the same alphabet it is even more ridiculous. It is best not to try to think about it. They were named that way because they sounded cool. That is the answer.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    the B stands for barge

as in, how it flies

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    So, this is pretty big.
    CBR.com wrote:
    Even if have you’ve already watched the animated Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion in its repeated airings on Disney Channel and Disney XD, they now have a big reason to tune in Oct. 26 for the ABC broadcast: Disney has announced the special presentation will include an additional scene featuring Darth Vader.

“We wanted to do something special for the ABC broadcast,” Executive Producer Dave Filoni said in a statement. “We’ve added a scene which gives audiences insight into the Inquisitor and includes a cameo by Darth Vader voiced by the distinguished actor James Earl Jones.”

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    My older brother got one of those middle road LED lightsabers for his birthday and my two year old nephew immediately took off swinging it around.

So then I started looking at the more expensive habsro lightsabers with the metal handles and the removable blades. Luckily the one I'd much prefer, Luke's original Lightsaber, is I guess out of production and way more expensive on amazon so I managed to avoid that expense.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Watched Rebels

it seemed okay

a little too similar to Season One of Clone Wars but considering how that show shaped up I am happy to give it the benefit of the doubt

the animation and model quality is a definite step down from Clone Wars though (I know CG shows benefit from long runs because it lets them build up a model library and what not but still)

I watched the little trailer for the Clone Wars The Lost Adventures DVD and it was just so much nicer looking than Rebels

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    it's called the b wing because it's 10% worse than the a wing

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Watched Rebels

it seemed okay

a little too similar to Season One of Clone Wars but considering how that show shaped up I am happy to give it the benefit of the doubt

the animation and model quality is a definite step down from Clone Wars though (I know CG shows benefit from long runs because it lets them build up a model library and what not but still)

I watched the little trailer for the Clone Wars The Lost Adventures DVD and it was just so much nicer looking than Rebels

I still can't stand the character designs.

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    For serious I think the B-Wing is supposed to be short for bomber. Which is obviously a quick fix sort of thing but whatevs.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    My older brother got one of those middle road LED lightsabers for his birthday and my two year old nephew immediately took off swinging it around.

So then I started looking at the more expensive habsro lightsabers with the metal handles and the removable blades. Luckily the one I'd much prefer, Luke's original Lightsaber, is I guess out of production and way more expensive on amazon so I managed to avoid that expense.

Parksabers.com

Bright, more durable blades that are removable. Comes with free belt/clip. Available in many styles (Annakin, Luke, Vader, Obi-wan (episode 1&3), Assoka, Windu and some custom designs) and colors (red, yellow, blue, green, purple, orange) and even lengths (24 or 36 inches).

Downside: no sound effects, $120 average price and a 8 week crafting time.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Nocren wrote: »

Parksabers.com

Bright, more durable blades that are removable. Comes with free belt/clip. Available in many styles (Annakin, Luke, Vader, Obi-wan (episode 1&3), Assoka, Windu and some custom designs) and colors (red, yellow, blue, green, purple, orange) and even lengths (24 or 36 inches).

ultrasabers.com has sound options and a more varied selection for lower-end sabers

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    If you want to make fun of a rebel fighter, the y-wing is right there

in the death star trenches

getting shot down from behind

while having a rear facing gunner with an ion cannon

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    If you want to make fun of a rebel fighter, the y-wing is right there

in the death star trenches

getting shot down from behind

while having a rear facing gunner with an ion cannon

That's the incompetent gunner's fault, not the ship.

The ship was doing its best.

• Options
    there weren't any gunners, though! totally should have been, I mean it's not like they couldn't scrounge up like a tech or something to sit back there

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Man everyone's favorite ships so far have all been fighters, personally my favorites are the iconic and badass Imperial Star Destroyers

Imperial_Star_Destroyers_by_Balsavor.jpg

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    My favorite ship is the...pffft...Darksaber...

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    To be fair the dark saber was if nothing else a cool idea (and it looks pretty cool) basically just "hey, why couldn't you just build the giant ass laser without the space station around it?"

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    I never read Star Wars books as a lad but one of my friends was a huge fan. I remember him talking about the Suncrusher and how awesome that sounded to 11-year-old me.

• Options
    Mysst wrote: »

Parksabers.com

ultrasabers.com has sound options and a more varied selection for lower-end sabers

If I want a Luke ESB style one with sound it ends up being wayyyy more expensive than the Hasbro one even if the quality is way better. Still way more money than I want to spend on something to spin around in my room when I'm alone.

• Options

Parksabers.com

If I want a Luke ESB style one with sound it ends up being wayyyy more expensive than the Hasbro one even if the quality is way better. Still way more money than I want to spend on something to spin around in my room when I'm alone.

that's what she said!

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    I never read Star Wars books as a lad but one of my friends was a huge fan. I remember him talking about the Suncrusher and how awesome that sounded to 11-year-old me.

It's almost like an 11 year old wrote it.

(i kid because I love. I ate those books up)

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options

Parksabers.com

that's what she said!

When I read it before posting I even thought that but decided to roll with it.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    NBfrigate.JPG

My favorite.

My favorite small ship is the Y Wing, but that's because it had an ion cannon in X-Wing VS Tie Fighter. And I loved the A wing because it was fast.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I like the Executor because I have a small penis IT'S SO COOL.
    ewBZ475.jpg

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    pffffffffft

j4rVFxJ.jpg

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    pffffffffft

j4rVFxJ.jpg

Mate

your ship's melting a bit there mate

might want to look into that

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    int he rogue squadron games i was an ace with a Y-Wing. you needed shit dead? Y-Wing. Needed a good time? Y-Wing. Needed an all around craft capable of handling and mission type? TIE Interceptor.

• Options
    007ctrl_room007ctrl_room Registered User regular
    this thread really makes me want to play rogue squadron again

LFGdating | In twenty years I'll still be playing Red Alert ... and Goldeneye.
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I don't think any SW game was as much fun for me as when you get swarmed by TIEs at the start of the Battle of Endor mission. That just summed of space battles and being able to play it was awesome.

• Options
    I liked playing the V-wing but then I am a super fan of Macross-style missile barrages

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    not all Y-wings had a rear gunner

but Y wings could be pretty great in some games yes

I've never played a game where the B-wing really panned out as a viable ship. I'd always rather have an X-wing if I needed torpedoes

In Galaxies, the B-wing was notable for having the highest mass-supporting superstructure in the game, but there wasn't any content to make that worthwhile

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    How would you even implement the main feature of the B-Wing, the rotating cockpit, into a game in a reasonable way?

• Options
    you can't, it was terrible

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    its actually not supremely hard. there has been a game that did it, can't remember which one

you just make the cockpit your 0,0,0 coordinate of the object... if you rotate on that then you'll get rotation on the cockpit

most games don't bother though, since you'd need special camera code and cockpit code to not half-ass it

Jasconius on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    b-wing was basically the f-35 of the rebel alliance

This discussion has been closed.