As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. - Special Tournament with PRIZES on Dec. 13th

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Why are they acting like we don't know who the character is? The game is out; it isn't a secret anymore.

Some don't have the game yet, and have avoided spoilers.

Obviously nobody here, since this thread hasn't been one to hide that info.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I'm disappointed they didn't put that video up if they are going to tease it like that. Maybe by the end of the week?

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Ok so I learned that EVERY FUCKING person named daniel uses little mac and is laggy. Ugh

• Options
    JediabiwanJediabiwan Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I'm disappointed they didn't put that video up if they are going to tease it like that. Maybe by the end of the week?

I'm guessing they'll include it in the Wii U video tomorrow.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

perhaps during the streaming event tomorrow night all about smash brothers

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    my first for glory win as luigi!

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Plowing through Smash Run is a goddamn joy after slogging through All-Star mode. Same character order every time, no items, what seems like the same 10 stages, low rewards for a big time investment, bleh. I like me some crazy crap. Plus it's great for picking up moves and equipment.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I'm almost beginning to feel a little bad for the Marths and Lucinas I run into in For Glory. Having no projectiles kind of sucks when you're facing a super fighting robot who uses TONS OF PROJECTILES and can easily grab and throw you whenever you try to approach him by air.
    I actually had a fair bit of trouble against a Lucina as the other super fighting robot once. She kept running at me and jumping over whatever I did, and then once she was in the air I felt like I had no good options. If I tried to attack I'd get outspaced, but if I tried to block it would be a shieldbreaker, so I would just have to roll out of the way and gear nothing out of it. Judicious use of Shieldbreaker and Counter makes it hard to do anything confidently.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I keep looking at this picture to remind me:

Tz3Sfi6.jpg

• Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Wyvern wrote: »
    I'm almost beginning to feel a little bad for the Marths and Lucinas I run into in For Glory. Having no projectiles kind of sucks when you're facing a super fighting robot who uses TONS OF PROJECTILES and can easily grab and throw you whenever you try to approach him by air.
    I actually had a fair bit of trouble against a Lucina as the other super fighting robot once. She kept running at me and jumping over whatever I did, and then once she was in the air I felt like I had no good options. If I tried to attack I'd get outspaced, but if I tried to block it would be a shieldbreaker, so I would just have to roll out of the way and gear nothing out of it. Judicious use of Shieldbreaker and Counter makes it hard to do anything confidently.

Hm. When Lucina/Marth empty jumps at me I usually just turn around, run back out of their range, and send some pivoted lemons, a Metal Blade, or a charged pivot fsmash their way, depending on situation. Or I hop backward and throw up a Leaf Shield before bum rushing them, which tends to throw them off balance and give me a free grab. (Seriously, I think half my wins in For Glory are because I'm like the only MegaMan player who has worked Leaf Shield into his bread and butter and it confuses the hell out of people.)

Maybe you could do something similar with your pivot fsmash, lasers, and gyro? I think the thing to when a Lucina/Marth approachs in the air like that is to bait the double jump and punish it, because once a Lucina/Marth double jumps they lose a lot of their options.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I had some trouble last night as Lucina vs Little Mac. Once I could get him off the edge somehow (or even in the air), Lucina has a great advantage, but it was just so hard to do that. If felt like he could punish me no matter what I did.

I think most of that is a lack of practice in that match, but anyone have any advise in general for my strict training? :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I just played a guy that switched characters everytime I did and every match was a mirror until I picked Rob and he picked Mac.

That was his downfall.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    I had some trouble last night as Lucina vs Little Mac. Once I could get him off the edge somehow (or even in the air), Lucina has a great advantage, but it was just so hard to do that. If felt like he could punish me no matter what I did.

I think most of that is a lack of practice in that match, but anyone have any advise in general for my strict training? :P
    I don't really know how to give advice against Little Mac because every Little Mac I've ever seen in For Glory has been god-awful. Generallay you want to be trying to shield-grab him, because obviously trading blows is a sucker's game. I assume there are ways for him to try and play around this, but I never run into any that do.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

Little Mac's jab and tilts are quick and brutal. If you approach him while he's standing you're just asking to get walloped. You want to be spacing him and baiting him with projectiles so that he can't easily get in one of those attacks.

His other attacks are much more punishable. Generally when I play against a Mac I play very patiently and try to bait them into a dash, because then his only real options are to dash attack, usmash, throw out a special, shield, grab, or roll--and all of these are a lot easier to read and counter than his jab, fsmash, and tilts. Feels kind of like being a matador.

3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Twitch Plays Pokemon is currently Twitch Plays Smash 3DS.

No I don't know who decided that was a good idea. It may have been the devil.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    They won a For Glory match and unlocked several characters.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

The fuck?

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

The fuck?

Apparently it was a 4 player match. One of them was a viewer, so he intentionally let them hit them and then self-destructed so that they'd get the point. They then somehow won in sudden death.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Guess you can't complain about lag when 2,000 guys with a 20s delay beat you.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm getting really cheesed in FG because it feels like I can do nothing. I throw them and they'll immediately double jump or air dodge; there's not ability to follow-up. They throw me and suddenly I'm in super hitstun and have to eat five aerials regardless of when I hit the dodge. If I successfully hit someone on the ground with an aerial, they can IMMEDIATELY respond with an attack. It's ridiculous.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I'm getting really cheesed in FG because it feels like I can do nothing. I throw them and they'll immediately double jump or air dodge; there's not ability to follow-up. They throw me and suddenly I'm in super hitstun and have to eat five aerials regardless of when I hit the dodge. If I successfully hit someone on the ground with an aerial, they can IMMEDIATELY respond with an attack. It's ridiculous.

I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that I'm not very good at Smash and being able to get in a few hits with Ganondorf is all that's been carrying me so far

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    The Super Scope is an item, Duck Hunt represents the Nintendo Zapper and ROB is a character all his own

Whens the Power Glove gonna have a go

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Tairu wrote: »
    The Super Scope is an item, Duck Hunt represents the Nintendo Zapper and ROB is a character all his own

New boss for Smash 5.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

New boss for Smash 5.

I'm honestly surprised that Master Hand hasn't donned the Power Glove yet.

• Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that I'm not very good at Smash and being able to get in a few hits with Ganondorf is all that's been carrying me so far
    I think the problem is that the game has like 50 characters, and you have to learn the proper spacing necessary to deal with them on top of shit like priority, knockback, sweetspots, and so on. And you never know how good a player is, so you can't ever be 100% on a matchup just yet.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I think the problem is that the game has like 50 characters, and you have to learn the proper spacing necessary to deal with them on top of shit like priority, knockback, sweetspots, and so on. And you never know how good a player is, so you can't ever be 100% on a matchup just yet.

This is really not the time to admit to being bad at smash bros - for once "this controller sucks" is a completely valid excuse, gotta milk that while we all can

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Bad: controller not doing what you meant it to do
    Worse: controller not doing what you meant it to do, but it being a better course of action anyways

"I...meant to do that. Yeah."

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    If I ever learn how to deal with off-stage spikes as Ganondorf I'll jump for joy

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »

New boss for Smash 5.

I'm honestly surprised that Master Hand hasn't donned the Power Glove yet.

Right? I honestly expected Master Hand and Crazy Hand to have a new ally in Power Hand.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    it was a mattel product wasn't it

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Probably never, because Nintendo didn't make it.
    Though it was an officially licensed product, Nintendo was not involved in the design or release of this accessory. Rather, it was designed by Grant Goddard and Samuel Cooper Davis for Abrams/Gentile Entertainment (AGE), made by Mattel in the United States[2] and PAX in Japan. Additional development was accomplished through the efforts of Thomas G. Zimmerman and Jaron Lanier, a virtual reality pioneer responsible for co-developing and commercializing the DataGlove[3] who had made a failed attempt at a similar design for Nintendo earlier. Mattel brought in Image Design and Marketing's Hal Berger and Gary Yamron to develop the raw technology into a functional product.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    What Bobkins described is how I feel playing most little macs online.

A lot of the time I either cannot block on reaction due to even miniscule lag, or it seems like I block something and he can jab me before I can throw.

• Options
    Mac can switch from dash attack to jab incredibly fast. I still can't pull it off myself, but then again you shouldn't be approaching with dash attack as Mac.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BigWillieStylesBigWillieStyles Expert flipper of tables Inside my mind...Registered User regular
    Well, the online play still isn't the best, so I usually avoid it honestly. But if I do decide to go online, I'm only doing For Fun. For Glory is just filled with too many people who are too good at the game. There's no sport or fun to be had.

3DS Friend Code: 1006 - 0121 - 6969
    PM me with yours if you add me
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    i'm winning quite a bit as Little Mac online

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I've been holding my own in for glory... and them you guys clobber me.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    BigWillieStylesBigWillieStyles Expert flipper of tables Inside my mind...Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    i'm winning quite a bit as Little Mac online
    Same here, except late at night in For Glory (when the hardcore gamers are usually all that's left.) But I like variety in my online play, so usually, as a rule, I switch to somebody else if I win.

3DS Friend Code: 1006 - 0121 - 6969
    PM me with yours if you add me
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    I know no one will agree with me but I don't really understand the hatred for the 3DS circle pad. It does everything I want it to do fine and feels accurate to me. :/

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    I know no one will agree with me but I don't really understand the hatred for the 3DS circle pad. It does everything I want it to do fine and feels accurate to me. :/

I don't have the same problem most people do; I just have trouble doing forward smashes.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I14NVxa.png
    November 1st @6pm

Preliminary rules for the Halloween event! Rules and time are subject to change, so feedback is welcomed. Yes this time we have items, equipment, and random stages - oh my! It's a competitive player's worst nightmare...will you survive?
    1. Double elimination with each set being the best two of three games, and the three finals (Winner's, Loser's, and Grand) will be three out of five.
    2. Three stock, 1v1 matches with a time limit of 8 minutes (you MUST have unlocked More Rules to do this; get 200 KOs to unlock it)
    3. Sudden Death is ignored: the player who had the lowest damage when time ran out is the winner.
    4. Only Mii Fighters are eligible for play, and they must be designed to match the Halloween theme.
    5. Equipment and alternative moves are allowed, but they must fit you Mii's theme (e.g. Frankenstein's Monster should not be fast)
    6. You can change anything between matches, from which Mii you're using to their equipment and moves.
    7. The following items are allowed: Smash Balls, Bob-bombs, Lightning Bolt, Food, Ore Club, Party Ball, Poison Mushroom, Ray Gun, Blue Shell, Bunny Hood, Super Leaf, Crate, Killer Eye, Gooie Bomb, Pokeballs, Blast Box, Barrel, and Beetle
    8. Each match picks one of the following stages at random: Reset Bomb Forest, Tortimer Island, Spirit Train, Warioware Inc., Magicant, Find Mii, Wily Castle, Pictochat 2, Jungle Japes, Tomodachi Life and Living Room

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
This discussion has been closed.