As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. - Special Tournament with PRIZES on Dec. 13th

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    McFlynn wrote: »
    This gamecube controller adapter situation is getting me legitimately furious with nintendo. How many did they make, fucking twelve?

Considering they're the only large game publisher that can consistently release high profile games that aren't full of bugs or glaringly incomplete, I'm willing to forgive a shortage on an in-demand product.

Considering if I don't get my hands on an adapter in the next month or two I'm just going to say fuck it and ebay my copy of smash because I fucking hate playing it on wii u controllers, kinda a big deal to me.

The pro controller is fine for Smash.

For you, sure.

Have you tried it?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Switched to my Wii Pro controller. I'm faring much better than with wii mote and nunchuck, but I can just tell some of the people I'm fighting are either pros from Brawl or are definitely using GC controllers. Just from their movements and techniques like consistently short hopping and back airing. Blah. Game is frustrating.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    This gamecube controller adapter situation is getting me legitimately furious with nintendo. How many did they make, fucking twelve?

Considering they're the only large game publisher that can consistently release high profile games that aren't full of bugs or glaringly incomplete, I'm willing to forgive a shortage on an in-demand product.

Considering if I don't get my hands on an adapter in the next month or two I'm just going to say fuck it and ebay my copy of smash because I fucking hate playing it on wii u controllers, kinda a big deal to me.

For you, sure.

Have you tried it?

Yes. Been using it since friday.

I fucking hate it for Smash and it's marring my enjoyment of the game so much that I'm playing maybe 2-3 rounds a night before I'm done, and I'm completely ignoring the online.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

I thought this then I started playing with the GC controller and something just feels lovely.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

For you, sure.

Have you tried it?

I fucking hate it for Smash and it's marring my enjoyment of the game so much that I'm playing maybe 2-3 rounds a night before I'm done, and I'm completely ignoring the online.

Well, I can't tell you you're wrong since a controller issue like that is a very personal thing, but I can say that it will come back in stock eventually.

Alternately, check nearby Gamestops: http://www.gamestop.com/browse/storesearch.aspx?sku=101985

There are two stores near me that have them. Want me to see if I can grab one and send it to you?

• Options
      Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
      Taramoor wrote: »

For you, sure.

Have you tried it?

Well, I can't tell you you're wrong since a controller issue like that is a very personal thing, but I can say that it will come back in stock eventually.

Alternately, check nearby Gamestops: http://www.gamestop.com/browse/storesearch.aspx?sku=101985

There are two stores near me that have them. Want me to see if I can grab one and send it to you?

I appreciate the offer a lot but I don't want to put anyone out. Been calling every gamestop and best buy I can physically get to every day and the universal response is "dunno when/if we'll get them.

It's just especially pissing me off because my friends and I were going to have our first smash party on Friday, and now it's looking like that's canceled. And even more frustrating since they've got a wall of smash gc controllers they'll happily sell you, that nobody can use until some unknown point in the future, maybe, if you're lucky. Like you think some guy at Nintendo would have spoken up with "maybe we shouldn't make these controllers and the adapter necessary to use them at a 50-1 ratio"

I get that my anger comes off as irrational but to me it's just another chapter in Jesus Christ, Nintendo, Stop Being Insane.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    • Options
      DracilDracil Registered User regular
      As a not Melee player, I've actually been wavering between the Pro and GCN controllers myself. On the one hand, I can see exactly why people love the GCN controller, on the other hand, I actually somewhat dislike the GCN's shoulder button placement/triggers.

After reading http://smashboards.com/threads/most-efficient-controller-setup-in-depth-look.379200/ I'm somewhat convinced and will be trying his setup on the Pro controller for a bit.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
      Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
      MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    • Options
      SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
      edited November 2014
      Somebody mentioned this previously, but there are also these ugly as sin controllers not those, these that are supposedly nearly identical to GC ones.

Might be worth a shot.

Surfpossum on
    • Options
      KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
      Surfpossum wrote: »
      Somebody mentioned this previously, but there are also these ugly as sin controllers that are supposedly nearly identical to GC ones.

Might be worth a shot.

You know what, I thought those were Nintendo branded GC controllers just with different names and icons. I didn't think they were completely different controllers. Huh, I wonder how well they work.

• Options
      ColumnColumn Registered User regular
      Somebody mentioned this previously, but there are also these ugly as sin controllers that are supposedly nearly identical to GC ones.

Might be worth a shot.
      Another thread on here, maybe the Wii U thread, someone said the PDP one felt like garbage compared to these Hori ones. YMMV so you'd want to be able to pick them up in the store.

For Hori their products are all over the place when they make the buttons themselves. Some Hori Real Arcade Pro arcade sticks over the years have terrible, mushy, register-less buttons but then some of their later and newer products the buttons feel just a notch below Sanwa and Seimitsu quality.

• Options
      SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
      Column wrote: »

Might be worth a shot.
      Another thread on here, maybe the Wii U thread, someone said the PDP one felt like garbage compared to these Hori ones. YMMV so you'd want to be able to pick them up in the store.

For Hori their products are all over the place when they make the buttons themselves. Some Hori Real Arcade Pro arcade sticks over the years have terrible, mushy, register-less buttons but then some of their later and newer products the buttons feel just a notch below Sanwa and Seimitsu quality.
      I didn't realize those were two different products, thanks for the correction!

• Options
      TDawgTDawg Registered User regular

Might be worth a shot.

I have said it many times before and I will say it many times after this, people interested in a Gamecube-style pad that is actually just a Wii Classic Controller should look into the Hori Battle Pad, which looks to literally be a Gamecube controller with different guts that is compatible with any game compatible with a Wii Classic Controller. I haven't used one so I guess I can't guarantee it, but it seems to be much mor ein line with what I actually want.

I will actually be picking one up in the next couple of days hopefully, so I can post my experience with it then if anyone is interested.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
      Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    • Options
      EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
      Do you guys ever wind up having you opponent in one-on-ones die really early on due to some dumb shenanigans that really shouldn't have claimed a stock from them? When that happens, I tend to go and SD in order to bring the fight back into a more even standing, becuase if I'm gonna win, it's gonna be because I outplayed them, by Jove.

But I'm wondering; is that actually considered condescending and insulting, rather than equalizing the result of dumb bullshit neither of us intended?

• Options
      kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
      If Hearthstone has taught us anything about games with minimal communication between the players, it's that anything and everything you do is BM

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
      3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
      Steam profile
    • Options
      StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod

Might be worth a shot.
      You know what, I thought those were Nintendo branded GC controllers just with different names and icons. I didn't think they were completely different controllers. Huh, I wonder how well they work.
      Most people seem to like them, but they are wireless (plug into a Wiimote) in case that's a dealbreaker for you.

YL9WnCY.png
    • Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      Is the wavebird a disadvantage vs the wired one? Or rather is the difference noticeable?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
        Just unlocked this

zlCfzSsIIKIJKZXHY1

LxX6eco.jpg
        PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
      • Options
        King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
        SyphonBlue wrote: »
        Just unlocked this

zlCfzSsIIKIJKZXHY1

It's a fun move but man is it hard to use effectively

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
      • Options
        SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
        SyphonBlue wrote: »
        Just unlocked this

zlCfzSsIIKIJKZXHY1

It's a fun move but man is it hard to use effectively

eh I don't really care about the move

LxX6eco.jpg
      • Options
        GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
        It just dawned on me a few days ago that the meteor bomb custom move for Link would be super effective for edge-guarding. Has anyone tested it?

• Options
        BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
        Enlong wrote: »
        Do you guys ever wind up having you opponent in one-on-ones die really early on due to some dumb shenanigans that really shouldn't have claimed a stock from them? When that happens, I tend to go and SD in order to bring the fight back into a more even standing, becuase if I'm gonna win, it's gonna be because I outplayed them, by Jove.

But I'm wondering; is that actually considered condescending and insulting, rather than equalizing the result of dumb bullshit neither of us intended?

no it's not. anyone you do that to will honestly probably think you're being pretty cool

CD World Tour status:
        Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
      • Options
        BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
        if you want to be insulting you can win without losing any stock, then the next match sd to one and then taunt

CD World Tour status:
        Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
      • Options
        RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
        Just wondering, will anyone else be organizing 3DS tournaments since most people have moved on to the Wii U?

• Options
        Question! It says "Palutena is allowed" in the rules - is she crazy OP or something?
        Palutena and Mii Fighters have all their customs unlocked at the start, so I wanted to make it clear that they are still legal but only with one moveset. Otherwise it's unfair that they can change their moves whereas other characters cannot.
        Aaah, is that gonna be relaxed later on, once people get more familiar with the custom stuff?
        As weeks go on, I will slowly relax the rules until custom are legal and characters can be switched between matches. Not everyone has a ton of free time to play the game to unlock customs, so I want to give everyone a few weeks to do so.

Equipment, however, will always be banned. Stats are randomly generated, so one person could luck into an overpowered loadout, and a lot of effects make for detrimental play.

YL9WnCY.png
      • Options
        Uncle PKUncle PK Registered User regular
        I finally picked this up. I will be rocking out on the console version with my little 4th grade cuz playing as Gannondorf and I as Jigglypuff wearing my best Sunday hat!

Gannon and The Jiggs! Coming this Wednesday on NBC

• Options
        Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
        Has anyone mentioned yet how the Event Matches menu music sounds almost exactly like the opening to Full Metal Alchemist?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pelqB-NXNTg

I can't unhear it.

• Options
        CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
        Is Pit stupidly underpowered, or am I just shitty? Ill wreck level 9 CPUs, and when I play online im rofflestomped. It seems like every single character is faster than me and has longer range. Then again every single person I play online is either Fox, Falco, or a fucking Fire Emblem character.

• Options
        Pit's pretty good.

I think Dark Pit is slightly better, but they both play the same

YL9WnCY.png
      • Options
        Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular

Might be worth a shot.

They work pretty okay, although once I get my adapter it will never see the light of day again.

• Options
        KisidanKisidan Registered User regular
        So SMASH comes out on friday for me, and it is my birthday on saturday, yay!

Unfortunately I only have old style wii controllers. I'm considering buying in a bunch of new ones. Is the Wii U Pro Controller good enough? Could we use three of them and the tablet to play pretty much on an equal footing?

• Options
        SilentRoughWaterSilentRoughWater Registered User regular
        edited November 2014
        I'm not sure how I feel about using the GCN adapter, really. If I didn't already have 3 cube controllers I wouldn't even consider it. I'm thinking of when my wife wants to use them for Mario Kart and I have to explain that they work for literally one game now. The Wii U controller options in general must seem completely bananerz to non-gamers.

Edit: I think someone mentioned this but look at that god damn list of controllers on the back of the smash box!

SilentRoughWater on
        sig.php?user=BrokenBrik

Wii U NNID: TJandSam Steam: BrokenBrik
      • Options
        The Pro Controller is totally fine for Smash. I honestly don't know why I need to go buy another adapter and a Gamecube controller when I have a Pro controller that is already perfect.

LxX6eco.jpg
      • Options
        cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
        Man, I don't know why I held off on playing Crazy Orders for so long. Been unlocking music like, er, crazy.

Also, is it just me, or is Crazy Hand kinda easy?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
      • Options
        Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
        edited November 2014
        Crazy Hand is only difficult when paired with Master Hand

or if you're little mac

Mr. G on
        6F32U1X.png
      • Options
        Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
        I messed around with shulk during my flights the other day. I don't hate him, but stance switching gets me wrecked more often than not. It just feels so clunky and I don't exactly understand how I should be using it. Just seems like all the negatives outweigh the positives.

Is there a visual cue for when stances get recharged? I hate switching all the way to buster just to find it is still down.

He is still great for cruel melee.

Steam
        Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
        Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
        3ds: 3282-2248-0453
      • Options
        WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
        CangoFett wrote: »
        Is Pit stupidly underpowered, or am I just shitty? Ill wreck level 9 CPUs, and when I play online im rofflestomped. It seems like every single character is faster than me and has longer range. Then again every single person I play online is either Fox, Falco, or a fucking Fire Emblem character.
        I have no possible way of knowing if Pit is any good or not, because every single Pit I have ever seen online does nothing but spam side-B over and over until they lose.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
      • Options
        KisidanKisidan Registered User regular
        How is the netcode holding up?

• Options
        McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
        I'm waiting till after the first week post-launch to make my decision because I have had about 50/50 mostly smooth/laggy as hell matches.

• Options
        McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
        Although I wonder why I cant limit online to regional. I had an extremely laggy match with a guy across the world who was obviously well trained in laggy matches. It was so infuriating.

• Options
        Yeah, it's somewhere between good and not great for me. The best matches still have noticeable input delay and I just adjust to it mid match and don't notice it anymore. The worst are slow to a crawl.

This discussion has been closed.